Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My girlfriend borrowed my car and drove through a construction zone. An oncoming car blew through a 20 zone at 65 and sprayed the car down with gravel, destroying the windshield and (somehow) causing the car to make a loud metallic rattling noise under the engine bay.

Since it's my car I assume I open a claim through my insurance, but I've never really done anything like this before. Do I open a claim first before the damage is known? And then they refer me somewhere?

State Farm is asking me if I want to open an "Auto Claim" or an "Auto (Glass-Only) Claim". The only definite damage is the glass, but the noise could potentially be an issue if it's more than just a piece of gravel rattling around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My girlfriend borrowed my car and drove through a construction zone. An oncoming car blew through a 20 zone at 65 and sprayed the car down with gravel, destroying the windshield and (somehow) causing the car to make a loud metallic rattling noise under the engine bay.

Since it's my car I assume I open a claim through my insurance, but I've never really done anything like this before. Do I open a claim first before the damage is known? And then they refer me somewhere?

State Farm is asking me if I want to open an "Auto Claim" or an "Auto (Glass-Only) Claim". The only definite damage is the glass, but the noise could potentially be an issue if it's more than just a piece of gravel rattling around.

Yeah just open the claim. State farm is pretty chill to deal with. They have a network of places you can take it and not have to wonder about it, but given yours is a late model BMW M (so I've been told) you might see if there is a BMW collision center near you. They might not pay in full, but it should get you pretty close. I wound up having a several thousand dollar bumper+light replacement via them and it cost me my $500 deductible total. This was 10 years ago though so :shrug:

Do you have the other party's license plate or insurance information? (Did they stop?)

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah just open the claim. State farm is pretty chill to deal with. They have a network of places you can take it and not have to wonder about it, but given yours is a late model BMW M (so I've been told) you might see if there is a BMW collision center near you. They might not pay in full, but it should get you pretty close. I wound up having a several thousand dollar bumper+light replacement via them and it cost me my $500 deductible total. This was 10 years ago though so :shrug:

Do you have the other party's license plate or insurance information? (Did they stop?)

I'll add to this to open the full claim rather than glass only and get the rattling checked out.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

If the rocks were kicked up from the road it's considered a road hazard and the car kicking them up isn't at fault.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

sheri posted:

If the rocks were kicked up from the road it's considered a road hazard and the car kicking them up isn't at fault.

Oh right, that makes sense. Either way the adjuster will walk through that in the initial phonecall. Is that still collision or does it become comp? I'm just a state farm haver, and have generally had a fine experience in the few claims I've had to do with them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It should be comp as they’re a missile at that point.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Final update with my whole situation: AMR were lying, deceitful bastards who told my insurance rep they would send me to collections three days after my bill was due (lol). This was pretty obviously a bluff the AMR call center goblin made up on the spot*, probably to try and force my insurance company's hand. My insurance did eventually end up coughing up more money and put in another ~3100, leaving me on the hook for about 400, which actually ended up being roughly the 10% my policy stated I'd be responsible for (if not the $65 from the original EOB). About 2 weeks after my bill was due (and 10 days after I would be 'sent to collections'), my bill is paid in full. Whatever. Good enough for me. gently caress American Medical Response West, gently caress this stupid country's broken health care system, thanks to bird with big dick and H110Hawk who helped me out with this question, you were both a big help with contextualizing a lot of this bullshit for me.

* I had a hard time they were going to admit defeat and sell off to a debt collection agency for pennies on the dollar 3 days after the due date, especially since my insurance company was still involved. This turned out to be right.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 20, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ansible Adams posted:

Final update with my whole situation: AMR were lying, deceitful bastards who told my insurance rep they would send me to collections three days after my bill was due (lol). This was pretty obviously a bluff the AMR call center goblin made up on the spot*, probably to try and force my insurance company's hand. My insurance did eventually end up coughing up more money and put in another ~3100, leaving me on the hook for about 400, which actually ended up being roughly the 10% my policy stated I'd be responsible for (if not the $65 from the original EOB). About 2 weeks after my bill was due (and 10 days after I would be 'sent to collections'), my bill is paid in full. Whatever. Good enough for me. gently caress American Medical Response West, gently caress this stupid country's broken health care system, thanks to bird with big dick and H110Hawk who helped me out with this question, you were both a big help with contextualizing a lot of this bullshit for me.

