Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

stev posted:

So I just started playing through Forsaken since I skipped it when it was a thing, and the quality of the storytelling is such a huge contrast. There's an actual plot, with characters and drama! I know the base game's campaign had that too but it makes Shadowkeep and Beyond Light look pathetic in comparison. Did Bungie's storytelling talent leave when they lost Activision's money?

Hahahaha.

Ahaahahhaa

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

stev posted:

Did Bungie's storytelling talent leave when they lost Activision's money?

They lost the support studios they used to work with, and started a major project of overhauling/refactoring/removing old content. The latter was a huge success, as much of what they've done in the last few seasons are clearly built on that, but it did eat resources.

Also, Forsaken suffers from the same problem that all of the Destiny campaigns used to have - no room for the story to breathe because it was six hours and done. Imagine what they could have done with Forsaken if they were doing something closer to the current seasonal stories, with story progression spaced out over weeks.

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 2, 2021

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

yeah I was honestly a bit surprised to see them hyping up the campaign for WQ so much

I realize they kind of have to, but main story campaigns have traditionally been the realm of 'done day one, maybe done on alts, ignored for the rest of time', which is just such a colossal waste of resources and dev time

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Kenlon posted:

They lost the support studios they used to work with, and started a major project of overhauling/refactoring/removing old content. The latter was a huge success, as much of what they've done in the last few seasons are clearly built on that, but it did eat resources.

Also, Forsaken suffers from the same problem that all of the Destiny campaigns used to have - no room for the story to breathe because it was six hours and done. Imagine what they could have done with Forsaken if they were doing something closer to the current seasonal stories, with story progression spaced out over weeks.

The tangled shore campaign was definitely like that, but the Dreaming City storyline had a lot more room to breathe and was far better for that reason.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

victrix posted:

yeah I was honestly a bit surprised to see them hyping up the campaign for WQ so much

I realize they kind of have to, but main story campaigns have traditionally been the realm of 'done day one, maybe done on alts, ignored for the rest of time', which is just such a colossal waste of resources and dev time

quote:

PC Gamer: It was mentioned in the reveal stream that Bungie wants The Witch Queen's campaign to be comparable to Halo, Titanfall 2 and the modern Doom games. What's being done differently?

Joe Blackburn: In our last couple of releases, the campaign had some great moments, but it often felt like right when it got started, it was over. So that's one of the things that, pacing wise, we knew we wanted to fix. Savathûn is a pretty long-awaited villain. We don't want this to feel like it got cut short. So there's something here about length, but really it's about making those missions start feeling more and more like what's special about Destiny. I think you've probably seen some of this in our seasonal activities, like Season of the Lost's Shattered Realm activity. It's loving weird, right? It's a weird experience—so is Expunge—but it's something you can only find in Destiny.

We wanted to start bringing that into the campaign, because it's great for our new players—they get to see what's special about the game—but it's also why our returning players are here. They're the people that are grinding Legend Lost Sectors. Those are the people in raids and dungeons.

Blackburn doesn't want to make any promises on the actual length of the campaign, instead noting that the focus is on making its missions feel more definitively Destiny than ever. He makes the point that it's felt strange for Bungie to have learned so much from the seasonal model, but to then regress to the old style of campaign it's been making since 2014 each time an annual expansion rolls around. The Witch Queen will also add selectable Legendary difficulty, that sounds like it will present a more serious challenge than we're used to.

So they know that the campaigns are too short and are trying something out I guess

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

You already have access to previous season storylines as far back as season of the hunt and aren’t required to do them in any order. The season of the hunt intro mission is on the moon. Unless you have the beyond light deluxe edition, you can’t do previous seasons’ special exotic missions (harbinger and presage)

So it turns out you need to own the seasons to play through the stories - you can only play the opening mission if you don't own it. And you can't buy previous seasons individually to play through the stories, you need the Deluxe edition that comes with them all. And you can't just upgrade your existing copy of game to the Deluxe edition, you need to buy it separately for sixty entire British pounds. :psyduck: I guess Bungie doesn't want my money.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hopefully when they're referencing Doom they aren't talking about a cutscene in the first five minutes where you chop a boss' head off and toss it on the floor because as cool as that was, that's not much of a game.

