Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Goast posted:

well if they are comfortable enough to be worn on a 12+ hour shift whats wrong with wearing them while getting groceries or whatever

if your feet hurt wearing work shoes all the time get new work news :shrug:

You shouldn't wear the same shoes every moment you aren't sleeping. Especially if you're job involves standing and moving around for 8 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Wearing your work shoes as your daily shoes sounds horrible, change poo poo up for the sake of your poor feet.

Wow, two pairs of shoes, i could be using the money for the second pair on booze and weed tyvm

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Skwirl posted:

You shouldn't wear the same shoes every moment you aren't sleeping. Especially if you're job involves standing and moving around for 8 hours.

This is why mine fall apart after 6 months i see

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Wow, two pairs of shoes, i could be using the money for the second pair on booze and weed tyvm

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Skwirl posted:

How many times a day should I change my shoes???

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The General posted:

How many times a day should I change my shoes???

I mean, if you're just going home and relaxing after work you can just take off your shoes. If you're going out for a night on the town, wear different shoes.

loving lol at getting attacked for the idea that owning more than a single pair of shoes is a good idea.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Skwirl posted:

loving lol at getting attacked for the idea that owning more than a single pair of shoes is a good idea.

I mean for fashion, sure.

Why is wearing one kind of shoe a lot "bad for your feet" if that shoe is comfortable?

Goast fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 3, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Assuming for bacterial growth. But if you use leather shoes with insoles that you can replace and use foot powder at times, your shoes won't smell and your feet won't get wired bacterial growth. Infact you can mitigate that further with using fresh socks. After shift I would change my socks if I was going to some social event. The cost of socks and foot powder is way less than a second comfy shoe (not mention easier to store/carry).

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
i just assume everyone with a good set of boots pairs that with equally good socks and some foot powder

red wings are great but they dont breath real well

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I change my shoes cause why the gently caress would I track what's on the floors at work all over my clean house or someone's newly mopped shop. Have some couth, goodness.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
You should definitely rotate your footwear as much as you can, restaurant work or otherwise. You gotta let them shits breathe and air out a little bit. Christ.

When I worked in Restaurants, my work shoes would get tremendously funky, especially if I was working BoH. The idea of wearing them at any other time seems gross as hell. I don't do anything close to real hard labor that fucks up my feet but I still have 3 or 4 pairs of shoes that I rotate, not counting 1 or 2 pairs of dress shoes. I have my regular sneakers, an older pair of sneakers, some boots and a pair of sandals.

This line of conversation is making me queasy just thinking about all your nasty rear end feet.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

My shoes are definitely not foodsafe.

I love in the winter time if I get snow in my shoes and it's like subzero outside when I take my shoes off to scrape the snow off of my socks before it melts my feet start steaming.

Like anime foot fetish art steaming.

It's pretty neat to look at because it's just normal body heat.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

those are visible stink lines

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
just unlace, crack them open, add some powder and let the insoles air overnight

ive literally never had any of the problems you are describing

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

fizzymercury posted:

I change my shoes cause why the gently caress would I track what's on the floors at work all over my clean house or someone's newly mopped shop. Have some couth, goodness.

you wear shoes inside your house and call me couthless?

:colbert:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

ughhhh posted:

FOH will come back and say the customer found the food too cold.

loving love getting a refire because a rare steak I sold 25 minutes ago is "too cold"

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Goast posted:

you wear shoes inside your house and call me couthless?

:colbert:
Not past the entryway, I'm not a heathen. I still don't wanna wear my boots past the garage. I step in way too much dumpster juice for that.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Is there a way to define the smell you get from a dumpster that's entirely full of food waste? I can't name it with anything else

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Not trying to boast, but holy poo poo is it nice being able to wear my work boots around after work. Even if I was just swinging into Kroger on the way home, wearing kitchen sneakers absolutely covered in fry dredge, biscuit flour, hot sauce, etc made me feel like such a slob.

As for the smell of dumpster juice, I was always fond of "Satan's Santorum/Smegma". Especially since I'd have to explain what santorum and/or smegma was to some of the kids, so they got experience the revulsion I just did taking the trash out.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Doesn't everyone clean their shoes in the dish sprayer

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
It has been over 20 years and I still gag remembering cleaning out the dumpster at the Dariry Queen that was my first job.

100 degress and 80% humidity outside, hosing out a dumpster full of rotting milk.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Switching out shoes is good for the shoes, and my feet always feel better when I changed it up, like any pair is going to push your feet in certain ways, and having a different push just helped a lot, even to the point where wearing heels after work felt good just because it was a different weight stress. I wore pretty crappy shoes with really good insoles though so ymmv

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Someone post the fermented rat dumpster story again.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Due to Hurricane Ida and the flooding/tornadoes in my area of southeast PA my restaurant was one of about 4 open with clean water in my area. I have to say, for our staff being as green as they are we didn’t get demolished like I thought we were going to. No big issues, no major fuckups. Just a normal, busy-as-poo poo night.

And I was still done only 20 minutes after close. Made the most I’ve made ever made in one night there, too.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

AdorableStar posted:

My shoes are definitely not foodsafe.

I love in the winter time if I get snow in my shoes and it's like subzero outside when I take my shoes off to scrape the snow off of my socks before it melts my feet start steaming.

