Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A lot of Morrison stuff. Animal Man, Flex Mentallo, and Multiversity spring to mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

Are there any bronze age onwards Spiderman runs worth checking out? I have read the whole Ultimate Spider-Man run and Zdarsky's Spidey stuff. I know the 90s were all clone saga stuff. Are there any collected 80s runs that hold up good?

I liked this trade as a kid
https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Venom-Returns-Marvel-comics/dp/0871359669
if you're reading on Unlimited a review says it includes "The Amazing Spider-Man #'s 332 - 333, 344 - 347, and Annual #25. Annual #25 only contains a segment involving Venom showing sparks of his anti-hero potential, while 344-345 only feature key moments. The rest are complete issues of alien costume and wall crawling madness."

Spider-Man versus Wolverine from 1987 is really good. Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man had some really good runs in it.

For later stuff, the J. Michael Straczynski run is mix of good and bad, but the good is really good. Best stuff about him and Mary Jane being married in a very long time (I think if they'd done the "selling the marriage to Mephisto" thing before Stracyzinski not as many people would have been pissed off about it)

Jason Aaron's Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine is good, as is Spider-Man and the X-Men. Whichever spin-off of War of the Realms had him on it was pretty funny. Spider-Man's Tangled Web was a great book. He features pretty heavily in New Avengers for quite a while and if you dug Ultimate Spider-Man you'd probably dig that, also written by Bendis, contemporaneously with early Ultimate.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Madkal posted:

Are there any bronze age onwards Spiderman runs worth checking out? I have read the whole Ultimate Spider-Man run and Zdarsky's Spidey stuff. I know the 90s were all clone saga stuff. Are there any collected 80s runs that hold up good?

Tom Taylor's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man is great.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Solitair posted:

What are some abstract, off-the-wall comics that push the boundaries of what can be done with the medium? I'm thinking of J.H. Williams' panel layouts and other stuff that can't be done outside of comics.

Mister Invincible is a French BD that is very much something that can only be done in comics. There are English versions of the first couple albums.

http://www.magnetic-press.com/mr-invincible/

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Solitair posted:

What are some abstract, off-the-wall comics that push the boundaries of what can be done with the medium? I'm thinking of J.H. Williams' panel layouts and other stuff that can't be done outside of comics.

Gwenpool does this.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Any good DC stuff recently that involves Darkseid/New Gods? I reread Final Crisis recently and really loved everything to do with Darkseid and the Justice League. Not so much the cosmic vampire stuff.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Mister Miracle by Tom King and Mitch Gerads was pretty dope.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Orc Priest posted:

Any good DC stuff recently that involves Darkseid/New Gods? I reread Final Crisis recently and really loved everything to do with Darkseid and the Justice League. Not so much the cosmic vampire stuff.

The Great Darkness Saga, Cosmic Odyssey, and of course the Kirby Fourth World stuff

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Retro Futurist posted:

The Great Darkness Saga, Cosmic Odyssey, and of course the Kirby Fourth World stuff

Stretching the definition of "recently" a bit with that last one.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Skwirl posted:

Stretching the definition of "recently" a bit with that last one.

I didn't see that but the big new editions just came out so technically it counts :smugbert:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Orc Priest posted:

Uthor posted:

Mister Miracle by Tom King and Mitch Gerads was pretty dope.

Seconding Mister Miracle by King and Gerads. I like Mister Miracle and Barda from their JLI days, but was never as big a fan of Kirby's original series or the Fourth World mythology in general. This series, however, was one of my two favorite things I've read from DC in the past decade. It's really that good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

I didn't see that but the big new editions just came out so technically it counts :smugbert:

"What's a good recent Spider-Man story?
"Have you read Amazing Fantasy #15?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Wish a new edition of the Great Darkness Saga came out!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
How is Something is Killing the Children? Worth reading? Kind of looking for new stuff to check out that isn't a hundred issues in.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Finished Mister Miracle by King. That was great and an unexpected treat I always love stories about characters stuck in limbo/hell.

What series should I check out if I want to get into current DC stuff? Superman, Batman, Flash and the JL are generally my favorites. I got DC Infinite but there's so much stuff on here I don't know where to start.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

How is Something is Killing the Children? Worth reading? Kind of looking for new stuff to check out that isn't a hundred issues in.

Pretty good if you like the "shadowy amoral organization keeping the world safe from supernatural threats" trope, although as the title implies it's not for anyone who has a problem with children being graphically killed by monsters.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Thoughts on Byrne's 4th World run? There's an omnibus and I have low self-control.