Instead let us blow a hole in the side of a planet and dive in to it to murderize Savathun.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Looking for a good kinetic pulse in my vault and I realise I have no idea what I'm looking for. Is Time Worn Spire still good? NTTE? Cold Denial?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

stev posted:

So it turns out you need to own the seasons to play through the stories - you can only play the opening mission if you don't own it. And you can't buy previous seasons individually to play through the stories, you need the Deluxe edition that comes with them all. And you can't just upgrade your existing copy of game to the Deluxe edition, you need to buy it separately for sixty entire British pounds. :psyduck: I guess Bungie doesn't want my money.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1438630/Destiny_2_Beyond_Light_Deluxe_Edition_Upgrade/ :confused:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Eej posted:

So they know that the campaigns are too short and are trying something out I guess

that's Good

I really like this Blackburn dude quite a bit

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Looking for a good kinetic pulse in my vault and I realise I have no idea what I'm looking for. Is Time Worn Spire still good? NTTE? Cold Denial?

Messenger, Vigilance Wing, NTTE, Sacred Provenance

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I don't know how people can just talk about gun names and ask whether they're good since the main difference is what set of perks are available for them to randomly roll... if you have a copy of the 'best' legendary gun in a category but with a useless roll then your god legendary is just as good/bad as any other random legendary pulse or even a blue gun from the same subcategory.

Except pinnacles which are really just exotics in disguise and are a dumb confusing system. If they just wanted to make exotics-but-they-don't-eat-your-exotic-slot they should have made a new rarity

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Thanks! All the links in-game and on the store page just point to the regular deluxe edition.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I don't know how people can just talk about gun names and ask whether they're good since the main difference is what set of perks are available for them to randomly roll... if you have a copy of the 'best' legendary gun in a category but with a useless roll then your god legendary is just as good/bad as any other random legendary pulse or even a blue gun from the same subcategory.
I guess primarily what makes a pulse good nowadays? Last time I paid attention to them high ROF pulses were dogshit and unusable outside of PvE, where you could at least build up stacks of rampage / swashbuckler to make up the extra damage.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Probably a dumb question but if I buy the super duper edition of Witch Queen it says I get 4 seasons of Destiny. Are they future seasons or the past four?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Destiny 2 PC: It’s loving weird, isn’t it?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Seams posted:

Probably a dumb question but if I buy the super duper edition of Witch Queen it says I get 4 seasons of Destiny. Are they future seasons or the past four?

It should be the future expansions, the "year" of seasons for the Witch Queen Expansion.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Forsaken's storytelling really benefitted from the simple Outlaw Getting Revenge scope. Easy to get in, tell a story, get out

All of year 3 and 4 has been "big spooky evil poo poo is coming! Soon!!! We promise!!!!!!!" and so they can't progress it at all until they have something huge to drop on us

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Pyronic posted:

It should be the future expansions, the "year" of seasons for the Witch Queen Expansion.

Sweet. That’s what I figured but it’s always good to double-check haha.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Hailing Confusion from Eurpoa is pretty great if you're into Adaptives. Time Worn Spire from Iron Banner is a Rapid Fire that absolutely rips, but good luck getting it from the bloated drop pool.

Kith fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 3, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
where do I get a chinese clone of Blast Furnace nowadays
and can I get any resources out of old masterwork guns that bungo threw in the sunset trashcan? I know they're still usable in crucible but that doesn't help for pve spec weapons

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

where do I get a chinese clone of Blast Furnace nowadays
and can I get any resources out of old masterwork guns that bungo threw in the sunset trashcan? I know they're still usable in crucible but that doesn't help for pve spec weapons

Garden of Salvation raid drop called Sacred Prophecy. Not sure if you can even get them anymore, as I think that raid was sunset?] (It was not)

https://www.light.gg/db/items/2408405461/sacred-provenance/

IIRC you get 7 enhancement cores back when sharding a masterworked item.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 3, 2021

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

Kith posted:

Hailing Confusion from Eurpoa is pretty great if you're into Adaptives. The Forward Path from Iron Banner is a Rapid Fire that absolutely rips, but good luck getting it from the bloated drop pool.

Forward path is an adaptive AR.

Time worn spire is the rapid fire pulse.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Kesper North posted:

Garden of Salvation raid drop called Sacred Prophecy. Not sure if you can even get them anymore, as I think that raid was sunset?

it was not

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

Kesper North posted:

Garden of Salvation raid drop called Sacred Prophecy. Not sure if you can even get them anymore, as I think that raid was sunset?] (It was not)

https://www.light.gg/db/items/2408405461/sacred-provenance/

IIRC you get 7 enhancement cores back when sharding a masterworked item.

Sacred Provenance

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

So, I'm starting to have second thoughts. I think Explosive Light is a good perk and I think the community wisdom that it's bad is off the mark. How I thought it worked was you had to 6 orbs of power to charge it up for a full damage 15% shot.

