Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Fool posted:

I mean, how many of those people would have been fine with it if it was a “king”
I don't think that is the issue here for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fart Sandwiches posted:

it lets you go warp 10 or higher or some poo poo and one time Janeway did it and turned into a lizard and had lizard babies with... chakotay? gently caress I don't remember some star trek knower help me out

they already went to like warp 14 in the original series and none of them turned into lizards. janeway was just incompetent

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

maybe your right, my first reflex whenever nerds get mad is to think sexism or racism

but, call him the “prime” or “alpha” or something and I can guarantee that there is a subset of objectors that would have stayed silent

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

they already went to like warp 14 in the original series and none of them turned into lizards. janeway was just incompetent

and they still could've used it to get back to earth; they just needed to say "hey we're back and we're going to turn into lizards but apparently that's easily curable."

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 3, 2021

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

turning into lizards is actually very hard

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Action Jacktion posted:

and they still could've used to to get back the earth; they just needed to say "hey we're back and we're going to turn into lizards but apparently that's easily curable."

that's a damned good point

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mystes posted:

I could see Picard having been written by a team comprising AnimeIsTrash, a 12 year old who has never seen any Star Trek, and a dog.

The 12 year old is there to keep me in check by calling me a loser.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

infernal machines posted:

cool, cool, they're doubling down on objectively the worst thing they did with the borg. naturally.

i mean, whatever, i ain't gonna watch that poo poo, but it's good to know the writers have not for a moment considered pulling their heads out of their asses

i mean picard kinda did already so it's not like it was gonna be good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

indigi posted:

why was it the worst thing? I only know the börger from that one movie and the lady one was super honey for Data. I forget why they couldn’t they assimilate him

because the borg as presented originally were actually alien. i don't mean rubber hoses and cheap prosthetics, i mean they worked differently from the other antagonists on the show and it made for a much more interesting sci-fi concept. then they made a really dumb action movie and dumb action movie picard couldn't just punch an implacable expansionist force into submission so now there's a queen and the borg are the same as every other star trek villain but with more tubes

The Fool posted:

I mean, how many of those people would have been fine with it if it was a “king”

the gender of the singular personification of a galaxy spanning collective consciousness was not the issue

e: although had it been a king it would have made them wanting to gently caress data and/or picard a little more interesting at least

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 3, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mystes posted:

A lot of people don't like the borg queen because the existence of a "queen" is not really consistent with the way the borg were presented in TNG (a collective hive mind). However, star trek has always been pretty bad about consistency anyway.

it's not so much consistency as they just ruined one of the better sci-fi concepts because the writers of first contact were lazy

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

it's not so much consistency as they just ruined one of the better sci-fi concepts because the writers of first contact were lazy

I hope whoever first made the borg got paid, because they literally beat that horse to death by the end of voyager.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

i mean picard kinda did already so it's not like it was gonna be good

no, it definitely wasn't

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

xpost

feedmyleg posted:

Scenes from a cyberpunk nightmare:

(click for full)

Got tired of only seeing generated cyberpunk cityscapes. Now I'm addicted to making scenes. So many of these are so evocative to me. My prompts were varied, but each ended with "painted by Mort Kunstler" to get some authentic pulp vibes.

loving hell i would read all these cheap paperbacks

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh also i finished this, its super good

Carthag Tuek posted:

started reading Notes From the Burning Age by Claire North last night

p good so far, similar setup as Canticle for Leibowitz

nature descriptions + musings on right/wrong/true/false + a politics/spy plot, its got it all

im buzzed and not good at talking about books but i really really recommend it

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

rotor posted:

i read some of those wheel of time books and found them immensely tedious

it’s been 20 years since i read them but isn’t it around book 4 where they destroy i-cant-believe-it’s-not-sauron and then in book five it turns out it was a fake i-cant-believe-it’s-not-sauron

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
quark is clearly seen opening and closing his bar. what's the schedule? is it 12 hours of every 24 earth hours? what's that like for alien species? what if they're from a planet with a 271 hour day? hell yeah quarks is open for the first of ten times today lets go drink

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm going to assume that federation has roughly eight hour shifts or so. so what happens when picard's not on the bridge? i know there have been just a couple scenes/references to 'the overnight bridge crew'. what happens if they encounter some poo poo? it's the equivalent of 3am for jean-luc and he's passed on strumbazian apple wine, you see some fucken borg cubes.

