Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

solved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

A MIRACLE posted:

gently caress

I want to say the thing thats resonated with me in this thread so far hasn’t had anything to do with aliens, it’s been the idea that our brains can access extra stuff beyond the first five senses. not sure how to put it exactly there’s been a lot of posts about it itt.

like you can see the past, because your brain captures pictures and sounds and turns it into memories. then go back and replay it.

but the future is the same thing. play back stuff that is going to happen in your mind. like a memory. then later it pretty much goes down like you already thought. and it turns into the past

this is how it works on tralfamadore

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

A MIRACLE posted:

gently caress

I want to say the thing thats resonated with me in this thread so far hasn’t had anything to do with aliens, it’s been the idea that our brains can access extra stuff beyond the first five senses. not sure how to put it exactly there’s been a lot of posts about it itt.

like you can see the past, because your brain captures pictures and sounds and turns it into memories. then go back and replay it.

but the future is the same thing. play back stuff that is going to happen in your mind. like a memory. then later it pretty much goes down like you already thought. and it turns into the past

i'm like..70% sure precognition isn't real

that used to be 99% but i've been following the covid thread for long enough where i've started wondering about some of the posters here and i'm thinking that 70% is gonna keep dropping because this decade is stupid as gently caress, I guess aliens are real now? psychics are probably real too gently caress it why not, ghosts are gonna be real next or something

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Human telepathy isn't real imo

There could absolutely exist some animal, even on Earth, that has WiFi for its neurons, and can use a set of organs or etc to connect to the neurons of other examples of its species, but I don't think humans can.

I don't think precognition is real either; I'm not a biologist but I don't understand how it could evolve in an animal or how it would work. An organ that could sense quantum fluctuation? That could sense it and parse it into a view of the future past the time it takes for a photon to pass through a little screen, the scale where we can see changes caused by observation? Idk

e aren't there fish that communicate via electrical impulses, like not just to shock each other or predators as a defensive mechanism, that could count imo

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
we got no fukken idea what time, space, matter, energy are. like no fuckin idea what they really, actually are.

i say that as someone who has terminal ngdt brain and has to keep hitting the "shutup dumbshit" switch in my brain when i just want to chill and read this thread.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Mola Yam posted:

we got no fukken idea what time, space, matter, energy are. like no fuckin idea what they really, actually are.

i say that as someone who has terminal ngdt brain and has to keep hitting the "shutup dumbshit" switch in my brain when i just want to chill and read this thread.

what does ngdt brain mean? I tried to google it but didn't find anything that made sense in context

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
neil gre dass tyson

i'm drunk sue me

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

dont worry like 2/3 of my posts are drunk or stoned these days

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't think you super powers to predict that all the institutions and the assholes obsessed with their Linkedin profiles running those institutions would fail to do anything besides protect their own individual careers in the face of COVID.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I just don't get ESP because... evolutionary we'd either all have it or none right?
Like it's such a huge advantage that unless it's a thoroughly modern mutation it had no chance to propagate in which case almost no one would have it so it also doesn't really matter in that sense

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
maybe i dunno. been thinking about human variability a lot recently. only recently found out that aphantasia is a thing, i have it, and it's not common. i was like, wait, "visualisation" wasn't just a figure of speech? like you get more than just a vague concept?

and then there are people who claim to remember being born, and others who swear they remember nothing before age 10.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I just don't get ESP because... evolutionary we'd either all have it or none right?
Like it's such a huge advantage that unless it's a thoroughly modern mutation it had no chance to propagate in which case almost no one would have it so it also doesn't really matter in that sense

Maybe it could have emerged relatively recently, in the last few thousand years or so, when threats became more numerous and faster (arrows, spears, poo poo getting thrown by catapults, then bullets, artillery, even cars in everyday life) and results of not having it got more deadly (you didn't foresee that the village you're going to was going to get destroyed by the axis/allies the next day, so you and a bunch of other people died), paring down the pool of people who definitely aren't psychic, but I mostly think it just doesn't exist

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
There’s a lot of weird evidence out there if go down the rabbit hole. The PEAR Institute, Targ/Swann/all their buddies, the Russian investigations.

Like others have said, seeing as how we can’t even pinpoint the exact source of consciousness, it’s foolish to say “naw there’s no way that poo poo exists”.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
what if esp is more of a spectrum than an on / off thing

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

blatman posted:

dont worry like 2/3 of my posts are drunk or stoned these days

Lol if you're not high 24/7, the birds might pick you up when you're not and then they won't trust that you're cool and they won't share the space weed

To big a risk to not be high at all times these days.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Left handedness gives a real advantage in fighting(something done often in human history) but it's only 10-15% that is.

I think it's just not a trait that increases chances to procreate and once it does become more common the advantage wanes.

Maybe ESP people become weird because of the ESP and gets less likely to get laid. So then they kidnap princesses and so forth.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

500excf type r posted:

time to channel Wapner

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Sorry guys but everyone develops ESP and telepathy around 25 years old but it gets blocked if you smoke weed. We are all thinking about why you refused to join the collective hivemind.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

weed gives me other powers tho

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Worth it

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

500excf type r posted:

If you believe the stories from the various US government psychic projects, it does seem to be that way. Pat Price was supposedly a lot more capable than Ingo Swann, for example (there's a fun story in Annie Jacobsen's Phenomenon about Price and Swann remote viewing the same location, which ends with them getting investigated 'cos Price allegedly got inside a bunker and supplied secret codenames while Swann could only describe the exterior).

