Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Regarding CGI and stuff, one thing I was pleased to see about this is that they seemed to have some conception that all-CGI is usually a bit poo poo. They did stuff like build a big Emonds Field set. Also apparently trollocs are at least partly practical prosthetics instead of all CGI. That stuff should be nice to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There was an Instagram Q&A with Rafe Judkins and Rosamund Pike yesterday and while most of it is standard stuff two things I think are worth pointing out:

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1433524379774685185?s=20

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1433541447379132417?s=20

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It seems like some of the story is getting rearranged then. They maybe get to Fal Dara early?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Nihilarian posted:

It seems like some of the story is getting rearranged then. They maybe get to Fal Dara early?
People have speculated that the Fal Dara/Berelon/Camelyn plot elements have been combined or pushed to season 2, so that Min and Loil are in Fal Dara, that way they only have to do one set of city sets, or maybe 2, with Tar Valon.

I'd guess that the book 3 thing getting jumped to book 1 is Mat getting healed of the dagger's influence, because they don't want one of the main cast semi-sidelined for all of season 2.

V-EDIT-V yeah, fair enough.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 3, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
normally I hate spoiler police stuff but this is a lotta chat that's probably best off in the spoiler thread in terms of what's going in which season event wise.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gwaihir posted:

normally I hate spoiler police stuff but this is a lotta chat that's probably best off in the spoiler thread in terms of what's going in which season event wise.

Yeah, here's the book thread where we obviously discuss the trailer with the whole series in mind: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897992&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It would be a real shame to ruin the series for any WoT newbies by posting unmarked spoiler here instead of the other thread.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Yes, please keep discussion to what's been revealed. I know there are a ton of questions but I'd also hate to see someone new to the series get something major spoiled for them.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

the bloom makes the trailer look really cheap

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Qmass posted:

the bloom makes the trailer look really cheap

This. I posted yesterday about the color but this is what I was trying to get at.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I watched the teaser on my TV after first watching on my laptop and it looks way better on a big screen.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

How are u posted:

I watched the teaser on my TV after first watching on my laptop and it looks way better on a big screen.

https://youtu.be/wKiIroiCvZ0

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/ST00LI/status/1433586146597085190?s=20

I mean, fair. I think people are just used to fantasy being grimdark. Wheel of Time predates that trend, so this is appropriate coloring etc.

Plus the real answer is that wheel of time should be an anime anyway but if they're gonna do live action it might as well be colorful live action

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I don't think the slight odd feeling people get has anything to do with the colors. After all you can have a movie with lots of colors without it feeling "bright".

I think it has more to do with the lighting of the daytime scenes - it feels very even, without many shadows at all, making the immediate impression nondramatic and cheap. Someone with actual filmmaking experience or training could analyse it a lot better if it's about the actual lighting they used on set or something with the camera / lenses. Not hard to guess it's about money, in the end.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
It could also be that the trailer happened to contain a lot of bright scenes and shots, but that it won't be representative of the whole show.

No one is saying the show is going to suck and it's awful and they hate it. They are just pointing out that some dramatic lighting and use of dark / shadow could improve the visuals. That isn't a huge criticism, it's pretty basic really.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
There's a number of shots in the trailer from the scenes in Shadar Logoth and they're nice and dark and creepy.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So ep 1 is the emonds field arch? 2 I'd say is shadar logoth and that leaves 3 as caemlyn? 4 fal dara ?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Very unclear so far.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The first season will mostly be the first book, but also some things from book 2 and 3. But parts of book 1 will also appear in later seasons.
So it sounds like they are mostly doing a season per book, but going through the books fast, and moving plot points around.

I think everyone who loves the books can agree that some trimming wouldn’t hurt the story, and if the show sucks it’s not like the books will change.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
petition to rename thread "Jeff Bezos Presents: Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Prime"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Affi posted:

So ep 1 is the emonds field arch? 2 I'd say is shadar logoth and that leaves 3 as caemlyn? 4 fal dara ?

