Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
RIP Seaboard

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/2/22653749/music-startup-roli-administration-reform-luminary-lumi-keys-app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How was a Seaboard to play? I think they look cool but also like something that would be in an ad next to impossibly fitted hooded anime jackets or a glow in the dark ant farm.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i have no idea what the hell to do with synths but i want an EML101 so loving bad dude

i hope someone will make a clone of it or a really good vst of it one day but at the same time, no ones cared to after like 40 years so

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i was never a fan of roli stuff but man the talk about “hypergrowth” is truly grim

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Startyde posted:

The firmware update fixes it usually, sometimes they need more debounce, the fix isn’t hard.
Like most waldorfs it’s worth dealing with the quirks, imo. You’ll also run into patch-dependent lagginess in multi mode, patch-dependent (unknowable via the UI) polyphony limits, MIDI sync’d LFO and FX that don’t or do so wrongly. All regular rear end Waldorf.

No idea why softsynths and workstation boards are so popular. :v:

Whats debounce? I feel a little more reassured after your post. Im not trying to push it with huge amounts of voices, modulation, fx, etc, I just bought it because it seemed like a very flexible and affordable polysynth. My planned workflow will be to make baselines and mono stuff with it to resample into the digitakt, and then pads and leads to record in stereo when I record my jams onto ableton.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

debounce is like when you have some kind of automation set up based on incoming signal, if you receive a bunch of spam on that signal you don't necessarily want to act on every single one, so you batch them up and wait a sec before acting on it

so like on a web search form where it auto populates the results as you type, you don't want to make a search request to the server every keystroke, because what if the user is a really fast typer, so you give it a sec before searching just one time. then after a second or 500ms or whatever its cool to do another search

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Rolo posted:

How was a Seaboard to play? I think they look cool but also like something that would be in an ad next to impossibly fitted hooded anime jackets or a glow in the dark ant farm.

It felt weird when I tried it in store. Weird enough that I basically stopped considering it and went looking at linnstruments instead. Basically, yeah, it looks like a piano, but it didn't feel like one so there wasn't as much skill transfer as I'd expect (not that I'm great at piano, either, though).

This https://www.expressivee.com/2-osmose seems like a better idea, but it isn't out yet and has been delayed a lot due to covid.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

watho posted:

i was never a fan of roli stuff but man the talk about “hypergrowth” is truly grim

That's kinda techstartup.txt though.

(The tech startup world is pretty grim.)

Back on topic though, given that Roli was the poster child for MPE, what's actually left out there in terms of MPE devices? The Linnstrument and that not-yet-released Osmose thing?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

petit choux posted:

All right, I went ahead and decided to live in a barrel and sell sexual favors for October and buy a Korg NTS-1. So come on down by the barrel and check out my new synthesizer with me!

Lol -- it's a fun little device, though. One thing: if you want to send MIDI to it, you probably want the adaptor that lets you use a standard MIDI cable (unless your drum brain does MIDI-over-3.5mm).

For drum kits, I haven't tried any of these, but this is what I've seen:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=542084 -- free
https://www.soundmangling.com/2020/05/14/beats-user-oscillator/ - $19
https://www.sinevibes.com/korggroove/ -- $59 + tax (or buy their whole collection for $129?)

So far I've only been using free plugins, and been enjoying those. HammondEggs has some nice reverbs, as well as a supersaw oscillator, and a bunch of other things (distortion, looper, etc):

http://hammondeggsmusic.ca/logueplugins.html

He's also released a tutorial project if you want to go down the DSP programming rabbit hole:

https://github.com/hammondeggs/logue_RandomLFOTutorial

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
The Linnstrument is really something, I don’t think too many things in the music instrument/device business are as well realized as it was. Firmware’s even open.
Roli felt like a trick, didn’t care for the material, that it wasn’t standalone, or that it had raised keys. Nubs on or very slight raised lines between (think Easel) maybe would’ve been better.
That they’re scrambling for some Harmonix edutainment kind of stuff is lol :rip: “hypergrowth” in music merchandise, only if you Uli.

titty_baby_ posted:

Whats debounce? I feel a little more reassured after your post. Im not trying to push it with huge amounts of voices, modulation, fx, etc, I just bought it because it seemed like a very flexible and affordable polysynth. My planned workflow will be to make baselines and mono stuff with it to resample into the digitakt, and then pads and leads to record in stereo when I record my jams onto ableton.

