Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Awesome info

Thanks! Great stuff here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

- vinyl paints for dummies -

Anyway, good luck!

Thank you for all this info. Really makes me lean towards just trying less than ideal paints because all I really want to do is add some more contrast and make some textures pop. One maybe dumb question, do the vinyl paints work using typical brush techniques? Like would dry brushing work with a vinyl paint?

One idea I had for the Godzilla Ultima vinyl you posted earlier was to try to add some iridescence to the dorsal fins (i think thats what they are) because in some of the episodes the coloring was pretty psychedelic.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Joe Fisto posted:

Found these guys today, now I just need to find that flocked Panthor. I saw one a week or so ago, but the packaging was beat all to hell so I passed on it.

I thought I would also share my best MOTU piece, a gift from my sister.

My area is flooded with regular armored He-mans and regular Battle Cats, but that set remains elusive for me. It keeps popping up on Target's site, but I have yet to be able to nab one.

I could get the two separate, but I really want the versions in that set.

Also, got Origins Clamp Champ yesterday. He is delightful and probably now in my top five fave MOTU figures/characters. He's an absurd character and the figure has a ton of personality, especially with the grinning face.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

The Diddler posted:

Is there an artist for this thing? I would love to see their other work.

There wasn't any info on the print itself, but I think this is the person

https://www.deviantart.com/hillarywhiterabbit/art/Waiting-To-Surprise-Bae-623943274

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

CRAYON posted:

Thank you for all this info. Really makes me lean towards just trying less than ideal paints because all I really want to do is add some more contrast and make some textures pop. One maybe dumb question, do the vinyl paints work using typical brush techniques? Like would dry brushing work with a vinyl paint?

One idea I had for the Godzilla Ultima vinyl you posted earlier was to try to add some iridescence to the dorsal fins (i think thats what they are) because in some of the episodes the coloring was pretty psychedelic.

The dorsal are done in metallics but I do also use color shifts, holos, etc. I have 6 more ultimata I’m going to paint and definitely am going to do some of that.

Vinyl paints are kind of thick and dry super fast so they are a bit of a pain to use with a regular brush but it can be done with reducer/thinner. CS vinyl paints are literally the consistency of pudding so they are especially bad for that. The aforementioned Mr Color with the vinyl thinner can be used easily enough - I dip my brush in the paint then dip it in the thinner for just a second then straight to painting. I know that Vinyl Wonder will have a retarder to allow for longer cure times to make brushing easier.

Edit I should point out that the Ultima’s dorsal I painted are done in silver then with clear candy colors over that to glaze the colors on.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 3, 2021

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Hot Toys Mysterio is coming today, I'm hyped

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Got my Snake Eyes with Timber and it is oh so cool.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Joe Fisto posted:

There wasn't any info on the print itself, but I think this is the person

https://www.deviantart.com/hillarywhiterabbit/art/Waiting-To-Surprise-Bae-623943274

Incredible.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

lmao

e: their whole gallery owns and you can buy their shirts too, I bought 7: https://hillarywhiterabbit.threadless.com/

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 3, 2021

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Hot Toys Mysterio is coming today, I'm hyped

Mine just arrived, and it is goddamned glorious.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Louisgod posted:

e: their whole gallery owns and you can buy their shirts too, I bought 7: https://hillarywhiterabbit.threadless.com/

This is relevant to my interests:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Joe Fisto posted:

Mine just arrived, and it is goddamned glorious.

Does it have that weird snap lock looking thing on the side of the helmet like the prototype did?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Does it have that weird snap lock looking thing on the side of the helmet like the prototype did?