Its either four episodes for the first book, four for the second, with some cutscenes back and forth, or it's mostly the first book, with some scenes from 2 and 3 mixed in. We know they're skipping Caemlyn.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I actually did try naming the thread Jeff Bezos' Amazon Presents: Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time at first but it was too long and wouldn't post. Something being too long seems fitting for the series though.

e: but yeah Wheel of Prime is a good title and I don't know how I missed that

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 5, 2021

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Not sure if this is the right place but I'll ask it here anyway. As someone who's only real exposure to the setting is through the game (which I believe isn't canon so nothing from there will happen here) I recall a big thing with magic, or the version of it in the setting, is that it can be wielded by people that don't have a natural connection by use of artifacts. Was that just a thing for the game or will that potentially come up in the show? I only ask because in the trailer the abilities displayed seemed standard fantasy fare of "those are the magic users, they were born with the affinity and have honed it through years of practice" and I was curious if it's a yes or no thing

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Aces High posted:

Not sure if this is the right place but I'll ask it here anyway. As someone who's only real exposure to the setting is through the game (which I believe isn't canon so nothing from there will happen here) I recall a big thing with magic, or the version of it in the setting, is that it can be wielded by people that don't have a natural connection by use of artifacts. Was that just a thing for the game or will that potentially come up in the show? I only ask because in the trailer the abilities displayed seemed standard fantasy fare of "those are the magic users, they were born with the affinity and have honed it through years of practice" and I was curious if it's a yes or no thing

technically spoilers, obviously, but for a minor detail: there are artifacts made by the magic-users that do all sorts of things, from something as basic as amplifying one's strength with said magic or performing insanely specific functions that only activate if you know how specifically to do it. a lot of them require the user to actually be able to supply the magic needed. there are also artifacts that are made in such a way as to where anyone can use them, but they tend to be rare and more of a topic of intrigue for the 'current-day' magic users because for in-setting reasons a lot of information has been lost on what a lot of things do.

the magic stuff in the setting is actually pretty interesting in ways that haven't really been shown off by any of the promotional material yet

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Aces High posted:

In the books (mild spoilers about the setting) there are things called ter'angreals, which are essentially magic artifacts. Some can only be used by a channeller and some can be used by anyone, but both are rare. The books involve lots of interesting ter'angreals, but ones that would be like "cast fireball" and work without a channeller are not really a thing.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I'll use spoiler tags just cause but I honestly don't think this is really spoilering anything important but:

there are three types of magic objects in the series, angreal, sa'angreal, and ter'angreal. Ter'angreal are basically magical items that do specific things. Some ter'angreal require channeling to work, others can be used by anyone.

Angreals are objects that allow a channeler to draw more of the One Power than they could naturally without risk of burning themselves out, which is when they basically pull too much OP and destroy their ability to channel. Sa'angreal are the same as angreals just a magnitude greater, allowing channelers to pull massive amounts of the OP.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I haven't played the game, but from what I've read about it (following convention here; there are no plot spoilers but if you want to avoid details about the world):

The magic system in the books is incredibly freeform, but the ability to use the One Power is a born-in talent. (There's three levels, really: can you do it without training, can you be trained, or are you just entirely unable.) Because there's no easy way to represent a wildly freeform magic system in a video game, the developers focused instead on the idea of a character who used artifacts, ter'angreal, instead of channelling the power herself. This meant the game could have something more like a standard spellbook.

In the books, most ter'angreal require the user to channel some of the power into the ter'angreal. It's always mentioned that some don't require this, and could even be used by someone who can't touch or sense the true source, but it's presented as a way in which ter'angreal are Weird and Different. That comes up from time to time, but there's nothing like the game protagonist's "magic user who uses artifacts instead of internal ability" really.

