Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Just spent an hour and a half discussing game end upgrades for Pandemic Legacy because someone thought we hosed up the rules 5 games ago. :suicide:

Never go back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/pff5lj/insane_quacks_of_quedlinburg_misprint_has_anyone/

Mojo Jojo posted:

Never go back

It's fine, just frustrating that there is a literal rule that says "if you gently caress up, just continue"

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Those are painful to look at

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I don't see what did... ohgod...

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

That's why it's Quacks, not Professionals, of Quedlinburg.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
"why did he just post some Quacks sheets, it's...oh...oh dear."

It would definitely take a while for my brain to process what was happening if I pulled those out of a box, there's be some real dissonance as I tried to push out some pieces and got...different pieces instead.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Morpheus posted:

"why did he just post some Quacks sheets, it's...oh...oh dear."

It would definitely take a while for my brain to process what was happening if I pulled those out of a box, there's be some real dissonance as I tried to push out some pieces and got...different pieces instead.

It's kinda fascinating, I wouldn't expect to have that psychological reaction but it feels flat-out wrong instead of just funny.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Had a great time playing the android version of Splendor pass-and-play on my tablet last night.

Thanks to a Humble Bundle a long time ago I've also got the android ports of:

Small World (2)
Ticket to Ride
Carcassone
Settlers of Catan
Galaxy Trucker
The Amazing Labyrinth

plus Baseball Highlights 2045.

What other good board games have a decent android port with hotseat/pass-and-play multiplayer? Googling takes me to a bunch of discussions and pages that haven't been updated in 2 or 3 years (the android tablet experience in a nutshell).

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Imagined posted:

What other good board games have a decent android port with hotseat/pass-and-play multiplayer? Googling takes me to a bunch of discussions and pages that haven't been updated in 2 or 3 years (the android tablet experience in a nutshell).

I own these on the computer so I am only 95% sure these have pass-and-play.

Through the Ages is the gold standard of a board game app, and it's a great game to boot. It's complicated but the tutorial is there to help. Root is also a very good app, also fairly complicated, and there are some aspects that might interrupt the passing and playing (sometimes people need to respond to things). The Sagrada app from the same digital team behind the Root implementation looks good and feels very pass-n-playable, though I haven't played it or the physical game.

edit: i realize after saying this that maybe turns are a bit too long in TtA, but there are modes to play very fast, if you can get your group on board with some chaos.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 1, 2021

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Hive and Onitama are good for pass and play. Patchwork also.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
What are your opinions on the Quackalope channel? I feel like I should like it, but I get this 'off' vibe.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I posit that hive is the best bar game

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Ogdred Weary posted:

What are your opinions on the Quackalope channel? I feel like I should like it, but I get this 'off' vibe.

I'd never heard of them before but apparently that's where sam healy ended up? Hard pass

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Not liking a youtuber is always the correct position.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

Street Horrrsing posted:

I'd never heard of them before but apparently that's where sam healy ended up? Hard pass

They interviewed him. He works for Mythic Games now.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Not liking a youtuber is always the correct position.

Come on. There must be one you like

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
I've watched a few of their videos. Their series on Vast the Mysterious Manor was helpful to understand the different characters. Their game playthroughs are pretty poor, they overlook far too many rules for my taste. Overall I'm not a fan but I can see why people might enjoy them.

Ogdred Weary posted:

Personally I like Before You Play, Gaming Rules, Slickerdrips, Nights Around A Table, BGG's Game Night, Watch It Played tutorials by Rodney, and probably some others I'm forgetting. There's plenty of good content out there!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ogdred Weary posted:

If you dig Gloomhaven, Alice from Rage Badger is worth a click. Boardgame chuds are unhappy with her transitioning recently because there's nothing a chud hates more than people living their authentic lives.
https://youtube.com/c/RageBadgerGaming

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Buck Wildman posted:

I posit that hive is the best bar game

It can't be, the place is already taken by Skull.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
If someone re-did the DOS version of 1830 and/or Advanced Civ but made it not feel like you're playing a computer game from 25 years ago, I would throw money at it faster than you can imagine.

That and a Feast for Odin application.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Loddfafnir posted:

It can't be, the place is already taken by Skull.

boo get off the stage

I think it's great that I can just throw the bag in my pocket and set it up on any flat surface for a mildly thoughtful game for two folks to fiddle at over talk and drinks

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FulsomFrank posted:

If someone re-did the DOS version of 1830 and/or Advanced Civ but made it not feel like you're playing a computer game from 25 years ago, I would throw money at it faster than you can imagine.