* I had a hard time they were going to admit defeat and sell off to a debt collection agency for pennies on the dollar 3 days after the due date, especially since my insurance company was still involved. This turned out to be right.

Congrats, its always nice when the little guy wins.

I don't think I posted this before but here's what shitbag Blue Cross/Blue Shield said about one of my three ground ambulance rides:

quote:

I understand that you would like someone to review claim X as you should only have to pay 20% of the allowed amount for emergency medical transportation. I will be happy to review this claim for you.

I have reviewed claim X for you and determined that it was processed correctly based on how the claim was submitted and your benefits available at the time of the services. The provider of these services is an out-of-network provider. When an out-of-network provider is utilized, the patient can be held liable for any amount that is over the allowed amount.

Since this was an emergency situation, the claim did process at the in-network benefit level. The amount of $121.59 was applied to your coinsurance (out-of-pocket expense) and the amount that was over the allowed amount, $1657.47, is also your responsibility bringing the total patient share amount to $1779.06.

I still haven't made another payment on my payment plan and now that my home refi is done, I'm not going to, they can eat poo poo and send me to collections and I'll tell the collection agency to also eat poo poo and that the ambulance company has already been paid.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

if this is the M2 find a BMW certified collision center and take it there and don't take poo poo from State Farm about it

if its your other car it doesn't really matter

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Any thoughts on small business liability insurance (for a personal trainer). My wife just completed her yoga teacher training and wants to start teaching. My main insurer (Amica) partners with Hiscox to provide small business liability insurance. Amica has a great reputation for actually paying out on claims and Hiscox seems to have a pretty good reputation online for this kind of small business liability insurance.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
e: resolved

buglord fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 7, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anyone have experience insuring collections? I have USAA for homeowners and just checked for the first time and the prices give me a bit of sticker shock. About $100 a month to insure to insure ~$60k worth of guns/photography equipment/"fine art."

The fine art in this context are collectible books (signed stuff, first edition stuff) which is how Abebooks says you insure them though I have a little bit of heartburn of my house burning down and USAA telling me "That ain't art those are books art is paintings and statues and poo poo."

But mostly wondering about that price. The 15k of art is practically nothing like 3 bucks a month or something but the guns and cameras are over 500 a year each. Are they being insured even when they're outside the house? I couldn't find the appropriate fine print but maybe I just need to dig around more. I just want them insured from home burglary and fire type stuff, if I drop my camera off the edge of the grand canyon I don't expect it to be insured. I guess maybe they're also being insured from theft or damage (?) when they're out of the house and that's why there's a big difference since people don't usually take their fine art with them on vacation? Is it maybe possible to drop that sort of coverage and get a much cheaper price?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

Anyone have experience insuring collections? I have USAA for homeowners and just checked for the first time and the prices give me a bit of sticker shock. About $100 a month to insure to insure ~$60k worth of guns/photography equipment/"fine art."

The fine art in this context are collectible books (signed stuff, first edition stuff) which is how Abebooks says you insure them though I have a little bit of heartburn of my house burning down and USAA telling me "That ain't art those are books art is paintings and statues and poo poo."

But mostly wondering about that price. The 15k of art is practically nothing like 3 bucks a month or something but the guns and cameras are over 500 a year each. Are they being insured even when they're outside the house? I couldn't find the appropriate fine print but maybe I just need to dig around more. I just want them insured from home burglary and fire type stuff, if I drop my camera off the edge of the grand canyon I don't expect it to be insured. I guess maybe they're also being insured from theft or damage (?) when they're out of the house and that's why there's a big difference since people don't usually take their fine art with them on vacation? Is it maybe possible to drop that sort of coverage and get a much cheaper price?

They probably are against things like theft if you are taking proper care to secure them. (e.g. your guns/photo gear are in a locked car trunk) it's expensive because that stuff is very commonly stolen, hard to recover, and expensive to replace. It's also high fraud potential.

Your best bet here is to email usaa and ask specific questions. "would this signed first edition of super explody person, currently appraised at $1000 be covered by my fine art insurance if my house burns down?" Include a picture. "Would my super boomy stick 100megapixel 9000 be covered if it's stolen out of my locked car?"

