Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
The one piece of advice my grandpa ever gave me before he died was live on a hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Food Boner posted:

The one piece of advice my grandpa ever gave me before he died was live on a hill.

rip grandpa, killed in a landslide

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
rip grandpa, died chasing a rolling wheel of cheese

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

this is how the brain eating amoeba gets into the brain

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
You're telling me an ameoba is giving me brain?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

On the plus side, there's a decent chance a new trash can or five just showed up in your yard

if you find a trash can in your yard the company is legally responsible to provide disposal service

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1433540993735856131?s=19

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
I'm in the Florida panhandle and there are lot of people that evacuated here that want to go back home or are worried about their loved ones at home. Given Florabama, I've been surprised at the number of people that have expressed concern on FB, NextDoor etc. What are the best south Louisiana mutual aid orgs to direct funds to?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
my buddy in NYC just came home to his apartment to learn that the building, which had no storm damage, had been foreclosed. he痴 been living there for 7 years without a lease, guessing he痴 entirely hosed once the dust water clears.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Moot .1415926535 posted:

my buddy in NYC just came home to his apartment to learn that the building, which had no storm damage, had been foreclosed. he’s been living there for 7 years without a lease, guessing he’s entirely hosed once the dust water clears.

Nah, time to reach out to legal aid but depending on what info he just got he may have years more to stay there

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

the escalation from trash bins to packages to cars in this video is a work of art

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Bip Roberts posted:

these probably weren't set on fire on purpose but if your house is flooding is burning it down a pro strat to avoid the insurance companies being especially stingy with flood damage?

i had a ground water problem where a storm backed up drains and flooded all the lower level units including mine. insurance denied my claim because i didn't have FEMA flood insurance (which wasn't even offered in my area), but they did have the gall to say that if there was a fire caused by the flood then yes that would have been covered

so uhhh, yeah it's probably a good thing those flooded homes are burning to the ground.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i am harry posted:

this is how the brain eating amoeba gets into the brain

SO much water that its homeopathic disease at this point!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Paradoxish posted:

the escalation from trash bins to packages to cars in this video is a work of art

need some majestic lion king music bullshit while the trash cans migrate during monsoon season

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Food Boner posted:

must've been a good hill to die on

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bulgakov posted:

SO much water that its homeopathic disease at this point!

Raw water! :downs:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Jfc why would you ever think it'd be a good idea to jump in eastern seaboard city water? All that infrastructure is over a hundred years old for real. Nobody had EVER replaced it and it'll take decades to rip it out and replace.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Maybe getting Hepatitis A or a brain-eating amoeba is his kink?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

Jfc why would you ever think it'd be a good idea to jump in eastern seaboard city water? All that infrastructure is over a hundred years old for real. Nobody had EVER replaced it and it'll take decades to rip it out and replace.

you just don't GET tik tok, bro *gets sepsis*

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Moot .1415926535 posted:

7 years without a lease

On the face of it this seems like "no lease? you're hosed" but it's actually probably a boon. He needs to take this to court, he is a resident of that building lease notwithstanding. He would be officially, legally a resident of that building in much fewer time than 7 years, even. See if the Lawyer's Guild wants to take it on pro-bono, they may.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Anyone know any mutual funds for NY/PA or Louisiana? :(

also gently caress the way flood insurance works holy hell that poo poo is unfair

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

On the face of it this seems like "no lease? you're hosed" but it's actually probably a boon. He needs to take this to court, he is a resident of that building lease notwithstanding. He would be officially, legally a resident of that building in much fewer time than 7 years, even. See if the Lawyer's Guild wants to take it on pro-bono, they may.

wanna reiterate this. NY state has actual renter protections; it痴 not your friend痴 fault his landlord was foreclosed upon. he should absolutely seek out the lawyer痴 guild or other similar organizations

gently caress that landlord, gently caress that bank

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Beekeeping and You posted:

also gently caress the way flood insurance works holy hell that poo poo is unfair

:capitalism:

you're a loving monster, expecting those poor centi-billion dollar hedge funds to do anything but rake in money. You want it back?!?!!? it's not yours, it's theirs.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Hey, just an update: I知 alive, made it through the storm, a tree fell on a power line then caught fire and caught my neighbor痴 home on fire, he got out ok.

