Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Hasturtium posted:

I seem to remember that game was very exacting about VESA support for high resolutions, to the point that a lot of contemporary video cards just didn’t play well with it. I don’t know what DOSBOX-X does by default, but you should see if there’s a config that’ll let you guide it down to some baseline video mode (like, say, VGA) just to get it running. After that, maybe see about emulating specific cards to get higher resolutions working.
I figured it out, I was running in TTF mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Negostrike posted:

You can also load Copper in the remaster by dropping its folder in its location and using "game copper" on the console (in the Steam version, that is). I'm not sure if all the gameplay changes are working correctly that way but I believe they do
The mod author released a remaster-compatible update a few days ago, so it should work for the most part:
https://twitter.com/itslunaranyo/status/1430732950090309633

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

all the ID ports on switch are great. the Doom1/2 ones have sooo much stuff in them

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have to say, the Quake 64 version is very interesting in that whoever did the level editing (so far) has done a really good job of chopping out level geometry that most people won't notice, like rooves. So many things above player sightlines are heavily curtailed, like in Gate to Cthon the roof of the area you enter is just...gone entirely. It is responsible I think, for some of the enemy encounter placement I've noticed; In vanilla for instance the trap in that same level only drops 3 skeletons on you because you've already killed two skeletons. On looking up in the level, it seems the sliding floor panel and nook for them has been edited so they have no choice but to already be in the room when you enter.

The places where the N64 rears its head is in the fireballs leaping out of the lava; they're gone entirely and you can't see through grates to rooms below to presumably keep the N64 from just tanking its frame rate. Cthon, due to the lighting changes, looks way cooler in Quake 64

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Stockwell posted:

Unless you're trying to bounce around walls is the rocket generally preferable to the grenade? Any difference in damage output, or is it like a nailgun/SNG situation. It does feel like the rocket has a larger area of effect for splash damage, unless it's my imagination.

Quick tip - rockets do more direct damage to the monster they impact - its guaranteed in the range 100-120 HP instead of the radius damage. Grenades do standard radius damage to the monster they hit, which can be quite a bit less if you hit the very edge of the hitbox - if you aim for the corner an Ogre can barely survive two grenade impacts. Both do the same radius attack - same max damage, same fall-off.

Main advantage to the grenade launcher is it's a faster fire rate - if you're taking out an Ogre it's slightly quicker when you can land two grenades. On that note, the ultimate in efficient Quake monster killing is the old one-two on a knight/enforcer: shoot them once with the single shotgun, then once with the double, in that order. If you land every pellet it's a guaranteed kill, saving a shotgun shell, in minimal time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ArthurianDev/status/1433236382315593730?s=20

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

omg yes

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Trey Anastasio has nothing on these crunchy sounds.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sorry but Witchhaven was never a good game!

:P

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Sorry but Witchhaven was never a good game!

:P

It'll be an easy task to release a better game then.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Zeether posted:

Anyone here use Dosbox-X? I was trying to run Alien Trilogy in it and all I get is a bunch of flashing ASCII garbage instead of the title screen.

I never got the PC version to run well, even back in 1997! PSX version through an emulator is probably your best bet as I don't think the PC version had any real advantages.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
I don't know if I made any specific settings or anything but I got AT running thru regular dosbox (albeit without music). The only issue I had was that the mouselook for that game is really odd in that moving the mouse up/down moves you forward/back rather than looking up or down.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I can't believe how good this loving looks and sounds. :black101:

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

haha gently caress that looks incredible

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Holy CRAP. As a minimally ashamed Witchaven fan, this looks great!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i'm buying a steam deck just so i can play all these old FPS games in bed :cheers:

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

man, ep 4 in quake is kinda... disappointing. feels like a D&D game where the GM wants to "win" rather than create something fun and memorable.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Episode 4 is best experienced in co-op so you can witness your friends get hosed over by all the bullshit as opposed to yourself.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Barudak posted:

I have to say, the Quake 64 version is very interesting in that whoever did the level editing (so far) has done a really good job of chopping out level geometry that most people won't notice, like rooves. So many things above player sightlines are heavily curtailed, like in Gate to Cthon the roof of the area you enter is just...gone entirely. It is responsible I think, for some of the enemy encounter placement I've noticed; In vanilla for instance the trap in that same level only drops 3 skeletons on you because you've already killed two skeletons. On looking up in the level, it seems the sliding floor panel and nook for them has been edited so they have no choice but to already be in the room when you enter.

