Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
crush car culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i love boxy cars and trucks

so sick

im going to drive my wrx around nordschleife in AC and you cant stop me

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

do normal pickup trucks even exist anymore or are they all these tank-sized monstrosities now

apparently people who actually need them for work just buy used pickups from the 90s because they're way more utilitarian than the monstrous tanks american car companies have been churning out since 9/11

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

imagine if we used billions of horses to get around every day and instead of emitting an odourless gas they just poo poo literally kilograms of waste onto the ground daily lmao

anytime you read an old historical source that talks about the problem of "mud" or "muck" or the like in 19th-century cities, 9 times out of 10 they're just being euphemistic about everyone walking through ankle-deep horseshit everywhere they go

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Lastgirl posted:

crush car culture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW7Dk4z2oiQ

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

vyelkin posted:

big fan of the circle lines but when I was in Moscow I could walk most places I needed to get to on a daily basis

i like the really long escalators but the ones in petersburg are even longer and therefore better

i also think the beautiful architecture and attention to aesthetics in the older stations serves an important symbolic and psychological purpose which is to make people think of public transit as a high-value good rather than something dirty and cheap that only poor people should use

lost points for admitting to not taking a train when you could've taken a train, but gained points for mentioning the architecture as it is employed as social conditioning, welcome to the club and please do not gently caress the trains

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

https://i.imgur.com/1ozhBFT.mp4

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

hmmm, okay you get a provisional membership, we'll upgrade you to full once you report back on your favorite aspect of the Moscow subway system

I am legitimately excited upcoming large circle line in Moscow. By allowing you to anything close to the city center, it going to allow you to live anywhere in the city by making "longitudal" commuting much more possible. Also, the expansion of metro lines outside of MKAD and the Central Diameters system (sort of S-bahn-esque system) has made even the relative fringes of the city to be pretty accessible to rapid transit.

Biking is also getting better in Moscow. I wouldn't call it a "bike city" at this point, but the large number of parks and quieter residential streets helps a lot along with improvements on major boulevards.

A criticism of the Soviets, they honestly went in on huge boulevards in the 1960s/1970s in Moscow but in the last 5-6 years the city really seems to be recovering from it in some aspects.

------------------------------------

The US if anything is uniquely bad. Santiago has a better system than almost any US city at this point.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 20:25 on Sep 3, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

paul_soccer12 posted:

i love boxy cars and trucks

so sick

im going to drive my wrx around nordschleife in AC and you cant stop me

pls take the cool cars to ai where they will not harm the posters itt, thanks

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

trains are cool right up to the point someone gets stabbed and then the Belgians get involved

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
No train ever stabbed someone, they are without sin

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

no train conductor ever called me pedestrian

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1433872916689600514

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

vyelkin posted:

apparently people who actually need them for work just buy used pickups from the 90s because they're way more utilitarian than the monstrous tanks american car companies have been churning out since 9/11

yeah it rules that 90s trucks can still be insanely expensive on the secondary market because they are in high demand from people who need them for work

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a truck carrying a wind turbine blade, should also be f tier on this list of how cool it would be to see various trucks getting blasted by trains

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

lobster shirt posted:

keeps the truck and its occupants safe while offroading, if you hit a tree or a gigantic animal, stuff like that. which is why they shouldnt be street legal! if you want to drive through the woods on your ranch then fine, have fun with your bull bar. you should absolutely not be able to have it on public roads.

when i was at the grocery store today (i live in the urban core of houston lol so not rural or even suburban) and i walked by this fuckin f150 with a bull bar that was like extending outwards about six inches and coming to almost a point. like the driver wanted to spear pedestrians or something. totally insane. usa bad country.

i live in a city (Little Rock) and i've seen deer running across streets on one of the roads right in front of my apartment. i'm like, 2 miles from downtown and wouldn't consider where I live to even be suburbs. deer are a serious problem around here esp on the highways in/out of the city in the fall/spring.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

a truck carrying a wind turbine blade, should also be f tier on this list of how cool it would be to see various trucks getting blasted by trains

that blade was probably evil, and the just and loving God that gave us trains is ensuring it cannot be put into a position of power

