Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

canyoneer posted:

There have been dozens of popular deckbuilding video games released in the last few years, but only Slay The Spire was good.

Griftlands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah, Griftlands rules. I normally don't like those kinds of games, but I had a great time with that one.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
posting on the acab page, and yes that includes chimera squad

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

all cyberdisks are burgeoning

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
wrong thread

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Phobophilia posted:

posting on the acab page, and yes that includes chimera squad

"Hi we're the cops and we're the good guys. Our methods include sticking grenades onto suspects to intentionally cause psychological trauma before they explode."

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

They make a point of showing how nice and chill the explosives guy is out of combat which makes him seem even more like a serial killer.

Game rules though.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Yeah if you just embrace that you’re a group of psychopaths enabled by a fascist police state it’s super fun.

Unit is responding to scene I have now set the suspect’s soul on fire and my partner is proceeding to electrocute them with a militarized drone.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Absolute psychos sure but I don’t know too many police states fighting so hard to defend plurality and minority rights which 31PD and chimera squad absolutely do so let’s not get too much politics poisoning here

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, there are absolutely problems, but let's not over-sell that.

It is explicitly stated that Chimera Squad only gets sent into missions not directly related to the investigation if the situation has escalated to a point where it is too dangerous for the regular police. Situations where it has already escalated to Lethal Force before you even got called in.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Claymore is just a nice, super chill dude that just happens to commit warcrime based mass murder for a living, ok? Don't judge him as his enemies scream and violently explode.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I mean regular XCOM does all that stuff to sectoids and mutons and poo poo. Can a sectoid not feel terror?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The mindspin and insanity psi-skills suggest so!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

BlazetheInferno posted:

Yeah, there are absolutely problems, but let's not over-sell that.

It is explicitly stated that Chimera Squad only gets sent into missions not directly related to the investigation if the situation has escalated to a point where it is too dangerous for the regular police. Situations where it has already escalated to Lethal Force before you even got called in.

Even then, you have the option to stick to pretty much exclusively non-lethal takedowns for pretty much the entire game. Mass murdering everything with explosives is an option you have, but you can tranq people/stun them/knock them out too.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Kanos posted:

Even then, you have the option to stick to pretty much exclusively non-lethal takedowns for pretty much the entire game. Mass murdering everything with explosives is an option you have, but you can tranq people/stun them/knock them out too.

And you're even encouraged to do so! You don't get intel from corpses, after all.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I mean it's also weird when you nonlethally hit someone straight out a 3 story window, but that's just game silliness at that point.

The closest we get to beating down minorities are the Mutons who just want to leave, and even then they're depicted as the most sympathetic. The other two are psychic supremacists and holdouts from the old fascist regime.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

skaianDestiny posted:

I mean it's also weird when you nonlethally hit someone straight out a 3 story window, but that's just game silliness at that point.

The closest we get to beating down minorities are the Mutons who just want to leave, and even then they're depicted as the most sympathetic. The other two are psychic supremacists and holdouts from the old fascist regime.

And we don't figure this part out until after the fighting is OVER. All we can tell up until then is a group of armed and dangerous mutons are gathering equipment and supplies and such to steal spaceships.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

skaianDestiny posted:

It's fine, they patched in a splash sound effect

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

skaianDestiny posted:

batman's a consultant

BlazetheInferno posted:

And we don't figure this part out until after the fighting is OVER. All we can tell up until then is a group of armed and dangerous mutons are gathering equipment and supplies and such to steal spaceships.
i mean they are a group of armed and dangerous mutons out to steal spaceships. they say we just want to leave and go home but their plan to do so would've killed an entire section of city 31, as whisper explicitly points out. sympathetic or not they were still delighted to kill a bunch of humans, hybrids, and aliens alike with their half-cocked plan. you can sympathize with their goal while still thinking they need a serious dopeslap for being willing to murder tons of people in pursuit of it.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 5, 2021

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yeah it's worth recognizing that Chimera Squad are not cops - they're paramilitaries akin to an FBI Hostage Rescue Team, or even better France's GIGN. They only get deployed against people considered armed and highly dangerous.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I still think Chimera Squad would have both looked better and played better if nonlethal takedowns were less of a gentle suggestion and more mandatory towards not causing panic to spread through the city. Its actually pretty satisfying to play the game trying your best to minimize casualties, treating every dead suspect as a failure on your part. But it pretty much precludes you from using the heroes who don't have nonlethal options.

