Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Fury Road fleet is up for sale if you were in the market for a new car: Need a new ride? https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/mad-max-fury-road-cars-trucks-for-sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Want to buy that souped up V8 Interceptor so I can nonchalantly roll up to work in it on Monday morning like it's no big deal.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What the gently caress, quoting for new page

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

aphid_licker posted:

What the gently caress, quoting for new page

Hell yeah, it's who we are

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Has anyone posted the "Hans, are we the baddies" meme lately?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Meanwhile, the common media and educated liberal perception of the war here (in my experience) is a friendly government agency official going "sir, you need to respect women" to an old Afghan guy. The old Afghan guy wants to understand but gosh darn he'll need another couple decades of help to get there.

The benefit of having only a tiny fraction of your population involved in these imperial occupations

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/drvolts/status/1433843517671940105?s=19

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

If I remember it correctly they called the police because he was a black man wearing a scarf while it was cold outside. I listened to the audio from the police when it first circulated and he is more compliant than about anyone else and never once resisted. He basically was so scared and nervous he threw up as they were pinning him to the ground.

I’m my opinion is was substantial more egregious than George Floyd because he completely did everything they asked, and he was even a “big scary black man,” he was like 140lbs.

And then after the cops had had their fun choking him out the EMTs rolled in and gave him a lethal dose of ketamine meant for a 240lb man. High fives all around.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

RFC2324 posted:

a little more good news, since it hasn't migrated from the denver thread

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/09/01/elijah-mcclain-grand-jury-aurora-police/

The pigs who murdered Elijah McClain may actually see punishment. Remember that we already removed qualified immunity here

Apparently one of the cops was a former 2651 in the Marines

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fallom posted:

And then after the cops had had their fun choking him out the EMTs rolled in and gave him a lethal dose of ketamine meant for a 240lb man. High fives all around.

Yeah, I can't help but think that's only going to get worse. Cops using bootlicker EMTs to drug "dangerous suspects" after they've been Mirandized and then trying to get them to confess or incriminate themselves while drugged.

"Oh no, your Honor! He totally said that BEFORE the drugs kicked in! Tell 'em, EMT Steve Dave!" :troll:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I’d be interested in seeing how many billionaires were born out of the war in Afghanistan.

E: on second thought I’m not interested in being that mad.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Best Friends posted:

Meanwhile, the common media and educated liberal perception of the war here (in my experience) is a friendly government agency official going "sir, you need to respect women" to an old Afghan guy. The old Afghan guy wants to understand but gosh darn he'll need another couple decades of help to get there.

The benefit of having only a tiny fraction of your population involved in these imperial occupations

It's so strange how it ends up looking so much like what the British empire did and yet it's not colonisation. You'd think the entire argument is based on none of the whites wanting to move there.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

boop the snoot posted:

I’d be interested in seeing how many billionaires were born out of the war in Afghanistan.

E: on second thought I’m not interested in being that mad.

The movie War Dogs made it clear that *anyone* could turn the wars into their own personal ATM if they just had the seed money.

But I'm particularly interested in who was behind opening the poo poo like Burger King and Popeye's. I also want to know how many soldiers were compelled to rack up massive debt on their Military Star cards or lured in by the siren's call of buying a Mustang or Harley that they'd "practically have paid off by the time they made it home!" When you have an AUTO DEALERSHIP in a war zone, it's pretty clear that the mission parameters have changed.

"Hey, we've got 'em as a captive audience, might as well bleed 'em financially as well as physically!"

The defense contractors are noli tangere, that's rarified air that'll never be challenged short of another revolution, and that ain't happening. But the carrion eaters? They need to be known to the public.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

https://news.yahoo.com/hundreds-florida-parents-lined-chiropractors-121035592.html

Bad medical advice and a chiropractor….I’m shocked.

I do like how the school updated the policy to make him ineligible and require a real doctor.

I hope this rear end in a top hat charged a thousand bucks apiece.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

I hope this rear end in a top hat charged a thousand bucks apiece.

It will be hilarious if he gets sued because they’re now worthless.

I’m shocked someone has tried getting Traditional Chinese Medicine “doctor’s” to try writing these bullshit notes.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you ever find yourself stationed in Colorado Springs, or just move here, you'll see commercials for the local crackpot chiropractor, Dr. Kristen Kells, on every station's morning news. Except often she's not hocking her chiropractic practice, she usually uses her DC credentials to push her weight loss business, and now she's onto red light therapy. Her commercials just loving ooze of homeopathic horseshit. Though she does acknowledge a BS when titled in commercials, with no indication in what that BS is in.

