Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Well I've gotten three escapes at this point, but also plenty of my runs still end in failure at Hades. I think from now on I'm going to throw on God Mode to smooth my way a bit, especially with some of the weapons I'm not as successful with, because while there are still things in the game I want to check out (still have yet to unlock a single companion keepsake) and I want to see where the story ends up, the repetition of it all is finally starting to gnaw at me just a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BurningBeard posted:

Which aspects do you guys recommend gunning for when blood is limited? My favorite weapons are shield, gun, spear, and bow—when the build comes together for it anyway—so I’m just wondering which aspects give the biggest bang for the buck. I don’t want to dead end and take forever to get more blood.

Poseidon sword, achilles spear, and zeus shield are all interesting change-ups that play very differently from the base weapon, and are quite effective at unlock without needing to invest tons of blood into powering them up.

Hera bow also can go on that list, with an asterisk: you can ignore the ammo drop time leveling if you use the regenerating cast mirror alternate, but that makes you really really want to get the chaos boon that gives you more cast ammo.

If you don't like fists very much, you should actually try out the talos aspect some time -- the magnetic special has range, and if the thing you don't like about the fists is position control and having to make yourself vulnerable to kill guys, it offers a lot more control. You can pick off guys a bit more one-by-one with the power of get over here.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Haha yeah I was saying get over heeeere with the magnetic cutters, they are fun.

The ones that maim are fun too, run in and give them a slash (+drunk with dio boon) then leave them to die on their own while you work the room.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

BurningBeard posted:

Which aspects do you guys recommend gunning for when blood is limited? My favorite weapons are shield, gun, spear, and bow—when the build comes together for it anyway—so I’m just wondering which aspects give the biggest bang for the buck. I don’t want to dead end and take forever to get more blood.

Hera bow, poseidon sword, hidden sword, and zeus shield tend to perform pretty decently with low blood. Chiron is ok with low blood but gets amazing when you invest in it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Klyith posted:

The keepsakes are pretty orthogonal to weapons. Obviously there are some keepsakes that only work with some weapons. (Ex using the feather on a ranged weapon isn't great because ranged weapons are slower to clear rooms, and the butterfly can be tricky for melee if you're not really good at the game). But other than the feather & butterfly, which you need to use the whole run, the thing that keepsakes are best at is buffing & controlling the run itself. A good boon is far more powerful than any of the generic buffs like distant memory.

The most basic keepsake pattern IMO is Coin Purse / Chaos Egg -> mid-run god control -> styx-specific keepsakes

Coin purse: it's the most boring keepsake, but it buys you an extra boon for your run. It's the most effective keepsake of the lot.
Chaos Egg: if you don't have the mirror fully unlocked and max health upgrades, the egg is very nice for both avoiding a big chunk of damage and getting a better boon. Chaos boons are great and you want to get them early. Once you've got the mirror powered way up the egg kinda loses value.

God control: after tartarus you want to have an idea of where your build is going. You've got a hammer upgrade, 2-3 gods set, probably a chaos boon, and hopefully some of them are starting to stack up. At this point you can look ahead and think about the Duos and other combos that will make you OP. Force a new god to get on a path you want, or force a god that you already have if they have a lot of pre-reqs or stacking boons.

If you don't need god control, putting the Pom Blossom on for all of asphodel & elysium is really good.

Styx keepsakes
Spiked collar or lucky tooth: when you're still new-ish at the game and not carrying a full set of DD into the boss fight
Evergreen acorn: is both defense and offense because ignoring hits means you don't get interrupted while attacking
Broken spearpoint: if you hate the Styx tunnels more than the boss fight itself, this one is great for that. A lot of styx damage is DoTs (poison, snake lasers) which the spearpoint blocks.
Charon's Hourglass: risk/reward but has really high potential. Wells are pretty common in the tunnels, but the items decay super fast. The hourglass can let you carry a damage or speed buff item into the boss fight which is potentially amazing. Or you might get crap from the wells and it's useless.

