Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

It is always impressive what people can pull in ARR dungeons when they really know what they're doing. I posted once about levelling Astrologian and seeing a tank do a wall pull at the start of Dzemael Darkhold and being absolutely stunned that we all survived. He had good gear and was on point and while I was a bit new and unsteady as a healer I kept my head and kept us alive.

The darkhold megapull is amazing when done right.

New folks: the gimmick in the first part of Darkhold is there are crystals that project an aura that make a miniboss vulnerable, and also massively reduce the damage you take.

So, a tank can basically pull the entire set of trash waves up to the room before the first boss (probably 15-20 enemies at once) and as long as they tank them in a crystal at the end, the group can AOE them down relatively safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Tortolia posted:

New folks: the gimmick in the first part of Darkhold is there are crystals that project an aura that make a miniboss vulnerable, and also massively reduce the damage you take.

So, a tank can basically pull the entire set of trash waves up to the room before the first boss (probably 15-20 enemies at once) and as long as they tank them in a crystal at the end, the group can AOE them down relatively safely.

It's the first dungeon where both DPS reliably have an AOE attack, and it's also the first dungeon where WHM has Holy.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Music question: what’s the vocalized song that plays just before the final battle with Nidhogg?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Regalingualius posted:

Music question: what’s the vocalized song that plays just before the final battle with Nidhogg?

I don't remember that moment per se but the only song I can think it might be is Dragonsong.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't remember that moment per se but the only song I can think it might be is Dragonsong.

This is correct.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Tortolia posted:

There is apparently also a small corner between a wall and a bookcase or something in the room before the first boss where the tank can stand and only a few enemies can hit them.

I once had a tank who grabbed every mob before the boss and then stood in that corner taking almost no damage while we just aoed all the mobs.

Never seen it before then and never seen it since. It was crazy.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

That corner is for los on the ranged enemies, it's the crystal glow that makes the tank nearly unkillable, the corner with that shelf is just to group enemies better.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

For the Diadem, is there any point in saving up charges of your monster killer, or should you basically be using them as soon as you get them?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

For the Diadem, is there any point in saving up charges of your monster killer, or should you basically be using them as soon as you get them?

The only reason to save your bazooka blasts is if you are trying to get specific materials that come from a particular mob and you aren't near one of them.

Edit: fun random factoid - when the current version of the Diadem dropped, botanists/miners were near the top of the dps charts assuming they were efficient and got a shot off every 3 minutes. It was something like 16k dps averaged out.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I always saved them for when the sprites came out during the elemental weather since crystals and shards are useful in and out of the Firmament.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Is there any easy way of searching craftable gear by stats? I.E. if I wanted to make a gathering vest for a DoL job

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

anything you can make can also be sold and they're ordered by level and ilvl so if you're making it for yourself just check the market board as that job, click the gear icon for a particular slot and your highest equipable item is at the top of the entire list.

If you don't actually have that job you can still select it from the drop down menu and put in a level and then do the rest to get the same results.

This doesn't show scrip gear and other stuff your trade/buy from NPCs though.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Ok I changed my mind. currently I'm in Very Upset status at Heavensward plot

In all seriousness, this expansion has been very good. I'm liking the plot, Dark Knight quests are great, and I'm liking the more complicated dungeon/trial mechanics. They're not, like, over the top but they're way more interesting than the ARR ones, even accounting for these ones still kinda falling over. There's only really been one boss so far where I didn't fully understand what was happening.

also I got called a "pro sprout" on the first boss of a dungeon where the healer somehow got himself deleted like 10 seconds in but I managed to stay alive to keep tanking and clear the boss.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

Is there any easy way of searching craftable gear by stats? I.E. if I wanted to make a gathering vest for a DoL job

Easiest way is probably using teamcraft:

https://ffxivteamcraft.com/search

Set the required level to narrow things down, usuable job and stat filters and you'll get everything you can craft. Also let's you make a nice list of all the mats you'd need.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Levelling gear window on garland tools, select class type level and it’ll give a tracker of them. You can add the whole set or just one piece to a list from there

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Just some story curiosity: do the quests to become a dragoon change in response to (MAJOR HW spoilers) Estinien retiring after Nidhogg is killed once and for all?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Job quests canonically take place when they were released, so no. It's also why if you go pick up an ARR class after you should be known all over as a Big Goddamn Hero the NPCs will act like you're a nobody newbie adventurer.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Regalingualius posted:

Just some story curiosity: do the quests to become a dragoon change in response to (MAJOR HW spoilers) Estinien retiring after Nidhogg is killed once and for all?