I remember being in a BA geology program at one point, if there isn't an underwater basketweaving equivalent BS she probably coasted through online, I might actually display something resembling shock.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Obtaining a BS is just time, money, and knowing how to play the game. If you can avoid failing bad enough your college kicks you out you can practically get a degree in what ever you want from any university even if you're a dumb.

I'd say that Ph.Ds are where it truly starts being a matter of not only playing the game but being able to produce work that won't embarrass the faculty.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, and to me, the fact that she's not claiming at least something like a bachelor's in physical therapy or something in the ads it was makes it really suspicious. Her ads are displayed as Dr. Blah Blah DC, BSc. That's it, no indication that she took something remotely related to human physiology.

I know her ads aren't aimed at me, but the 10-50% of the local populace that are susceptible to her snake oil. I'm the target of every medical marijuana dispensary in town, so my own snake oil, in a way, but at least they're not making dubious claims during every morning broadcast television show.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

Obtaining a BS is just time, money, and knowing how to play the game. If you can avoid failing bad enough your college kicks you out you can practically get a degree in what ever you want from any university even if you're a dumb.

I'd say that Ph.Ds are where it truly starts being a matter of not only playing the game but being able to produce work that won't embarrass the faculty.

Yeah as someone involved in higher ed - teaching grad level, going after my own EdD it basically breaks down to

Associates- you show up and turn in OK work
Bachelors - you show up, turn in OK work, and prove you can do a Core program
Masters - You do above average work, and can network well
Doctorate/PostGrad- you're a masochist

e: Also, if anyone here identifies as Neurodiverse, and works in Security, Assurance, or high tech, my dissertation is going to be on greater inclusivity and accommodations for folks like us. I'd be honored if anyone wanted to share their experiences and provide suggestions on how things could be better

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 3, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm what people would call "neurodiverse" and I consider "neurodiverse" one of my most hated phrases. I am not neurodiverse, I suffer from a mental illness, thank you very much. "Suffer" is the key word there, because it's a very hard thing to live with and I don't want it sugarcoated.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 4, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm what people would call "neurodiverse" and I consider "neurodiverse" one of my most hated phrases. I am not neurodiverse, I suffer from a mental illness, thank you very much. "Suffer" is the key word there, because it's a very hard thing to live with and I don't want it sugarcoated.

eh, neurodiverse and mentally ill are two different things, tho there tends to be overlap.

neurodiverse is stuff like autism that is just there, while mental illness is usually triggered by something(usually trauma or drugs)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Immanentized posted:

e: Also, if anyone here identifies as Neurodiverse, and works in Security, Assurance, or high tech, my dissertation is going to be on greater inclusivity and accommodations for folks like us. I'd be honored if anyone wanted to share their experiences and provide suggestions on how things could be better

You probably want to talk to me.

I've felt that way about it in the past but I've come around to thinking otherwise. Take autism for example: the rubric of illness and suffering just helps organizations like Autism Speaks infantilize people who actually have autism and would like to have input in how they are treated by the medical system, and justify dubious "treatments", or allow medical administrators to do things like deprioritizing autistic people when medical resources are scarce. I don't really want to end up dead because I have a certain diagnosis of mental illness on my file and thus be less likely to get a ventilator bed if I need one.

I've watched awareness of neurodiversity grow over the course of my life. This may not be true where you are, but my perception is that now there is much greater awareness of the nature and forms of neurodiversity among parents and teachers than there was when I was growing up. My partner has two kids so I've been interacting with K-6th graders a lot the last few years. The neurodiverse kids I meet are in a much better place than I was at that age. There are places where it doesn't have to feel like an illness; there are ways we can live our lives where we feel as though we are enough.

RFC2324 posted:

eh, neurodiverse and mentally ill are two different things, tho there tends to be overlap.

neurodiverse is stuff like autism that is just there, while mental illness is usually triggered by something(usually trauma or drugs)

it gets confusing for people i think because not everyone with autism can care for themselves (and there's usually comorbidities involved that make it worse)

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
oh good I’m not alone

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah, I've got both, though the mental illness part is an organic chemical imbalance, not a result of trauma.

Kesper North posted:

I've felt that way about it in the past but I've come around to thinking otherwise. Take autism for example: the rubric of illness and suffering just helps organizations like Autism Speaks infantilize people who actually have autism and would like to have input in how they are treated by the medical system, and justify dubious "treatments", or allow medical administrators to do things like deprioritizing autistic people when medical resources are scarce. I don't really want to end up dead because I have a certain diagnosis of mental illness on my file and thus be less likely to get a ventilator bed if I need one.

