Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

What is left behind that is an issue? A clean burn isn't going to scrub your kamado for you or magically remove all soot and residue, you're just burning off any big chunks of rendered grease and burnt food that has ended up in your firebox and contaminated your remaining fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Really it didn’t change much other than the top part of the firebowl being back to white. The platesetter replacement I have for indirect cooking wasn’t cleaned, and the inside of the lid looks the same as it did before.

I was expecting something like this video:

https://youtu.be/wwLyd42i4fY

(2:35, I can’t make the timestamp work)

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

Also, why are we under another sous vide invasion in the BBQ thread?

Probably because they can go hand in hand, a lot of people sous vide first for texture. I recognize it’s not as pure as smoking all the way, but I do that too—it just so happens I sous vide pork because when I make pulled pork that way I love it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We can just merge the threads into the “low and slow cooking” megathread and get it over with.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Two-part cooking methods are pretty common (and quite useful), no reason it can't be accepted here.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Sous Vide is the easy mode for reheating BBQ well enough to be almost indistinguishable from fresh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I smoked a turkey last year. Brined overnight, then smoked it uncut at around 275. A 12 lb bird took maybe 6 hours to pull at 160 at the breast? It was quick. Skin kinda sucked, but the meat was delicious. If I do it again this year, I'll probably try higher heat. Not sure I can fit a spatchcock in my 18.5" WSM.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The baking powder trick should work for a turkey just as it does for wings if you're looking for crisper

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

um excuse me posted:

The baking powder trick should work for a turkey just as it does for wings if you're looking for crisper

Can confirm it does but too far actually. I did a baking powder/S&P dry brine (ala Kenji) and the skin got VERY dark brown. Thankfully the meat was still totally fine. But the skin made it look not very appetizing.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yeah I don't have a sous vide. I have done pork butts before overnight so I was thinking of doing just that and putting it in a cooler until the guests arrive. I bought a 1.7kg pork butt (3.7lbs) which is about as large as I usually make in my 18.5" WSM.

My idea so far is
-Pulled pork
-Beans & bacon (that catch the drippings of the pork)
-Coleslaw
-Potato Salad (prolly just buy this)
-French fries for the kids (though likely everyone will want that, we have a deep fryer)
-Homebaked buns, these ones I've made before and they are excellent https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/golden-pull-apart-butter-buns-recipe

And then some sauces for the pork, vinegar based, vinegar based (HOT), and maybe just some sweet stuff like baby rays?

I also remembered this, I made this once and it ruled, but I think pork is a safer bet, maybe both? I am not sure if the one pork butt is enough. I think this needs way less time so I can probably make it on the grill from the morning...

http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

try my grandmother's sauce and slaw! she lived in lexington NC her whole life and both are v much in line with what you get there:
http://goonswithspoons.com/Lexington_Style_BBQ_Sauce
http://goonswithspoons.com/Lexington_Style_BBQ_Slaw

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

I smoked a turkey last year. Brined overnight, then smoked it uncut at around 275. A 12 lb bird took maybe 6 hours to pull at 160 at the breast? It was quick. Skin kinda sucked, but the meat was delicious. If I do it again this year, I'll probably try higher heat. Not sure I can fit a spatchcock in my 18.5" WSM.

It's already spatchcocked, so go one step further and remove the thighs/legs then use both your racks at 350. You can even pull the breast when it hits temp and give the thighs more time to cook and render.

Also dry brine turkey. I've never gotten nice skin with a wet brined turkey.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Sep 1, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
2 day dry brined and smoked at 325-350 turkey is so good. You do have to watch the temps though, especially if you use a rub with spices other than salt and pepper, it can char and be bad on the skin. Never had a bad result with meat, but skin is definitely more finicky.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

How big of a brisket point will fit in a 14” WSM? Not looking to hang it or anything just smoke it on the grate. Will that be too small? Should I just hang it?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I did 8-10lb packers on a 14”. It’s gonna touch the edges but the whole thing shrinks as time goes on.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Stringent posted:

try my grandmother's sauce and slaw! she lived in lexington NC her whole life and both are v much in line with what you get there:
http://goonswithspoons.com/Lexington_Style_BBQ_Sauce
http://goonswithspoons.com/Lexington_Style_BBQ_Slaw

Looks interesting, but the rinds too? Doesn't it add a bitter flavor? Or is it meant to?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

His Divine Shadow posted:

Looks interesting, but the rinds too? Doesn't it add a bitter flavor? Or is it meant to?

i can't taste it over the vinegar to be honest, but leave them out if you prefer

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Gonna try to smoke a tri-tip this weekend, does anyone have any tri-tips?

(Oh my god i'm so sorry)

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Do it to steak temperature (rare, med rare etc) and not to brisket temperature (195-210). It may seem super obvious but I almost fell for it because I thought in my head “smoke + beef = done at the same temp brisket is”

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

My tri-tip method is usually smoke it low and slow to ~15 to 20 degrees below target temperature (125 ish for medium is my preferred doneness level) take it off the heat, and sear it the rest of the way to get a nice crust on the outside, and then rest for 10 minutes to let it finish cooking.

Slicing thin enough and across the grain is hugely important (and there are multiple grain directions, that's why it's tri-tip), the meat is basically inedible if it's sliced wrong.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Infinite Karma posted:

My tri-tip method is usually smoke it low and slow to ~15 to 20 degrees below target temperature (125 ish for medium is my preferred doneness level) take it off the heat, and sear it the rest of the way to get a nice crust on the outside, and then rest for 10 minutes to let it finish cooking.