Yeah, just going off of this with my own opinions, Coin Purse is basically a free boon so it's a great one to start with. God keepsakes can also be a good choice if you have a specific build in mind you're gunning for since you can get that started right off the bat. IMO this is also the best place to go with Pom if you're going to do it since, IIRC, Tartarus has the most encounters.

Coin Purse is still good in Asphodel if you haven't taken it. Also, a good place to pick a God keepsake. Duster/Hourglass/Collar is good here and in Elysium if you have trouble keeping your health up. I think keepsake choice here is really a lot more flexible than Tartarus or Styx, so it's really going to depend on the specifics of how you run is going.

I'm a little more offensively-minded, so for Styx, I'll take Orpheus's keepsake for extra ranged damage or Meg's earrings for the 40% damage boost at low health. If you're more defensive, I highly recommend either the Bracers or the Acorn.

The Butterfly one is kind of niche, IMO, because while it works really well if you get it high, you're probably already killing it at this game if you're doing that consistently.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Once you get the Pom it's hard not to just go with that every run. A lot of my later runs are just Pom until Acorn at Styx, or maybe one God control if I have a picky weapon.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Each of the little rooms in Styx counts for the pom blossom so you get the most out of it there. It's also worth remembering that rooms without encounters (such as the shop or Chaos' realm) don't count towards its total.

I'm pretty boring and tend to go with god trinkets in Tartarus / Asphodel until my build's together and then it's pom pom pom

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I don't really go in with a specific build in mind any more, so I usually go with Chaos Egg for the first two biomes. Chaos is just really good and helps a lot! The trinket seems to make them show up more often too, though I'm not sure. After that I grab a VIT/DEF one for the rest.

I've gotten a TON more value out of this game than I thought at first, but I feel like I've learned about all I can from the game and it'll be time to uninstall it soon. Thanks for the good times Hades!

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Party Boat posted:

Each of the little rooms in Styx counts for the pom blossom so you get the most out of it there. It's also worth remembering that rooms without encounters (such as the shop or Chaos' realm) don't count towards its total.

I'm pretty boring and tend to go with god trinkets in Tartarus / Asphodel until my build's together and then it's pom pom pom

It'll get you more free poms than anywhere else, but at that point the only hurtle left is EM4 and IMO those random levels will help less than the Acorn.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Party Boat posted:

Sure, but I think at that point there are other keepsakes that give you a higher return on your value than the Poms do.

But tbh I've never been a big pom guy

Also, Chaos Egg (and I'm certain of this from my time trying to get that goddamn legendary) has no impact on how often the Chaos gates show up. That's a big part of why I'm not a huge fan of it.

christmas boots fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 3, 2021

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Ugh I Can’t get the stupid 30% damage buff with Death’s charm achievement

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
What are you using it with? I'd stick with a ranged weapon for that if you're not already

E: I did mine with a Zeus'd up Aspect of Eris. I imagine Lucifer might work pretty good with that too.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Tetrabor posted:

I don't get the love for the Guan Yu special. 45 dam pierce isn't that amazing when an upgraded Hestia Rail slaps with 150 damage shots.

It's not so much that everyone loves Guan Yu for the special, it's that the special is kinda the only way to get a clear with it (there's that one achievement for getting each of the hidden aspects to the surface).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

christmas boots posted:

Sure, but I think at that point there are other keepsakes that give you a higher return on your value than the Poms do.

Also, Chaos Egg (and I'm certain of this from my time trying to get that goddamn legendary) has no impact on how often the Chaos gates show up. That's a big part of why I'm not a huge fan of it.

I mean it synergizes well with the well items that force them to appear but the run I beat hades with the egg I literally saw no chaos gates (nor any such well items) so :lol:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

christmas boots posted:

Pom is very powerful, but maximizing it means being more picky about your boon list and not having a bunch of extra stuff that isn't really contributing. The bonus from levels may fall off as you add more, but not so much that 3 or 4 levels on a good boon is ever a waste.

quote:

Yeah it doesn't change the normal RNG for the gates -- that's why the egg has 2x the bonus to rarity the normal god keepsakes have.