"ugh we gotta page out for this"

"i'm not doing it. i did it last time. he's gonna be so loving cranky"

"dude you're the one on call now."

"let's just wait a bit and see if they go away"

"haha gently caress yeah. they didnt see us. god i DID not want to wake him up"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

all humanoid species in the galaxy are descendants of an ur-species and have roughly the same day-night schedule and Starfleet officers only drink synthhol which doesn’t get you drunk

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm going to assume that federation has roughly eight hour shifts or so. so what happens when picard's not on the bridge? i know there have been just a couple scenes/references to 'the overnight bridge crew'. what happens if they encounter some poo poo? it's the equivalent of 3am for jean-luc and he's passed on strumbazian apple wine, you see some fucken borg cubes.

waking up the old man for anything is scary as gently caress. I had the same thought about Adama in Battlestar. who wants to bring that guy bad news?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
just make the computer do it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

quark is clearly seen opening and closing his bar. what's the schedule? is it 12 hours of every 24 earth hours? what's that like for alien species? what if they're from a planet with a 271 hour day? hell yeah quarks is open for the first of ten times today lets go drink

wasn't it a 26 hour day on ds9 anyway? it's mentioned a couple times but it never really plays a part in anything

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
"hey troi, why does the computer have the exact same voice as your sexpot mom?"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

wasn't it a 26 hour day on ds9 anyway? it's mentioned a couple times but it never really plays a part in anything

oh good call yeah. thats pretty reasonable

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

when cisco is gravely injured Kira mentions switching to a 4 shift schedule over the existing 3 and there’s a few “we’re working on it 26 hours a day” comments but it’s not an important plot point

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

"hey troi, why does the computer have the exact same voice as your sexpot mom?"

that has to be weird for her, you'd think

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

its not actually her moms voice, she just uses her empath powers to make everyone think it is

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean, i'd assume this is a problem in the regular earthbound navy already. likely has been for centuries

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
man blazing saddles still rules

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Chris Knight posted:

man blazing saddles still rules

High Anxiety is also very good imo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wtf

how did i miss high anxiety?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
captain. this is the computer. there’s some weird stuff happening and your crew are silly and bad at handling things.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
captain, i have analyzed the data, and you keep this angry klingon security chief on the bridge but ignore his advice ninety nine point four three seven two percent of the time. Requesting more information as to why we keep him on payroll beep boop

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

approximately a third of all tng situations wouldn't have happened if they had just let worf have a photon torpedo button

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

captain, i have analyzed the data, and you keep this angry klingon security chief on the bridge but ignore his advice ninety nine point four three seven two percent of the time. Requesting more information as to why we keep him on payroll beep boop

like many diversity initiatives, the lily white executive suite don't actually care to take his input

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
worf’s job is to propose those ideas so they can be trivially rejected before someone who has to be taken seriously and argued down does

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Carthag Tuek posted:

wtf

how did i miss high anxiety?

its good, op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uPdZTiGoGc

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

remember the episode where the crystalline entity returns? it's rampaging through space, annihilating all life on entire planets, murdering millions of federation citizens? there's a scientist that wants to kill it, but picard wants to find a nonviolent solution, and eventually the scientist gets fed up and just takes an opportunity to kill it before picard can let it get away? she is the hero of that episode

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/rilaws/status/1433833415317413891

https://twitter.com/davidehrlich/status/1433833667282022402

welp

https://twitter.com/realHenryB/status/1433793922178891777

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 4, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Truman Peyote posted:

remember the episode where the crystalline entity returns? it's rampaging through space, annihilating all life on entire planets, murdering millions of federation citizens? there's a scientist that wants to kill it, but picard wants to find a nonviolent solution, and eventually the scientist gets fed up and just takes an opportunity to kill it before picard can let it get away? she is the hero of that episode

That scientists name? Kathryn Janeway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

star trek has always been about solving problems with a powerful space laser