Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
That man will die or get others killed in another stupid preventable accident after he learned nothing from that is my bold prediction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

US Berder Patrol posted:

What kind of coast guard boat took you all the way to the anti arctic

What do you do for the navy

A big red one. Was best TDY would do again.

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

Here we go

2021-2022 DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY MANDATORY COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY
https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Portals/55/Messages/ALNAV/ALN2021/ALN21062.txt?ver=Vbl_3soAE1K4DhYwqjSGLw%3d%3d

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

What was jetski man trying to accomplish? Just go up and touch the ship?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Jumping the wake waves apparently.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

With the hand lanyarded to the kill switch :lol::lol:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

US Berder Patrol posted:

What kind of coast guard boat took you all the way to the anti arctic

What do you do for the navy

Polar class ice breaker and I have two antarctica service medals (well bronze star in lieu of a second, natch) also I’m a civilian now so I’m civil service. I spent a ton of time in the Caribbean while active duty but that fuckin sucked gtmo and that stupid outdoor theater can eat my whole rear end, along with the entire MA rating.

As far as what I do that’s really hard to sum up fully and completely so let’s call it modernization/avail planning and finance or how I learned to stop worrying and love the nmp-mom

Also I have no answers about anything to do with the contemporary CG (the uniform question, our uniforms were trash all the way up until I left) as I got out in 2013 and only keep in touch with a very small community of people who disrespectfully refer to me as SK1 because they know it bothers me. It sounds like everyone doubled down on being turbo chuds and I’m pretty happy about bailing.

One of my first lessons about the chain of command was in 2002 when I volunteered to go tdy to Bahrain using an automated process and orders got cut without a command endorsement which created some local disturbance. Anyway, that’s bringing it back to the talk about orders which I’ve had some experience on the periphery with PCS in/with the navy with both civil service and active duty and it’s a real nightmare. Coastie readers: DA/peoplesoft/whatever is a billion times better than what USN folks deal with on that front, and transfer season is a way better model than whatever it is the navy is doing lmao

Anyway the most eye opening thing about working for the navy is how much worse every aspect of every thing is than the CG and to really absurd degrees despite basically all the money in the world being available to fix it, the wardroom will still trip on its dick to gently caress it up

So basically anyone that ever has some feeling of regret about joining the USN: you were/are completely correct, and it gets worse the deeper into civil service you get if you stray from a warfare center or Washington Navy Yard. Maybe less true for weird places like SRF or the rare person who scores a 5 year in Sasebo.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

krispykremessuck posted:

Anyway the most eye opening thing about working for the navy is how much worse every aspect of every thing is than the CG and to really absurd degrees despite basically all the money in the world being available to fix it, the wardroom will still trip on its dick to gently caress it up

So basically anyone that ever has some feeling of regret about joining the USN: you were/are completely correct, and it gets worse the deeper into civil service you get if you stray from a warfare center or Washington Navy Yard. Maybe less true for weird places like SRF or the rare person who scores a 5 year in Sasebo.

Preaching to the choir, buddy :haw:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I knew I messed up when I had to sing a drinking song every time I marched into a magic tunnel that makes me want to drink but was told multiple times that drinking bad.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Wibla posted:

Preaching to the choir, buddy :haw:

I know but it was a real eye opener, particularly when it comes to financial stuff and, hilariously, anything logistics.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Jumping the wake waves apparently.

We have people doing that constantly when we take LCS' out on Lake Michigan.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

krispykremessuck posted:

I know but it was a real eye opener, particularly when it comes to financial stuff and, hilariously, anything logistics.

The CG does the work while the Navy fucks around. Just the way it is :smith:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

PneumonicBook posted:

We have people doing that constantly when we take LCS' out on Lake Michigan.

I’ve had someone try that with a kayak in the South Shore Canal.

People are dumb as gently caress, and they will try to go after the ship or its crew when they inevitably get hosed up. Those loving freighters have huge blind spots up close, which shouldn’t be a problem because once something is in that blind spot, it’s too late to do anything about it.

But welp.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
My chief tried to test the engine with the turning gear engaged after telling everyone about the bottle of whiskey he found and then walked out of the engine room before we got 1st bell. When the captain called down for departure I told him I was walking the gently caress off the ship the second the gangway hit the dock, then walked up to the chiefs office and told him the same thing which broke him out of his binge.

He self reported to the company and is getting off for treatment but everyone stopped pretending he is still in charge and now I just answer all the emails and do his noon report.

The budget sheet the captain gave me had the wrong $ per diem for labor cost, I even double checked with both chief and captain before I made sure to spend every dime padding everyone's OT. I'm pretty happy about the hole I put in their budget the, gently caress this poo poo.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 18, 2022

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Every chief I've worked for has made it clear I am NEVER to be under budget. So I made sure I was $50 over, which suddenly turned into some thousands. They can't even fire me cause they don't have anyone to take the job.

The last 2 weeks have been the weirdest I've ever had at sea. My electrician is laid up with ulcers or something as well. Really hoping he's OK, my guys have been pretty awesome.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dorstein posted:

Everyone knows the best episode of Battlestar Galactica is 33.

Everyone except Navy watchbill planners.

My second ship's CO was huge on Battlestar Galactica and always called it "one of the most accurate depictions of carrier life during high optempo." The XO is a raging alcoholic dick. OPS/CSO gets poo poo on constantly. The pilots are arrogant fucksticks. And the CAG is a capable but overall vestigial position which does nothing but sew discontent between the crew and the wing.

And there's always one pilot loving a chief somewhere who is, in turn, likely loving one of their E3s.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

AlternateNu posted:

And there's always one pilot loving a chief somewhere who is, in turn, likely loving one of their E3s.