Also if you've never read Robinson's Starman, possibly because DC's trade department is historically ridiculously bad, you may now buy a megatome that covers half of it and I think DC might actually release the other half someday.

https://www.instocktrades.com/products/may217162/starman-compendium-1-tp

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Thank you for sharing that! I was able to preorder one (from Amazon ;p) and cancel the hardcover which I ordered a few months ago which showed no indication of being released.

How is Instock Trades for international shipping?

What is the best way to keep track of upcoming physical releases of trades and such without being overwhelmed by all releases?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
If I don't like superhero stuff (including superhero derived stuff), I don't like crime drama, and I'm not really up for something depressing or overly convoluted, what are some good picks to check out? (that aren't just physical print copies of good webcomics, I guess, since I'll probably already know about/own those, hah)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

What do you like?

Random things off my shelves:
Bone
Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck
Love and Rockets
Hellboy
Lumberjanes
Giant Days
The Midas Flesh
Adventure Time: Marceline & The Scream Queens (I don't even like Adventure Time!)

I know you said no superheroes, but seriously Squirrel Girl.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Chew, Sandman, Preacher, Transmetropolitan out of things I've read recently.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Bone was alright and I love Allison's web work so reminding me he has some print only comics I should check out is good.

Hellboy and Squirrel Girl are ultimately still superhero comics and while I know they are good I just couldn't get into them at all when I tried.

I'll look into the other ones you listed and see if any of them catch my eye.

As for stuff I already like, if nothing else I've got some Life is Strange comics coming in that I expect to love. Ive got a big ol collection of Fritz the Cat stuff that is... both enjoyable but also really hosed up. Most of the other stuff Ive liked recently is firmly in the graphic novel bucket - stuff like Habibi - but I'm not looking for that side of things as much here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Persepolis
Emily The Strange
American Born Chinese
March (autobiographical comic by American hero John Lewis, RIP)
Giant Days was already mentioned but Allison also did a few miniseries after that too. Steeple and Wicked Things
The Wicked + The Divine
Y: The Last Man

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
100% by Paul Pope!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Daytripper
Two Brothers
I Kill Giants (warning: you will cry)
Moonshadow

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Zachack posted:

Thoughts on Byrne's 4th World run? There's an omnibus and I have low self-control.

It's poo poo.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
James Roberts's Transformers MtMtE run is pretty much my favorite comic series of all time. There are so many things to love, but in particular, I love how well planned and set up everything is, with something mentioned offhandedly coming up again 5 to 10 issues later. Can anyone think of another series that manages to do this quite as well?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hiro Protagonist posted:

James Roberts's Transformers MtMtE run is pretty much my favorite comic series of all time. There are so many things to love, but in particular, I love how well planned and set up everything is, with something mentioned offhandedly coming up again 5 to 10 issues later. Can anyone think of another series that manages to do this quite as well?

F4/FF or Avengers/New Avengers by Hickman. I don't think his character work is as good as Roberts, though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I haven't read it all, but I like it a lot as well.

For similar dynamics, with large casts of characters interacting, lots of character development, ample comic relief, and the potential to switch gears with no warning and go very dark, I'll recommend Justice League International/Justice League America by Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis and X-Factor by Peter David (his mid-2000s run that really started with Madrox: Multiple Choice). If you want that with a smaller cast, try Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and David Aja.

For worldbuilding details that rival Roberts' MTMTE plus all of the above, definitely James Robinson's Starman.

If you want something that transcends genre, leaping between action and comedy, crime and horror, while setting unique rules and details for its unique status quo, try Chew by John Layman and Rob Guillory.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cobra: The Last Laugh. If neo-noir thriller stories are in your purview, this is one tightly plotted, clever, moving comic. And just thematically that it tackles cartoony retro characters and imagery in a very earnest and timeless way, yet with some dark humor. Being IDW tackling GI Joe, and the crown jewel of their take on it, seems like a nice compliment to some IDW Transformers.

For having a lot of ongoing subplots, clever writing, mentioning a thing and getting back to it way later, Savage Dragon and Judge Dredd (via the Case Files, the John Wagner stuff) have always knocked my socks off. Right now Judge Dredd (in 2000AD and the Judge Dredd Megazine) is sometimes referencing seeds these same writers and artists put down in the 80s for example, the most impressive stuff I've ever read in that regard in comics.

But, as with any big runs, there is some stuff to skip by other writers, and I know it can be a nutty thing with research to get into. And of course other than that plotting continuity aspect, it's very different from Transformers in format. It's mainly a kind of setting for any crazy or intriguing story of life in a messed up future city. Sometimes we get longer stories focusing on Dredd, sometimes we get shorter stories that feel more like a Twilight Zone or pulp short story. It all hangs together. Very worth it.

Also, both Savage Dragon and Judge Dredd have a real time aspect. Especially Savage Dragon. So characters age, people serve prison sentences, stuff happens out in space, you name it, you're likely to see a face from five years ago or something. Lots of payoffs.