Both the US and CIA also put some effort into finding ways to activate or strengthen ESP in anyone.

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Mola Yam posted:

maybe i dunno. been thinking about human variability a lot recently. only recently found out that aphantasia is a thing, i have it, and it's not common. i was like, wait, "visualisation" wasn't just a figure of speech? like you get more than just a vague concept?

and then there are people who claim to remember being born, and others who swear they remember nothing before age 10.

this is fascinating. if you were to try and recall a scene from your favorite movie, what comes to mind?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

ESP, precog, limited telepathy, these all fall under multiple intelligence theory for me. almost everyone starts with a foundation, nature/nurture happen, and you end up with your strengths and weaknesses. almost everyone has some level of access to these things, but very very few in the white western world actually end up cultivating them because their systems/institutions dont support that role within their communities.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

If something like low level psy exists, I think it's more likely that it's tied into a very primitive, very old area of our brains that modernity has mostly made irrelevant.

I got real into trail running in college, and I remember the book Born to Run exploring the idea that humans realistically had no evolutionary advantage over any other hominid outside of our ability to distance run and persistence hunt - and that the thought process of trying to visualize where an animal you're hunting to exhaustion may have run off to when you can't see it may have been the earliest form of human abstract thought.

At the expense of reductionism that discounts the tracking skills of tribes that still hunt that way today in the Kalahari and such, It would make sense to me if there's a forgotten link to some kind of quantum information stream or some poo poo that originally arose as a means of survival in a world that doesn't look at all like the current one.

Mola Yam posted:

This.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i think when we all decided to reprogram ourselves for language we centered our cognition in the brain neurons and let the other major neuron clusters go to pot. everyone still has those systems, theyre just been de-prioritized for so long theyre now thought of as being "instinct"

people still get very real "gut feelings" and i wish we all spent a little more time listening to our stomach brain

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Objurium posted:

the thought process of trying to visualize where an animal you're hunting to exhaustion may have run off to when you can't see it may have been the earliest form of human abstract thought.

this kind of reasoning is deeply human-centric. many animals are capable of this kind of prediction and analysis, including ones as relatively simple as spiders. it is a capability that can hardly be said to originate in pre-modern humans. as we dig deeper and deeper into animal behavior we realize that a vast number of behaviors and capabilities previously thought to be "human" are just things we have taken to an extreme, rather than something unique to ourselves.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

i want to see the cool alien spaceships. why won't you show us the cool alien space ships.

hseroK divaD
Jun 3, 2011

Creepy Richard will keep leering at you NON-STOP!

Mola Yam posted:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Another WaPo piece on UFOlogy. Use the usual means to get around the paywall if necessary:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2021/ufo-conspiracy-theorist/?itid=hp-top-table-high

e. a profile of the current MUFON president

Bilirubin has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Sep 3, 2021

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Jazerus posted:

this kind of reasoning is deeply human-centric. many animals are capable of this kind of prediction and analysis, including ones as relatively simple as spiders. it is a capability that can hardly be said to originate in pre-modern humans. as we dig deeper and deeper into animal behavior we realize that a vast number of behaviors and capabilities previously thought to be "human" are just things we have taken to an extreme, rather than something unique to ourselves.

Oh to be clear I don't think stuff like this is at all limited to humans, if it exists at all to begin with. As we continue to develop a better understanding of quantum mechanics I'd wager there's probably a lot of exploitations of it that occur in the animal kingdom naturally, like birds having a Schrodinger's magnetosphere compass.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Saucer Hovers posted:

ESP, precog, limited telepathy, these all fall under multiple intelligence theory for me. almost everyone starts with a foundation, nature/nurture happen, and you end up with your strengths and weaknesses. almost everyone has some level of access to these things, but very very few in the white western world actually end up cultivating them because their systems/institutions dont support that role within their communities.

I get the feeling the more you 'know' as in the more facts you have in your memory about what we perceive as reality, the more you think of that reality as being concrete and absolute, the more you get effectively locked out of esp, because esp is somehow tied into the imagining part of the brain and if you can't imagine fantastic things happening then they simply can't. Like how the precognition in dune effectively locks you into just one future and the key to changing said future is to not look in the first place. Basically engineer brain is not compatible with esp and perhaps it dampens the ability of others you interact with as well? So modern society surrounds you with tech 24/7 and there simply isn't the space.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I get the feeling the more you 'know' as in the more facts you have in your memory about what we perceive as reality, the more you think of that reality as being concrete and absolute, the more you get effectively locked out of esp, because esp is somehow tied into the imagining part of the brain and if you can't imagine fantastic things happening then they simply can't. Like how the precognition in dune effectively locks you into just one future and the key to changing said future is to not look in the first place. Basically engineer brain is not compatible with esp and perhaps it dampens the ability of others you interact with as well? So modern society surrounds you with tech 24/7 and there simply isn't the space.

