Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

get a crock number 1 or number 2
get good salt iodine free salt (I like Redmond)
get veggies you want to ferment
clean crock
clean and prep veg
veg into crock
mix brine
I usually add a starter from a previous good ferment or a live pickle I like
brine into crock
follower on top (I use cut down flexible cutting boards)
weights on top of follower
cloth over crock
lid over cloth
skim about once a week (this is scooping mold off the top with a spoon, don’t worry about kahm yeast though)
wait a couple of weeks to a month
transfer to jars
refrigerate

submerge in brine it will be fine. that book I posted is everything you would ever want about the details

This is basically how I do it, but critically I usually do a sauerkraut ferment as the first of the season, as it usually provides the best natural culture. Then for the “add a starter from a pervious good ferment” step I use the brine from the kraut as a starter for more fickle ferments like cucumbers or hot sauce. I also do my ferments in a closed cellar-like space where the temperature stays between 62 and 70 degrees at all times, as I find this produces the best product. I know some disagree and prefer higher temperatures but this works best in my experience.

To OP though it’s also crucial to understand that for all of the science behind it, getting good results from lacto fermentation is intrinsically an unscientific process. For every “tried and true” method you read online you will find multiple alternatives, each of which produces a unique and excellent (or occasionally fail) product. Like all cooking, tasting and adjusting is always going more impactful than following a recipe, and like that other guy said it’s really really hard to kill yourself fermenting veggies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my bougie brother gifted me a bottle of super nice olive oil and it's the most fragrant olive oil I've ever used.

I used it to toast some chickpeas because I'm a dullard and my house still smells like an Italian restaurant.

I'm not mad.

e: drat it's like $40 online. that's 3-4x what I usually front for a bottle

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

my bougie brother gifted me a bottle of super nice olive oil and it's the most fragrant olive oil I've ever used.

I used it to toast some chickpeas because I'm a dullard and my house still smells like an Italian restaurant.

I'm not mad.

Buy giant liter tins of terra Creta it's the best

This is my secret brand so none of you ruin this for me

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

I'm not mad.

make focaccia with it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

olive oil always goes bad on me so quickly. i need to just put it in the fridge, or drink it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

i say swears online posted:

olive oil always goes bad on me so quickly. i need to just put it in the fridge, or drink it

Definitely get tins and pour out only what you think you'll need into something more convenient. Preferable something made of dark glass.

Also I've been getting into european mustards lately and this seems like the thread to talk about that

those fuckers don't mess around with the heat

Almighty Ken
Nov 5, 2006

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Definitely get tins and pour out only what you think you'll need into something more convenient. Preferable something made of dark glass.

Also I've been getting into european mustards lately and this seems like the thread to talk about that

those fuckers don't mess around with the heat

i'm here for mustard chat. hit us with some recommendations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Almighty Ken posted:

hoard the little packets from chinese takeout places

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Re: fermenting chat, lots of very good advice given so far. But one thing I want to add... some of the 'stuff' you 'need' can be intimidating. Crocks, airlocks, iodine free pickling salt...

You don't need any of that stuff.

Here's a sauerkraut I made last week. I had a left over quarter of a cabbage and some carrots that were going bad.

I sliced up the cabbage, grated the carrots, put them in a big bowl, added a good sprinkling of sea salt (if all I had was iodized morton's salt, i would have just used that, no big deal), a couple of garlic cloves, and a few caraway seeds, and then I packed it all super tight into a mason jar. I used a rolling pin (european style, basically a bigass thick dowel rod) to pound it in the jar super tight. then i filled to the top with water and fermented it on the counter with the lid on. the veggies do float to the top if you do this, but i started eating this sauerkraut almost immediately. by the third day it was already pretty sour. i make kimchi the same way.

i will say, it is good to weigh down your veggies if you aren't going to eat them pretty soon (before bacteria can grow). but a good trick you can use is to just weigh them down with a zip-lock bag that's full of brine. make sure the bag is full of brine because if it leaks you don't want it to dilute the salt water.

the amount of salt also doesn't really matter that much. the more salt you use, the crispier it will stay for longer. but that's not necessarily a good thing because if you put enough salt in to make it last for months and months and months then it will probably be too salty to eat straight out of the jar.

to sum it up, all you need to get started is a mason jar, a ziplock bag, salt, and some veggies. good luck!

here's a couple of other good tips:

if you've got a big crock, don't bother slicing your cabbage. cut it in halves or quarters and ferment those directly. you can then peel off the 'leaves' and make stuffed cabbage rolls.

turkish style with mixed vegetables owns, the cauliflower is my favorite. mix carrots, chopped cabbage, tomatillo, peppers, and cauliflower. ferment. oh and i guess add some garlic cloves too, I think, can't remember if that's authentic or not but i probably would because i love garlic.

in central europe, they use big ceramic crocks with built in airlock lids. they sell them here at the local equivalent of home depot in the fall, it's awesome. no need to skim! but make sure the airlock stays full.

in the balkans, they use big plastic tubs without airlocks. instead, they have a spigot on the bottom. every couple of days or weeks, they drain all the liquid and pour it back in. that keeps the bacteria down. you can skim from the top, too, if you need to.

in america, they use open crocks with weights and no spigot. you just skim the bacterial blooms off the top.

don't be afraid to bake with your sauerkraut! it's amazing braised in the oven along with some cheap fatty cuts of pork cooked for a long time. serve with a strong red wine and crusty sourdough. great winter meal.

edit: i just keep thinking about sauerkraut tips

if your sauerkraut does come out too salty, fear not! you can still eat it. just soak it in a bit of water and remove to help cut down the salt!