The places where the N64 rears its head is in the fireballs leaping out of the lava; they're gone entirely and you can't see through grates to rooms below to presumably keep the N64 from just tanking its frame rate. Cthon, due to the lighting changes, looks way cooler in Quake 64

i've really been enjoying bouncing back and forth between regular quake and quake 64, playing the original version of a level then playing the 64 version to compare. some of them are more different than i would have expected and it's interesting to see how the different level geometry changes how i approach encounters

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Weedle posted:

i've really been enjoying bouncing back and forth between regular quake and quake 64, playing the original version of a level then playing the 64 version to compare. some of them are more different than i would have expected and it's interesting to see how the different level geometry changes how i approach encounters

Its been really interesting because its trying its absolute damndest to be faithful so where it swerves is interesting because thats where they hit something they couldn't work around. Like apparently just deciding Grotto was a bad map and not worth keeping.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Actually, I saw that the Nintendo shop has a “Doom Slayers Collection” which includes the following:
I don't get why they have the Collection when the titles are also individually listed, but I guess they have the collection on other platforms too and there's no (or not an obvious?) way to do bundles on the eShop.

Anyways DOOM I/II/3/64 regularly go on sale for $2.49/$4.99 so you can pick them all up for $12.50 the next time they go on sale.

DOOM (2016) is the expensive one, it's only gone on sale less than $29.99 once. If you really want that maybe get a physical copy used or something.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I got AT working out well but yeah, the PC port is rear end. Runs terrible even at max cycles and the mouse lookspring can't be disabled.

The AVP games are more fun anyway. Sucks we can't get AVP2 on any digital storefronts though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Zeether posted:

I got AT working out well but yeah, the PC port is rear end. Runs terrible even at max cycles and the mouse lookspring can't be disabled.

The AVP games are more fun anyway. Sucks we can't get AVP2 on any digital storefronts though.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=53960.0

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

Episode 4 is best experienced in co-op so you can witness your friends get hosed over by all the bullshit as opposed to yourself.

That's really cruel... :getin:

Holy poo poo, I wasn't looking for this but this is great. Thank you!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkNu8j3EcXQ

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
After ultrakill I really can't go back to merely overkilling things

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Turok the Serious Hunter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Bl56W7loU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

It's by the guy who made Total Chaos so this is quite a departure.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Will this package work without a bunch of fiddling around? Just curious.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Oh yeah, I was aware of this, just wasn't sure if it was a good idea to link it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Klaus88 posted:

Will this package work without a bunch of fiddling around? Just curious.

Uhhh you know tbh it's been awhile since I've had to use it, I think the exe installer was relatively straightforward?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

site posted:

Uhhh you know tbh it's been awhile since I've had to use it, I think the exe installer was relatively straightforward?

Your honest and forthright answer is appreciated.

Its just that sometimes retro games can be finicky and unstable on a modern OS and I was probably overly cautious.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
looking at the end of that thread i guess there are a couple extra things to install that aren't mentioned in the op. sorry

couple posts down on this page
https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=53960.285

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

site posted:

looking at the end of that thread i guess there are a couple extra things to install that aren't mentioned in the op. sorry

I don't see how its your fault that vital OP worthy information was not included in the OP.

Thanks for pointing this out anyway.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

hmmm. i've confirmed that i have freesync turned on with both my monitor and video card. i'm running an older RX580 - i wonder if it's some kind of driver issue?

the game def runs at or above 120 fps on my laptop--where it looks smooth as butter.

e: yeah, some guy on the steam forums is having the same problem as me re: frames. Here's a video he took that shows the problem in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvZwPfFEDVw

I think this has to do with the engine running at 60hz, hope they can fix it. At high framerates with textures this crispy I can definitely tell when it's jittering behind

https://streamable.com/tne4zc

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 3, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What’s everyone’s favorite Q1 deathmatch map?

I think I like The Dark Zone most.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 3, 2021

koren
Sep 7, 2003

aerowalk

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I was always partial to DM6, and oddly enough Q3DM6 was one of my favorites as well

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

site posted:

Saving this link for later, cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Playing through all of the Quake content that was packed into the enhanced version has got me geared up to play some more non-Doom 90s shooters. What's the 'right' difficulty for Heretic? The "UV" equivalent, I suppose, in terms of difficulty. I am not sure they translate exactly..

And if there are serious issues with Heretic as far as enemies being bullet sponges, or other things that might be an issue, please let me know! I want to go through all 5 episodes. Thanks.