Like anime foot fetish art steaming.

It's pretty neat to look at because it's just normal body heat.

if you're a dishwasher, your entire wardrobe/body can do this when you go out into the winter cold

Nothing else is quite like taking a smoke break after closing time in winter. Sitting out back on a milk crate in complete silence after the dinner rush, big feathery flakes of lake effect snow. They are illuminated in orange and purple by the sodium street lights. Just sitting there in total silence after hours of havoc. Your entire person literally, visibly letting off steam like you're in some kind of reverse sauna.

Then you remember that once you get back inside you still have loads of dishes and the fryer needs to be emptied and then you have to clean the kitchen fuuuuuuuck

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Not trying to boast, but holy poo poo is it nice being able to wear my work boots around after work. Even if I was just swinging into Kroger on the way home, wearing kitchen sneakers absolutely covered in fry dredge, biscuit flour, hot sauce, etc made me feel like such a slob.

I had a separate drawer in my dresser for kitchen clothes. You can wash off the powder, dust, and crumbs but once a piece of clothing has been anointed with kitchen garmonbozia it is forever tainted. No laundry product can remove that black mark.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 4, 2021

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

AdorableStar posted:

Is there a way to define the smell you get from a dumpster that's entirely full of food waste? I can't name it with anything else

Not nice if it's been in the sun for a few days. If you're in an anaerobic digestion plant that has multiple tonnes of food waste slowly rotting and digesting in it, then you just can't get that smell out of anything.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

WITCHCRAFT posted:

if you're a dishwasher, your entire wardrobe/body can do this when you go out into the winter cold

That was always the best feeling at the bakery. Stepping outside on a winter night and just steaming for a while as I was waiting for stuff to cool down enough to be boxed for delivery.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I always knew when it was way too fuckin busy if I walked into the walkin off the line and it looked like my mortal form was slowly melting away into the air. Really it was my spirit sublimating away into the air vents, of course.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Mithross posted:

I always knew when it was way too fuckin busy if I walked into the walkin off the line and it looked like my mortal form was slowly melting away into the air. Really it was my spirit sublimating away into the air vents, of course.

Gotta admit, I did get a kick out of going into the freezer with wet shoes, so my feet kept sticking to the floor. I'd pretend to be the T1000 when it tried to walk thru the liquid nitrogen.

DUN DUN DUN, DA DUN!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Goast posted:

I mean for fashion, sure.

Why is wearing one kind of shoe a lot "bad for your feet" if that shoe is comfortable?

The clear solution to these issues is to just wear sandals.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My chef at my old place interviewed to work at my current place. Wonder if the restaurant went completely out of business. I hope my old crewmates are okay. They were in precarious circumstances even before Covid. They couldn't join me in getting a university gig porque no tienen papeles y sola hablan poquito Englais.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Worked my last night at the bar last night. I won't ever have to serve drunk assholes terrible bar food again :smith:

Went out on a real poo poo note though. We had a guy get mean to the point of throwing poo poo because we wouldn't make him a rare burger. WHY the gently caress would you want a rare burger at a bar? That is stupid and throwing a tantrum about it makes me want to make you one so you can suffer.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I wouldn't have thrown a fit but why couldn't he get a rare burger? Are your burgers precooked or something?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

pile of brown posted:

I wouldn't have thrown a fit but why couldn't he get a rare burger? Are your burgers precooked or something?

I'm guessing their burgers aren't made of ground steak and the restaurant probably doesn't want to give people e coli.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
We make our burgers with the finest tube of beef we can source from a Sysco warehouse that's almost an hour away. Don't order a rare burger at a dive bar if the bartender begs you not to.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Ugh, we've been getting slapped around at the arcade but last night was next level. Something like $5000 in sales, comparable to a pre-pandemic Saturday night but at half the capacity and doing table service instead of cash & carry like we used to. Lots of tables moving around, not obeying mask mandates when walking around, being rude to us (one of our top bartenders basically went home crying), sloppy drunk college students. I'm security on weekend evenings, so I didn't see a cent of tipout, but I had my hands full outside telling people they can't come in because they're drinking outside liquor, already drunk, or trying to show me just a photo of their ID on their phones, also corralling people who tried to smoke on the patio or climb onto the concrete blocks. Thankfully nobody got violent but I'm not looking forward to next weekend.

And I'm on another stretch of like ten nights in a row, working everything but back of house - my only day off in the past three weeks was Labour Day (because we were closed), I have this coming Wednesday off but I anticipate I'll be called in anyway. I like this place as far as service industry jobs go, but this poo poo needs to change. I'm so loving tired.

I can't believe I wasted the whole pandemic barely doing anything creative or trying to break into a better industry, and now I'm back in service being everybody's bitch. I'm such a sucker.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 12, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know what the deal is in other countries but in Canada if you serve a burger under 71°C the health inspectors will have your rear end. The explanation I've been given is that the ground beef... Grinding process means any bacteria that was only on the outside of the meat may have gotten inside so it's gotta be at e.coli killing temps the whole way through.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

You can definitely serve medium burgers in Canada because I order them all the time.

In my area the health code doesn't define specific can and cants for restaurants, but requires them to have a written food safety plan that is approved by the health inspector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Maybe burgers being cooked well done is why I'm bot a burger person