Chris Claremont's X-Men run also seems worth note, I'm digging that at the moment. Honorable mention to Invincible as well, I'd put it up there with any recent run. In general, this cool thing you describe almost seems like a prerequisite of a great comic run. Planting seeds and teasing the reader, making us think "drat they're good", keeping us coming back for more.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 3, 2021

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Thanks for the recommendations!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hello BSS, hello thread!

After being recommended Invincible elsewhere and getting 100 episodes it before being utterly disgusted at my (imo) wasted time, here is my hopefully not-too-generic request: Completed graphic novel where the plot/development clearly has direction, if not hashed out beforehand. Clear beginning, middle, end. Capes are fine I guess, but Extended Universe stuff (ie Avengers) unwanted. Superman Red Son, Sandman by Neil Gaiman, Locke & Key, Transmetropolitan are examples in descending order of things I loved and felt had direction.

Hopefully that's not too vague? Can narrow it down if I'm being dumb. Thanks in advance!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Serephina posted:

Hello BSS, hello thread!

After being recommended Invincible elsewhere and getting 100 episodes it before being utterly disgusted at my (imo) wasted time, here is my hopefully not-too-generic request: Completed graphic novel where the plot/development clearly has direction, if not hashed out beforehand. Clear beginning, middle, end. Capes are fine I guess, but Extended Universe stuff (ie Avengers) unwanted. Superman Red Son, Sandman by Neil Gaiman, Locke & Key, Transmetropolitan are examples in descending order of things I loved and felt had direction.

Hopefully that's not too vague? Can narrow it down if I'm being dumb. Thanks in advance!

Starman, written from beginning to end by James Robinson. My favorite series of all time. Everything fits, everything works. It ran from 1994 to 2001, but it has aged very well and feels timeless. It's a look into some of the history and darker corners of the DC Universe, but always stood on its own as a unique series, almost Vertigo-like that way. First and foremost, it's a fantastic coming of age story, but NOT in a "teen hero learns to balance superheroics, school, and a social life" way.

You should also try Y the Last Man, by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra. 60 issues with a clear beginning, middle, and end. The timing would be perfect because the TV series finally debuts on FX on Hulu this week.

EDIT (hours later):
Also Chew, by John Layman and Rob Guillory. 60 issues from the same creative team, telling one big story with a clear beginning, middle, and end, but of course it tells shorter, more self-contained stories along the way. It's an action-crime-horror-sci-fi-comedy-adventure where most characters have some kind of food-related super power, and I love it a lot.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 12, 2021

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

East of West

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Serephina posted:

Hello BSS, hello thread!

James Roberts's run on Transformers More than Meets the Eye/Lost Light has a very detailed plot and setting with clear progression of the story.

There's also Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing, which is divided into three distinct phases, shows the growth of the protagonist, and has a definitive ending. You might also look at Moore's original 12-issue Top Ten series. And then there's Watchmen and his run on Miracleman, of course.

Don Rosa's Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck tells how Scrooge earned his money, starting with him as a boy and going to his familiar older self.

Assassination Classroom is about a group of students whose teacher is a weird monster who says the world will end if they don't kill him by the end of the school year. The series covers the year as the students' assassination skills grow but so does their respect for their teacher, all while the governments of the world plot to eliminate the teacher.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 13, 2021

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Letter 44 is really solid, if you're into sci-fi and political drama. Also a 45th president that's not Trump, lmao.

quote:

On Inauguration Day, newly elected President Stephen Blades hoped to tackle the most critical issues facing the nation: war, the economy, and a failing health care system. But in a letter penned by the outgoing President, Blades learns the truth that redefines "critical": seven years ago, NASA discovered alien presence in the asteroid belt, and kept it a secret from the world. A stealth mission crewed by nine astronauts was sent to make contact, and they're getting close - assuming they survive the long journey to reach their destination.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Action Jacktion posted:

James Roberts's run on Transformers More than Meets the Eye/Lost Light has a very detailed plot and setting with clear progression of the story.

I haven't read everything (missed some volumes in the middle), but I love it and second the recommendation.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Sweet tooth has a clear beginning middle and end. Lot of lemire created owned stuff does as well

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Thank you for the recommendations everyone! We're in lockdown again locally but I'm putting holds on what few things the local library will have when we reopen. Backlogs are a good problem to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Serephina posted:

Thank you for the recommendations everyone! We're in lockdown again locally but I'm putting holds on what few things the local library will have when we reopen. Backlogs are a good problem to have.

Don't forget most libraries will let you request interlibrary loans too, for books they don't have. And many also offer the Hoopla service for free digital downloads of e-books, including thousands of graphic novels from all the major publishers.