Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

smug jeebus posted:

Do these stack?

Yes, curses and auras can both be applied. You only get one curse, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

smug jeebus posted:

Do these stack?
Sort of. They stack BUT if the monster has >=100 resist (immunity) they are both 1/5 effective. It's very hard to break 125+ resist immunities as a result. Even if one of them breaks the immunity, the other is still penalized to 1/5 effectiveness.

-% on weapon/gear/talents/skills is applied when the spell damages and provided the mob isn't currently immune will apply at 1:1 effectiveness. If the mob is immune you do no damage because -res on gear can't break immunes.

-100 is the pvm negative res cap after all calculations. PvP is uncapped.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 2, 2021

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Thanks, thinking about a Vengeance/Conviction P and I know my brother wants to play a Necro

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

alg posted:

I'm so glad this thread exists to get real info I didn't know without the incel screeching about the Amazon and Assassin's faces

I mean, they do look hilariously bad but it's not like you'll ever see them outside of the character creation screen... it's an isometric game, you can only see the top of their heads.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

My favorite sorc build is ES/FO since FO doesn't need a lot of synergy investment you can fully buff up Energy Shield and its synergies for a really tanky character as long as you don't get hit by mana burn mobs. ES gear is also usually pretty cheap since it wants niche stuff with flat phys/magic damage reduction.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Did they ever clarify if you would still be able to create/run mods or did that die at some point?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Cerepol posted:

Did they ever clarify if you would still be able to create/run mods or did that die at some point?

Feels like we are in the dark here. With no tcpip I have no idea how they intend anyone to run mods.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i thought it was pretty obvious mods will be a no go given they have basically said you can use mods that read out data, but injecting is a hard no (something every big mod project relies on):

blizz spokesperson posted:

We acknowledge that a big part of Diablo II’s longevity is the modding community and we appreciate their enthusiasm for the game. Classic Diablo II and its mods will continue to exist and we’re going to do our best to continue to support the mods for Diablo II: Resurrected as well. That said, some mods are atypical and pose security threats to our games. Security has always been a top priority for us and programs that could pose major security issues will not be tolerated.

"do our best to continue to support" lol

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

to be expected, but after 20 years D2 LOD doesn't have the draw it used to even with a new coat of paint.

So far modding from the beta seems to be mostly texture replacements. I'm curious what it'll look like post release

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cerepol posted:

to be expected, but after 20 years D2 LOD doesn't have the draw it used to even with a new coat of paint.

So far modding from the beta seems to be mostly texture replacements. I'm curious what it'll look like post release

ASUS ROG STRIX PALADIN 2000 GAMING-X

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hooplah posted:

i thought it was pretty obvious mods will be a no go given they have basically said you can use mods that read out data, but injecting is a hard no (something every big mod project relies on):

"do our best to continue to support" lol

Yeah, this junk is why I went from "Oh hell yes, day-one buy" to "ehhh, maybe?" If I am it'll probably be the PS5 version instead of the PC. Well, that and playing the beta made me realize that it's just a direct visual upgrade without any kind of good QoL improvements the genre had in the last 20 years. The poo poo going on within the company certainly didn't help either. On top of that it sounds like there won't be a ladder day-one either.

Playing Median XL was a real eye opener and not getting that kind of modding (and being multiplayer at that) is a massive bummer.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The QoL changes you get are:

-Larger stash space including shared stash
-Auto gold pickup
-Ladder items available on non-ladder (including ubers)
-Killing cow king doesn’t prevent you from making the cow level portal again

I’d prefer more, like stackable gems/runes and a trade website, but these are good enough for a nostalgic few months with friends.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
The only other change they really need to make is fixing NHAM. They've even alluded to it not being fixed on purpose rather than because they don't know how

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/RodFergusson/status/1432852604246282242?s=20

This smells like bs to me especially with more of the same slippery noncommittal phrasing. afaik the bug wasn't even in the original game, it cropped up after the synergy patch, so i don't know how they think "concern for the original experience" is an excuse that holds water.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

"Hey, we're aware of the glitch that causes the game to delete your System folder and brick your CPU but we decided that it was part of the original experience that we were concerned of impacting."

D... does this guy know Diablo 2 already exists and remakes are a good opportunity to fix things in the original that never were and improve a little bit on them? It's not like they're radically changing the music or removing the gore or having all loot drops be lootbox keys or somesuch poo poo.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Hooplah posted:

This smells like bs to me especially with more of the same slippery noncommittal phrasing. afaik the bug wasn't even in the original game, it cropped up after the synergy patch, so i don't know how they think "concern for the original experience" is an excuse that holds water.
The bug is from the frame/tick entity management server-side code which causes a ton of stupid bugs. The reason the original team didn't fix it is because it's a load-bearing jenga tower of insane spaghetti code that's called a million times per frame to do an insane number of things in the game.

