Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Here's a simple question. From my days as a court reporter I came to love Shure automatic mixers. Now I think you can turn off all the automatic features still and just use them as mixers, so looking at the sales page it says this SCM-410 has a frequency range of 50 Hz - 20 kHz. Assuming I can turn off the automatic mixing feature, which is extremely cool for speech recording but not so much for music, will this be a decent mixer for music applications? Asking because I have one already and they are going for really cheap online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

If I found that thing for $20 at a garage sale, I'd probably pick it up, but I still wouldn't know how to integrate it in any music setup in a useful way. Ignoring the automatic features entirely, it's a rather poorly equipped mixer that only outputs in mono. And probably really only takes actual microphones for input. I'd gladly take a $100 more fully featured Behringer mixer in its place. Or a $200 Yamaha if I felt I needed to notch up the quality.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Flipperwaldt posted:

If I found that thing for $20 at a garage sale, I'd probably pick it up, but I still wouldn't know how to integrate it in any music setup in a useful way. Ignoring the automatic features entirely, it's a rather poorly equipped mixer that only outputs in mono. And probably really only takes actual microphones for input. I'd gladly take a $100 more fully featured Behringer mixer in its place. Or a $200 Yamaha if I felt I needed to notch up the quality.

I bet if it said Behringer or M-Audio and I called it a mic pre with 4 mic ins instead of Shure mic mixer, maybe you'd have a different attitude.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

petit choux posted:

I bet if it said Behringer or M-Audio and I called it a mic pre with 4 mic ins instead of Shure mic mixer, maybe you'd have a different attitude.
Nah. If it had stereo output and per channel panning, it'd be a great little general purpose thing. Even beter if it had mutes. And if the preamps could also take a line level signal, that would rule. As it is, not a great mixer.

Are the preamps in it suitable to record music through? I have all confidence that they're great for that. If that was the question you meant to ask, then yes.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Flipperwaldt posted:

Nah. If it had stereo output and per channel panning, it'd be a great little general purpose thing. Even beter if it had mutes. And if the preamps could also take a line level signal, that would rule. As it is, not a great mixer.

Are the preamps in it suitable to record music through? I have all confidence that they're great for that. If that was the question you meant to ask, then yes.

Thanks much! And if I came across it at a garage sale for $20 I would definitely buy it myself!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
That's barely a mixer. It's a cheap Dugan clone. https://dandugan.com/products/ Some of his patents expired, so good automixers finally are popping up in lots of pro gear, but you don't need one unless you're mixing meetings or press conferences with lots of identical mics.

don't buy that Shure.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 28, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

eddiewalker posted:

That's barely a mixer. It's a cheap Dugan clone. https://dandugan.com/products/ Some of his patents expired, so good automixers finally are popping up in lots of pro gear, but you don't need one unless you're mixing meetings or press conferences with lots of identical mics.

don't buy that Shure.

Wow, thanks! Well that's what I used to do for a living, so that's why I have it, and why I asked. I used to really appreciate it when I'd arrive at a location and I'd see one of those set up by somebody competent, which wasn't too often. Never, ever saw Dugan hardware.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't think the NMD thread has been updated in a while, but do any of youse guyse have good suggestions for buying a turntable or where to look to for good advice?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

muike posted:

I don't think the NMD thread has been updated in a while, but do any of youse guyse have good suggestions for buying a turntable or where to look to for good advice?

There's a vinyl thread and a thread for stereo enthusiasts, they'll both have some good advice. Here's the vinyl thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417644&pagenumber=760#lastpost

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Are there Soundcloud alternatives that are more generous in terms of giving you more storage space for free (or cheaper)?

Is that basically just Bandcamp and Youtube?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Are there Soundcloud alternatives that are more generous in terms of giving you more storage space for free (or cheaper)?

Is that basically just Bandcamp and Youtube?

Pretty much, yeah. I've stopped using Soundcloud to put out my music and have switched to Bandcamp, for anything that doesn't have the potential to be a copyright violation. Parodies for the Awful Xmas thread go on Soundcloud, but my legit real music and any game score I write and release, even for free, goes on Bandcamp.

AFAIK, you get unlimited storage on there.

