Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Its kind of narrow atm. Its kind of a sliver bullet to storm but not getting there against much else. I don't think its good enough to not use a more flexible sideboard card like RIP, which is going to be decent against storm but great in other matchups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You also have "rule of law" effects that are much more general (eg they stop combos like Cascade and Tibalt's Trickery) for just 1 mana more. I guess I can't think of another mono-red counter to storm in Historic but I do think it's much too narrow to see play, even if you're really worried about Grapeshot decks there are probably more widely applicable cards that help in those matchups.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Aranan posted:

At this point I don't think I'd be surprised if that was the case. I do like the scratch-off idea, though.

How long til we get scratch-n-sniff cards?
Werewolves are back, now with genuine wet dog smell!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

fadam posted:

I feel like if this did sliiightly more damage it'd be an interesting piece of tech in some formats.

Can dig. Minor damage, but it's a slight incentive not to trigger Daytime which could be nice in the late game. Werewolves play kind of aggressively, so that work well maybe?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The World Inferno posted:

Can dig. Minor damage, but it's a slight incentive not to trigger Daytime which could be nice in the late game. Werewolves play kind of aggressively, so that work well maybe?

this card is stone unplayable in limited which is probably the only format where you'll have multiple transforming werewolves

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Hilariously its a hard counter against whatever magecraft decks are Standard, none of which I think rise to tier 1 anyway

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Pretty Deece is back! It's making the case that Eldraine-era Standard is the most broken Magic has ever been. Worse than Mirrodin, worse than Urza block, worse than anything.

It's extremely good and I missed it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Even at 2 damage it effectively stops Storm decks going off because it pings them as they build storm and then fries them if they actually cast a storm spell. I don’t think that necessarily means it’s playable as a sideboard card versus storm but it does actually stop storm from winning.

Fair enough, but not being able to surprise storm players with it (which I think would be the case even it it had flash tbqh) limits its usefulness too much I think. Hitting the copies is cool, but I think maybe the card gives them too much room to play around it.

Cool effect, but you're never ever going to untap with this in Standard, and even if you do there's a good chance she won't even trigger. Probably fun in lower power EDH decks. I also really like these B&W arts.

fadam fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 3, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Froghammer posted:

Pretty Deece is back! It's making the case that Eldraine-era Standard is the most broken Magic has ever been. Worse than Mirrodin, worse than Urza block, worse than anything.

I love pretty deece and since long covid means all i'm good for is lying in bed watching youtubes this is great

e: also it looks like good mtg youtube jon has taken some tips from good sports youtube jon, this is laid out like a dorktown

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Rule of Law doesn't stop the Sedgemoor Witch based decks, which this exterminates with a vengeance.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Sickening posted:

Its kind of narrow atm. Its kind of a sliver bullet to storm but not getting there against much else. I don't think its good enough to not use a more flexible sideboard card like RIP, which is going to be decent against storm but great in other matchups.

Idgi, isn't this exactly like all the other storm hate that didn't see much play, because storm just bounces it before going off? Is there some aspect I'm missing makes this one good, if we don't want to play it elsewhere?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

!Klams posted:

Idgi, isn't this exactly like all the other storm hate that didn't see much play, because storm just bounces it before going off? Is there some aspect I'm missing makes this one good, if we don't want to play it elsewhere?

Yes, it is. But it also just gives an option in red where it might not have existed before.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

fadam posted:

Fair enough, but not being able to surprise storm players with it (which I think would be the case even it it had flash tbqh) limits its usefulness too much I think. Hitting the copies is cool, but I think maybe the card gives them too much room to play around it.

Cool effect, but you're never ever going to untap with this in Standard, and even if you do there's a good chance she won't even trigger. Probably fun in lower power EDH decks. I also really like these B&W arts.

This set loving owns so much so far, art and flavorwise. Gisa is just yukkin' it up and i love it

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Froghammer posted:

Going to watch this later, but considering Eldraine as a single set had as many banned cards from standard as the entirely of Urza’s block did *put together*, and that for all the game breaking absurdity that has happened over the years, Companions were such a misstep that one of them had to be banned from Vintage and the entire mechanic had to get nerfed with power level errata to avoid it completely annihilating every eternal format…

Yeah that’s a pretty good argument. Omnath ramp in particular is one of, if not the only, instances of a deck so ridiculously overpowered compared to the rest of the field that there was zero decks that stood a chance outside of the mirror, even one built solely to break the matchup and collapse against everything else.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Froghammer posted:

The fresh wound always seems more painful than an old one. Eldraine was a problematic set, but the worst ever? That sounds like a content creator taking advantage of the zeitgeist with hyperbole.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Silhouette posted:

This set loving owns so much so far, art and flavorwise. Gisa is just yukkin' it up and i love it

Yeah it's really cool. I'm gonna buy a bunch of each of the B&W basics for my commander decks.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Having only gotten back into MTG last month with Arena, I do not care for Eldraine and I'll be happy to see it rotate out

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I hadn't played since Onslaught block in high school and it was kind of overwhelming to get back in but I'm kind of obsessed now lol.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

this card is stone unplayable in limited which is probably the only format where you'll have multiple transforming werewolves

Ah, sir you have me mistaken for someone who cares about formats and winning.