If you have dragoon leveled HW does make some references to your title (even if not actively playing the job). For example at that point you mention I believe Estinien says it is/was an honor to have shared the title of Azure Dragoon with you.

The game is pretty good about subtlety altering things if you’ve done side content that is pertinent and fits on the timeline. When you first meet her again post ARR Alisiae’s dialogue is slightly different depending on if you finished, started but did not complete, or never unlocked the Binding Coils of Bahamut.

Sometimes your race and or gender will come up, but never really in a major way.

A humorous example is the Monster Hunter collar quest, where choosing the “A talking cat?!” option when meeting the Palico for the first time has unique dialogue if you, yourself, are what the Palico would consider a “talking cat” (though most miqo’te would be rather offended at such a remark!). :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 4, 2021

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

All job quests from ARR happen in the ARR, so no changes from the story is reflected.

Even if you have done big things in expansions, everyone will treat you as a newbie adventurer,
who wants to be a Lancer/Pugilist/Archer etc...

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regalingualius posted:

They don't at all. Only MSQs really respond to other things you've done, that's how the game keeps track of time. So like when you do job quests or other old quests (raid series or whatever) that may involve main quest characters, it just ignores any changes.

One particular fun example is the level 50 culinarian quest, (2.5 spoilers) which involves cooking a meal for the visiting Sultana Nanamo of UI'dah, and never acknowledges that a) she knows you personally nor b) she may be poisoned and thought dead at the time!

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Veotax posted:

Job quests canonically take place when they were released, so no. It's also why if you go pick up an ARR class after you should be known all over as a Big Goddamn Hero the NPCs will act like you're a nobody newbie adventurer.

There are some exceptions to this, but they're from a some later expansion job quests and only involve some minor dialogue changes.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Eorzea must needs be ruled by one who recognizes the efficacy of ivermectin against the eikon Covid.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Quests are on rails and as mentioned are in a time stasis capsule if you come back to them when in a later expansion, but they are very good at adding little lines and comments based on what you have done before. There's some wandering NPCs that can appear around the world once you have done the SB raid chain, the Rising has Severian refer to you as his apprentice if you are an Alchemist, the Rising journalist NPC remembers you if you were around for the FF13 crossover way back in the day, the recurring holiday event NPCs remember you participating in previous events, etc.

Makes the world feel a bit more lived in that way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

As much as I hated the ARR dragoon quest (I just felt superfluous, in other job quests even if it's someone else's story you're helping them out or inspiring them, while here you were on the sidelines of the two characters' drama), it paid off in HW every time someone started gushing over the Azure Dragoon and he's look at me and say "dude, you've already got one here."

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Still working my way through all the post-2.0 ARR content and having a blast. I'm really starting to get a feel for the game and am less running around like a total newb. I'm maining WHM still. I just got out of a Titan (Hard) where literally all of the DPS got themselves killed to mechanics and me, the other healer, and the tanks finished the last two phases basically on our own.

It was a blast.

e:

Also I finished my relic weapon for WHM. I was expecting it to be way worse of a grind based upon comments in the thread. It wasn't too bad. It probably helps that I get nearly instant queues as a healer. I'm sure doing it over and over gets old fast, though.

Is there any use for the relic weapons? It seems they can't be put in the armoire and can't be used as a glam, but I already have a better weapon.

Pobrecito fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 5, 2021

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Once a new expansion comes out they're basically just cool appearances. During the expansion they're content for the people that want something aside from just raiding, and will be BiS when completed.

There's replicas you can buy for the appearance (ARR's vendor is the minor NPC that's next to Gerolt), and those can go into the Glamour dresser. ARR's relic can also be used to quick start the HW relic, but that's the only time it's worked like that. (I think you'll want to bring your relic to someone in Mor Dhona before doing that or discarding it, but I can't remember off hand who, unfortunately.)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Quote is not edit.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Speaking of, just what the hell does go into the armoire? I’ve tried the level 50/60 job sets you get from the capstone of ARR/HW, but nada.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Any gear from the seasonal events, the subscription bonuses, achievement rewards and the level 50 class quest sets. Specifically the ilvl 50 stuff that you get at 45 and the chest piece at 50, the ilvl 90 recolor stuff from the coffer cannot go into the armoire.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015

Onean posted:

Any gear from the seasonal events, the subscription bonuses, achievement rewards and the level 50 class quest sets. Specifically the ilvl 50 stuff that you get at 45 and the chest piece at 50, the ilvl 90 recolor stuff from the coffer cannot go into the armoire.