I've watched awareness of neurodiversity grow over the course of my life. This may not be true where you are, but my perception is that now there is much greater awareness of the nature and forms of neurodiversity among parents and teachers than there was when I was growing up. My partner has two kids so I've been interacting with K-6th graders a lot the last few years. The neurodiverse kids I meet are in a much better place than I was at that age. There are places where it doesn't have to feel like an illness; there are ways we can live our lives where we feel as though we are enough.

That's fair, I'm probably just still angry over the people who persuaded me to try going off medications in middle school because ADHD was totally not a thing and you can get over it with Willpower™. I had been really good at math before that and since I never learned some critical concepts properly I couldn't hack math-heavy science courses, which sucked because that's what I wanted to do with my life. I'm a historian because I'm bad at math.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 4, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

So, uh.... you know the old "well what are you gonna do, ban KNIVES?!"

Following a knife attack in a supermarket, all NZ supermarkets are no longer stocking knives.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Following a knife attack in a supermarket, all NZ supermarkets are no longer stocking knives.

That seems... an unproductive response.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kesper North posted:

it gets confusing for people i think because not everyone with autism can care for themselves (and there's usually comorbidities involved that make it worse)

I was misdiagnosed as ADD(neurodiverse) as a kid, when it turns out it was in fact untreated mental illness, so super fun!

Also, where do kiwis get knives now? Do you need to register your purchase?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Defenestrategy posted:

That’s negotiable.

Naomi Wolf got a doctorate, after all.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

And now only criminals will have freshly chopped vegetables.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

RFC2324 posted:

Also, where do kiwis get knives now? Do you need to register your purchase?

Cutco is already on it with their home distribution model.

2F, start watching for Vector Marketing fliers on local bulletin boards. Feel free to deface them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Defenestrategy posted:

I have a PhD and plenty of people here think I'm embarrassing so, y'know, YMMV.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Possibly the most :patriot: thing I've seen in a while.

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1433922442850930696?s=19

The only more American thing would be if the gunshot victims were from a school shooting.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That’s about the stupidest loving thing I’ve read today and I say this as someone whose country is trying to prestige COVID death rates before anyone else gets a chance to.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Maybe I'm bad at google, but the news out of NZ is saying that the chain where the attack took place pulled knives from shelves until they determine how/if they want to store them differently or stop selling them and that another chain of markets are doing the same. https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/126285302/countdown-foodstuffs-remove-knives-from-sale-following-terror-attack

If those are THE two chains that exist in NZ, never mind.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

those are THE two chains that exist in NZ

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

My bad, I've not really seen it expanded to cover mental illness in the setting I'm doing stuff in, usually just the stuff that used to fall under "learning/processing issues". I'm coming at it after getting an autism diagnosis at 31 and figuring out "oh yeah that's why some stuff has been so hard", so my bias is towards that, rather that the illness side.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Maybe I'm bad at google, but the news out of NZ is saying that the chain where the attack took place pulled knives from shelves until they determine how/if they want to store them differently or stop selling them and that another chain of markets are doing the same. https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/126285302/countdown-foodstuffs-remove-knives-from-sale-following-terror-attack

If those are THE two chains that exist in NZ, never mind.

ok ok this makes sense, he didn't bring a knife with him but grabbed one out of a display or sale package after he was in the store and they're shutting this down until they can figure out how to force violent maniacs to pay for their weapons first

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Reports are basically saying the guy was on enough of a watchlist to have a 24/7 armed tail/surveillance but hadn’t actually committed a crime warranting jail until the moment he grabbed a knife off a shelf and started stabbing, and then was shot to death about 1 minute into his attack.

Weird. Apparently, NZ authorities plan to release more info about his file later. Thankfully, he didn’t kill anyone, unless someone doesn’t pull through at the hospital.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Immanentized posted:

My bad, I've not really seen it expanded to cover mental illness in the setting I'm doing stuff in, usually just the stuff that used to fall under "learning/processing issues". I'm coming at it after getting an autism diagnosis at 31 and figuring out "oh yeah that's why some stuff has been so hard", so my bias is towards that, rather that the illness side.

Eh, it's just a pet peeve of mine, don't take it personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Reports are basically saying the guy was on enough of a watchlist to have a 24/7 armed tail/surveillance but hadn’t actually committed a crime warranting jail until the moment he grabbed a knife off a shelf and started stabbing, and then was shot to death about 1 minute into his attack.

Weird. Apparently, NZ authorities plan to release more info about his file later. Thankfully, he didn’t kill anyone, unless someone doesn’t pull through at the hospital.

I'd also like to point out that our police don't carry. It's not really clear if his tail was specifically authorised to do so, or whether there was weaponry close by in case they needed it, but it's a pretty big deal for armed response that fast here.

As to why he wasn't in jail - he had been previously, and was obviously a person of great concern, but there was no legal standing to do so. Our terror laws are likely to change by the end of the month as a result.