Froghammer posted:

This seems good, but I hope he credits Jon Bois (Pretty Good) somewhere directly given the whole presentation style is a direct copy. The name is clearly a wink and nod, but that's not attribution.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/tangles-2021-09-03

New web fiction on the mothership dropping hints that Dominaria United is about returning Zhalfir from being phased out of time.

It’s also got Deep Lore about how Wrenn and X works.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dominaria United and Brothers War being back to back kinda hints at Urza coming back, maybe it'll have a surprise third set with the resurrection of Yawgmoth by the new phyrexians or something, like how GRN/RNA/WAR was an unofficial three set block.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Klowner posted:

The fresh wound always seems more painful than an old one. Eldraine was a problematic set, but the worst ever? That sounds like a content creator taking advantage of the zeitgeist with hyperbole.

I don't think there is any question that time period was a really bad time for standard, balance wise.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The World Inferno posted:

This seems good, but I hope he credits Jon Bois (Pretty Good) somewhere directly given the whole presentation style is a direct copy. The name is clearly a wink and nod, but that's not attribution.

To be fair, the previous parts of Pretty Deece didn't follow the Jon Bois signature presentation. One of them is Jon Corpora just walking you through how Masques block felt as a new player and then showing you his goofy Ascendant Evincar/mercenaries Commander deck.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I hadn't played since Onslaught block in high school and it was kind of overwhelming to get back in but I'm kind of obsessed now lol.

wb king

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

That's all well and good, but at least in that video it's cribbing so much from Bois that it rubs the wrong way not to acknowledge it in some form. Heck, he's even got the smooth jazz bed music.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Does the enchantment at least slow down Soul Sisters? It makes Righteous Valkyrie’s threshold harder to get to

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

The Klowner posted:

He gets into it a little bit, but the bottom line is the sheer number of decks that were so comically unbeatable that they had to get banned out of Standard is higher than any other era of Standard. Temur Energy had to get banned out of Kaladesh, Affinity had to get banned out of Mirrodin, and all sorts of combo decks that hinged on Tolarian Academy and company had to get banned out of Urza's.

Eldraine-era Standard had to ban out Golos Ramp (Field of the Dead), Simic Midrange (Oko, Once Upon A Time), Bant Control (T3feri, Growth Spiral, Wilderness Reclaimation), Simic Midrange again (Uro), and Omnath Ramp (Omnath, Lucky Clover, Escape to the Wilds). WotC was playing whack-a-mole with balance patches for all of 2020. Any time something so strong no counterplay was feasible rose out of Standard, they brought out the banhammer only for something else to take its place two months later. All the tier 2 decks hinged on Eldraine cards and have remained largely unchanged since that set dropped. And what was WotC's takeaway? Eldraine was a huge hit. They were selling packs hand over fist. We're almost certainly going to come back.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This set looks really fun from the rares to the commons.

So glad Eldraine is going.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Eldraine has good cards but awful flavour. Hopefully Innistrad will keep the power level high after rotation.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Froghammer posted:

Eldraine was a huge hit. They were selling packs hand over fist. We're almost certainly going to come back.

So? Outrageous card power does not necessarily follow sets.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Panderfringe posted:

no but it does get cards sold and that's what wotc looks at most, let's be honest

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Woah, etb vs cast is a little different but 2 mana glimpse of nature with flashback seems very strong not even counting the enchantment part. Dont think that half matters for standard, but wow what a card.

e - etb means it works with reanimation and warp world style effects. :drat:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The Klowner posted:

what parts of the video did you disagree with?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

wb king

Ty :)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bugsy posted:

Woah, etb vs cast is a little different but 2 mana glimpse of nature with flashback seems very strong not even counting the enchantment part. Dont think that half matters for standard, but wow what a card.

Time to draw your entire deck with Scurry Oak

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Panderfringe posted:

MaRo has gone on record saying that WotC considers Eldraine to have been a success because it sold well

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

Hilariously its a hard counter against whatever magecraft decks are Standard, none of which I think rise to tier 1 anyway

I'd guess it's here just in case magecraft turned out to be horribly overpowered and need a counter

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Bugsy posted:

Also tokens :toot:

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'd guess it's here just in case magecraft turned out to be horribly overpowered and need a counter
I've actually been cruising U/B Magecraft to what's probably going to be low Diamond by the end of the season and I can assure you that the deck absolutely will not survive rotation. Show of Confidence is cool and all, but it'll whither on the vine without Opt, Defiant Strike, and Of One Mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Froghammer posted:

MaRo has gone on record saying that WotC considers Eldraine to have been a success because it sold well

As the video also points out though, they've powered down since then, so they know there was a problem even if Maro's understandably going to focus on the company (bottom) line.

Personally, I don't really think there's that much left to do with Eldraine. Like yeah I'm sure they can dig up more fables to include, and more King Arthur stuff (and those two themes never really meshed in the first place imo), but I think a lot of the appeal of the plane was novelty and a retread won't be received as positively. There are a bunch of planes I'd rather revisit.