Then don't get them stolen or burned down right away because that will realllllyyy look like fraud. Insist on yes or no answers if they give you vagaries.

If you're going to spend $1200/year on insuring this stuff you should have a clear inventory of it all including make, model, serial numbers, receipts, and pictures of each both wide angle and showing the serial number. Put it all in Google drive or something.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I am buying homeowners insurance for the first time with a new home purchase. So uh... what's "good coverage"? What should I be looking for? I realize this is a very broad question.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Upgrade posted:

I am buying homeowners insurance for the first time with a new home purchase. So uh... what's "good coverage"? What should I be looking for? I realize this is a very broad question.

Use an independent agent that can quote a couple of carriers for you. Biggest thing to watch out for is make sure the building coverage limits are adequate.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
And understand replacement value vs cash value. The first makes sure that you have your stuff back, the latter pays you the current cash value of your stuff based on tables of useful life. You want the former unless you like getting paid pennies on the dollar for your contents.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I’ve got a bunch of money in a HSA account from an old HDHP (I’m now on a PPO) that just covered me. Can I use the HSA money to pay my wife’s health costs, or is that a no-go since the plan didn’t cover her?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Upgrade posted:

Just use USAA and insure to the minimums required for your umbrella policy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MrLogan posted:

Just use USAA and insure to the minimums required for your umbrella policy.

Yo this is straight up terrible advice. Umbrella policies are for liability only. You going to insured your dwelling and content coverage for the bare minimum?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
My homeowner's insurance covers "sudden and accidental water damage". Which we happened to sustain when Ida sprung leaks in my basement foundation. We don't have flood insurance; our area isn't flood-prone. At least, wasn't until yesterday.

Does that count as a flood or do we have a shot at a claim? I can dig up the verbiage of the policy but I'm pretty sure that Travelers didn't become a big insurance company by being generous with the terms of water damage

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

MJP posted:

Does that count as a flood or do we have a shot at a claim? I can dig up the verbiage of the policy but I'm pretty sure that Travelers didn't become a big insurance company by being generous with the terms of water damage

Not likely, but worth looking at the verbiage.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah that's probably going to be considered a flood.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MJP posted:

My homeowner's insurance covers "sudden and accidental water damage". Which we happened to sustain when Ida sprung leaks in my basement foundation. We don't have flood insurance; our area isn't flood-prone. At least, wasn't until yesterday.

It likely explicitly excludes water that "seeps up from the ground" or "groundwater overflowing" or whatever. They mean from your pipes or from the sky before it hits the ground.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
Speaking of flood insurance, can anyone provide a good primer for me and advice on where to go to price it? Can I get it from my homeowner's insurance company? I'm in PA, not near a body of water but in an area where flooding basements are a somewhat regular thing. About how much would it cost to insure a $250K house-- hundreds of dollars a year, thousands, dozens? Would I have to disclose that I've had minor basement floods a few times in the past couple of years?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

Speaking of flood insurance, can anyone provide a good primer for me and advice on where to go to price it? Can I get it from my homeowner's insurance company? I'm in PA, not near a body of water but in an area where flooding basements are a somewhat regular thing. About how much would it cost to insure a $250K house-- hundreds of dollars a year, thousands, dozens? Would I have to disclose that I've had minor basement floods a few times in the past couple of years?

Short answer is talk to an agent. There is a confusing distinction between certain types of water damage (i.e. sump pump overflow) and flood peril so you really want to consult an agent who can walk you through it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

H110Hawk posted:

It likely explicitly excludes water that "seeps up from the ground" or "groundwater overflowing" or whatever. They mean from your pipes or from the sky before it hits the ground.

And on top of that, at least the policy I had, it specifically excludes any water damage from clogs/drains backing up. Ten years ago I bought a house and had had the keys for less than 24 hours and was doing laundry and the washer drain overflowed and did 8 grand worth of damage to the laminate flooring. Had the drain snaked and there was no evidence of a clog so it was covered, if he'd pulled up a clog, it wouldn't have been covered (it was probably a clog).

