Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ultima66 posted:

On Daybound being the keyword that also starts tracking Day/Night: The keyword implies that the card only stays in that form during the day. This is why they could have also had another keyword, like "Temporal" (this has different connotations but I'm sure they could come up with a word with better connotations) that starts tracking Day/Night, and have the werewolves have Temporal + Daybound on front side and Nightbound on back side. The design complication is it's another keyword to make players learn, but I don't personally see this as being a huge problem because of the clunkiness of writing out the mechanic already.

On Day/Night transforming: Currently it's not really a card, token, or even like Emblem. It's like City's Blessing where it's more of just an "idea" that can happen. Making it an object that can transform semi-implies that you might be able to interact with it directly (except nothing interacts with Emblems and it's not a problem), and that it's possible for tokens to be double faced, which is something complicated enough WotC probably will never actually touch in paper. Except you don't really have to print double faced token makers ever and they're already putting the Day/Night cards to track it in packs, so I disagree with the reservations here.

On the usage of transform vs having it be another keyword: If there are reservations of using Transform at all and implying tokens can transform and that Day/Night is a real game object, then they could make another keyword, like Sunshift. You can keep day/night exactly as it is in the weird not really object state it's in, and just say 3, T: Sunshift, and "When Sunshift happens..." Again, the only design issues I really see here are that it's another keyword to learn, and that WotC would actually have to find appropriate words that make sense for this happening. I personally don't see this as a space where saving the keyword complexity makes sense, if you're going to do this mechanic at all.

WotC's solution seems significantly less complicated tbh. Obviously they have the advantage of being able to test and use all their resources to make it as communicable as possible so it's not a fair comparison, but I don't think your method streamlines things as much as you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

so I guess no colorless LD like field of ruin then.
needles always been on the edge of maindeckable, and with angel book coming back in two weeks I would highly recommend you elevate where on that line you put needle

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ultima66 posted:

On Daybound being the keyword that also starts tracking Day/Night: The keyword implies that the card only stays in that form during the day. This is why they could have also had another keyword, like "Temporal" (this has different connotations but I'm sure they could come up with a word with better connotations) that starts tracking Day/Night, and have the werewolves have Temporal + Daybound on front side and Nightbound on back side. The design complication is it's another keyword to make players learn, but I don't personally see this as being a huge problem because of the clunkiness of writing out the mechanic already.

On Day/Night transforming: Currently it's not really a card, token, or even like Emblem. It's like City's Blessing where it's more of just an "idea" that can happen. Making it an object that can transform semi-implies that you might be able to interact with it directly (except nothing interacts with Emblems and it's not a problem), and that it's possible for tokens to be double faced, which is something complicated enough WotC probably will never actually touch in paper. Except you don't really have to print double faced token makers ever and they're already putting the Day/Night cards to track it in packs, so I disagree with the reservations here.

On the usage of transform vs having it be another keyword: If there are reservations of using Transform at all and implying tokens can transform and that Day/Night is a real game object, then they could make another keyword, like Sunshift. You can keep day/night exactly as it is in the weird not really object state it's in, and just say 3, T: Sunshift, and "When Sunshift happens..." Again, the only design issues I really see here are that it's another keyword to learn, and that WotC would actually have to find appropriate words that make sense for this happening. I personally don't see this as a space where saving the keyword complexity makes sense, if you're going to do this mechanic at all.
Why is having temporal -- daybound better than just daybound? It seems like you want to open the door to more time-based shenanigans.

Turning it from a status to a permanent means each player could have one. Is it night on my side of the field but day on yours? What happens when a permanent changes control? What happens in a three player game if the controller of the Day leaves the game? It's owner? This is why using a status to track the time makes more sense than an actual object with properties.

Well it's still transform, it's just daybound bakes it into the rules of the game instead of printing the text on the card.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Shrecknet posted:

so I guess no colorless LD like field of ruin then.
needles always been on the edge of maindeckable, and with angel book coming back in two weeks I would highly recommend you elevate where on that line you put needle

So not faithless looting?
:dadjoke:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Despite the wordiness of its mechanics, I think daybound/nightbound is actually very grokable.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
There's a lot of stuff that would be cool to see in Magic, but Magic "can't" do under the rules, at least not without awkward wording. Day/Night is one of them. Whenever I see something like this I imagine it's down to a clash in ways of thinking at R&D; there's the people that want to do this cool mechanic and want to see the rules change to allow it, and there's people that are rules purists and want the mechanic to bend to fit the rules of the game instead. Maybe the idea of an outside-the-game double-sided Day/Night game object that no player controls was too far out there, I don't know.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Standard was the most boring format possible for the longest time because it was nothing but Yorion piles or Embercleave decks

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ultima66 posted:

I don't think "This mechanic is too complicated, let's make three (??) more keywords and an entirely new object to simplify it." is as elegant as you think.