Polybrute
Jun 29, 2021
Do you guys do anything specific outside of posting your music to streaming sites? I have a facebook I post to every once in a while but I always feel like I should be doing more. Whether it's instagram, or twitter. Social media has never been a strong suit of mine though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Polybrute posted:

Do you guys do anything specific outside of posting your music to streaming sites? I have a facebook I post to every once in a while but I always feel like I should be doing more. Whether it's instagram, or twitter. Social media has never been a strong suit of mine though.

its a pain in the rear end and can be soul killing, but in my experience it does help to at least somewhat actively post on social media in advance of releases and shows etc. you can usually get away with picking one platform to focus on and just copying poo poo to the others so i would look at other artists in your genre/scene and see where they are most active and find where the crowd is.

there's also companies like distrokid and tunecore, you basically pay them to get you music on other stores and streaming platforms. spotify and apple music and amazon etc plus a bunch of tiny sites, and make them available to use in tiktok videos, or show up on shazam.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I went through some of that for my new album Evergreen speaking of shameless self-promotion. I ended up googling a bunch of college and internet radio stations that accepted online submissions, and sent off demos to about fifty of them. That process sucked but I did get some airplay out of it. It's a challenge because each one has slightly different requirements/requests, and if you don't do it exactly right they will just bounce your poo poo straight to the trash with no reply. It got me some listeners, though, and one of the internet radio stations seems to have really liked it because they play it almost daily.

I absolutely hate promoting my own stuff and would have totally been willing to pay someone to do all of that for me, but it really seems like there's nothing worth a poo poo at the appropriate scale. There are paid promotion companies for college and indie radio, but their pricing plans start out at like a thousand mailers and most of them want you to supply physical discs. I'd absolutely shell out for that if I had any confidence that it would pay off, but I know from college radio friends that a lot of that stuff never even gets heard. Not really keen to drop a few thousand bucks on printing coasters with my name on them.

There are also a few sites that will send your tracks to music bloggers for a small fee, but the actual hit rate on those is approximately bupkiss in my experience.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm looking to commission a piece of music for a video I'm making. I know there's a Work For Hire thread in Creative Convention, but there aren't many musicians in it. Is there a thread for that somewhere here?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

I'm looking to commission a piece of music for a video I'm making. I know there's a Work For Hire thread in Creative Convention, but there aren't many musicians in it. Is there a thread for that somewhere here?

I PM'ed you.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
so on Elite, what's the effect they're throwing on Chino's voice? is it just a digital effect from the time or is just a hosed up vocoder or what

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Chino's vocals on that album are like the world's best advert for Eventide, the doubling patch is allll over it.
As for that particular bit, I always figured it was a vocoder, I've got somewhat close using the saws in Vocalsynth 2 and some chorus (because Cubase doesn't have poo poo for vocoders) and similar with the one in Ableton Live way back when I was using that.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

NonzeroCircle posted:

Chino's vocals on that album are like the world's best advert for Eventide, the doubling patch is allll over it.
As for that particular bit, I always figured it was a vocoder, I've got somewhat close using the saws in Vocalsynth 2 and some chorus (because Cubase doesn't have poo poo for vocoders) and similar with the one in Ableton Live way back when I was using that.

yeah that makes sense to me. i didn't see any straightforward answers when I googled.

while I'm on a deftones kick, anyone have any idea what knobs Stef has on his guitars?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMBK061bYqI
He seems to have installed them on everything and they're very peculiar

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

They look like something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174283336203?hash=item289418aa0b:g:2xoAAOSwLPBf9hHJ

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I thought I had seen people put videos as headers on their Bandcamp albums or profiles (like, have a music video be the first thing you see ), but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this. I subscribed to Pro, but it looks like I can only add videos to individual tracks. Am I crazy, is/was the thing I want to do ever an option?

Can't really seem to search engine up an answer to this.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 18, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Can anyone identify the instrument right at the start of this piece? The one that sounds kind of like an electronic howl?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPb8ZTfQb14

I'm hoping it's a "real" MIDI instrument and not just a distorted sound effect they did as a one-off for that specific bit.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Can anyone identify the instrument right at the start of this piece? The one that sounds kind of like an electronic howl?

sounds like an electric guitar + distortion to me.

or maybe a sample-based midi instrument, you can get that kind of sound with evolution strawberry or vir2 electri6ity run through guitar rig etc. but those are fairly recent, i dont remember what similar stuff was around when that game came out

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah, sounds like somebody doing a divebomb on an electric guitar with a Floyd Rose (or a midi instrument trying to imitate one).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5BrE1Pi5cU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dive_bomb_(guitar_technique)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Great, thank you! To answer an implicit question: I'm pretty sure that the soundtrack for that game was recorded as compressed MP3 or something similar rather than being MIDI with software synthesis at runtime, so they would have had access to whatever real-world instruments and recording equipment the musician(s) had instead of having to rely on a more limited software instrument set.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It's definitely a "guitar FX" sample from a sample CD. Grandia 1 used the Digidesign SampleCell library's METAL EXT PYRO sounds for boss music, but I went through them and it's clearly a different source this time :saddumb: The rest of the track just plays different FX samples in sequence