It's technically an easy fix, but it's far more likely they'll fix it and it will be a huge spiral of unintended side effects. Lots of other bugs also happen in the same function: zeal/strafe/jab doing fake attacks is due to this code, invuln mobs is due to this, ww/leap stuck is due to this code, etc.

I could see them trying it on a PTR after release. If the game receives post-release support, a big if given wc3r's fate, they'll likely lean into more QoL changes due to "community demand".

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 4, 2021

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Khorne posted:

It's technically an easy fix, but it's far more likely they'll fix it and it will be a huge spiral of unintended side effects.

Yeah, I'm sure somebody made the Jira ticket about it, probably early in the process. Then a bunch of engineers exchanged horrified looks when they estimated how long it would take to fix + QA + not burn down anything else in the process. Then it got sidelined in favor of working on launch stability (reasonable!).

Their attempt at a face-saving reply is dumb and horrible, but I'm not surprised this wasn't on their punch list. Stuff like the ethereal armor re-rolling was probably much more straightforward, like, you can find that one line of code and be highly confident in the fix vs. wading into interconnected tangles of 20+ year old code.

Just don't try to tell us fixing ebugged armors was somehow PURE AND GOOD while fixing the next hit missing bug would sully the artistic integrity of the remaster.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

coelomate posted:

Just don't try to tell us fixing ebugged armors was somehow PURE AND GOOD while fixing the next hit missing bug would sully the artistic integrity of the remaster.
At least they're not fixing quest drop glitch for andariel. Not sure if they will for duriel/meph/diablo/baal.

I wonder if they're fixing seal "glitch" in chaos sanc. I know a lot of pvp players are crying that a lot of their changes to weapon switch is real bad. The changes to attack speed while dual wielding are also kind of weird because they're more of a nerf than a buff to something that wasn't that good.

There's also all the weird rubberband stuff from the beta that didn't happen in the non-resurrected game.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 5, 2021

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Khorne posted:

At least they're not fixing quest drop glitch for andariel. Not sure if they will for duriel/meph/diablo/baal.

I wonder if they're fixing seal "glitch" in chaos sanc. I know a lot of pvp players are crying that a lot of their changes to weapon switch, attack speed while dual wielding, etc broke the game.

There's also all the weird rubberband stuff from the beta that didn't happen in the non-resurrected game.

the rubber banding was loving awful, reminiscent of early PoE, and only compounded how lovely maggot lair etc. felt already

I wasn’t really planning on buying d2r for a multitude of other reasons, but that was just one more frustrating poo poo-cherry on top

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Hopefully they have better/more servers for release than they did for the beta.

FWIW, I mostly played the beta on the 2nd Sunday in the open beta, and noticed minimal rubberbanding. East coast US.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

coelomate posted:

FWIW, I mostly played the beta on the 2nd Sunday in the open beta, and noticed minimal rubberbanding. East coast US.

Same, it was pretty much flawless for me.

I'm still torn on hammerdin/blizz or forb sorc/wind druid if I pick this up and honestly I'm also still torn on that to begin with.

I loved this game when it came out but mainly played janky self made builds, my main being a werewolf, so it could be fun to experience an actual good build now.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Does frozen orb still get the bonus if it explodes inside in an enemy? I remember that being the reason it was used over blizzard but that was like 1.09/1.10 when I played.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

latinotwink1997 posted:

Does frozen orb still get the bonus if it explodes inside in an enemy? I remember that being the reason it was used over blizzard but that was like 1.09/1.10 when I played.

I could be wrong I'm far from an expert since I haven't played this game seriously in over a decade but from what I learned watching some videos yes that will still be the case, every skill will be pretty much exactly the same.

And orb seems to be the favorite for a real hybrid build because it doesn't need a lot of synergies but blizzard is stronger if you're willing to give up on having a 2nd element and go all in on it. That's the impression I got anyways.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I love exploding inside my enemies

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Martman posted:

I love exploding inside my enemies

:lumpen:

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

Khorne posted:

The bug is from the frame/tick entity management server-side code which causes a ton of stupid bugs. The reason the original team didn't fix it is because it's a load-bearing jenga tower of insane spaghetti code that's called a million times per frame to do an insane number of things in the game.
talked to a classic games team member a few years ago at blizzcon and diablo 2 was written less like a game and more like someone's graduate/phd thesis code project, which is also why it took so long to get remastered

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Rolled a new sorc to practice MFing for D2R's release. Solo self found through hell, respecced to blizzard, and started hitting Pindleskin hard.

Found this in the first hour, first I've ever seen:

quote:

Death's Fathom

+3 to Sorceress Skill Levels
+20% Faster Cast Rate
+29% to Cold Skill Damage
Lightning Resist +27%
Fire Resist +30%

Oh how I love this game.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

coelomate posted:

Rolled a new sorc to practice MFing for D2R's release. Solo self found through hell, respecced to blizzard, and started hitting Pindleskin hard.

Found this in the first hour, first I've ever seen:

Oh how I love this game.