There's a seam, but I don't see an alternate way to get the cloud inside the dome without it being two pieces. It's not egregious.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ah, the Super 7 Metalhead came in. Was my favourite as a kid and this is like the perfect replica of that. Can’t wait to get home and unpack!!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Phone pics don’t really do it justice but here anyway

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

That is a frankly, stunning piece. The MCU version of Mysterio is one of their best panel-to-screen conversions, and that figure really underlines it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah I didn’t even like the movie much but I had to have this Mysterio

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Is there an old school Ditko Mysterio? Not sure if marvel legends ever made one. Also if anyone has that 1st appearance Spidey from way back and wants to sell it please let me know. I know they’re readily available online but it seems like a lot of y’all are unloading older stuff and I’d prefer to deal with a fellow goon if possible.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

A couple quick desk pics of Mysterio

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Got the shipping notice from Mattel for my Revelations Scareglow!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Is there an old school Ditko Mysterio? Not sure if marvel legends ever made one. Also if anyone has that 1st appearance Spidey from way back and wants to sell it please let me know. I know they’re readily available online but it seems like a lot of y’all are unloading older stuff and I’d prefer to deal with a fellow goon if possible.

Marvel Legends made a perfect classic comic Mysterio a couple of years back. They really nailed it.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Bulgaroctonus posted:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/123114

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

EntEarth just put up the Ronin Mando. Anywhere got a link to that cheaper import place yet?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Shiftypenguin posted:

Got the shipping notice from Mattel for my Revelations Scareglow!

Oh shiii mine should be along soon too

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
drat, that Mysterio looks sick.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tim Whatley posted:

EntEarth just put up the Ronin Mando. Anywhere got a link to that cheaper import place yet?

http://amiami.com

It's not up yet, but they haven't done their September 4th postings so it'll probably go up later today.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Could probably work more on the poses, but here's how my Goku shelf is coming along:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got the cutest Kirby figure tonight

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Could probably work more on the poses, but here's how my Goku shelf is coming along:

That's a nice set of Gokus. What release is the Yellow Super Saiyan?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Shiroc posted:

Super Warrior Awakening.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Bulgaroctonus posted:

I do have that guy (loose) and would be totally willing to part with it, but it might take me a bit to find it and assess the condition because it's in storage. I assume you mean the Toy Biz one from the Sentinel wave? I bought the full wave back in the day just for the BAF parts. it's a nice figure but I'm not attached to it. Pretty sure I have the clear display stand that came with him too. I'll see if I can find him tomorrow and get back to you.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Shiroc posted:

Can i get some more info on the Kirby figure?

e: it's from the Kirby paldoce line and on bbts

Cloks fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 4, 2021

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I do have that guy (loose) and would be totally willing to part with it, but it might take me a bit to find it and assess the condition because it's in storage. I assume you mean the Toy Biz one from the Sentinel wave? I bought the full wave back in the day just for the BAF parts. it's a nice figure but I'm not attached to it. Pretty sure I have the clear display stand that came with him too. I'll see if I can find him tomorrow and get back to you.

That’d be awesome! And for the record I prefer loose and give no shits about the stand, so don’t sweat it. I think he came with those arm-pit webs as well? Don’t care about those either. Just want Spidey.

Also, thanks for the link Joe Fisto! Also gently caress you, I can easily see this getting out of hand. Was thinking OG spidey OG villains, now I’m aware that there’s a figure of eye-patch cyborg spidey from the Erik Larsen run. Did anyone ever make a figure of Solo? Not sure I want the answer.

Also also, thanks bigbadvoodoolou. Your repeated insistence that Cobra:The Last Laugh is the finest joe tail ever told got me to order a used copy. You ain’t fuckin’ around and are clearly a man of good taste. I read the Marvel stuff as a kid up until around the 120-130ies (issues), basically said gently caress it after the massacre and Snake Eyes talking/showing his face. Last laugh loving rules, everyone here should read it then recommend it to everyone else.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Also also, thanks bigbadvoodoolou. Your repeated insistence that Cobra:The Last Laugh is the finest joe tail ever told got me to order a used copy. You ain’t fuckin’ around and are clearly a man of good taste. I read the Marvel stuff as a kid up until around the 120-130ies (issues), basically said gently caress it after the massacre and Snake Eyes talking/showing his face. Last laugh loving rules, everyone here should read it then recommend it to everyone else.

