Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

People using disc drives in 2021?

Anyways anyone playing bloos Cold War and wanna play some firestorm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I really appreciate the quick resume group that got added way back, though it kind of makes having other groups redundant.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im very happy with my Series X but I would have liked a disc-less version the same shape as the Series S. I havent put a disc in this thing yet and its making buying an entertainment unit a fuckin chore.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

kri kri posted:

I never got around to buying Horizon or claiming it when it was free so I picked up a disc copy and was able to play it on my series x, so that was pretty cool.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I have a bunch of bootleg DVDs of stuff like Dark Side of the Rainbow, and I use the disc drive on the X occasionally for that stuff. It works.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

kri kri posted:

I'm the rear end in a top hat who will only watch Fury Road, Blade Runner 2049, or Planet Earth 2 from the 4K blu-ray.

I know it's a placebo effect and I realistically couldn't tell the difference, but it matters!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
From a Series S guy - seems like discs / physical versions of things go on sale more than digital for some reason. Oh well.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I'm the rear end in a top hat who will only watch Fury Road, Blade Runner 2049, or Planet Earth 2 from the 4K blu-ray.

I know it's a placebo effect and I realistically couldn't tell the difference, but it matters!

4K absolutely helped the 78 Dawn of the Dead look fantastic so I'm another sucker who is slowly replacing movies on 4K disc.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Why can’t all consoles be the size of the series s? It’s seriously perfect, both in design and price.

Cooling and disc drive

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Both consoles probably should have gone with an external power brick to reduce the cartoonish size but unfortunately that is unacceptable.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The psus arent that big tho its all fans and sinks and the gpu with all the cus are long as hell

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

External Organs posted:

From a Series S guy - seems like discs / physical versions of things go on sale more than digital for some reason. Oh well.

The reason is that physical inventory has to move, but it's a shame that digital doesn't bottom out in price the same way.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

External Organs posted:

Half the reason I was fine getting a Series S is I looked at my PS4 usage last gen and it was almost 100% digital downloads. Don’t need a BluRay drive, and lol at finding lots of cheap used games for Xbox in Japan.

As a GamePass device the Series S is fantastic. Tried Flight Sim last night, and it’s clearly not running at Series X or PC quality, but looks good in motion.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

harperdc posted:

Half the reason I was fine getting a Series S is I looked at my PS4 usage last gen and it was almost 100% digital downloads. Don’t need a BluRay drive, and lol at finding lots of cheap used games for Xbox in Japan.

As a GamePass device the Series S is fantastic. Tried Flight Sim last night, and it’s clearly not running at Series X or PC quality, but looks good in motion.

Yeah, my switch is basically the same except for a handful of random things. I don't really mind. Console kicks rear end.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Professor Beetus posted:

Honestly don't mind the x as much as I thought I would. It just kinda sits behind the tv standing vertically faced so that I can still have access to the disc drive.

e: and it has good graphics

Yours just sits there? Weird. Mine stands majestically towering above all the lesser consoles.
Imagine I took a photo of my office entertainment center and the series x is vertical and the 360, ps3, ps4, genesis are all horizontal - then drew green lines through them all like the pickup artist thing those psychos do.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Both consoles probably should have gone with an external power brick to reduce the cartoonish size but unfortunately that is unacceptable.

nah external power bricks suck, all consoles should use kettle leads

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

4K blurays look amazing but they are super expensive compared to not buying movies.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there a 'best blu ray' to get? I've heard the matrix blu ray called the perfection the format but maybe there's a more recent option?

I've never watched a blu ray. Just :files: of 4K rips that are compressed but still very passable.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Laserface posted:

Is there a 'best blu ray' to get? I've heard the matrix blu ray called the perfection the format but maybe there's a more recent option?

I've never watched a blu ray. Just :files: of 4K rips that are compressed but still very passable.

nearly all the 4K blu-rays available are very very good. because they're catering to an extremely niche audience, you usually get good transfers and pretty good colouring. BR2049, Fury Road, Matrix 4K are all great

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The Shining and Jaws are also fantastic transfers. Since they're older films that I only saw a few times on like VHS or broadcast tv, the detail feels almost unreal.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The original Bladerunner in 4K was a revelation. It looks absolutely incredible.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Do Redbox machines have 4K discs? Is the difference between that and streaming worth walking to the drugstore?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
a 4K stream on most services is barely as good as a bluray

Apple TV has the best quality streaming that I’ve seen

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Laserface posted:

If it was shot on film and it's on UHD Bluray odds are it looks amazing there. I've got the Back to the Future set thanks to a $30 sale and it was like "ok...this looks better than it did at the Patrick Henry Mall AMC 7"

Also it's probably the last widely available physical format we're gonna get so if you're old like me go get the 12 movies you want definitive copies of.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Anything shot on 35mm looks amazing for the most part. Somewhat counterintuitively, newer stuff is a bit less impressive.