I don't remember dune but I like that concept because it sounds like the photon experiment at scale

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

https://twitter.com/nickschadegg/status/1433570022207602691

lol

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

lue did a podcast yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1DZMD4T2_I

interesting points imo

1. lue's been relatively inactive due to a cancer scare. seems like a false positive or otherwise non-severe situation but he's been in rough shape.
2. any special access program that wouldn't let chris mellon have access is unambiguously, legally, a rogue & illegal program. (note: mellon has talked pretty extensively about a program that wouldn't allow him access)
3. lue is aware of "biological effects" from UAPs and has seen some correlation between "havana syndrome" and birds, but there is no conclusive link
4. current government UAP efforts are focusing on the connection between birds and nukes that coulthart has been so interested in.
5. there is a current effort to get conclusive sensor readings on birds in the next six months
6. "more than 50%" of involved government people agree that it's not russia or china, but nobody agrees on what birds are
7. lue speculating on some real timecube poo poo
8. "anybody who says they have the answer is full of poo poo"
9. different types of UAPs (tictacs, triangles, etc.) seem to have different mission profiles but same technology. there will be "more information" in the "near term"
10. lue just wants to grill

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Jazerus posted:

lue did a podcast yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1DZMD4T2_I

interesting points imo

1. lue's been relatively inactive due to a cancer scare. seems like a false positive or otherwise non-severe situation but he's been in rough shape.
2. any special access program that wouldn't let chris mellon have access is unambiguously, legally, a rogue & illegal program. (note: mellon has talked pretty extensively about a program that wouldn't allow him access)
3. lue is aware of "biological effects" from UAPs and has seen some correlation between "havana syndrome" and birds, but there is no conclusive link
4. current government UAP efforts are focusing on the connection between birds and nukes that coulthart has been so interested in.
5. there is a current effort to get conclusive sensor readings on birds in the next six months
6. "more than 50%" of involved government people agree that it's not russia or china, but nobody agrees on what birds are
7. lue speculating on some real timecube poo poo
8. "anybody who says they have the answer is full of poo poo"
9. different types of UAPs (tictacs, triangles, etc.) seem to have different mission profiles but same technology. there will be "more information" in the "near term"
10. lue just wants to grill

a little after 1 minute in it turns out the podcast sponsor is a pube trimming tool. lmao

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Jazerus posted:

aliens stopping deep state goons from enacting awful schemes by giving them headaches would be great

good job dudes i hope thats you

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

space chandeliers posted:

this is fascinating. if you were to try and recall a scene from your favorite movie, what comes to mind?

i have a pretty good memory, so I can remember the dialogue, and definitely the music. and the "feel" of the scene, like the emotional beats. and i know what would be happening on screen, i just can't see it.

i think i might be like a 0.5 or a 1 on the scale instead of a zero, as I do get what i think are brief visual flashes of things, if i concentrate hard. also i dream normally (??? i think), with all five senses

but yeah, if you're like "imagine tilting a board with a ball on it to roll it around", i can imagine the sound it makes and the vibrations of the board and i can imagine the ball moving around, but if you're like "and the ball is matte red, the board is shiny black" i'm like why would you tell me that, what am i supposed to do with that information?

but yeah, i only found out that this is unusual and most people actually visualise like two years ago, in my thirties.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

i have a pretty good memory, so I can remember the dialogue, and definitely the music. and the "feel" of the scene, like the emotional beats. and i know what would be happening on screen, i just can't see it.

i think i might be like a 0.5 or a 1 on the scale instead of a zero, as I do get what i think are brief visual flashes of things, if i concentrate hard. also i dream normally (??? i think), with all five senses

but yeah, if you're like "imagine tilting a board with a ball on it to roll it around", i can imagine the sound it makes and the vibrations of the board and i can imagine the ball moving around, but if you're like "and the ball is matte red, the board is shiny black" i'm like why would you tell me that, what am i supposed to do with that information?

but yeah, i only found out that this is unusual and most people actually visualise like two years ago, in my thirties.

weird. so if I say something like the name "Arnold Schwarzenegger" you aren't able to picture his face?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
only in like the most fleeting, tenuous way, if i concentrate. also i need to link it to a scene in a movie with him; it needs to be anchored to the lines or music or energy in that scene. i absolutely cannot visualise a "neutral" arnie.

definitely a 1, 1.3333 tops on this scale. 6's are pretty rare too, I think, but yeah, for 95% of my life i thought people were speaking metaphorically when they talked about visualising something. "like, you mean 'conceptualise', right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Mola Yam posted:

only in like the most fleeting, tenuous way, if i concentrate. also i need to link it to a scene in a movie with him; it needs to be anchored to the lines or music or energy in that scene. i absolutely cannot visualise a "neutral" arnie.

I visit a Twitch stream with two twin girls (shoutout to http://twitch.tv/atomictwins ) and one was talking about discovering aphantasia, and it sounds like they both have it, obviously implying a genetic link. She said instead of visualizing a shovel, for instance, she thinks about the act of shoveling from basically a first-person perspective.