But I highly recommend it for people that are new and still learning; jumping into chaos gates is scary when you're new because you lose a lot of health and have a random penalty to deal with. Learning to deal with some of the nastier chaos boons is really valuable though. But maybe people who aren't me didn't lack the guts to take 20-some hp dmg plus -50% dodge move, even when they were new.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ooooh wow, I just had a very productive run that I thought I'd ramble a little bit about.
I'm at the point now that I'm farming gems with the heat turned down, and god mode on, trying to finish up the cosmetics. I had a look to see if there were any prophesies left, and I had a small handful of legendary boons still left. Grandma, Ares, Hermes, and Athena if I recall correctly. So I looked up how to get a few of them, and being inspired by thread talk of the lambent plume, I put that on, as it can act as a pre-req for his legendary. He mentioned the keepsake and how I'm getting some use out of it the next time I saw him, and a heart unlocked ! Dang, I thought I had long ago maxed all the relationships. Turns out, I'm always in such a rush when I see him, I never remember to hit a different button, and have just not stopped to have a drink with my cousin!

Well, the next run yielded this result:
(Spoilered for end game type stuff)

It ended with "I will take everything away!", followed quickly by the screen going a pale blue, Dad keeling over in a crystal, and a very angry woman saying "Reap what you sew!"
drat Grandma, that's heavy.

And Hypnos is still hanging in there with unique dialog for me

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm trying to get the prophecy fulfilled for escaping with having used all of the Dark Mirror upgrades (normal + alternate) and I have to say that the Stubborn Defiance alternate upgrade sucks major rear end compared to the normal Death Defiance upgrade, among other issues. Is there a way to make it work in my favor? I just want to get this one over with so I can go back to my normal settings.

e: I'm seriously considering turning on God Mode just as added insurance. Will turning that on disable any achievements or whatnot? :ohdear:

e2: Also, I've filled up the hearts for Dusa and given her a shitload of Ambrosia but I still haven't gotten her Bond yet. Do I just need to keep talking with her or something?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 4, 2021

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm trying to get the prophecy fulfilled for escaping with having used all of the Dark Mirror upgrades (normal + alternate) and I have to say that the Stubborn Defiance alternate upgrade sucks major rear end compared to the normal Death Defiance upgrade, among other issues. Is there a way to make it work in my favor? I just want to get this one over with so I can go back to my normal settings.

e: I'm seriously considering turning on God Mode just as added insurance. Will turning that on disable any achievements or whatnot? :ohdear:

Frankly no, it's good when you die a lot, especially when you don't have a lot of DDs, but if you have all 3 it's mostly useless.

You can buy a good power-up for it at a Well of Charon, that gives you more health at each death, but even then.

You'll want a strong defensive build, one where you won't die. Demeter/Athena's Duo will help a lot, maybe Aphrodite's Legendary or even call to charm-stun bosses. Zag Fists/Plume will help a lot once you get the dodge up too. In fact that may be the way to go about it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You'll want a strong defensive build, one where you won't die. Demeter/Athena's Duo will help a lot, maybe Aphrodite's Legendary or even call to charm-stun bosses. Zag Fists/Plume will help a lot once you get the dodge up too. In fact that may be the way to go about it.

Shield builds are also great for this. Something like Chaos shield with the Doom special is super safe. Slow, yeah, but very low risk as long as you're willing to be patient and turtle up while you let Doom kill things.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Got this game on switch last week and have been binging so hard and still going. Favorite combo so far was poseidon call with the 25% call cap auto fill boon.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Okay, I went ahead and beat another run with all the alternate Dark Mirror upgrades turned on, hooray whatever. But! Because I had only unlocked Fated Persuasion but did not use 1k darkness shards to buy the dice for it, it did not count that one in the end for the prophecy even if I picked up bonus dice from key chamber rewards. That's kind of bullshit. :argh:

Oh well, at least now I can go back to my max default perks + Gods' Legacy like before. Huzzah.