How is the game, anyway? I heard it was ... y'know, okay, and never bothered trying it out.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Vavrek posted:

How is the game, anyway? I heard it was ... y'know, okay, and never bothered trying it out.

I haven't played it in a long time but it was interesting. It was a weird FPS with a lot of the WoT universe trappings around. Supposedly the multi-player was unique and very good but I never got to play it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Haven't played it in over a decade so I don't recall much except the words that are being thrown around and it being hard and frustrating because your only way to play is as a caster and I hadn't really come around to understanding how to play that way, always playing martial classes in other RPGs and similar games. Never beat it so I don't remember the plot, just that it didn't follow the books. My dad read the whole series and he bought the game and wasn't too interested, I guess for that non-canon reason.

Like I said, only exposure I had to the series but I'm looking forward to the show, it might get me interested like the Lord of the Rings films got me to read Tolkien

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I always wanted a proper WoT RPG/strategy/MMO game :(

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

There was a MUD but it kinda sucked.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Rarity posted:

I always wanted a proper WoT RPG/strategy/MMO game :(

There was a 3e DnD Wheel of Time source book released back in the early 2000s. Also a TCG, which was the first thing I ever bought on my Amazon account back :v:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I own the sourcebook as well as the pre-written adventure module they later put out. Never played it but reading all the lore stuff was fun

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It's based on 3rd edition, and i don't think it deviates from 3rd edition's "martials don't get anything fun" mentality. I've idly considered replacing the lovely martial stuff with Tome of Battle, since the only way ToB could be more WoT is if it had a stance called "Cat Crosses the Courtyard", but I haven't thought about it too deeply.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Nihilarian posted:

It's based on 3rd edition, and i don't think it deviates from 3rd edition's "martials don't get anything fun" mentality. I've idly considered replacing the lovely martial stuff with Tome of Battle, since the only way ToB could be more WoT is if it had a stance called "Cat Crosses the Courtyard", but I haven't thought about it too deeply.

Weirdly, it has one of the best implementations of the spell slot mechanics in 3rd edition, and one that nobody else ever really tried to copy, but other than it’s not very good, especially because it more or less adheres to the design philosophy set out in the books where channellers can trivially clown on non-channellers as soon as they learn the Harden Air weave.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 5, 2021

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There was an Instagram Q&A with Rafe Judkins and Rosamund Pike yesterday and while most of it is standard stuff two things I think are worth pointing out:

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1433524379774685185?s=20

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1433541447379132417?s=20

I am all for this series getting edited down and remixed in the adaptation, so this is encouraging.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I Am Fowl posted:

I am all for this series getting edited down and remixed in the adaptation, so this is encouraging.

Same. Read the books once and will never read them again. Lotsa cool concepts but dang it's too big for me. I'm excited for it to go on a diet for TV :v:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Weirdly, it has one of the best implementations of the spell slot mechanics in 3rd edition, and one that nobody else ever really tried to copy, but other than it’s not very good, especially because it more or less adheres to the design philosophy set out in the books where channellers can trivially clown on non-channellers as soon as they learn the Harden Air weave.
this sounds like a call for Iron Heart Surge

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Sab669 posted:

Same. Read the books once and will never read them again. Lotsa cool concepts but dang it's too big for me. I'm excited for it to go on a diet for TV :v:

At some point, my brain broke. Now, when I hear the idea of editing the series any in adaptation, I think "Yeah, there's some underdeveloped stuff, this would be a good chance to flesh that out, do a real second take."

It was probably when the pandemic started and I decided to listen to the audiobooks instead of my podcasts. (I wanted to avoid current events for a while.) Took me, I don't remember, about ten months? But it's 462 hours of audiobooks, so that's still an hour and a half a day, every day.

That probably did it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

On the plus side, Michael Kramer and Kate Reading were *really good*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Sab669 posted:

I too read the books and never will again. I don't regret it and I have a special place in my heart for the Wheel of Time--which is basically why I hope this ends up being a definitive version.