Debounce caps across the encoder legs
https://www.flickr.com/photos/37590856@N03/5388279754

It is indeed a very flexible and affordable polysynth. It is also a sampler buffet, enjoy the feeding frenzy. :birddrugs:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

A MIRACLE posted:

debounce is like when you have some kind of automation set up based on incoming signal, if you receive a bunch of spam on that signal you don't necessarily want to act on every single one, so you batch them up and wait a sec before acting on it

so named because the contacts in mechanical switches actually literally bounce

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Makes sense

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Startyde posted:

The Linnstrument is really something, I don’t think too many things in the music instrument/device business are as well realized as it was. Firmware’s even open.
Roli felt like a trick, didn’t care for the material, that it wasn’t standalone, or that it had raised keys. Nubs on or very slight raised lines between (think Easel) maybe would’ve been better.

I was very disinterested in the Roli after having used it. It didn't seem particularly interesting, new, or expressive. The Linnstrument, on the other hand, actually made me stick around the booth and gently caress around with it for a while when I played with one. It's so entirely different a thing from the Roli boards. I mean, it also helped that Roger Linn himself was talking to me about it, but the thing seems like something genuinely trying something different than yet another piano-style controller.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

As usual, I went on basecks Instagram and got mad gas, this little thing looks like a cool way to generate rhythms on a modular:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTVN30OAXkJ/?utm_medium=copy_link
https://www.moffenzeefmodular.com/store/pocket-clock-it

I'm on holiday this weekend but depending on how much I spend on food and booze I might pick one up.

How are the keys in the Yamaha reface cs? It solves a couple of problems for me (don't have a poly or a midi keyboard atm), I like the sound and the price is right.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Nice minikeys but no velocity on the CS. The other refaces do tho. Check out the DX too.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

What voltage is a synth supposed to output through an expression pedal jack? I'm seeing 15 volts on this dx7's volume and expression pedal jacks, and 5 volts on the sustain and portamento pedal jacks. I definitely killed this boss ev-30 I was trying to use with it, it's got the burnt electronics smell.

Edit: pedal still shows the whole range when I use it with my midi controller, think it's ok

brand engager fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 3, 2021

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

brand engager posted:

What voltage is a synth supposed to output through an expression pedal jack? I'm seeing 15 volts on this dx7's volume and expression pedal jacks, and 5 volts on the sustain and portamento pedal jacks. I definitely killed this boss ev-30 I was trying to use with it, it's got the burnt electronics smell.

Edit: pedal still shows the whole range when I use it with my midi controller, think it's ok

I always used a cheapo M-Audio expression pedal with my DX7 and never had any problems, no idea what the voltage is supposed to be but they're a totally passive circuit so it should be fine. 5V does sound more standard than 15, and it's weird that the portamento jack is different from the volume and expression jacks since they are all continuous value inputs (vs an on/off switch for sustain).

The dedicated portamento expression input is great though, I don't know of any other synths that have one but you can do "inverted" portamento with an expression pedal and change it on the fly while you're playing to get some real funky sounds.

Edit: also if I remember right, the sustain pedal on the DX7 is opposite polarity from most modern synths- most will have a polarity switch underneath the pedal.

a loathsome bird fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 3, 2021

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I wish I had checked the resistances before using it, but it seems like theres very little resistance on the wiper arm of the pot of the pedal now. I checked what voltages are coming out of the pedal jacks of my keylab2 and they're all 3.2v. 15v seems really weird

Edit: I mean the current-limiting resistance doesn't seem to be there, like this 1k resistor in this example, maybe it failed into a short

https://www.strymon.net/strymon-tech-corner-1-anatomy-of-an-expression-pedal/

brand engager fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 3, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone here that enjoys the PO-33 workflow move up to an OP-Z at some point? I've been watching some videos on it and it looks like its just a big fun pocket operator.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

It does look cool. I think I am going to get the OP-1 at some point tho

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm thinking more and more that a 1 or Z is on the horizon. I enjoy learning synthesis with my Korg stuff but there is just something happening when I pour a glass of gin, grab my KO or Arcade with some studio headphones and just throw down some grooves. It puts me in a zone.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

It’s funny you’re all talking about the OP-1/Z now, since I’m just getting back into synthesis after a long layoff, and just put down the money for an OP-1 since I’ve lusted after it for ages (along with 3 of the Pocket Operators; Rhythm, Office and Robot iirc). Between that, and me shopping around for a new laptop for music production, it’s gonna be a rough month for my wallet, but hey, birthday’s coming up, I can splurge a little :retrogames:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
:yeah:

I got a promotion this week that kicks in Monday. They usually happen every 3 or so years and involve a month of training in another state. I like to get myself a present as a congrats and to have something other than manuals to play with in the hotel.

Last time it was a Switch and some games, this time it’s probably gonna be a Z/1. Just deciding which kind of workflow I’m going to enjoy more coming from PO’s, Volcas and a Minilogue.