Although I have to say, even though it’s a 2k upscale, Fury Road is bar-none my most played disc. The movie just kicks so much rear end. If you watch the UHD, then stream it off Netflix … :mediocre:

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is amazing on 4K UHD as well.

There's a lot of very fast transitions and scenes with a lot of movement that break up in the streaming versions.

The sound design and music in that movie is incredible as well, if you have a moderately decent sound system the sound is much better than the very compressed version you get through streaming.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

nearly all the 4K blu-rays available are very very good. because they're catering to an extremely niche audience, you usually get good transfers and pretty good colouring. BR2049, Fury Road, Matrix 4K are all great

It's this. Most modern stuff will look good on 4K regardless, it's the older stuff that will either blow you away or not. Like I said before, the 78 Dawn of the Dead blew my mind with how good it looks on 4K compared to even DVD. Animation is another solid choice for 4K discs. Ghost in the Shell looks gorgeous.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

But generally just pick a movie you like and take a quick look at the 4K version's review at https://www.blu-ray.com/4k/ before buying to make sure there's no big issues with it.

Also I'd only recommend spending money on UHD Blu-rays in the first place if your TV can handle HDR well. My cheap-rear end 4K LED TV has pretty bad HDR reproduction so I rather just use the SDR mode for stuff, and unfortunately UHD Blu-rays only contain the HDR version.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Zat posted:

Also I'd only recommend spending money on UHD Blu-rays in the first place if your TV can handle HDR well. My cheap-rear end 4K LED TV has pretty bad HDR reproduction so I rather just use the SDR mode for stuff, and unfortunately UHD Blu-rays only contain the HDR version.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't disabling HDR on the system level on Series X just play the HDR version with that feature removed? Or is that just sending a signal to the streaming service/disc player to play an entirely different version?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I spent that 2 x $15 coupon from Amazon on UHD discs of BR2049 and Fury Road. Can't wait for my kids to turn 18 so I'll be able to eventually watch them!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

One of my favorite 4K discs to watch is the LOTR, but not because of its perfection. Instead, because the film making process begins to come through. With the increased detail and finally getting the color right (after the god awful blu-ray editions) you can more easily see that a beard is fake, a giant lake is really just a pool, those walls aren’t really stone, etc…

While that may detract from the movie, I’ve seen it enough times that it really just makes me appreciate it even more on a different level.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

One of my favorite 4K discs to watch is the LOTR, but not because of its perfection. Instead, because the film making process begins to come through. With the increased detail and finally getting the color right (after the god awful blu-ray editions) you can more easily see that a beard is fake, a giant lake is really just a pool, those walls aren’t really stone, etc…

While that may detract from the movie, I’ve seen it enough times that it really just makes me appreciate it even more on a different level.

I've got a copy of Clockwork Orange coming in on 4K sooner or later and I can't wait to see how gorgeous Kubrick is in 4K. Especially with all the amazing cinematography and color in that film.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

Just wait until the 1966 Batman tv series comes to UHD. If you thought Cesar Romero's painted-over mustache was great in 1080p, it will blow your mind in 4K.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

joylessdivision posted:

I've got a copy of Clockwork Orange coming in on 4K sooner or later and I can't wait to see how gorgeous Kubrick is in 4K. Especially with all the amazing cinematography and color in that film.

2001, The Shining, and Spartacus all look great in 4k so hopefully A Clockwork Orange keeps it going.

There's lots of great looking 4k blu-rays, but I think Lawrence of Arabia is my favorite.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only Blu Ray you'll ever need is Speed Racer, a film so visually rich it had to get compressed to hell and back just to air on cable television

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Honestly also works for basically anything directed by the Wachowskis.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Barudak posted:

The only Blu Ray you'll ever need is Speed Racer, a film so visually rich it had to get compressed to hell and back just to air on cable television

Not even kidding, if they made a 4K UHD w/HDR of that it would be the last disc I buy. Nothing would top it. Don’t even know if I could handle watching it all at once.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I'm excited to see if there are any innovative new filming techniques used in the fourth Matrix film when it comes out. I feel that something really clever must have sparked the desire to return to the franchise after so long and I'm sure that no matter what it will at the very least be a spectacle given the history of the franchise. I know people aren't as fond of the sequels but they had some excellent visuals and entertaining action scenes, imo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

SUNKOS posted:

I feel that something really clever must have sparked the desire to return to the franchise after so long

probably more that the world went into the toilet from 2016 onwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Fishburne and Hugo are both out, either after not being asked or petty scheduling quibbles (according to Hugo). Really put a damper on any excitement I may have had for it.