e: Also, apparently run statistics are tracked separately at the end screen if you have God Mode turned on vs turned off, which is interesting. I got to a 30 minutes clear time with Tight Deadline turned on motivating me to get through that run faster vs 28 minutes just now with no heat and God Mode on, so I guess that's good for something?

e2: I'm still missing the Assault and Defiance boons for the Chaos prophecy. Any idea how to round those out?

e3: Apparently you need the first green Dark Mirror upgrade turned on to have Assault Chaos boons available, the latter is the Legendary Chaos boon so you need any one Chaos boon already to have a chance of seeing it.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 4, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

e2: Also, I've filled up the hearts for Dusa and given her a shitload of Ambrosia but I still haven't gotten her Bond yet. Do I just need to keep talking with her or something?

I think you need to be holding three or four bottles at once for a big gift to trigger her prompt.

Don't worry, you can get them all back and she won't mind.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hypnos is still refusing to cough up new dialogue for me, despite me just about clearing out everything left that's reasonable. Just unlock your heart already! I bought you your couch!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

moths posted:

I think you need to be holding three or four bottles at once for a big gift to trigger her prompt.

Don't worry, you can get them all back and she won't mind.

I have like 20 bottles of Ambrosia stockpiled and all of her hearts full, but the dialogue doesn't seem to be furthering the sub-plot, just stuff about Dusa getting reprimanded by Nyx for talking with Zag too much.

e: Never mind, literally advanced with the next convo. :v:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Hypnos is still refusing to cough up new dialogue for me, despite me just about clearing out everything left that's reasonable. Just unlock your heart already! I bought you your couch!

He may surprise you yet. I was just surprised with new unique dialog from Hypnos, over 300 runs in to this game.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

just stuff about Dusa getting reprimanded by Nyx for talking with Zag too much.

iirc you have to finish that plot first

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Wafflecopper posted:

iirc you have to finish that plot first

Nope, I got her bond before doing that plotline.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
(Dusa relationship spoiler question)

Does anything happen if you let Dusa keep the ambrosia? I already have 20, so I'm not sure if it changes future dialogue by letting her keep it instead.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Does anything happen if you let Dusa keep the ambrosia? I already have 20, so I'm not sure if it changes future dialogue by letting her keep it instead.

There's no difference either way beyond the immediate response she gives. You're on good terms either way.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Nope. Just make the decision you feel is right

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I remember a line later that would only make sense of she kept it, I think she finally actually drank one?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Give me Olympus DLC and the all of the Gods as randomized superbosses you cowards

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is there a more efficient way to rack up Legendary and Duo boons for their respective prophecies besides Gods' Legacy + keepsakes? Does Fated Persuasion help tip the scales once you have the prerequisite boons?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 5, 2021

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Tried aphro cast on the Hera bow and found it pretty underwhelming compared to my boy Dio

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Is there a more efficient way to rack up Legendary and Duo boons for their respective prophecies besides Gods' Legacy + keepsakes? Does Fated Persuasion help tip the scales once you have the prerequisite boons?

Well some duo boons have pretty specific requirements so look those up. There are a few legendary boons with requirements too.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

+Rarity and rerolls in mirror, appropriate god's trinket, and +rarity Chaos boon should get it quickly. And if you hit Eurydice it'll be nearly guaranteed.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

You could also try praying to rnjesus and/or smoke a weed about it.

Only really one option: play more.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Yes, if you have the prereqs and don't roll it the first time, fated persuasion gives you another shot.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I literally just now noticed that if you dash immediately out of the Pool of Styx after respawning it will leave a streak of blood on the floor. :stare: Even after 70 hours of playtime, there's still little details like these to discover in the game. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
(Rail hidden aspect discussion)

Man, the Lucifer rail feels hilariously easy and lazy to whittle down enemies really fast, just dash behind them with Shadow Presence and hold down M1 until dead. Dodge occasionally if you're feeling frisky. This is even before including Boiling Blood + Privileged Status + Daedalus faster damage ramp-up and various Boons which makes them dead even faster. It feels like cracking an egg. :haw:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 6, 2021