Edit: got an OP-1. That’s gonna be it, no more gear for awhile.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 3, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Rolo posted:

That’s gonna be it, no more gear for awhile.

in this thread that sentiment should always require a toxx clause

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

wavestate is getting user uploaded samples

I want the se to come out already

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I clipped the leads to both wiper arms and soldered a 1k resistor to each. One of the ports works with the dx7 now, the other one still seems too messed up

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Anyone in here grab an EssenceFM? How's the software/UI been? I like the layers approach, it's on sale and I Don't Need It.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Not exactly synth related, but I just found this site yesterday - it uses AI to separate vocals from instrumentals. It can apparently also separate drums and pianos. I just tried it on a little pop song from an Anime (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9i4bOoc-dk) - it did an OK job. There's a bit of aliasing in places, and a little bit of bleed/dropout. But, if there's something you really want to try and mess around with, the first 10 minutes of processing are free, and you get a preview to find out if you want to spend your free minutes/if its usable.

https://www.lalal.ai/

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

toadee posted:

Not exactly synth related, but I just found this site yesterday - it uses AI to separate vocals from instrumentals. It can apparently also separate drums and pianos. I just tried it on a little pop song from an Anime (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9i4bOoc-dk) - it did an OK job. There's a bit of aliasing in places, and a little bit of bleed/dropout. But, if there's something you really want to try and mess around with, the first 10 minutes of processing are free, and you get a preview to find out if you want to spend your free minutes/if its usable.

This is awesome and totally synth related cuz now i can steal much better samples :getin:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rutibex posted:

This is awesome and totally synth related cuz now i can steal much better samples :getin:

If I knew how easy it would be to sample stuff I would have started doing it and collecting old weird vinyl years ago.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

toadee posted:

I was playing around with this and it works really well. It separated the vocals from Magic Man pretty much flawlessly for me, that's tough material for any algorithm. It does however reveal the corners cut by the mp3 compression, so the better your source material the less it will mangle it in the noisier parts.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Figured out why the dx7 roasted that exp pedal, they don't use the normal pinout.
Normal:
Sleeve - ground
Ring - whatever reference voltage
Tip - return path from wiper, current limited

DX7:
Sleeve - ground
Ring - return path from wiper, limited to 1.5mA
Tip - 15 volts, limited at 400 - 500 mA

Using something with the normal pinout will run about 6 watts through the potentiometer when the pedal is in the heel position.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

I love mine. Said to see Roli eat poo poo but I'm honestly not surprised. They seemed determined to expand as quickly as possible into areas that were not their core business, and I think their core business suffered for it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

I love mine. Said to see Roli eat poo poo but I'm honestly not surprised. They seemed determined to expand as quickly as possible into areas that were not their core business, and I think their core business suffered for it.

Roli fell into the trap of letting Apple only market their BLOCKS products alongside iOS devices instead of Macs in their stores, unaware that that would make a lot of prospective buyers take said products less seriously and not more seriously

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Indeed. Regarding the MPE question above though, I think Roli's biggest legacy will probably be that they did push pretty hard for the standardization of MPE, and it's much more ubiquitous now than it used to be. I've now got something like a dozen MPE-enabled softsynths I can use with my Seaboard, and those should be usable with whatever comes after the Seaboard as well.

The Linnstrument looks cool as hell and I might try one of those one day, but I find the keyboardishness of the Seaboard to be a strength, rather than a weakness. You can slot it in to your setup as a regular (albeit weird feeling) midi controller when need be, and the expressive bits of it are intuitive enough that anyone who knows how to play keyboards sorta gets it immediately.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Roli's other big legacy is Juce, and I hope that gets open-sourced or something. It feels like half of new audio apps are using it under the hood.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

snorch posted:

Roli's other big legacy is Juce, and I hope that gets open-sourced or something. It feels like half of new audio apps are using it under the hood.

roli implodes and takes them all with it

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Picked up Korg Gadget for the Switch yesterday on a whim, it's entertaining as hell. It's a little bit ableton, a little bit tracker. I did the tutorial and wound up with an 80s/hip hop/disco version of the ABC song and giggled like a lunatic listening to it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

Picked up Korg Gadget for the Switch yesterday on a whim, it's entertaining as hell. It's a little bit ableton, a little bit tracker. I did the tutorial and wound up with an 80s/hip hop/disco version of the ABC song and giggled like a lunatic listening to it.

you should’ve got it for your phone/tablet

the Switch version is suuuuper cut back and limited compared to iOS/Android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

you should’ve got it for your phone/tablet

the Switch version is suuuuper cut back and limited compared to iOS/Android

Fairly sure it's iOS only, not Android.

Android music software seems to kinda suck still. I was looking for a MIDI sequencer to use my phone to drive the NTS-1, and there doesn't seem to be much. FLStudio for Android doesn't do MIDI out, and it's "low priority" for them as a feature. The best thing I found was some janky free thing that flashes fullscreen ads for online gambling every few minutes.