Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
A Springfield Summer Christmas for Christmas is on TV (S32-E10) and it's just loving annoying. Julie Kavner must have covid or something.

WTF, they've now retconned Skinner into a woodworking hardbody?

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Das Boo posted:

Mine was Cats and it was the best movie-going experience I've ever had. Talk about going out on a high note, holy hell.

Certainly beats seeing TRoS.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

lol how did they get The Joy of Sect past the Scientologist cast member?

e: wtf on D+ they edited Burn's symbol gag from the Special K to Mickey ears

Animal Friend fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 2, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I watched the Simpsons movie long after I gave up on the show and I was surprised by how much I liked it. Honestly its whole idea of Springfield become this toxic blight that must be isolated from the real world felt a bit like an acknowledgement of the fact that the show's world and characters and stuff had run their course.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The one (dear God, please only be the one) with Elon Musk, with Richard Branson at a close second.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

muscles like this! posted:

Guillermo del Toro has talked about how when he was trying to make the first Hellboy movie studio execs tried to make him change the titular Hellboy into a regular dude who changed into a demon when he got angry. You know, like Hellboy does. (Also they wanted make it so that he was no longer red.)

...do we ever hear of film execs doing anything good? Ever?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Animal Friend posted:

lol how did they get The Joy of Sect past the Scientologist cast member?

e: wtf on D+ they edited Burn's symbol gag from the Special K to Mickey ears

Wait I just checked and they still have the Special K gag, it's right before the Mickey ears joke. I don't think that was edited.

If Disney was going to make any changes I'd think they'd first go for Roger Meyers Sr. making a film "nazi superman are our superiors" and having his head frozen as those are 100% aimed at Walt.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wait I just checked and they still have the Special K gag, it's right before the Mickey ears joke. I don't think that was edited.

If Disney was going to make any changes I'd think they'd first go for Roger Meyers Sr. making a film "nazi superman are our superiors" and having his head frozen as those are 100% aimed at Walt.

woops! I had it on while I was making dinner and must have missed it.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Tree Bucket posted:

No.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
AFAIK the only "edit" Disney did is that the Michael Jackson episode is not available.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

i'm not really a simpsons watcher, i mean it can be funny, but i've been watching it a lot more than usual lately with my little brother as a kind of brotherly thing and homer's an annoying prick.

this is in the good ones, too. i've never even seen anything past season 10.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of The Shining, where the original ending was deemed a bit poo poo.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Tree Bucket posted:

Changing the ending of Clerks so Dante isn't gunned down.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

AFAIK the only "edit" Disney did is that the Michael Jackson episode is not available.

wait, really? why?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Not having the land of Oz in 'The Wizard of Oz' be in the real world.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Junk posted:

wait, really? why?

Could be a rights nightmare, but most likely because the company that makes children's entertainment doesn't want to show the cancelled molester around the fictional kids on their family TV show?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I’m rewatching the series. And I have noticed a shift from season 4 to season 5 that I just can’t put my finger on.

I wouldn’t necessarily call it a dip in quality... but it felt more like a change to slightly more whacky premises. It could just be personal preference. I’m not sure.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I’m rewatching the series. And I have noticed a shift from season 4 to season 5 that I just can’t put my finger on.

I wouldn’t necessarily call it a dip in quality... but it felt more like a change to slightly more whacky premises. It could just be personal preference. I’m not sure.

There was a show runner change in Season 5. David Mirkin, the new show runner, is more madcap than Al Jean and Mike Reiss

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

roomtone posted:

i'm not really a simpsons watcher, i mean it can be funny, but i've been watching it a lot more than usual lately with my little brother as a kind of brotherly thing and homer's an annoying prick.

this is in the good ones, too. i've never even seen anything past season 10.

Oh no.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Man, season 5 has some loving CLASSIC episodes, but I can see what you’re talking about. Not necessarily a dip in quality, though, but a visible tonal shift from the nuclear family (lol) problems.

Personally, I see the cracks forming in season 7, and the first signs of a decline in season 8 before the show poo poo its pants in season 9 and wore those same lovely butt poop pants from then on out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They did admit that by season 7 or 8 they figured the show was gonna get cancelled at any time and just threw whatever crazy ideas they had.

And then then it kept going for another 20+ seasons.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Junk posted:

wait, really? why?

It got pulled from basically everywhere when that one documentary about him got super popular a few years after his death.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It got pulled after the Leaving Neverland documentary on HBO barely two years ago. It does feel like it was a decade ago though.

I recommend the documentary but it's heavy as gently caress. It focuses on two of Michael Jackson's abuse victims and their stories.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Junk posted:

wait, really? why?

He sexually abused a bunch of kids; I'm sorry to have to be the one to break this news to you

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

It wasn't really Disney that pulled the Michael Jackson episode. Apparently Al Jean thought Jackson used the episode to groom kids, and he pushed to have it taken down. He said so in an interview right when it happened.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

In Australia there was a year gap between season 4 and 5 and when we got 5 it felt different. A year watching repeats on TV and tapes made that really obvious. Later when I learned about it's production it made a lot more sense. It had no right to turn out as good as it did with wholesale turnover of writers and a new showrunner who wasn't that popular. That season is the funniest the show ever was imo.

We got 5 and 6 back to back essentially one long season. Good times.

spaceblancmange fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 3, 2021

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
micheal jackson is innocent

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Imagined posted:

Could be a rights nightmare, but most likely because the company that makes children's entertainment doesn't want to show the cancelled molester around the fictional kids on their family TV show?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

mycophobia posted:

micheal jackson is innocent

No.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I thought the general consensus was that his relationship with these various boys was inappropriate but not molest-y.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

the show peaked in that episode where marge wears the same dress to the cool rich person club until they start making fun of her for it.
the dress is a metaphor for the show itself.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Groening was on the Lolita Express and all, but I guess that's a pulled cash cow too far for having a sex slave massage your rank feet.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

When did the show start crediting twenty-five or more people at the beginning of each episode? I feel like that was a big sign that the good times were never coming back

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

I thought the general consensus was that his relationship with these various boys was inappropriate but not molest-y.

Not according to the boys that he molested.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not according to the boys that he molested.

hmm. well you forget that a court requires evidence, of which, after a quite lengthy and invasive investigation... none was found

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

:rolleyes:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i mean anybody can say all sorts of shocking stuff. that doesnt make it true

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea, stop libeling Michael Jackson. He's a dead, show some respect.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

People stanning for child molester Michael Jackson itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
wasn't it proven that the parents who accused him just wanted a payout