Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Having bought the art book, I can now personally confirm that yes, Finn is indeed canonically 20 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
:rip: Finn

Also I guess we’re fighting a bathtub next, because Angela actually found a good solution to the “Abnormalities” can’t die problem but apparently we need to beat it up to get more librarians?

is it a bad sign that the first Abnormality we’re dealing with, on Keter to boot, is the representation of Carmen’s suicide in a bathtub?

PinkDawn
Aug 22, 2021

Theantero posted:

Having bought the art book, I can now personally confirm that yes, Finn is indeed canonically 20 years old.

Pretty sure the fandom will proceed to ignore this fact.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

PinkDawn posted:

Pretty sure the fandom will proceed to ignore this fact.

Theantero posted:

I don't have it at hand, but I think the official art book actually lists Finn as like, in his early twenties or something.

We all ignore this because it's obviously wrong :v:

I am aware :v:

the Orb of Zot posted:

Also I guess we’re fighting a bathtub next, because Angela actually found a good solution to the “Abnormalities” can’t die problem but apparently we need to beat it up to get more librarians?

The way she describes the system in the scene feels less like 'imprisonment' and more like 'life support', imo.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

the Orb of Zot posted:

is it a bad sign that the first Abnormality we’re dealing with, on Keter to boot, is the representation of Carmen’s suicide in a bathtub?

It does seem appropriate considering that it represents the beggining of Lobo Corp even before it was officially recognized as such and the creation of Angela.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Theantero posted:

More or less, yes. I feel the need to note that due to the Korean way of determining age Finn is basically either 18 or 19 years old to westerners, but regardless of how you slice it he's no kid.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

TeeQueue posted:

More or less, yes. I feel the need to note that due to the Korean way of determining age Finn is basically either 18 or 19 years old to westerners, but regardless of how you slice it he's no kid.
Finn forged his papers and lied about his age to get drafted become a Fixer, and nothing can convince me otherwise. Wait until his page story gets posted and say if he is not behaving as typical shounen protagonist here.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
He could be part of some long running experiment to see just how long can somebody be so idealistic in the setting.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Theantero posted:

The way she describes the system in the scene feels less like 'imprisonment' and more like 'life support', imo.

Now I’m imagining Big Bird on a ventilator with Judgment Bird and Punishing Bird in total disarray over the matter unable to comprehend the matter or what they’ll do after he passes on. Or they just merge into the Apocalypse Bird and the entire hospital is ruined in short order. One of the two.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Hunt11 posted:

He could be part of some long running experiment to see just how long can somebody be so idealistic in the setting.

Turns out it's "until your very early death." As Roland said, the City (and to a greater extent, this setting) is no place for a kid like him.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

the Orb of Zot posted:

Now I’m imagining Big Bird on a ventilator with Judgment Bird and Punishing Bird in total disarray over the matter unable to comprehend the matter or what they’ll do after he passes on. Or they just merge into the Apocalypse Bird and the entire hospital is ruined in short order. One of the two.

I hate this and I hate you for inspiring me to spend a few minutes in MS Paint.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
FINN
IS
DEAD
:rip:

I made something for the occasion, may he rest in peace.
The lesser evil is still a bit evil.

MetaMeme fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 3, 2021

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

MetaMeme posted:

FINN
IS
DEAD
:rip:

I made something for the occasion, may he rest in peace.
The lesser evil is still a bit evil.

Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
EDIT: post removed for failing to meet its own poster's standards

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 4, 2021

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The important thing is that he tried, and that maybe his cards are good.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Solitair posted:

Somehow, on my first playthrough, I was able to beat the next fight in the story without doing the abnormality battle first. I don't even remember it being that hard, but it's been a while. Then I restarted my save for no reason and did it the other way, figuring I should beat abnormalities as soon as they're available. It's more fun for the LP, too.

Same, and I think I even did the next couple fights too, although it took a lot of tries. This was before the tutorial, so I didn't realize that you needed to click on the red exclamation mark itself.

