Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm lolling at the gift card bribe by Kenney.

"We saw what some of the states were doing with monetary incentives for vaccinations. Anyways, here's a $100 prepaid debit card. No, you can't deposit, only spend. Also we don't know of this will work."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
A certain percentage of conservative voters, to the tune of 90-100, were always fascists and racists of some stripe, so the political climate of Canada isn't actually much different with the PPC around.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's pretty well known that in times of strife people go towards fascism/populism.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

apatheticman posted:

It's pretty well known that in times of strife people go towards fascism/populism.

We also have a delayed fascist reaction. We wait for the rest of the world to gently caress around with fascism and only then, once we've seen the consequences of it and how poorly it worked out for everyone else who experimented with it, only THEN do we jump into the pool too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm lolling at the gift card bribe by Kenney.

"We saw what some of the states were doing with monetary incentives for vaccinations. Anyways, here's a $100 prepaid debit card. No, you can't deposit, only spend. Also we don't know of this will work."

"Also if you got your vaccine at a responsible date you don't get one"

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Hungry Computer posted:

This Alberta "Not a vaccine passport" vaccine card is sounding more and more like a vaccine passport. They're adding "QR code technology" so that it can be verified.

Too bad it won't be enforced basically anywhere.

I didn't hear any outright rejections of a passport like they did before so I guess that's something. Can't wait for the press conference in two months when they found out bribes weren't enough.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Arc Hammer posted:

Anyways, here's a $100 prepaid debit card. No, you can't deposit, only spend.
The bribe is not going to be particularly effective, and it will probably piss off those who already have 2 doses, but a $100 prepaid debit card is not a particularly bad method of giving out this bribe. $100 is an amount of money everyone spends so it's not something that will hang around unused and it's probably cheaper than cheques and more accessible for those who don't have a bank account. Cash would be better, but it probably has more security and logistical issues.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

mila kunis posted:

PPC apparently polling at 6% in ontario? I'm glad it eats into the right wing vote but that's a bad sign.

I know lawn signs aren't an accurate representation but there's a hell of a lot more of the PPC ones than CPC in my town. This area's strategic vote may have to go conservative!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

lol fuckin' Kenney; "we have the app that lets you download a nice vaccine status QR code!" - six minutes later - "imagine you're running a mall, how are you going to verify people's vaccine status, literally impossible!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PittTheElder posted:

lol fuckin' Kenney; "we have the app that lets you download a nice vaccine status QR code!" - six minutes later - "imagine you're running a mall, how are you going to verify people's vaccine status, literally impossible!"

Every bar and restaurant is screaming about the alcohol curfew, while the provincial government refuses to do anything about a vaccine passport. I shouldn’t be surprised, but once again it looks very much like Kenney’s managed to upset 90% of Alberta at once.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

ZeeBoi posted:

Someone in my building has handwritten signs on her window. GOOGLE PPC!!!!

I googled "GOOGLE PPC" and got a bunch of stuff about how to increase my Pay Per Clicks for Google Ads.

Thanks random window person.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

ZeeBoi posted:

Someone in my building has handwritten signs on her window. GOOGLE PPC!!!!

gently caress next thing you know they'll get a blimp.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

mila kunis posted:

PPC apparently polling at 6% in ontario? I'm glad it eats into the right wing vote but that's a bad sign.

Every likes to dump on the Prairies but rural Ontario is redneck as gently caress just like them. Especially now that a lot of the smaller town factories are moved to Mexico and job opportunities are more scarce than our parents generation, there's a strong nativist streak outside metro areas.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Someone changes a "no motor vehicles in the park" sign to read "no-vax" and I hate to admit it but I'm convinced. Suddenly I feel like a victim and the deep need to scream at a teenager working retail.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The southbound QEW has a big digital sign some ways south of Hamilton that shows “PPC” in big letters “because all the other guys suck”. So Halton/Niagara is starting to warm up to them too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How much would it cost Alberta to vaccinate the remaining 23 percent of the population with with first dose if they payed out $100 per shot? It would be like a hundred million, wouldn't it? How is that more effective as a bribe than the implicit threat of restrictions imposed on people via a passport? The time for being nice and positive to the unvaccinated is long past. Get your shot now or be a socially restricted hermit who isn't allowed to travel anywhere.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

On my way home is this digital billboard and the other day it had a big PPC ad on it. Is this allowed?