Yes I don't know what happened to the original programmer for 1830 but absolutely I wish they were still around and willing to do a 2021 version with AI.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

FulsomFrank posted:

I’ve got the old Kingmaker game, and no floppy drive :(

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I have a question about Crew - do you guys allow communication of general strategy during the round? Like for example "we all need to get rid of color x" or "we need to set up tricks for player x to take", etc. Technically you're not saying anything about the contents of your hand, but I feel like it might be too much for what the game is expecting.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

I have a question about Crew - do you guys allow communication of general strategy during the round? Like for example "we all need to get rid of color x" or "we need to set up tricks for player x to take", etc. Technically you're not saying anything about the contents of your hand, but I feel like it might be too much for what the game is expecting.

That’s a no-no in our eyes. Part of the game is everyone getting on board with the strategy for the round without anyone explicitly saying it. The signals that a single communication or card play are completely diluted if you are saying things out loud like that, imo.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

Ogdred Weary posted:

He and most of the other YouTube “”celebrities“” he does crossover content with come off like little more than a hype crew. They offer no useful criticism or insight regarding the games they’re talking about. Or maybe I just don’t like him, I can’t tell.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
broken token's CEO delivered another half baked half assed apology that also included the news that over half their staff got laid off. And while he's stepping down as CEO he's not divesting himself of ownership.

Holy gently caress dude, hire a publicist.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:guillotine:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Bodanarko posted:

That’s a no-no in our eyes. Part of the game is everyone getting on board with the strategy for the round without anyone explicitly saying it. The signals that a single communication or card play are completely diluted if you are saying things out loud like that, imo.
Same. I feel like discussing anything about the game mid-mission (other than rules clarifications) goes against the spirit of the non-communication rules.

Even saying something like "don't forget the Captain always starts with the 4 of Rockets" is usually implicitly conveying information.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Anyone played Escape the Dark Sector? I love Castle, but Idk if Sector is worth getting if its just the same game with better art.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mayveena posted:

Yes I don't know what happened to the original programmer for 1830 but absolutely I wish they were still around and willing to do a 2021 version with AI.

I've been reading a ton of 1830 discussions on BGG lately and my God does it seem like this is the game that people still to this day are obsessed over. After reading people's games and their play throughs and strategies I think I need to do a total overhaul of how I play it because my complaint of the game going long sounds totally out of step with other people. Christ, Clearclaw is talking about Diesels coming out in like the fourth set of ORs or something.

Madness!

That said, I really want to play more 1849. Our group didn't love it initially but I ordered some tray organisers from the lovely nerds at RailsOnBoards (recommend their new site by the way, cube4me.com) that should make set up and take down of 49, 30, and MEX a lot more seamless. And prettier...

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Clearclaw is talking about Diesels coming out in like the fourth set of ORs or something.

Playing 18XXs with clearclaw's group were by far the most humbling experiences of my board game playing life. it felt like they were speaking a different language around the table.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fate Accomplice posted:

Playing 18XXs with clearclaw's group were by far the most humbling experiences of my board game playing life. it felt like they were speaking a different language around the table.

What was it like? Were they fun to play with? Were you the one who posted that you made a bid or a track placement or something and JC just stared at the board and made a long, drawn out sigh, like you disappointed him in a way only a child can?

I'd love to get a regular 18XX group going but it's really not easy to organise but hopefully with summer winding down it should get easier.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

grate deceiver posted:

Not at all

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

What was it like? Were they fun to play with? Were you the one who posted that you made a bid or a track placement or something and JC just stared at the board and made a long, drawn out sigh, like you disappointed him in a way only a child can?

I'm pretty sure that was me, yeah. I played 18XX with them probably 10 times over a couple months and it felt very much like a child in a classroom tentatively writing on the chalkboard while an array of teachers watched with rulers at the ready.

It was definitely a trial by fire, in a way that board games often aren't. There were moments of fun, but I was mostly lost. No ill will toward them, they had their thing and I wanted to join them and learn the ropes, but I didn't stick with them past that summer as I was already playing games 2-3 times a week otherwise.

They seemed really happy to play different flavors of 18XX 1-2 times a week and I wasn't ready for that kinda commitment when so much cool stuff was coming out.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Bodanarko posted:

Papes posted:

Not at all

Yeah, that makes sense. It kinda defeats the whole purpose of 'no communication' I suppose

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You can sigh and stare at them when they play a bad card, but you can't ask them why the gently caress they would play that. It's a fine line.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

You can sigh and stare at them when they play a bad card, but you can't ask them why the gently caress they would play that. It's a fine line.

Is this Crew chat or clearclaw chat?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is this Crew chat or clearclaw chat?

Por que no los dos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Being a huge fan of Race for the Galaxy online I managed to nab a copy at a game fair today and played with the wife and parents. It's excellent and a completely different experience in person. Explaining it to new people, looking over card pictures, absorbing the theme without any rush and seeing your disfunctional empire laid out makes me giddy.
My wife was very surprised at how the two player variant feels wildly different from the standard game.