Uh, I'm a little confused here. Isn't the reward for the level 50 class quests the ilvl90 recolor stuff?

If those cannot go into the armoire, do I have to basically keep them in my bags or glamour dresser basically if I want to keep them for their looks?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

shoc77 posted:

Uh, I'm a little confused here. Isn't the reward for the level 50 class quests the ilvl90 recolor stuff?

If those cannot go into the armoire, do I have to basically keep them in my bags or glamour dresser basically if I want to keep them for their looks?

Yes. It's really stupid but none of the job gear goes into the armoire after the first set.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I guess I should have just called it the 2.0 AF set instead of the level 50 set. The other AF sets you get at the max level for the expansion, and that's just what my mind defaulted to.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
To avoid folks getting stuck with insufficient gear to do the 2.x MSQ they give you both the original 50 and modified 90 sets up front now. The former do go in the Armoire. The 90 sets were originally separately obtained. It's clunky but not something that comes up in later expansions.

One of the icons in the upper right of the item/equipment window lights up if the item can go in the Armoire.

If you're trying to clean up space and a job set can't be put in the Armoire, go talk to a Calamity Savager npc and see if they have it for sale (there are housing estate NPCs who have a slightly more limited selection as well). Salvagers let you cheaply repurchase some quest/event/job gear later for a small sum, so in a lot of cases if you don't need job gear you can just toss it out and pick it back up later if you want it for glamour.

And if you did the Zodiac chain all the way through to Zeta, I am impressed, that is arguably the worst relic grind of the four. There's an epilogue quest from a npc near Gerolt that gets you a few final goodies.

Once you finish Zeta and as you progress through relics for any future expansions, you can cheaply buy replica weapons for each step for glamour. The only actual use for completed relic weapons once you start getting higher item level replacements is the first step of the HW anima relic can be skipped if you exchange a Zeta. This used to save a big fate grind but that step is pretty trivial these days.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?
I just made it to Endwalker and lost my sprout. :toot:

What a wild ride. Post-ARR dragged a bit because I desperately wanted to unlock Astrologian, but I've been completely hooked on the story otherwise. I started at around the same time as Asmongold did, I think the first week of July or so. Without skipping anything at all really, and enjoying my time, I'm sitting at well in excess of 200 hours of time played. It's been worth every penny. I made a lot of cool new online friends along the way too. :shobon:

My friends told me "Welcome to Tearbringers", knowing how much I cried in Heavensward. I am afraid.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/866636370054479892/883875466509946910/unknown.png

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Man this game loves to whiplash back and forth from "Hey, looking pretty good, adventurer!" to "YOU ARE A CIRCUS CLOWN" doesn't it? I should figure out glamours.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Just only do glamours

Nothing more

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

angerbeet posted:

Man this game loves to whiplash back and forth from "Hey, looking pretty good, adventurer!" to "YOU ARE A CIRCUS CLOWN" doesn't it? I should figure out glamours.

Yeah, that way you never have to stop being a circus clown.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Glamour itself as a base construct is very straightforward, it just gets a bit tricky once you start setting up standardized glamour plates or want different jobs to have different looks on shared gear.

To get a feel for it as a base level, just get some glamour prisms and manually glamour over pieces you don't like the look of while having both items in your inventory. You can then get into storing those good looking base pieces in the glamour dresser, then finally shift into making and using plates.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

TBH I'd start off just going directly to the glamour dresser and never applying a prism directly ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Qwertycoatl posted:

TBH I'd start off just going directly to the glamour dresser and never applying a prism directly ever.

In my mind it's good to build up the base sense for how it works with the gear and dyes, then go into the plates, which can be confusing even for folks who are used to the UI and menus in the game.

Plus it's good to not frame the feature entirely in context of plates since there's certainly plenty of occasions where you just need to do a spot adjustment and not go through the process to make or update plates or full outfits.