Regardless, I wonder if I should call and complain about letting a far-right party advertise like that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I love how Jason loving Kenney went out of his way to piss off 100% of people without actually making an attempt to solve the problem.

chuds are pissed because they have to wear masks to the grocery store and there is a half assed vaccine passport that means they won't get in to some places

normal people are pissed because redneck school divisions will still be mask free and the half assed vaccine passport means that the plague rats will still attend superspreader events

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

How much would it cost Alberta to vaccinate the remaining 23 percent of the population with with first dose if they payed out $100 per shot? It would be like a hundred million, wouldn't it? How is that more effective as a bribe than the implicit threat of restrictions imposed on people via a passport? The time for being nice and positive to the unvaccinated is long past. Get your shot now or be a socially restricted hermit who isn't allowed to travel anywhere.

Yeah it'd be $100M, but they won't actually have to pay that money out because most of them are children who can't get the vaccine anyway.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Vintersorg posted:

On my way home is this digital billboard and the other day it had a big PPC ad on it. Is this allowed?

Regardless, I wonder if I should call and complain about letting a far-right party advertise like that.

Why wouldn't it be allowed? They're not designated a hate group and they're allowed to buy ad space like any other party.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

We should ban all election advertising. What a total waste of resources. You get your portion of a shared bulletin board at city hall and that’s that.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

yippee cahier posted:

We should ban all election advertising. What a total waste of resources. You get your portion of a shared bulletin board at city hall and that’s that.

That basically happened in the Toronto Centre by-election last year because of COVID restrictions and the result was 30% turnout (vs. 65-70% in other years) because nobody knew an election was even going on.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

yippee cahier posted:

Ban elections, IMO

Assign 4 year MP terms to random people like jury duty

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

infernal machines posted:

Why wouldn't it be allowed? They're not designated a hate group and they're allowed to buy ad space like any other party.

Should start working on the PPC being designated a hate-group.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Write your MP today

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Powershift posted:

Ban elections, IMO

Assign 4 year MP terms to random people like jury duty

I've always been a vocal proponent of rule by lottery. I honestly think it's the best system.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RBC posted:

I've always been a vocal proponent of rule by lottery. I honestly think it's the best system.

It absolutely is.

70some perecent of people want all the good poo poo. Gun control, vaccine mandates, equal rights, rent controls.

We let career politicians tell us it isn't possible

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

That basically happened in the Toronto Centre by-election last year because of COVID restrictions and the result was 30% turnout (vs. 65-70% in other years) because nobody knew an election was even going on.

By-elections never get 65% turnout, what are you talking about? I don't think any of the recent pre-covid by-elections cracked 50% (some are missing figures and I'm too lazy to look those up) and some were as low as 20%. Those that list turnout differences are anywhere from 30-40% lower than in general elections.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
whatever Kenney, I prefer daydrinking anyway.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

eXXon posted:

By-elections never get 65% turnout, what are you talking about? I don't think any of the recent pre-covid by-elections cracked 50% (some are missing figures and I'm too lazy to look those up) and some were as low as 20%. Those that list turnout differences are anywhere from 30-40% lower than in general elections.

I meant compared to a normal election but fair point.

Either way half the people I talked to in the neighborhood didn't even know there was election going on then. Barely any signs, no real advertising, etc...

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

This was exactly what I was thinking: encourages disobedience of every government initiative going forward.

Kennedy is a joke.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 3, 2021

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Vintersorg posted:

Most banks or credit unions don't allow political advertising, there was a tweet for a Winnipeg credit union that was basically the same.

Pattison is loving up and driving them through even though most of them clearly have marked they don't allow political advertisements on their digital boards.

Just tweet at them if they care they'll remove it.

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sputty thinks I'm awesome and I deserve a kitten avatar!

Arc Hammer posted:

Nanos is pushing the "O'Toole is a political freight train" narrative pretty hard today.
That's a great analogy to be using the day after this happened:

https://twitter.com/CKWS_TV/status/1433476919618588674?s=20

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Another Bill posted:

Every likes to dump on the Prairies but rural Ontario is redneck as gently caress just like them. Especially now that a lot of the smaller town factories are moved to Mexico and job opportunities are more scarce than our parents generation, there's a strong nativist streak outside metro areas.

https://twitter.com/bruce_arthur/status/1433903391281922051

Case in point...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:nice:

I guess there was a good reason not to have that ad there after all

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Speaking of rural ridings, let's play spot the PPC candidate: Simcoe North edition.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ego-bot posted:

Are you currently high on horse drugs?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Is it weird that the PPC candidate is the only one who doesn't know how to smile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Probably didn't need any quotes to pick him out.

My Conservative candidate is putting out some serious Mormon vibes.