MiiNiPaa posted:

Game balance regards defensive dice and defencive power-ups as less valuable, than offencive, since you are not bringing enemies closer to death with them. If we take only roll values and status bonuses, it is a solid 3-cost. Even if we do apply value reduction to the defensive dice value it still well above 2-cost. A good defensive page, if you want to build a tank.

The thing with Ruina though, is that even purely defensive dice can still stagger someone, which makes them extremely easy to finish off. Although uh, it's extremely easy to go through like two thirds of the game without knowing how to deflect properly.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Wait so our goal here is to raise the "Hazard Level" of the library and be seen as a threat to the city? We want to piss off the Powers That Be?

Uh, Angela? Remember Binah? An Arbiter? And what they can do? You know there's more of those around right? And one will show up eventually if you keep this up? I hope for your sake you have a plan there beyond sending Roland to get hyper-murdered by an Arbiter using Singularities because if not I'll have to strongly doubt that "bestest AI" claim.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Wait so our goal here is to raise the "Hazard Level" of the library and be seen as a threat to the city? We want to piss off the Powers That Be?

Uh, Angela? Remember Binah? An Arbiter? And what they can do? You know there's more of those around right? And one will show up eventually if you keep this up? I hope for your sake you have a plan there beyond sending Roland to get hyper-murdered by an Arbiter using Singularities because if not I'll have to strongly doubt that "bestest AI" claim.

The plan amounts to "slowly get noticed by more and more powerful opponents, turn them into books that can be burned to make our library stronger, and keep this up until either the perfect book is found or there are no more guests to invite". Also while her advice on Abnormality fight benefits is vague she does state (with some interpretative effort) that 1. we get new librarians/fighters out of them and 2. the Abnormalities will help us after we beat them somehow which absolutely will mean that it's not implausible to work our way up to fighting Arbiters and whatnot.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

I don't think Angela wants to piss off the Head, but rather recognizes that her goal will piss off the Head. Also, the fact that there are "Hazard Levels", plural rather than a binary "is or isn't a threat", generally suggests the City's response will be measured accordingly. Ideally Roland will be capable of handling an Arbiter by the time one of those show up.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The Head will be a pretty great novel in General Works I bet

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

Theantero posted:

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

NullBlack posted:

I don't think Angela wants to piss off the Head, but rather recognizes that her goal will piss off the Head. Also, the fact that there are "Hazard Levels", plural rather than a binary "is or isn't a threat", generally suggests the City's response will be measured accordingly. Ideally Roland will be capable of handling an Arbiter by the time one of those show up.

Angela's entire existence is something that pisses off the Head, she's not supposed to exist from their perspective, and that was when she was trapped doing A's dirty work. It's not really a question of if the Head notices, but when, and sitting around doing nothing doesn't fix that. Whatever you can do will probably make them notice you faster, but that can be planned around. So presumably whatever Angela's got up her sleeve can either A) Deal with an Arbiter or B) will happen fast enough it doesn't have to.

Either option is frankly terrifying, admittedly.

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

I actually have been wondering something. Roland is a video game protagonist of a certain type. The washed-up-loser type. And those types tend to go a certain way with their characters. Like the washed up old gunsmith from Trigun, or the myriad “I’m nobody” characters that turn out to he crazy badass through basically almost every anime ever. Is Roland a washed up fixer that is Grade 9, or is he Grade 9 because he washed up? He managed to get into the library without being invited, and considering how easy it is for him to murder other Grade 9 fixers, and now is about to fight a drat abnormality, I am starting to have some doubts about our old buddy Roland and how he’s represented himself.

Sure, Angela gave him new limbs that are apparently turbocharged, but he sure seems to know how to use them. Edit: hell, he seemed pretty drat confident he could take two-on-one of the same grade as him.

Mecha_Face fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 3, 2021

Winterdragon2004
Mar 28, 2021

I'll hear that wonderous sound again, even if it has to be from my own two hands

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

2. the Abnormalities will help us after we beat them somehow which absolutely will mean that it's not implausible to work our way up to fighting Arbiters and whatnot.

