Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

hifi posted:

it's ok. i have all wheel drive

You pussies in Seattle freak out at the smallest snowflake, people in (insert flatland state here) can deal with this no problem!

*proceeds to drive down a steep hill coated in an inch of ice, careening out of control the whole way to the bottom*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lacrosse posted:

You pussies in Seattle freak out at the smallest snowflake, people in (insert flatland state here) can deal with this no problem!

*proceeds to drive down a steep hill coated in an inch of ice, careening out of control the whole way to the bottom*

"Not knowing how or when not to drive their Subarus. It's what makes a Seattleite, a Seattleite."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lacrosse posted:

:lol:

Here in Ohio people freak out and drop 20mph when it looks like it could possibly rain sometime that day.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SirPablo posted:

This might floor everyone, but people are bad at interpreting, perceiving, and internalizing risk. And people run the government. Risk communication is where a lot of NWS effort goes now.

imagining something like

"if you stay where you are you might die. pretty strong chance actually"

"so...we should....sit tight..and see what the storm does?"

"no. you should get the gently caress out, and tell everyone else to get the gently caress out immediately"

"I hear you. I'll run it by my staff and in a few days we'll consider putting out an advisory."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

empty whippet box posted:

imagining something like

"no. you should get the gently caress out, and tell everyone else to get the gently caress out immediately"

"I hear you. I'll run it by my staff and in a few days we'll consider putting out an advisory."

Lol, your living through COVID and think this would work in TYOOL 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/JesseJHamilton/status/1433528743901995009?s=20

idgi. just put the house in the water more.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

shyduck posted:

Not sure but 18 is flooded out through New Brunswick, and that's like never happened

Herp derp that's the road I was thinking of. It definitely did in 2007 and maybe 2008 when I was at RU.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
When is larry showing up to spew his contents?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

next week op

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Herp derp that's the road I was thinking of. It definitely did in 2007 and maybe 2008 when I was at RU.

drat really surprised the shore got off easy compared to other parts.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us3pCHd8PLs

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/BabadookNukem/status/1433194490928541702

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

empty whippet box posted:

imagining something like

Where are 20 million people going to go, Michigan?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/BabadookNukem/status/1433516312479911937

everything is transient

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/HughE_Dillon/status/1433549768299618313?s=19

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

This dude must love hepatitis

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Backflipping into the submerged roof of a Civic to own the libs.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

False, death is forever.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Vox Nihili posted:

False, death is forever.

u don't know that

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Casey Finnigan posted:

u don't know that

Search ur heart

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Vox Nihili posted:

False, death is forever.

buddy, you wish

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I ran on this bridge this morning lol

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

I was going to say the ACOE is pretty great and that they can't make states fund maintenance or upkeep or new projects but then I remembered the Corps of Engineers built the new levee system around NOLA and it held strong, but it'll be useless in four years lol

the corps of engineers is funny in that they divide their districts up by river drainage instead of state lines, so you end up with poo poo like politicians fighting against funding projects in their own state because the district office is in another state and they don't want that state getting the money

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SirPablo posted:

Where are 20 million people going to go, Michigan?

the covid ward probly.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

shirts and skins posted:

The forecasting has been pretty remarkable throughout Ida. Think the locus of extreme rain was slightly south of where it was most likely but still within the "high" risk band.

Which doesn't really matter if nobody prepares for it!

preparing for anything is impossible.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/JoshBreslowTN/status/1433443311990317066

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

i was watching the porch package the whole time :munch:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Lastgirl posted:

i was watching the porch package the whole time :munch:

same, I was all "pff, how can it be catastrophic flooding if it doesnt even take the package on the porch away." and then it did

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Good thing cars are so affordable right now!

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Vox Nihili posted:

Good thing cars are so affordable right now!

Good luck ever finding a car without a history of water damage at this rate

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
all their trashcans washed away, so they're going to have a hard time throwing away all their ruined possessions as they dejectedly try to make their homes livable again

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Stereotype posted:

all their trashcans washed away, so they're going to have a hard time throwing away all their ruined possessions as they dejectedly try to make their homes livable again

around here people have had so much of their stuff totally ruined that they're gonna be stepping up bulk garbage pickup and doing it every day this week. lots of ruined cars too

I'm really lucky, one street over people were throwing out their fridges and stuff. We just have water damage in our useless lovely basement

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 02:13 on Sep 3, 2021

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

free larry

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Stereotype posted:

On the plus side, there's a decent chance a new trash can or five just showed up in your yard

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

On the plus side, there's a decent chance a new trash can or five just showed up in your yard
the circle of life

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

these probably weren't set on fire on purpose but if your house is flooding is burning it down a pro strat to avoid the insurance companies being especially stingy with flood damage?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bip Roberts posted:

these probably weren't set on fire on purpose but if your house is flooding is burning it down a pro strat to avoid the insurance companies being especially stingy with flood damage?

just means the flood insurance people and fire insurance people both reject your claim

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Stereotype posted:

Vox Nihili posted:

the people who end up with all the water in the end also end up with the trashcans, to each according to their need :ussr:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The beautiful boaters shall inherit the Earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Bip Roberts posted:

people tried this in puna with the volcano and from what i remember it didn't work. "my house wasn't destroyed by lava, it was destroyed by fire"