Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

dkj posted:

Since tree brush seems to be broken is there another mod to use to mass plant trees?

I think extra terrain tools comes with a good tree brush https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=502750307

Ah no here's the new one that has all the bells and whistles
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1658679290

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I think extra terrain tools comes with a good tree brush https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=502750307

Ah no here's the new one that has all the bells and whistles
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1658679290

Perfect, thank you!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I have now reached the point where whenever I learn about a dumb building I immediately check to see if there's a C:S asset of it.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=697899995

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
You never really finish a city in this game...but I've now built all the cool districts I had in mind for this one, ending with a space center.

It's been a blast. Pretty happy with the end result!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hi friends, I haven't played in several years and picked up the non-radio DLC on the Newegg sale. Is there an updated list of recommended mods, and beginner's guides? A text+picture guide sounds better than video but I'm not that picky.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I picked up the game after a year break or so. I just went to the steam workshop for the game and sorted by most popular in the last 6 months and slapped them on. Though as a new player I wouldn't recommend adding them all at once unless you've used them before. Just do a couple at a time and build small until you run into something you wish you had a mod for. Install the mod, nuke the city, rinse and repeat.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Starter wise I liked whatever the version/name of traffic circle maker is.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Roundabout Builder I believe.

What's the mod for networked highway lines? I wanna give it a try.

Edit:

Made a huge industry

Doesnt look that big? Well I supposed its not, but there are over 100 corn fields stacked on top of eachother with the full industry to back it. That fire station is necessary when literally all of them catch fire

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 12, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Community Challenge!

I took my previous post to its logical extreme. I tried to find the limit of what a single 4x4 can hold in terms of population if I just stacked buildings one on top of each other with the "Find It!" and "Building Anarchy" mods. I have a bunch of traffic mods but no other mods that can affect population. I peaked around 7500 people. I'd like to see what anyone else can manage. I call this the 16 square challenge.

The whole "city". The 4x4 is in the lower clover.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Are pedestrian pathways necessary?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Necessary in what way? Does the game require them to work correctly? No. Will you inundate your city with traffic if you even get close to densely populated, hell yea. Pedestrians will attempt to walk to where they want to go. If they cannot get there, they will literally spawn a car and despawn it once they arrive.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Pedestrian paths are great. Residents will walk a surprisingly long way if you give them the option.
I've put down a long path before thinking "eh, maybe a handful of people will use it" and looked back half an hour later to see it heaving with people. And each of those people was called Albert Einstein wasn't using a car.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Are there any simcity like games that focus purely on transit. alternately any cities skylines mods that make it so

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Boy is there, and it's free. OpenTTD is based entirely around Transport Tycoon and even has a multiplayer. It's a very old game so the graphics are rudimentary at best but at least its a small install.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

mila kunis posted:

Are there any simcity like games that focus purely on transit. alternately any cities skylines mods that make it so

Cities in Motion (both 1 and 2, they are rather different) by the same developers as Skylines.
Also consider the A-Train series.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just want them to make cities but make it not so goddamn car centric. It really bothers me that everything needs to be zoned next to a road. I could absolutely see a ton of my office districts just having a metro and a bunch of paths in the middle but nope, i have to have an arbitrary road every x amount of squares.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dogstile posted:

I just want them to make cities but make it not so goddamn car centric. It really bothers me that everything needs to be zoned next to a road. I could absolutely see a ton of my office districts just having a metro and a bunch of paths in the middle but nope, i have to have an arbitrary road every x amount of squares.

Road anarchy small dirt paths through the middle of buildings you place down with ploppable RICO or Find It! Use TM:PE to disable traffic.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh I do that, but i'm saying I want a game that's designed from the ground up for that sort of thing.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Oh, this discussion gave me a thought: one of the traffic-related mods lets you enable/disable certain kinds of traffic on roads, right? Commercial buildings (both in-game and in real life) need trucks to be able to deliver goods to them, but there's no reason to allow normal single-person vehicle traffic on those roads. Maybe set up the roads to allow for delivery vehicles/emergency/healthcare/etc. but disable standard cars?

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

Epsilon Plus posted:

Oh, this discussion gave me a thought: one of the traffic-related mods lets you enable/disable certain kinds of traffic on roads, right? Commercial buildings (both in-game and in real life) need trucks to be able to deliver goods to them, but there's no reason to allow normal single-person vehicle traffic on those roads. Maybe set up the roads to allow for delivery vehicles/emergency/healthcare/etc. but disable standard cars?

TM:PE can do that. Unless you have very, very good public transportation and walkways, you're likely to have problems getting customers to those commercial buildings.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There's a mod that lets you set 'cargo' entrance/exits for buildings, isn't there?
I guess you could use that alongside TM:PE to have access roads for heavy traffic and then other roads for cars/buses. Not quite what you're asking for, but would look a bit more realistic.

Or find a mod that gives gently caress-off big multi-story car parks and have your carefully-curated landscapes obliterated by brutalist monstrosities.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

dogstile posted:

I guess the (not fixable in this game) solution would be to make it so that you can zone off of any path or roadway but then make parking its own supply indicator (like water or power), that can be offset by available public transport within a defined walking distance. That way you could have things like office parks and European high streets but they would only grow if people were actually able to get there.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kingturnip posted:

There's a mod that lets you set 'cargo' entrance/exits for buildings, isn't there?
I guess you could use that alongside TM:PE to have access roads for heavy traffic and then other roads for cars/buses. Not quite what you're asking for, but would look a bit more realistic.

Or find a mod that gives gently caress-off big multi-story car parks and have your carefully-curated landscapes obliterated by brutalist monstrosities.