Also, the mutons look stupid and dumb.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Internet Kraken posted:

I still think Chimera Squad would have both looked better and played better if nonlethal takedowns were less of a gentle suggestion and more mandatory towards not causing panic to spread through the city. Its actually pretty satisfying to play the game trying your best to minimize casualties, treating every dead suspect as a failure on your part. But it pretty much precludes you from using the heroes who don't have nonlethal options.

Also, the mutons look stupid and dumb.

Adding concrete penalties for using lethal force would be more restrictive and punishing for you using some agents.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You could rework a lot of agents to be LtL pretty easy. Even Claymore, just give his thrown bombs a concussion version that doesn’t affect mechanicals but KOs organics, and shares a charge with his frag version. But also that entire thing increases the complexity of a game that is explicitly designed to be an experiment and ignores the rest of the game where 31PD’s chief is literally asking for Chimera Squad to step in because there are military grade threats in a city that was actively at war less than a year ago and Jesus Mary Christ this handwringing is the most online thing I have seen outside of D&D in a month so hey next time someone comes in going “lol acab” about a loving sci fi video game lets all just agree to laugh at them rather than feed into the lowest effort concern troll in history.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Coolguye posted:

You could rework a lot of agents to be LtL pretty easy. Even Claymore, just give his thrown bombs a concussion version that doesn’t affect mechanicals but KOs organics, and shares a charge with his frag version. But also that entire thing increases the complexity of a game that is explicitly designed to be an experiment and ignores the rest of the game where 31PD’s chief is literally asking for Chimera Squad to step in because there are military grade threats in a city that was actively at war less than a year ago and Jesus Mary Christ this handwringing is the most online thing I have seen outside of D&D in a month so hey next time someone comes in going “lol acab” about a loving sci fi video game lets all just agree to laugh at them rather than feed into the lowest effort concern troll in history.

I agree with you entirely, but can we at least appreciate Claymore for the monster who attaches timed mines to foes that he is?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Serephina posted:

I agree with you entirely, but can we at least appreciate Claymore for the monster who attaches timed mines to foes that he is?

I mean X-Com is a world where most of them can survive that and continue fighting so :v:

Everyone is incredibly superhuman due to being an actual alien, robot or gene-modded to hell and back. They can totally handle stuff that would be lethal to a baseline human no problem.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Blastin the aliens with my non-lethal tranquilizer superheated plasma gun

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

BobTheJanitor posted:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

For the record I think it makes total sense that the xcom cops are basically a death squad / special operations war team. It's that they're all so drat chipper about it that makes them seem like psychos. (it's pretty clear this isn't actually the intended read and they were just going for Whedonesque "uh, so THAT happened" dialogue)

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Tell that to Terminal.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
More seriously, no consequences for killing IS the ACAB statement the game makes. Chimera Squad's position as the military-tier response force makes it a bit more justifiable than if they were beat cops, but letting the player experience that and then imagine being a real cop with similar impunity is the point, I think.

The game mechanics don't have to reward the statement. Being a good guy can be hard.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
chimera squad are not cops because they actually brutalize racists

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

chimera squad are not cops because they actually brutalize racists

:drat:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

But they also employ them. Hmmm....

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FoolyCharged posted:

both sides

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Those who work forces are the same that burn sectoids

Is it racism or speciesism when the people you hate evolved on another planet?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

FoolyCharged posted:

Torque isn't really racist, she's fine with anyone! (as long as they were born on good old Earth and not in space).

Its more of a bizarre uh Planetism?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Zore posted:

Torque isn't really racist, she's fine with anyone! (as long as they were born on good old Earth and not in space).

Touche

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
I enjoy the comprehensive "Xenophobia"

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Zore posted:

That was the best bit of banter in the game, where Torque doesn't consider herself to be an alien because she was hatched on Earth.

After watching the preview for the Marvel game you can really how it inspired some of the stuff in XCOM : CS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kanos posted:

Adding concrete penalties for using lethal force would be more restrictive and punishing for you using some agents.

Yeah that's exactly what I said? I said they would of had to rework the game to incorporate more nonlethal options into certain agents kits.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Realistically, they could of of had you using some weird futuristic arc thrower guns. Would better explain why you don't start from the beginning of the game with plasma weapons to blow everyone away.