Have some roof damage and had a bunch of water in the house. Had a generator but the serpentine belt broke. Replaced it with a jury rigged lawnmower belt but that melted under the strain. Oh well. No water or power at the moment.

The hospitals are in pretty dire straits, we continue to see a lot of covid cases (I am now fully recovered btw) plus the nursing homes decided to do some truly heinous things and now hospitals are even more overwhelmed with sick old people.

Going to get back to work, I hope all the other goons affected by the current disasters are doing well. We値l get through this!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Most flood insurance only works because it痴 Federally subsidized. if insurance companies actually had to underwrite flood insurance, no one would have flood insurance because when places flood, it痴 entire cities that have claims.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Beekeeping and You posted:

List of mutual aid orgs for Louisiana: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G2B_OeUFm_ONw-9z6qlimRBbHp6-7bWfwRfhrSWDFoM/edit

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nodelphi posted:

Hey, just an update: I知 alive, made it through the storm, a tree fell on a power line then caught fire and caught my neighbor痴 home on fire, he got out ok.

Have some roof damage and had a bunch of water in the house. Had a generator but the serpentine belt broke. Replaced it with a jury rigged lawnmower belt but that melted under the strain. Oh well. No water or power at the moment.

The hospitals are in pretty dire straits, we continue to see a lot of covid cases (I am now fully recovered btw) plus the nursing homes decided to do some truly heinous things and now hospitals are even more overwhelmed with sick old people.

Going to get back to work, I hope all the other goons affected by the current disasters are doing well. We値l get through this!
glad to hear it

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

simply lol if America gets owned by a storm named Larry.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Nodelphi posted:

good to hear, stay dry

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

Nodelphi posted:

Hey, just an update: I知 alive, --

Good luck, Goon.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Nodelphi posted:

Can you post more of what you're hearing about the hospitals and nursing homes? NOLA is now like #17 on the list of media coverage priorities.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Nodelphi posted:

Hey, just an update: I’m alive, made it through the storm, a tree fell on a power line then caught fire and caught my neighbor’s home on fire, he got out ok.

Going to get back to work, I hope all the other goons affected by the current disasters are doing well. We’ll get through this!

Oh the homes abandoned residents to their fate in flooded out facilities resulting in rescue workers discovering war crime atrocities? Weird how this keeps happening every time.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
genuinely glad to get your updates & hear youre safe for the most part; thank you

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
loving 5 more days for power

https://twitter.com/HelenaMorenoLA/status/1433781500537982979

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Asproigerosis posted:

Oh the homes abandoned residents to their fate in flooded out facilities resulting in rescue workers discovering war crime atrocities? Weird how this keeps happening every time.

They crammed 800 nursing home patients into an old underwear factory with mattresses on the floor and 4 people died. Many got sick and overheated.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Asproigerosis posted:

A few years ago some Philly city workers uncovered some intact wooden water mains from over 200 years ago.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

That's pretty loving fast, all things considered. We've had to wait several weeks before we got power in some storms in CT before.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

the water from my taps has smelled like lake water since wednesday night

this cleans my water

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtown_Creek_Wastewater_Treatment_Plant

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

HiHo ChiRho posted:

That's pretty loving fast, all things considered. We've had to wait several weeks before we got power in some storms in CT before.

I don't really trust this timeline. It's suspicious that like 90% of the population is all coming online on the last day listed. I imagine this will be like "Well, see the transmission lines into these places are back up, but 150 transformers blew up, so YOUR power is not back on"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

the water from my taps has smelled like lake water since wednesday night

this cleans my water

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtown_Creek_Wastewater_Treatment_Plant

luv 2 be 50 years delinquent with complying with a mildly comprehensive legal requirement

quote:

The city requested a postponment of the 2013 deadline in consideration of its plan to build a fully compliant Newtown Creek plant by 2022.[11]