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

D tier can definitely shoot up to B tier or higher depending on the load

imagine a blank trailer exploding and when it had several boxes of like confetti and party equipment and you see sparkling debris shooting up into the air around the train. lol.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Minrad posted:

i live in a city (Little Rock) and i've seen deer running across streets on one of the roads right in front of my apartment. i'm like, 2 miles from downtown and wouldn't consider where I live to even be suburbs. deer are a serious problem around here esp on the highways in/out of the city in the fall/spring.

there's a whole shitload of deer where I live and they range right up to the city center and if the sedans are somehow miraculously able to not hit them, so can the trucks. The only reason to use that as an excuse for a murder bar is if they specifically want to hit a deer

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Minrad posted:

Drive slower to not hit them fool. Mods?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

there's a whole shitload of deer where I live and they range right up to the city center and if the sedans are somehow miraculously able to not hit them, so can the trucks. The only reason to use that as an excuse for a murder bar is if they specifically want to hit a deer

eh i drive pretty reasonably and i've had close calls with deers and i know people who have had vehicles totaled from them. its def dumb as hell but not any moreso than driving a giant vehicle in the first place. if you have to drive at night at all (and i work third shift, i know from personal experience) its just a total dice roll if some idiot animal isnt gonna come charging out of a bush

lobster shirt posted:

yeah it rules that 90s trucks can still be insanely expensive on the secondary market because they are in high demand from people who need them for work

yeah i have an ancient 2002 ford ranger just going past 200k miles and it's still like a few thousand on the used market because small trucks with >20 mpg don't exist anymore lol

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Minrad posted:

imagine a blank trailer exploding and when it had several boxes of like confetti and party equipment and you see sparkling debris shooting up into the air around the train. lol.

When I was younger I used to work for a state environmental agency and we had someone whose job was basically getting called out to tractor-trailer accidents because turns out, even if they're carrying benign cargo, their fuel tanks are massive and when they leak it tends to be...bad.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/how-i-built-a-fetish-empire-of-car-stuck-girls

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

docbeard posted:

What if trains, but unconnected, and instead of tracks you can just make them go anywhere you want on simple paved paths, or "roads"?

sounds like poo poo op

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

honestly, respect o7

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Minrad posted:

Like fireworks

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

blowing up to international prominence by winning a Webby in 2004

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
cars are so bad that pedestrians are called the r-word couched as "jaywalker"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

paul_soccer12 posted:

i like the part where he disregards traffic and forces cars to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting him as he speeds through a crosswalk with no right of way

the car defender has logged on

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

paul_soccer12 posted:

i like the part where he disregards traffic and forces cars to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting him as he speeds through a crosswalk with no right of way

Unironically this. Those cars have no business being there, and aggressive fixed gear cycling in traffic is loving amazing. The shitheads in cars are going to try to kill you even if you’re a model cyclist, so gently caress ‘em.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/ovGgiik.mp4

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Loucks posted:

Unironically this. Those cars have no business being there, and aggressive fixed gear cycling in traffic is loving amazing. The shitheads in cars are going to try to kill you even if you’re a model cyclist, so gently caress ‘em.

lol ok

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lmao

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Deer populations wouldn’t be so bad if we reintroduced wolves. And wolves wouldn’t be a problem if we didn’t live in sprawl enabled by car culture.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

there's only one solution: we need to unite the deer and the cars through a system of intermarriage

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i get to be a reverend mother

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
cyclists are just an extension of car culture because you'd have to be a huge preening self absorbed dick to dress like that and then decide to fight cars, dog walkers, skaters and strollers

its bougie poo poo for white boomers as another conduit for grievance

bike theft is praxis because its temp transpo for wherever you need to be without making it your whole identity in the void of consumerism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/2aBvmbN.mp4