Quite often you can leave the chief out and go straight O2 on E3 action.

Otherwise that all reflects my experience.

Edit:

Was smoking a cigar with the big XO once when he abruptly stood up and said "someone is probably loving someone they're not supposed to and trying to ruin my career right now, gotta go"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

My second ship's CO was huge on Battlestar Galactica and always called it "one of the most accurate depictions of carrier life during high optempo." The XO is a raging alcoholic dick. OPS/CSO gets poo poo on constantly. The pilots are arrogant fucksticks. And the CAG is a capable but overall vestigial position which does nothing but sew discontent between the crew and the wing.

I spent a couple deployments on a carrier and all of this checks out. Probably why I liked Battlestar Galactica so much.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Geizkragen posted:

Was smoking a cigar with the big XO once when he abruptly stood up and said "someone is probably loving someone they're not supposed to and trying to ruin my career right now, gotta go"

Was he right?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

He might as well have said "someone on board is probably breathing oxygen right now".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wingnut Ninja posted:

He might as well have said "someone on board is probably breathing oxygen right now".

True. What I should've asked was, "did they catch anybody?"

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Last deployment someone found an empty one of those giant protein powder bottles completely filled with used condoms in one of the officer heads. Opinions were fairly split between "obviously some pilot is loving their brains out" and "a clever enlisted person would absolutely dump their incriminating trash in an officer head".

It did lead to some amusing group emails asking hotel services whether used condoms are supposed to be sorted into dunnage instead.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

giant protein powder bottles completely filled with used condoms in one of the officer heads

This reminds me of that scene from band of brothers where the OIC finds hundreds of condoms in one dude's footlocker during an inspection.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

orange juche posted:

This reminds me of that scene from band of brothers where the OIC finds hundreds of condoms in one dude's footlocker during an inspection.

"How will you have any energy left to fight the Germans?!"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Ok weird factoid here but I knew a bunch of dudes who used the giant bucket of free condoms to, uhh, “keep the area clean” when jerking off. Rather than a more traditional method.

So used condoms aren’t really a sign people are having sex. On the other hand keeping used condoms is weird as hell and raises more questions that worry me than anything involving sex.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Usually they just flush them and let the engineers find them in the maceration pumps

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

lightpole posted:

Usually they just flush them and let the engineers find them in the maceration pumps

Yet another reason I'm glad I didn't go Engineering.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Last deployment someone found an empty one of those giant protein powder bottles completely filled with used condoms in one of the officer heads. Opinions were fairly split between "obviously some pilot is loving their brains out" and "a clever enlisted person would absolutely dump their incriminating trash in an officer head".

It did lead to some amusing group emails asking hotel services whether used condoms are supposed to be sorted into dunnage instead.

Used synthetic latex or polypropylene condoms cannot be thrown overboard anywhere under MARPOL V, however natural latex / sheepskin can be thrown out with food, I think.

Of course MARPOL doesn’t apply to military vessels so do whatever.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

FrozenVent posted:

Used synthetic latex or polypropylene condoms cannot be thrown overboard anywhere under MARPOL V, however natural latex / sheepskin can be thrown out with food, I think.

Of course MARPOL doesn’t apply to military vessels so do whatever.

This is now my favorite OOD board question.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://news.usni.org/2021/09/01/5-sailors-missing-after-navy-helicopter-crashes-off-california

It always gets to me when casualties happen from training or normal ops. It is one thing if you're in country or on deployment but just off the coast doing workups just seems different even though it is similar risk

Joke response: As always, helicopters spit in god's face and just try to murder occupants

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Light work.

piL posted:

This is now my favorite OOD board question.

No plastic over the side bruh.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

Is natural latex a plastic?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Neither is. Synthetic latex just has the non biodegradable poo poo in it. Its the reasoning that's important when thinking about marpol.

Edit: I'm having doubts you are correct. Sanitary products dont generally rapidly biodegrade as is ie tampons, and would generally be classified as litter/pollution. Used sanitary products would probably be classified as hazmat.

Marpol generally requires stuff disposed of over the side to be done so in a manner that makes it rapidly biodegrade with size limits according to category. Tossing a 100% cotton tampon over the side would still take it awhile to fall apart and a used condom would still cause environmental damage.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 3, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

lightpole posted:

Light work.

That box link up some out of phase power supplies or something?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

Neither is. Synthetic latex just has the non biodegradable poo poo in it. Its the reasoning that's important when thinking about marpol.

Edit: I'm having doubts you are correct. Sanitary products dont generally rapidly biodegrade as is ie tampons, and would generally be classified as litter/pollution. Used sanitary products would probably be classified as hazmat.

Marpol generally requires stuff disposed of over the side to be done so in a manner that makes it rapidly biodegrade with size limits according to category. Tossing a 100% cotton tampon over the side would still take it awhile to fall apart and a used condom would still cause environmental damage.

You’re kind of right, going by the latest IMO tables (https://wwwcdn.imo.org/localresourc...20Annex%20V.pdf) you can only throw condoms overboard if they do not contain plastics and are considered food or cargo.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

FrozenVent posted:

You can only throw condoms overboard if they do not contain plastics and are considered food...

Does....does that seriously occur often enough to justify the extra clause in the rule?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

SerthVarnee posted:

Does....does that seriously occur often enough to justify the extra clause in the rule?

No the rule just says you can only throw food and cargo residue overboard and only if (amongst other things) they don’t contain plastic.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, the things I saw getting thrown overboard on the George Washington our last underway before RCOH. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Anita Dickinme posted:

Oh man, the things I saw getting thrown overboard on the George Washington our last underway before RCOH. :v:

Float testing contraband is a time honored tradition.