Nice, I never find anything off of pindle.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

crondaily posted:

Nice, I never find anything off of pindle.

only time i found anything worth a poo poo on him i was botting it. that bot made a lot of cash. it would shopbot for cruels which were wortth a lot then somehoiw and then it'd kill pindy. that was cool

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
What's a good class to start with for someone that never played this? I rolled druid in the beta and had no idea what I was doing. Maybe I'm just bad at games (I am) but if I was going to trial and error my way through diablo 2 in 2021 like a dumbass how would you gently guide me like a child?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A summoner druid or necromancer would be the most "gear-independent", but the playstyle is also very stylized and the specific bottlenecks of act-end bosses and Maggot Lair can be off-putting to a newcomer

I would recommend a Paladin as a beginning character:

- pick up all the prerequisites required for Zeal, Fanaticism Aura, and Holy Shield
- use the prerequisites while you don't have those two yet, which is Sacrifice for your main attack, and Might Aura, and then later Concentration Aura. When you get Zeal, start using that. When you get Holy Shield, start using that. When you get Fanaticism Aura, start using that
- put enough points into Zeal to get to five attacks
- save everything else
- when you get to Fanaticism Aura, max that out
- once Fanaticism Aura is maxed out, go back and max out Holy Shield
- then you can go back and max out Sacrifice, which will increase your damage from Zeal
- that should give you something like 11 skill points remaining by the time you end Nightmare difficulty at level 75
- for stats, you can just keep dumping everything into Vitality, until you see a piece of equipment you like, and then you can put points into Strength/Dexterity to meet those prerequisites

I'm recommending this because the melee Paladin is very simple to play. Left-click everything until it dies. Cast Holy Shield whenever it's not activated. Keep Fanaticism Aura active the whole rest of the time.

The skill selection is also very easy - while there are other melee classes, something like a Martial Arts Assassin or a Barbarian can be a little more complicated to play.

You're guaranteed to be able to finish Nightmare on this (pretty much all classes can, but again, much simpler for the Paladin), and by the time you're done there, you should be familiar enough with the game that you can look at trying something else, while also having a character that can "farm" some items for whatever second character you might want.

You could even take such a character into Hell, but Hell is always a bigger leap in terms of needing "good" gear.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
yeah a brainless left click build is ideal given diablo 2 actually has a decent story from what I've heard. Cheers!

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Zeal rules, but Holy Fire is actually mych stronger for normal, if you're willing to burn a respec to change later.

Then Holy Freeze may even be more newbie friendly for nm/hell than Fanatacism. Lots of safety from the slowing effect, less dependent on finding/making/trading into a strong weapon, and if you keep going in hell you'll have two damage types.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, any of the Holy Fire/Freeze/Shock skills are a perfectly workable alternative to Fanaticism, though investing in the synergy (and leaving Sacrifice as a Zeal synergy for last) would eat up even more points

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Whirlwind Barb is pretty straightforward too. Pick a weapon specialty, put points in it. Level to WW, put points into it. Left click, have fun!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

Whirlwind Barb is pretty straightforward too. Pick a weapon specialty, put points in it. Level to WW, put points into it. Left click, have fun!

Then tank and die while your friends laugh at you while safely attacking from a distance

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

WW barb is pretty brutal for a new player's first character though. Very item dependent, and the good/easy items require knowledge of weapon bases, socketing, and runewords.

Probably the most newbie-friendly build is a fissure druid. Just put points in firestorm, then fissure. Grab a wolf or a spirit if you want. Cruises through mid-nightmare without gear or independent thought required.

Some info: https://d2.maxroll.gg/guides/druid-leveling

Khorne
May 1, 2002

coelomate posted:

Probably the most newbie-friendly build is a fissure druid. Just put points in firestorm, then fissure. Grab a wolf or a spirit if you want. Cruises through mid-nightmare without gear or independent thought required.

Yeah, then you can swap to a different elemental druid in hell.

Trap assassin (start fire, respec lit later for hell or late nm) and ele druid (start fire, respec to a different ele druid build in hell or late nm) are two great spell casting starter characters. You will do the most damage in any starting group. They're lots of fun and have a much better qol than sorc until later on.

Sorc is great but has a learning curve & a bit more tedium before you get to the fun part. That might appeal to some people but others might not want to deal with it. Another advantage to sin & druid is they aren't all that popular so picking up core items can be a bit cheaper. Druid also has a good group buff.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You can dump points into Smite once you have Zeal' synergy and Holy Shield maxed out. Good for single targets like bosses because it doesn't use attack rating, so it can't miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im pretty sure a zealot can walk through any content in the game with trash gear. ive done it like 30 times. toss a point in salvation and its a cakewalk.

ive always wanted to play a tesladin, but i also want to play a conviction/vengeance guy. but single target. fail.

i saw some crazy videos about holy fire guys. there's items that boost it like a million levels and people jack that poo poo up to like lvl 40+ lmfao. crazy