But it turns out each individual rocket uses a charge of explosive light. You get the full benefit from 1. Which is actually really good. Not only is it easy to get and generate orbs of light but the fact it stacks 6 times means you're generally going to get a full magazine use out of it.

I think that Vorpal is obviously better on bosses because you don't have to do anything, and Lasting Impression is likewise something you don't have to do anything with. But Ascendency is a really solid rocket launcher that comes with great perks and intrinsic tracking. The fact explosive light gets full benefit from each individual charge makes it much better in my opinion. It takes more setup than vorpal or lasting impression but it's also easy to obtain and use and you get the full benefit against every enemy in the game instantly.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bunker E15 with void burn & shields is today's legendary.

Equip Le Monarque and overload, barrier & a primary AR, casually walk your way through the sector.

I cannot stress enough how today is probably the lowest bar to entry you're going to get on a Lost sector.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mazerunner posted:

it was not

Chappy posted:

Sacred Provenance

this is my brain when i can't get my adhd meds. fFFFFfUCK

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Chappy posted:

Forward path is an adaptive AR.

Time worn spire is the rapid fire pulse.

Yes, that. Thank you. I get them mixed up because they look similar to me. And for that matter, I use them similarly.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Bunker E15 with void burn & shields is today's legendary.

Equip Le Monarque and overload, barrier & a primary AR, casually walk your way through the sector.

I cannot stress enough how today is probably the lowest bar to entry you're going to get on a Lost sector.

Made good use of this one in the past, it's on helms today (got another 12 hours from this post) and I was missing some, so thanks for the heads up & loadout.

I still hate overloads. Feels pretty lame that you let off them for a second and they basically heal to full.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I still hate overloads. Feels pretty lame that you let off them for a second and they basically heal to full.
I think FalloutPlays did a video that explains it, but they're normally immune to stuns for half a second or so after they recover - ordinarily you should aim to shoot them as soon as the chains glow white, because they're vulnerable to stuns again.

With Monarque's poison though, as soon as they're vulnerable the poison 'tick' will stun them and you don't have to focus on them like you usually do.

I recorded a video for anyone who's daunted by it, today's combo is very doable even if you die twice and forget that your AR is only there to pop bubbles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRKHzwH9jo8

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I’ve been able to solo most lost sectors on Legend but that one a couple of days ago on the moon was hosed.

I wish the game had saveable loadouts so I could just switch all my gear and/or mods at the push of a button.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Is it just me or is iron banner weirdly a lot more difficult than crucible normally? I also keep getting people with what appears to be battle pass level 100 in my matches, which is insane given how long it's been out, and extremely angry ragers. Normal crucible isn't anything like this

I also actually see "xxx has joined team chat" for once.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
for overloads you also want to keep hitting them with your anti-overload weapon during the 'white chain' period, after they were stunned but before they become vulnerable to being stunned again. This stops them from regenerating health. I think it might also stop captains and minotaurs from teleporting but I might be wrong.

So you go: stun -> burst damage -> back to overload -> stun again

also for barriers doing damage to their shield stops the health regen, even if you don't break it. So even if you know you can't break it, kind of feathering some damage onto them still puts you out ahead.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Biowarfare posted:

Is it just me or is iron banner weirdly a lot more difficult than crucible normally? I also keep getting people with what appears to be battle pass level 100 in my matches, which is insane given how long it's been out, and extremely angry ragers. Normal crucible isn't anything like this

It is not just sweaty right now, it's loving AWFUL. And I think maybe lots of people are hauling out cheats for a last hurrah. Another poster I was talking to earlier agreed, it doesn't look like Battleye is doing much yet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

I’ve had my team chat set to on since I’ve started playing again and I’ve not heard a single person across any hundred matches Ive played lol.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
BattleEye is only in logging mode right now, they said they'll turn on the auto bans Eventually iirc

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know I’ve said this before but I wish as someone coming back / new they laid out the mission timelines better.

If you were a new player the story is an absolute mess because there isn’t a real way to see what actually comes first.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I really like Savathun. Her plots and manupulations are so transparently obvious that I expect her to put on a fake moustache & top hat then walk in spinning a silver cane after arriving via hot air balloon.

What I'm saying is I'd rather be friendly with her than the Vanguard & co because clearly we've been working with complete idiots this whole time.

Can't wait for Durandal to warp in system and kidnap us for fun adventures in the wider universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Funny you should say that, have you collected Clovis Bray's journal lore bits?