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Sep 1, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Almighty Ken posted:

Well I'm not very far along on this journey but I've tried these two so far

If you try to use them like you would an american mustard they will destroy your sinuses

it's really closer to a harsh horseradish or wasabi sensation

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

If you try to use them like you would an american mustard they will destroy your sinuses

it's really closer to a harsh horseradish or wasabi sensation

well that sounds awful

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hifi posted:

well that sounds awful

no it's amazing. I buy mustard powder and just a little water turns it into chinese takeout mustard for frozen springrolls. I can blow the gently caress out of stopped up sinuses and it rules

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
man this is some stinky kraut I'm brewin. heck yeah.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Boyos I live 2 blocks from the Mustard Museum, got every type of mustard imaginable for purchase there

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I bought some "Senfmühle" in Germany a while back that came in these little crocks. They weren't melt your face off hot, but definitely tasty -- https://www.senfmuehle.net

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

yeah you don’t need a crock...

but I found my success rate went from about 50% in quart mason jars to like 100 % in a crock. a number 1 with weights will set you back like 20-30 bucks at a small hardware store.

Almighty Ken
Nov 5, 2006

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.

hifi posted:

well that sounds awful

nope. it's totally awesome. roast beef sandwich with 5 year cheddar & some coleman's mustard owns bones.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

yeah, maybe I described the sensation improperly
it's not a painful burn like you'd associate with peppery heat
it's very pleasant in small doses and definitely triggers some otherwise underutilized taste receptors
maybe "pungent" is a better word for it

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
löwensenf is nice, and good mustard should give you an enjoyable/terrible brainfreeze-like sensation when you use too much

source: im a European™

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

yeah you don’t need a crock...

but I found my success rate went from about 50% in quart mason jars to like 100 % in a crock. a number 1 with weights will set you back like 20-30 bucks at a small hardware store.

Oh I agree. Crocks are the way to go. I just wanted to make it clear that if you just want to dip your feet in the brine pool you can probably get started without buying anything if money is tight for instance.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I am craving some kind of crab soup. I don't know what it would be but probably some kinda bisque?

anyway I don't want to deal with actual live crabs and boiling them picking the meat out. what's the next best option that isn't pollock with food coloring in it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Costco has picked fresh Crab usually. it's pricey tho and I just diy it.

most grocery stores will boil then for free if you buy whole

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

might try canned too but I wouldn’t know where to start as to what was good or not.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I was thinking canned might be decent and passable. the heck do I know anyway? I usually just eat the fake stuff in a california roll and am satisfied.

I do plan to get a crabbing license for next season because based on what I've seen camping in the San Juans this season there is crab to be had out there.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If you find a way to get affordable pre-shelled crab you let me know because I've never seen the like of it

I'm guessing just by the price there must not be a good mechanical way to separate them
but anywho if you're making soup you want all the shells and bits for stock flavoring anyhow

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you find a way to get affordable pre-shelled crab you let me know because I've never seen the like of it

I'm guessing just by the price there must not be a good mechanical way to separate them
but anywho if you're making soup you want all the shells and bits for stock flavoring anyhow

Forgetting about the "this kills the crab" video in CSPAM of all places, smdh

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

all I'm saying is you get yourself some crab shells, a couple of onion skins
baby, you got a stock goin'

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

okay but like the recipes are calling for multiple pounds of fuckin crab meat

seems like a lot of work

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pounds of crab meat, good god
are you cooking for a hungry sailing vessel
that cheapest you're getting fresh meat is like $13 in an 8 oz tub and that's if you're buying from wal-mart or the ilk.

Good Soldier Svejk has issued a correction as of 00:52 on Sep 3, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

gently caress it I'll eat the shells

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

the shells are where all the vitamins are anyway

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

the fake stuff in a california roll

totally unrelated crab stick in cali rolls usually contains egg. had a hell of a time figuring that one out (my wife can’t eat eggs)

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I’ve made a killer and loving expensive hot crab dip a couple times. My grocery store has lump crabmeat in these little see through tubs that have a pull tab on top. 8 or 12 oz a pop. I usually need two.

It was fun to bring to parties in the before times… it’d go mostly ignored until so,done tried it, then there’d be a line to swipe the side of the dish with a piece of bread. One time, a guy went to the host”s kitchen, got two slices of bread, and made himself a crab dip sandwich.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my local sushi place got too big for its britches, killed the happy hour menu and went to reservation-only. i feel like i should be willing to make my own lovely california roll but ugghh it's so daunting

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

I am craving some kind of crab soup. I don't know what it would be but probably some kinda bisque?

Make Bun Rieu.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

i say swears online posted:

my local sushi place got too big for its britches, killed the happy hour menu and went to reservation-only. i feel like i should be willing to make my own lovely california roll but ugghh it's so daunting

it’s easy as gently caress

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

roommate, 4:56 pm: I have people coming over tonight, can you make lasagna?

they didn't sit down until 9 but I did it

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
'sup fools, made a ton of bread for camping this weekend, and some popovers for the drive there.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

that looks super good.

check out this lame as gently caress signage my neighbors are using to discourage people from picking blackberries on a public right of way:

hey so follow up this sign is 100% blank on the back

taking submissions now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

'sup fools, made a ton of bread for camping this weekend, and some popovers for the drive there.

what kind of pan do you use to contain those long buns?