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
That's either a pinch harmonic and whammy bar or, possibly more likely, a natural harmonic (light touch directly above the fret) and whammy bar on a guitar through a distorted amp.
I dunno how many virtual guitars will be able to do that but if you want some recorded to play as samples just gimme a shout :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thank you for the kind offer! I'm actually not using the samples myself, but I'm trying to communicate to the musician I hired for my game what kind of effect I'm looking for. I'm not sure if they can make use of samples (my impression is that they mostly work with a big ol' bank of instruments, and I don't know the difference between "instrument" and "sample" in this context), but I'll ask!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
On a different, but perhaps related note: I'm trying to work out dialog sounds for the characters in my game. I don't want to deal with the expense and complexity of voice acting, but fully silent dialog lacks punch. I spent a day or so fiddling around with instrument samples and Audacity and came up with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRzklL6xrCw

It works, kind of, but it's a bit too cartoony for the characters. Does anyone have any suggestions for other things to try? I tried more mechanical sounds, but they just made the characters sound like insect people.

The basic process here was:

- Isolate a single note
- Crop/up-tempo it to be about .2s long
- Apply a Paulstretch to smooth out some of the variation and disguise some of the musical origins
- Apply a sliding pitch change of -3 tones so it's deeper at the end of the note
- Optionally adjust the overall pitch

I'm not an expert at sound manipulation...this seems to work OK, but like I said, it's too cartoony. I can't figure out how to make a sound more "serious" though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Are there any good drum machine apps I can use on my android phone? I don't mind spending a few bucks (say, 20 USD) on getting something actually worthwhile. My use case is mostly just having a beat for playing guitar in my basement, but also preferably playing around with weird rhythms (7/4 is a must, 13/4 over 4/4 with triplets is nice).

Alternatively, what thread should I ask in?

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

BonHair posted:

Are there any good drum machine apps I can use on my android phone? I don't mind spending a few bucks (say, 20 USD) on getting something actually worthwhile. My use case is mostly just having a beat for playing guitar in my basement, but also preferably playing around with weird rhythms (7/4 is a must, 13/4 over 4/4 with triplets is nice).

Alternatively, what thread should I ask in?

Have you tried Caustic? Mostly synths, but there's a decent drum machine in there with lots of presets (and you can get more I think) and it's capable of 7/4. I think the pro upgrade was like $10, but it's free initially. Might be worth playing around with at least (I've had a lot of fun with it, for sure).

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

how do you think v/vm does this effect where he shifts the frequencies around to completely change the character of a song. it reminds me of the thing where people turn a song from a minor key to a major one as a joke, but it's much more than a key change here, the effect is much more drastic. i imagine it involves rearranging things in the frequency domain, but any specific software to make that easier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXdWxFj0y3s&t=3179s (52:59)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0FHn4VsU6Y

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I would guess the most expensive version of Melodyne

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

with these artifacts it sounds like SpectraLayers; Zynaptiq Pitchmap would be cheaper and easier to use if you want to quickly remap the scale of a song tho

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, so I'm gonna get some foam for my hurdy gurdy's bag/soft case - specifically, for the top/front and sides. What I'm wondering though, is about contact glue. Since apparently, depending on the glue, the vapours might affect the instrument...so, are there any glues you guys know of and can recommend (for an AusGoon, so nothing US-/Euro-only if possible) that would be OK for my gurdy's case? I assume I should leave it out to air for a day or two either way, but I'd definitely like to protect it with more foam than what it has now. (Which still isn't bad - it's got some real good high-density foam at either end. A lot's exposed though)

EDIT: Here's the case/bag, for reference

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

is there a good way to find teachers over the internet that isn't one of those weird TakeLessons sites or something

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Craigslist or similar, googling for local music studios, asking around at local universities. Sounds like you want lessons over zoom so I guess distance doesn’t matter but local people will probably be happy to do distance teaching in these weird times

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Hawkperson posted:

Craigslist or similar, googling for local music studios, asking around at local universities. Sounds like you want lessons over zoom so I guess distance doesn’t matter but local people will probably be happy to do distance teaching in these weird times

i live in a wasteland and want great classical training. i have looked around me locally and nothing appeals.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Replace “local” with LA or New York or some other classical music capital then. Any city with an orchestra in it will have enough musicians to fulfill your needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

another one: does anyone know of a good/fully featured metronome or metronome app for my phone? i went on the app store and looked at most of the most popular ones, but they all want me to pay money weekly.

i don’t mind buying something with a one time fee, or a real/physical metronome. i do want it to be able to tell me both bpm and what notational tempo i’m in