Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

they had NEITHER and it caused me to miss my replacement focusrite being delivered. beyond furious. deTERMINED to buy something now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

then when i got in my car a really boring lush song started playing :/

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Harton posted:

I’m not playing bass

Bring forced to play bass is the death knell for guitarists.

Good, don't do it unless you really want to

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Lumpy posted:

Would you say they are beefier than your guitar strings?

Lol

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

I imagine once you play bass, you never get to not play bass.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pondex posted:

I always figured it's a little bit like being the one person in your circle of friends with an extension ladder.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah it would be stupid for me to play bass. Right now I sing and play rhythm, but I can also play leads here and there adding some dynamics to the band. We can do some songs where we go back and forth playing solos and poo poo. I’m not learning to sing and play bass either.

Just an all around terrible idea, that poo poo is for people who play guitar but not very well so you may as well learn bass.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Pondex posted:

Yeah this….once you do it your never getting back out again.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Pondex posted:

Yup. It's like a monkeys paw curse

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Lot of opinions ITT at this time

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

petit choux posted:

I always figured it's a little bit like being the one person in your circle of friends with an extension ladder.

Yeah, or a pickup-truck

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Harton posted:

Just an all around terrible idea, that poo poo is for people who play guitar but not very well so you may as well learn bass.

This is a bad take. If you approach bass like a guitarist you’re doing it wrong.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

bass is harder for me because you have to lock in with the drums and play steadily. with guitar you can kinda wander around a little bit, most of the time.

and also in the actual part writing aspect, tracing single note frameworks underneath or through chords is really difficult and something i don’t like thinking about. hats off to anyone who can write a good bassline.

great bass players are really rare, especially great rock bass players.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

landgrabber posted:

bass is harder for me because you have to lock in with the drums and play steadily. with guitar you can kinda wander around a little bit, most of the time.

and also in the actual part writing aspect, tracing single note frameworks underneath or through chords is really difficult and something i don’t like thinking about. hats off to anyone who can write a good bassline.

Knowing what I know about you this would be a hugely helpful part of your musical ability if you really committed to it. And when I say commit I mean just keep it as something you actively think about/try. It can really elevate songs even if the basslines are very simple but just interesting enough.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I mean nobody ever said you can't play "lead bass" every one loves a good bass solo.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

landgrabber posted:

Landgrabber here with a loving DEAD ON opinion. This is alll correct. Playing bass like a guitar player means you suck, writing killer bass parts is super hard, and a bass player with a sick pocket and a groove is worth their weight in gold. Bass loving owns.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Thumposaurus posted:

I mean nobody ever said you can't play "lead bass" every one loves a good bass solo.

:frogout:

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

anyway, i kept going to different places trying to buy stuff, and no one had anything i wanted, so i went to the bookstore thinking maybe i could find some music books (there were a fe i had in mind) but they didn't have any. i heard a really bad twee cover of This Charming Man while i was there, which is unfortunate, because that song bangs, but i did leave with copies of On The Road, The Scarlet Letter, and Jane Eyre. i thought about going back to guitar center and impulse buying some of the headphones they did have, but i decided it'd just be smarter to go home and actually do some research on anything before i buy it.

and because i've been posting a lot of stupid bullshit in this thread, i'll actually post music

i got home yesterday and i sat down and focused and i kinda just wrote all the chords for a song out. this sounds terrible since it was just voice memos on my desk with my amp playing in the room, but you can hear the song. the two false starts were me losing count in my head, because i didn't have a click... not part of the song.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/849399219121946624/883106092257783859/run_through_of_Amaj_song_9-2-21.m4a

i played that chorus chord progression, just strumming wildly and letting my hands move, it was one of the first things that came out, and i immediately knew i had to put it in something and do it justice, because it sounded huuuuge to me. and i was thinking a lot about pink triangle that day and how geniusly that song is structured. this is the sort of influence i'm happy with -- that doesn't sound like any weezer song to me, but it's definitely influenced by weezer and some of the pinkerton things.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Off to a good start here! You're inspiring this old man to get off his rear end and record some more tunes

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

when i was writing it, my brain also started writing melody possibilities, and i had a lyric subject for it in mind too, so that stuff will come whenever the hell my interface gets here (so i can record it in time and be able to record more than one track with a click without any latency)

i also thought it sounded like an "opener". like it'd be the first song you play in a set or the first song on an album or demo tape, so i structured it a little bit like that as i was doing it.

i'm gonna write lead parts over most of it, too, help build it up a little more. i think the chorus would sound good with a joey santiago ripoff guitar part -- just some simple interval shapes but moving around over it to make that cool kind of parallax effect.

i'm definitely very happy with the chord back drop though.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
Make sure you check out the headphones thread first - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521

I'm sure the OP is way out of date but you can make a request with your budget and what you're looking to get out of a set and they'll help you out. You'll end up with something much better than picking out a random one from Guitar Center.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Skrill.exe posted:

Make sure you check out the headphones thread first - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521

I'm sure the OP is way out of date but you can make a request with your budget and what you're looking to get out of a set and they'll help you out. You'll end up with something much better than picking out a random one from Guitar Center.

i'm kinda headphone-versed. like, they had sennheiser HD280s and AKG K240s and ATH-M50s, i know the common models, i just don't necessarily know which one's right for me.

what i really want is something super neutral, flat as a board, that isolates really well, so i could use it to monitor my amp mic while i play. and that's really tricky, because in ears are better for monitoring anyway, but it's going to be harder to use in ears with a shorter cable, and be able to hear the click from ableton and stuff... it's a whole mess. one of those weird goose chases i just put off solving for forever.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

lazerwolf posted:

This is a bad take. If you approach bass like a guitarist you’re doing it wrong.

Yeah that’s why I’m not a bass player and don’t wanna play bass.

Bass owns, but you need an actual bass player for it to truly own.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Bass players get no respect. That being said I really hate slap bass. Fingerstyle all the way.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

landgrabber posted:

what i really want is something super neutral, flat as a board, that isolates really well, so i could use it to monitor my amp mic while i play. and that's really tricky, because in ears are better for monitoring anyway, but it's going to be harder to use in ears with a shorter cable, and be able to hear the click from ableton and stuff... it's a whole mess. one of those weird goose chases i just put off solving for forever.

If you do in-ears just get a 10 ft. f-to-m headphone extender off Amazon.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I wanted to play something that would get me gigs so was going to be a drummer, but I couldn't afford a car AND an instrument which meant bass it was.

I mostly play guitar at home these days but all my successful projects seem to be for bass. Love the physicality of it compared to guitar - yanking on some big flat cables.

Here's my new bass anyway. It's disgusting!

Hard to get a decent pic of the finish as it changes under the light. What's the word? Bichromatic? Something like that. Cheesy sports car finish.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Now that I'm older, slightly less or more stupid depending on who you ask, and a little bit better at bass than I was when I was a teenager, I actually think I could have a lot of fun being a bass player in a melodic skatepunk band or thrash metal band.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
re: headphones, i recently researched and ended up getting a pair i highly recommend for guitar - beyerdynamic dt770 pro. im impressed almost every time i use them for this price point.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

thathonkey posted:

re: headphones, i recently researched and ended up getting a pair i highly recommend for guitar - beyerdynamic dt770 pro. im impressed almost every time i use them for this price point.

These are fantastic and used by tons of pros during recording, though they're very V-shaped in terms of response. That's my preference but Landgrabber wants boring headphones with a flat response curve.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Get the 770s!!!

It’s better to intimately know the curve and quirks of your phones than it is to have “perfectly flat” ones anyway imo

Similar to relationships

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Skrill.exe posted:

These are fantastic and used by tons of pros during recording, though they're very V-shaped in terms of response. That's my preference but Landgrabber wants boring headphones with a flat response curve.

i like mids and treble, not into bass

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

i like my guitar like i like my weed

all mids baby

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Quick question, I bought a very cheap Ibanez-branded guitar stand. It's coated in some sort of rubbery, soft plastic. I've read warnings that it will deteriote nitrocellulose lacquer. How do I know what kind of finish my guitar has? It's an Ibanez S470.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Did somebody say lead bass? Anyways:

Lord Stimperor posted:

Quick question, I bought a very cheap Ibanez-branded guitar stand. It's coated in some sort of rubbery, soft plastic. I've read warnings that it will deteriote nitrocellulose lacquer. How do I know what kind of finish my guitar has? It's an Ibanez S470.

Google probably, but I'd guess if it's a newer budget or mid range guitar it likely has a polyurethane finish on it and is fine. But if you are worried your stand will eat it or can't find any specific info it doesn't hurt to put old socks, towels or any other cloth over the contact points on the stand.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Spanish Manlove posted:

the only times it's okay is when it's a really cool bass and not some dorky 6 string fretless active preamp poo poo

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
What's the cheapest set of 1/4" headphones yall would bother with for sneaky practice?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gooch181 posted:

What's the cheapest set of 1/4" headphones yall would bother with for sneaky practice?

AKG 240s probably if you want good sound.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

I don't know of a single ibanez guitar that has nitro finish. Those S series guitars are an acrylic lacquer type finish. I've never seen those finishes react with anything. Nitro is problematic because it off-gasses for a long time and if you put it on a rubber stand it blocks the gassing in that spot and bubbles the finish right there. Nitro is FOUL.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love my guitars and love playing them every day, but IMO there is nothing you can do on a guitar that's as cool as Thundercat in this clip. Bass is just good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrR_gm6RqCo&t=342s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Kilometers Davis posted:

AKG 240s probably if you want good sound.

Thank you, these look promising and the price doesn't make me want to cry.