Its probably the best mod for realism released since move it. Also for cargo stations etc being able to have trucks go in on one road and come out on another is brilliant not only for an actual realism side, but just pure traffic flow.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Is there a setting I accidentally toggled where putting down roads and buildings doesn't clear the default vegetation from the area, or am I doomed to spending 15 minutes bulldozing palm trees out of every development I add to my city now?

This just started in the past day, around the 35k population mark if that's relevant. It was fine up until this point.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Is there a setting I accidentally toggled where putting down roads and buildings doesn't clear the default vegetation from the area, or am I doomed to spending 15 minutes bulldozing palm trees out of every development I add to my city now?

This just started in the past day, around the 35k population mark if that's relevant. It was fine up until this point.

Usually that's because the tree anarchy mod is enabled.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You can use the move it marque tool to select just trees and delete them hundreds or thousands at a time

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I don't recall switching anarchy on, but that was indeed the case! Thanks for the tip on the move it marque tool, I've mostly just been using it to delete overpass pillars and tweak road curves.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Zip! posted:

I guess the (not fixable in this game) solution would be to make it so that you can zone off of any path or roadway but then make parking its own supply indicator (like water or power), that can be offset by available public transport within a defined walking distance. That way you could have things like office parks and European high streets but they would only grow if people were actually able to get there.

What about TMPE's Parking AI? Or is that not complete enough?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

kingturnip posted:

All buildings have a "front" on one road and I don't think Building Spawn Points actually lets you have vehicles access a building from multiple sides, though I haven't really tested it so I coudl be wrong.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Entropic posted:

All buildings have a "front" on one road and I don't think Building Spawn Points actually lets you have vehicles access a building from multiple sides, though I haven't really tested it so I coudl be wrong.

BSP does allow for that but it's...a bit jank.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

https://twitter.com/JWMason1/status/1434718137103044608

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Haha when I build a city I always think "where are all these fuckers gonna park?". Then I start stuffing parking lots everywhere. Mostly in front of schools and other municipal buildings. In a full RICO city I start adding them in dense residential areas and industrial.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
It’s really amazing how much more realistic cities look with shitloads of parking lots, if you’re going for a North American style anyway

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Since it's on sale again, any guides on what dlcs are worth getting, and what mods are pmuch must have?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Parks/industries - yes
Mass transit - maybe
The rest- ehhhhh

Mods
Whatever the traffic manager name is, and the roundabout builder.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nalesh posted:

Since it's on sale again, any guides on what dlcs are worth getting, and what mods are pmuch must have?

For mods go to the community workshop, and sort by most popular in the past year. I always download dozens of mods.

Edit: here are my mods, does not include dependencies or assets I have hoarded. The bold ones are the must haves.

Intersection Marking Tool 1.8.2
Find It! 2
FPS Booster
Patch Loader Mod
Node Controller Renewal 3.1.3
Harmony 2.0.4-4 (Mod Dependency)
Roundabout Builder
Surface Painter
Network Tiling
Fine Road Anarchy 2.0.2
Metro Overhaul Mod (MOM)
Advanced Stop Selection (ex MTSE)
No Radioactive Desert And More!
Ploppable RICO
Auto Line Color
Unlimited Trees Mod v1.12
Quay Anarchy
Extra Train Station Tracks ( ETST )
More Beautification
Loading Screen Mod
Automatic Bulldoze v2
81 Tiles (Fixed for 1.2+)
Extra Landscaping Tools
Move It
Prop Snapping
Prop & Tree Anarchy
Prop Precision
All 25 Areas purchasable
Precision Engineering
TM:PE V11 STABLE (Traffic Manager: President Edition)

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 24, 2021

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Nalesh posted:

Bold Robot posted:

There are a lot of excellent mods out there. Workshop content in general has added much more to the game than all of the DLCs put together. Some of the key ones have already been posted.

While you are still learning the game you are 100% fine with no DLC.

Even once you've got your feet wet, IMO the DLCs are not very good and few of them add anything interesting. You might want to (but do not need to) consider the following:
- Mass Transit: Required for some mods. Adds some okay features for managing mass transit.
- After Dark: I think some mods require this. Adds bike lanes, which are nice.
- Parklife: Required for some mods. Adds the ability to make large parks. Probably the best feature added in a DLC.
- Snowfall: If you want trams, you need this. If you don't want trams, ignore it.

Others may disagree but nothing in the other DLCs seems worth it. Industries adds some ways to make money but who cares, the way to play this game is everything unlocked / unlimited cash and just make your city look cool. Sunset Harbor, Campus, and Green Cities just seem to add buildings/assets, but you can get whatever assets you need from the workshop for free. Natural Disasters adds what it sounds like and nothing else cool.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Nalesh posted:

[...] what mods are pmuch must have?

Macsergey mods are under active development and provide insanely good features if you're into those kinds of things:

- Intersection Marking Tool for detailing your roads
- Node Controller Renewal for fixing all kinds of network stuff (use original NC for more hardcore control)
- Building Spawn Points for finetuning traffic push/pull on larger buildings
- Network Multitool for parametrically creating roads, rail, decorations, etc.; very powerful (maybe also use Python Console with curve builder if you're insane like me)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I have:
Intersection Marking Tool 1.8.2
Node Controller Renewal 3.1.3
Harmony 2.0.4-4 (Mod Dependency)
UnifiedU (UUI) 2.1 [Stable]
Mod Compatibility Checker
Clouds & Fog Toggler
TM:PE V11 Stable (gently caress typing this out)
Prop Snapping
Prop & Tree Anarchy
Prop Precision

I play fairly vanilla though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

First time using RICO today. Is it common to have errors with buildings you edit with RICO everytime you load your save, like having residential households totally empty out or having commercial buildings turn themselves off randomly and/or never having enough goods?