And on top of that it had happened before and the PO hadn't disclosed it. Fuckin homeownership.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Yo this is straight up terrible advice. Umbrella policies are for liability only. You going to insured your dwelling and content coverage for the bare minimum?

Please read again. Minimum required to be able to get the umbrella policy. Not the bare minimum.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MrLogan posted:

Please read again. Minimum required to be able to get the umbrella policy. Not the bare minimum.

Nowhere in your post does it make that distinction, and you still have to have appropriate dwelling and contents limits

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Nowhere in your post does it make that distinction, and you still have to have appropriate dwelling and contents limits

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MrLogan posted:

It does miss the word "Liability" there - I think you thought it and didn't say it. It reads ambiguously to me as well. You want the minimum liability coverage to trigger your umbrella, but your contents and structure need to be the full amounts as those aren't covered by your umbrella.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

All actual flood insurance is backed by FEMA, so it really shouldn't matter what company you go with. My current insurance broker told me not to bother moving the flood insurance from the old company because it was a pain to do and didn't actually change the pricing at all.

We're flood zone X (you probably are too - FEMA flood maps can be found online), I pay $389/yr for $150k building and $60k contents coverage. We're not technically in a flood area, but there's a poorly maintained drainage easement near our house that causes problems... the flooding from a few days ago didn't actually enter our house (but did get into the under-slab ductwork), but it's still money well spent if we ever have issues.

Note that you really don't want to have any claims here - some of the questions you have to answer are "2 loss payments, each more then $100", or "3 or more loss payments, regardless of amount". I don't know what saying yes does to your rates, but I can't imagine it's good.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
We have up to $5,000 in water damage from our homeowner's insurance. Since our sump backed up, we're actually covered for it. If I actually go through with a claim, and they pay out that $5,000, how much should I expect my premiums to go up?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

MJP posted:

We have up to $5,000 in water damage from our homeowner's insurance. Since our sump backed up, we're actually covered for it. If I actually go through with a claim, and they pay out that $5,000, how much should I expect my premiums to go up?

There's really no way to know without looking at the specific rating plan and state. Check with your agent and they may be able to provide some guidance or talk to the carrier and get more info.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

What are some standard measures of how much life insurance you need?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Upgrade posted:

How much will your dependents need to (replace your expected future income streams minus your marginal household expenses plus death cost). Alternatively, 30x remaining household expenses - current net worth. Alternatively, you don't need life insurance because you'll be dead.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

CubicalSucrose posted:

Alternatively, you don't need life insurance because you'll be dead.

:hmmyes:

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

Upgrade posted:

How old are you? You need less the older you get. A 45 year old could justify like 15-20x their yearly income. A 25 year old more and a 60 year old less.

But yeah, it depends on what you want covered when you die (the full mortgage plus college for your 2.5 kids and 10 years of income for your stay at home partner or just like 5 years of income)?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Magic City Monday posted:

How old are you? You need less the older you get. A 45 year old could justify like 15-20x their yearly income. A 25 year old more and a 60 year old less.

But yeah, it depends on what you want covered when you die (the full mortgage plus college for your 2.5 kids and 10 years of income for your stay at home partner or just like 5 years of income)?

Mid 30s. No kids. I think I'm going to end up doing my share of household expenses (including mortgage) for 10 years.

GrapeSoda
Oct 22, 2008
How awful of an idea would it be to take out a life insurance policy on my anti-vax dad?

My dad is in his early 60s and relatively healthy. If not for his refusal to get vaccinated, wear masks, and avoid CHUD gatherings I wouldn't be considering the possibility of him outliving my mom (vaccinated, listens to reason). He's the sole provider and getting ready to retire with a few pensions. He's chosen the shortest guarantee options on all of them, 5 years.

I've talked with them about retirement scenarios and he had no interest in making arrangements for my mom outliving him. Very little savings, small amount of house equity, no life insurance plans... And since my sibling doesn't have the means or willingness, it'd fall on me to take care of her if this scenario plays out.

While I think I'd be able to handle it financially, I wouldn't want to jeopardize my ability to help my kid's with college tuition or other mid-long term savings goals. Would taking a life insurance policy out on him be feasible? Would I be able to do it without his cooperation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

No, you need a person's consent to take out a life insurance policy on them in almost all situations. It would be impossible without his cooperation.