The Head: We have an Army!
Angela: we have a Bird
distant screeching in the background

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:stwoon::golfclap:

Mr. Stizblee
Aug 24, 2021
Oh boy, abnormality battles! My least favorite part of the game!

I'll get into that more when we actually get to see what they entail.

Mecha_Face posted:

Sure, Angela gave him new limbs that are apparently turbocharged, but he sure seems to know how to use them. Edit: hell, he seemed pretty drat confident he could take two-on-one of the same grade as him.

Worth noting that all the mentions of turbocharged limbs have been in Teequeue's text and not from the actual game.

Mr. Stizblee fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 3, 2021

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009

Mecha_Face posted:

I actually have been wondering something. Roland is a video game protagonist of a certain type. The washed-up-loser type. And those types tend to go a certain way with their characters. Like the washed up old gunsmith from Trigun, or the myriad “I’m nobody” characters that turn out to he crazy badass through basically almost every anime ever. Is Roland a washed up fixer that is Grade 9, or is he Grade 9 because he washed up? He managed to get into the library without being invited, and considering how easy it is for him to murder other Grade 9 fixers, and now is about to fight a drat abnormality, I am starting to have some doubts about our old buddy Roland and how he’s represented himself.

TeeQueue posted:

Can’t believe this is how she handled it…

What the hell happened? What’s with all this smoke?

Sigh… Guess I’ll have to trust her…

He's definitely hasn't told us everything yet.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

I think the most important part of the "just a washed-out grade 9 fixer" story that doesn't hold up is the name he drops at the beginning: The Purple Tear.
Considering who else we know with a name that follows "The [Colour] [Noun]", I would be highly skeptical of anyone who's able to call in a favour from someone on that level that's either
A): Good enough at deception to fool Angela, Bestest Head Librarian,
or B): hosed up hard enough to be demoted from said influence all the way down to grade 9.

What kind of incident would be enough to do that?

MetaMeme fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 3, 2021

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Judging from this hellhole of a City, probably a typo on the taxes.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MetaMeme posted:

The White Nights and Dork Days, for one… :v:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

MetaMeme posted:

Spilled red wine on the Head’s brand new white couch.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

The Lord of Hats posted:

Spilled red wine on the Head’s brand new white couch.

So that's where punishing bird's design comes from...

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

He's Grade 7, people. Don't diss Roland

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

the Orb of Zot posted:

Judging from this hellhole of a City, probably a typo on the taxes.

Got caught pirating H(ollywood) Corp's latest blockbuster film.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

NHO posted:

He's Grade 7, people. Don't diss Roland

TeeQueue posted:

I’m just a washed-up Grade 9 Fixer, though…

Also, he doesn't need help self-dissing.

TeeQueue posted:

Hmm… I might have just roasted myself here.

Yggdrasi
Jan 23, 2020
I wonder how ranking up as a fixer works? Like do you take a test? Is it dependant on how many problems you solve? Whats the difference between and rank 9 and 8 fixer?

PinkDawn
Aug 22, 2021
Considering the background I gave one of my own nuggets has her as a 17-yr-old who lied and said she was 21 on her application form to LobCorp, I could totally believe that Finn is younger than stated, honestly.

Also, I see that in the absence of new evidence for the Angela discourse... we've moved onto Roland discourse. Although I'm not sure this is exactly discourse because most people seem to more-or-less agree that he's lying somewhere or other in his story.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

NullBlack posted:

Ideally Roland will be capable of handling an Arbiter by the time one of those show up.
Who needs Roland with our true secret weapon?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yggdrasi posted:

I wonder how ranking up as a fixer works? Like do you take a test? Is it dependant on how many problems you solve? Whats the difference between and rank 9 and 8 fixer?

Maybe it's a matter of who you work for? Yun's office wasn't exactly extravagant - perhaps the office itself is grade 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Yggdrasi posted:

One of the Wing's Singularities is an infinite comment section where omniscient beings have unending arguments about people's power levels. By using T-corp technology to analyze these discussions, the City is able to give every Fixer a rough Grade.