Day/Night mechanic is incredibly simple in execution (we handled it fine a decade ago) and the only difference is now a few more things care about it.

Much like Mutate, once people actually play with it, it'll be fine. Don't be scared of all the words.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LifeLynx posted:

There's a lot of stuff that would be cool to see in Magic, but Magic "can't" do under the rules, at least not without awkward wording. Day/Night is one of them. Whenever I see something like this I imagine it's down to a clash in ways of thinking at R&D; there's the people that want to do this cool mechanic and want to see the rules change to allow it, and there's people that are rules purists and want the mechanic to bend to fit the rules of the game instead. Maybe the idea of an outside-the-game double-sided Day/Night game object that no player controls was too far out there, I don't know.

Yeah but why does it have to be an object? What functional difference is there if day night is an object vs a status?
Other than you can't print a card called "Seize the Day!" with the text "Gain control of the day"

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

That Pithing Needle is the most squicked I’ve been at a card art in this game since Thought Lash when I was 10 years old

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Compare:

The Vampire lord gets; Evasion, and ETB
The Zombie; One point of toughness.

The Zombie lord always gets an immediate effect before the attack step and is a tribe that naturally gets wider. I don't think it's a useful comparison or that we have any idea which will see more play.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah but why does it have to be an object? What functional difference is there if day night is an object vs a status?
Other than you can't print a card called "Seize the Day!" with the text "Gain control of the day"

Because the game is played with objects? Card shaped ones. Players have a hard time remembering all aspects of the game state so we use cards.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

In a set where there’s a mechanic involving making loads of zombie tokens I am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt that a small buff to them all is still quite good, in limited at least

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I know peoples' eyeballs are kinda sliding right past this one because of the wall of text but this is an extremely solid 3mv mana rock. Possibly the best one they've printed since Coalition Relic.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think card text bloat is obviously real, and you'll see even streamers who play every day make mistakes because they forget or don't read all of it, but the day/night thing seems like it'll probably be fine to me.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

I know peoples' eyeballs are kinda sliding right past this one because of the wall of text but this is an extremely solid 3mv mana rock. Possibly the best one they've printed since Coalition Relic.

You might be right, but who plays 3CMC rocks? Not good enough for 60 card formats, and basically anyone can run any number of good 0-2 CMC rocks in EDH. I don't know why they keep making them tbh. I'd rather them just make slightly less good 2CMC rocks.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

fadam posted:

I'd rather them just make slightly less good 2CMC rocks.
They do make less good 2 mana rocks.

by increasing the cmc by 1

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

Compare:

that's power, not toughness. Also there seems to be many ways to go wide with zombies. That's not awful for an immediate effect for 2 mana. The vampire has a higher ceiling, but it's also conditional.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

fadam posted:

You might be right, but who plays 3CMC rocks? Not good enough for 60 card formats, and basically anyone can run any number of good 0-2 CMC rocks in EDH. I don't know why they keep making them tbh. I'd rather them just make slightly less good 2CMC rocks.

Coalition relic floats in and out of modern. Currently out but it saw play in titan builds pre field/Druid printings and I wouldn’t be surprised to see it again in the future

This is obviously different because you can’t go straight to 6 the turn after you play it. Just don’t besmirch coalition relic

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I think “whenever day becomes night or night becomes day” is hard to parse because it’s supposed to be read:

“Whenever

day becomes night

or

night becomes day”

But it’s easy to misread as the headache inducing:

“Whenever

day becomes night or night

becomes day”

It is not clear the word “or” starts a new condition – rather than modifying the one you’re reading – until you have read the whole phrase, and if you don’t realise that then “day becomes night or night” is a headfuck. I’ve no idea if that’s a resolvable issue in templating but that’s where I think the issue lies

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Framboise posted:

that's power, not toughness. Also there seems to be many ways to go wide with zombies. That's not awful for an immediate effect for 2 mana. The vampire has a higher ceiling, but it's also conditional.