Slicing thin enough and across the grain is hugely important (and there are multiple grain directions, that's why it's tri-tip), the meat is basically inedible if it's sliced wrong.

This is my preferred method as well. I do about 275 with some red oak chunks until the steak hits 120-125F. I take it off and rest it for about 15 minutes, then I sear it directly over some scorching hot coals. I think the rest helps give me a nice sear without cooking the middle much more.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Are Home Depot / Lowes doing a sale on charcoal? I need to fill up on lump if so

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
If I smoke something for dinner during the day time, it’ll never be ready on time. Whenever I do things overnight, they’re always ready early. What luck. 12lb packer trimmed down to 10lbs, done at ~275 due to the fact that I grilled chicken at 400 on my BGE a few hours prior to starting the smoke and the temperature just never settled back down. I guess with that weight and the temperature I should’ve known better but here I am at 6:30 with a resting brisket. Guess I’m gonna be eating brisket during the F1 race this morning!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Infinite Karma posted:

Same but with any steak worth eating. Works a treat on rib eye.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Bob A Feet posted:

If I smoke something for dinner during the day time, it’ll never be ready on time. Whenever I do things overnight, they’re always ready early. What luck. 12lb packer trimmed down to 10lbs, done at ~275 due to the fact that I grilled chicken at 400 on my BGE a few hours prior to starting the smoke and the temperature just never settled back down. I guess with that weight and the temperature I should’ve known better but here I am at 6:30 with a resting brisket. Guess I’m gonna be eating brisket during the F1 race this morning!

There are worse things... You could faux cambro it to make it to lunch, but might as well dive in.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Yeah we ate it for breakfast. I think I’ll be full well past lunch. This was by and far the best brisket I’ve ever made. Things I did different: different rub, trimmed less fat, and rested it for less time than I usually do. It appears to be super well marbled as well. Very buttery.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I started a ~5# point around 1030pst and after wrapping it maybe an hour ago its already temping at 190? I'm making burnt ends so I know it'll go for a couple more hours but this seems faster than anticipated

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
What’s the point of buying just a flat. Why can’t I buy just the point. It’s way better. (My flat was a little dry but my point was legit)

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Flats are great for pastrami. When I made one it did not seem to matter greatly which cut I used, both were fantastic. Flat is also good to cut into leftover meals like chili or beans or stews. It 100% does not make a difference which you use for those.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Bob A Feet posted:

What’s the point of buying just a flat. Why can’t I buy just the point. It’s way better. (My flat was a little dry but my point was legit)

Since the point is much harder to find it must be portioned out and used for something else, right?

What do they use it for? High end ground meat for restaurants?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Burnt ends for sure. Probably brisket burgers and the like as well, though I've read that those are often made with trimmings.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Bob A Feet posted:

Every butcher I have spoken with about points has agreed that they are vastly better than the flats. Not a one has been able to explain why flats are sold separately, but now points. When I purchase a whole, I pretty much chop straight down where the point begins. The only thing I can figure is that some points have MASSIVE sections that are pure fat, and it would be a pain in the rear end to trim before sale, or justify a per pound cost untrimmed.

:iiam:

It would be like only selling chicken breast, and thighs being unobtanium.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 6, 2021

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

If they're cutting the points off the flats to sell the flats, there must be a pile of points somewhere, which is the weird thing.

I imagine they either go directly to restaurants and aren't available retail, or even worse, I hear they're made into ground beef.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Yeah. My local chain grocery stores pretty much only sell flats at outrageous prices per pound. There has to be a pile of points laying around somewhere. The only place I can go to for a good packer is Sams; you got to really want some brisket to venture into that place. (no Costco, wish there was one).

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

What’s everyone’s problem with Sam’s? Besides Walmart’s atrocious track record with employee compensation

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Currently have a 2.5 pound boneless pork shoulder i got from the supermarket on my brick oven rotisserie. Only seasoned it with some spare rib rub i had laying around, but its going to be spinning for the next 4ish hours. Smoking it with apple wood chunks sitting on top of a pile of charcoal I have burning in the oven.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

life is killing me posted:

What’s everyone’s problem with Sam’s? Besides Walmart’s atrocious track record with employee compensation

No problems having a membership or with the things I buy. Just the act of shopping there blows. I also live in northwest florida which adds its own trashy flair to everything. Super crowded, no masks, long lines.

But mine has a bangin meat selection

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

I'd love to be able to buy just the point. Someone make it happen, take my $$.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

hosed up those burnt ends. It got to 190 while my back was turned. Maybe kept it in the pan too long afterwards? It was pretty dry.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

I'd love to be able to buy just the point. Someone make it happen, take my $$.

You got a central market near you? The one near me is one of the places I get most of my meat from and the butcher there told me sure I can buy the point, and sure if I bought a whole packer they could trim and separate it for me.

Or any other butcher. The main butcher I go to will do the same, he’ll they’ll grind it into hamburger meat and give me some suet to go with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

life is killing me posted:

You got a central market near you? The one near me is one of the places I get most of my meat from and the butcher there told me sure I can buy the point, and sure if I bought a whole packer they could trim and separate it for me.

Or any other butcher. The main butcher I go to will do the same, he’ll they’ll grind it into hamburger meat and give me some suet to go with it

Nearest one is like 45 minutes :(

We're swimming in halal and kosher butchers, but their beef is not their strong point. I could try a Korean butcher I suppose since they have those tasty thinly sliced brisket cuts. Maybe they have whole ones in the back.