YESSSSS! So glad you liked it, and that I didn't steer you wrong. As a librarian and a food blogger, I take recommendations seriously and don't ever want to waste anyone's time with something they won't like.

There are more Cobra comics by Mike Costa that follow Last Laugh. Here are the TPBs in reading order, since it was hard to figure that out by the titles and numbering of the individual issues:

Cobra: Serpent's Coil
Cobra: Cobra Civil War, Vol. 1-2 (at this point, the Cobra Civil War story arc also runs in the G.I. Joe and Snake Eyes series, both written by Chuck Dixon, but they aren't required reading)
G.I. Joe: Cobra Command Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Aftermath (these volumes collect the entire Cobra Command story arc, so they combine issues from the Costa and Dixon series. I haven't read or bought them yet because of this. There is also a Complete Cobra Command TPB that collects the entire story arc as it ran through all three series.)
G.I. Joe: Cobra: Son of the Snake
G.I. Joe: Cobra: Oktober Guard
G.I. Joe: The Cobra Files Vol. 1-2
Snake Eyes: Agent of Cobra (its own miniseries, but Costa checks back in with three key characters from his previous Cobra run)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Whatever color you order. Some factories will even let you chose by Pantone colors, smaller ones don't usually though because you have to order the vinyl in 16 liter cans from the manufacturer of the liquid vinyl, and they don't go through that much of a particular color sometimes. The place I go through I send pictures of the colors I want and hopefully they match it or at least as close enough.

Well this just bit me in the rear end. I made an order for 5 different color Lulus through my sculptor (he's my middle mad with the company that casts my figure). I decided to budget high and get 24 of each figure and costs have gone way up. I figured why not just stock up now and this will last me well into next year, so I'll extend myself a bit before winter is here when my work is slow. A few days after I ordered, my guy messaged me and said "oh is it ok if they might not have enough of one of the particular colors to make the full order". I told him "if it is less than 24 that's no problem". I figured ok maybe I'll get 12 or 18 and that's still cool.

Fast forward to last night and he states that they never made sample pulls for approval and just sent him the entire order (which in fairness from what I can tell the colors are all right so that's good) but instead of shorting me the one expected color, they nearly doubled that color order. This is going to cost me significantly more money that I didn't expect to put out. I'm kind of pissed and he's not sure what the gently caress either. He's going to contact the factory and ask what happened since they did the exact opposite of what they said they would do.

No more figures for me for a while. I gotta paint the Godzillas I ordered now doubly fast and see if I can sell them. Luckily I know one person who's bought from me before was already wanting more of the Ultimas.

Ugh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Post them here, im sure you'll find some buyers.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Post them here, im sure you'll find some buyers.

Yeah once I get some going I'll probably do that. Luckily the aforementioned buyer has shown the 2 pieces she purchased from me last month (that Ultima and a giant Godzilla that I painted a year ago) on her Twitter and IG and since she's a well known comic artist I've gotten more attention about them. That was why I decided to buy a bunch of Bandai soft vinyl Godzillas. I'm still waiting on the last shipment of those.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Also, thanks for the link Joe Fisto! Also gently caress you, I can easily see this getting out of hand. Was thinking OG spidey OG villains, now I’m aware that there’s a figure of eye-patch cyborg spidey from the Erik Larsen run.

You like eyepatch Spidey, eh?

https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/marvel-spider-man-cyborg-spider-man-suit-hot-toys-908810

Joe Fisto fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 4, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have made some major purchases in the last couple weeks and nearly everything has arrived, the last of the August buy will be here by Wednesday. This is major for my collection.

15 to go.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Here’s a line up of most of the blank colored Lulus I’ve had made so far. The blue-green one near the far right is GID and the dark one next to it is a dark blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I am sorry to here your factory may have screwed you over, but does that mean you'll have some Lulus for sale?