It's a 2/3. They're both incomplete as lords.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

fadam posted:

True, sadly.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Time posted:

Coalition relic floats in and out of modern. Currently out but it saw play in titan builds pre field/Druid printings and I wouldn’t be surprised to see it again in the future

This is obviously different because you can’t go straight to 6 the turn after you play it. Just don’t besmirch coalition relic

Okay fair enough if they ever ban the dryad I'll amend my post.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

It's a 2/3. They're both incomplete as lords.

why are you completely ignoring the 1 point of immediate power the zombie lord has vs the conditional counter of the vampire lord

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
like in a lot of situations the vampire is just a 2/2 menace with no effect bc your opponent has mulltiple blockers, while the zombie is always on and always effecting any present or future zombies

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

vegetables posted:

I think “whenever day becomes night or night becomes day” is hard to parse because it’s supposed to be read:

“Whenever

day becomes night

or

night becomes day”

But it’s easy to misread as the headache inducing:

“Whenever

day becomes night or night

becomes day”

It is not clear the word “or” starts a new condition – rather than modifying the one you’re reading – until you have read the whole phrase, and if you don’t realise that then “day becomes night or night” is a headfuck. I’ve no idea if that’s a resolvable issue in templating but that’s where I think the issue lies

🎵You know the day becomes the night
Night becomes the day
Tried to run
Tried to hide
Flip on through to the other side
Flip on through to the other side
Flip on through to the other side, yeah🎵

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

HootTheOwl posted:

Compare:

You can have a lot more zombies than you can have vampires

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mandatory lesbian posted:

why are you completely ignoring the 1 point of immediate power the zombie lord has vs the conditional counter of the vampire lord

like in a lot of situations the vampire is just a 2/2 menace with no effect bc your opponent has mulltiple blockers, while the zombie is always on and always effecting any present or future zombies

Just so we're clear, is it your opinion that the zombie is better than the vampire?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Just so we're clear, is it your opinion that the zombie is better than the vampire?

Honestly, maybe. Vampire when it goes off is obviously a lot stronger, but even a bad lord effect on a 2CMC body in a tribe that has a ton of token support could be a lot better if the support is there. Getting something worse for free is sometimes better than getting something better that you have to work for.

fadam fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 4, 2021

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

This seems hot, and for Historic/Pioneer/Modern this would get me brewing vampires in RB instead of monoB or WB. Seems to have a lot of potential for explosive plays, which is probably the deck's main strength, and I was already considering it for the Vampire Dragon from Kaldheim. I already play Viscous Conquistador in historic and play it T1, attack into nothing or a 1/x blockerT2 and it becomes a 2/3 when this comes down. There is the issue of allied mana support in Historic and Pioneer mind.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

not at all, i havent seen enough of the set to say which is better. but i am criticizing your evaluation method, which i believe is limited and incomplete

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
altho, in a vaccuum yeah id much rather have the zombie lord. if we assume the lord is the only card in hand, and my field is a few relevant creatures, i can play zombie lord pre-combat and attack for big damage while in the same situation id have to play the vamp lord post-combat to get any benefit

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Theyre also signpost cards, they're supposed to tell newer players how to build for the color. It's telling you to go wide and aggressive, no point putting an evasion on it unless they're going to be more enablers.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Weird tax effect. Very narrow, but ultimately puts them down a mana while you stay even on cards if they do have to cast the named card.

This feels like a pretty good utility/glue creature.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i really like curse of silence if for nothing but it just being super wierd

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
curse of silence, naming your commander

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

It's notable that the zombie lord is solid on defense and the vampire lord does fuckall on defense. Though +1/+0 is kind of meh for a lord buff so I don't think either of them are great lords or anything. It is nice that vampire lord won't get you hosed on combat math when the opponent removes it mid combat.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Surprised not to see talk of how good this seems with Lurrus? Definitely seems worth a shot in BW auras which run Claim/Fame now.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

You could do that, or just cast Drannith Magistrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

flatluigi posted:

So I spend a mana in order to make one opponent spend 2 mana at their convenience, and until they do, I'm down a card.

Sounds sweet!