Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Advent Horizon posted:

I hate to break it to you but most trailers have suspensions.

A properly secured aircraft is fine being trailered. It’s done all the time. I, personally, have seen trailers specifically set up for hauling operable helicopters.

The French didn't have too much of a problem shuttling helicopters around on trucks and converted cars in Algeria, over what were charitably called "roads".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

That helicopters are trailered and trailering helicopters being bad for them can be both true.

I've been flying helicopters for 17 years I know the difference between time maintenance and calendar maintenance. All the places I've been involved with forecast their flight hours for the year and budget accordingly.

The only times I've seen helicopters on a trailer are if they're too broke to fly or if they are a sprayer operation. Both military and civilian employers I have had routinely fly helicopters halfway across the country to fly them to maintenance depots rather than put them on a semi trailer.

And I've never encountered the severe jolts of a badly pitted road when I've been out flying.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

PeterCat posted:

And I've never encountered the severe jolts of a badly pitted road when I've been out flying.
How about the severe jolts of hitting a bridge? :v:

This is all a bit academic, because certainly flying that helicopter instead of driving it into a bridge would have been cheaper, assuming it isn't broken/is capable of flight.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Someone in Milwaukee set up a camera to catch people who suck at driving through this roundabout. Some of the videos are pretty long, but they at least time stamp where the good stuff is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM1gUZ9yoRM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zsoi3jzXAk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnE61T0fQcc

This looks like the roundabout. Maybe a Milwaukee goon can fill us in on why so many people crash here.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I don't know anything about the situation there but to me it looks like the road used to be straight and people forget about the roundabout or maybe there is insufficient signage to warn them that the situation has changed. The turn also seems a bit blind, hidden behind the bridge on the downhill.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

jfc

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Looks like the Viaduct where people get speeding was built in 2001/2002 and the roundabout was created as part of the project:

https://onmilwaukee.com/articles/sixthstreet

20 years and people are still losing their poo poo on that roundabout.

Edit: I submitted the roundabout as a Park on Google Maps.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I’m guessing the roundabout was meant to stop people from accelerating onto or off of the bridge

Which it still does, but probably not in the way it was intended

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Two times in a five day span I had someone behind me decide that going 25 mph on a residential street was too slow so they passed me and sped off doing at least 40. :(

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I don't think it is the roundabout that's the issue here, more people not being able to negotiate the corner before it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

You Am I posted:

I don't think it is the roundabout that's the issue here, more people not being able to negotiate the corner before it.

Yeah it looks like there's a porkchop there that sneaks up on them for some reason.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

You Am I posted:

Street View is no substitute for actually being there but it seems to me the problem is you can see the rest of southbound 6th Street beyond the roundabout from well back on bridge, but the crest of the bridge hides the grass and the curb until you're right up on top of the turn.

Looking at this for the first time, if you overlook the warning signs, can you really even tell that the intersection is there?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I doubt that's much of a problem at somewhat legal speeds, at 100mph, yeah that might be an issue.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

what if it's 2am and you're drunk

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hey that's why I bought a tesla man

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

That road has a 30 mph limit. :wtc:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That road has a 30 mph limit. :wtc:

The road has a 30mph limit but is designed like a 45-55mph road (arguably faster). Well, until the curve. American traffic engineering at its loving finest.
Stop building wide as gently caress roads that you want people to go slow on.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

nm posted:

The road has a 30mph limit but is designed like a 45-55mph road (arguably faster). Well, until the curve. American traffic engineering at its loving finest.

Yeah, it's stupid that people are going that fast on a 30 mph road, but it's almost equally stupid that a 30 mph road is designed that way.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Yeah, it's stupid that people are going that fast on a 30 mph road, but it's almost equally stupid that a 30 mph road is designed that way.

It's designed that way because it's a bridge.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Deteriorata posted:

It's designed that way because it's a bridge.

Paint the lanes thinner, add cubs on the outside.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nm posted:

but then my hummer won't fit

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
First Model S Plaid fatalities?

https://www.wfla.com/news/pinellas-county/two-killed-after-tesla-model-s-crashes-into-palm-harbor-home/

Ran a stop sign at high speed and crashed into a house. Killed one passenger and one person in the home.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The former is because of the latter though. Regardless of what some apparent believer in the power of wishful thinking puts on a sign, a wide, flat, straight road is always a fast road. That is not a 30 MPH road in any universe, and people should not be judged for exceeding a limit that was never correct for the road. The whole area needs to be reconfigured to fix it properly, but a short term fix would be some warning signs to interrupt the straight view down the next road and some of those big flappy stick things they use for HOV lanes to narrow the lanes and reduce speeds.

Truga posted:

but then my hummer won't fit
Obviously assuming you're joking, but I have actually seen a lot of people complain about this kind of poo poo in my area as Akron has been narrowing lanes when they rebuild roads to make room for bike lanes and better sidewalks, so for anyone who may feel the need to respond to that claim remind them that a standard commercial truck is 8-8.5 feet wide so their little 7.5 foot wide toy should have no trouble fitting anywhere a delivery truck or ambulance fits.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

StormDrain posted:

Paint the lanes thinner, add cubs on the outside.
Because then everyone would slow down to make fun of them? :haw:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
They're terrible on the road

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Driving into work this morning when the rain was real heavy I saw some absolutely clown-level driving going on. Sections of the dual carriageway near my place have a lot of standing water when the rain hits hard and fast and I've seen so many people's cars start to aquaplane...

This happened somewhere else but the driver clearly wasn't being careful.

https://twitter.com/SurreyPolice/status/1437802974059847687?s=20

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Cool, guess I'm about to see 500 "you on here bro" posts on the VW fb group I'm in.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
poo poo's going to get even more wild as these people that have absolutely no business driving 500hp+ EVs in the first place start running their tires down to nothing.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Drive is probably lucky because of him driving in a right hand drive country

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Has driving got particularly worrisome for anybody else over the last year? I'm wondering if coronavirus has actually caused unnoticed neurological disorders in people and it's manifesting itself in shittier driving. Or the slow collapse of society is leading to more anger behind the wheel. I haven't seen carelessness or recklessness like this in 20 years.

Yesterday I had 3 people pull out in front of me out of businesses and scare the poo poo out of me. Guy on the highway swerving through traffic at 85 in a 55. 6 cars driving without headlights after dark. One driver managed to place his car perpendicular into a turn lane and block a lane of traffic. Left turner ran a left turn light causing 6 lanes of traffic to freak out. Lady driving 35 in the 50 in the left most lane, not even on her phone, just kinda staring straight ahead. Angry people riding the asses of other vehicles even though there's nowhere for anyone to go.

I actually ordered a dashcam because I feel like I'm on borrowed time here before someone drives into me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I've noticed it, and it's not just driving. Lots of people are at or near a stress breaking point and are using even poorer than normal decision making skills. Just look at the weekly-or-more-frequent pace of airline passengers assaulting flight crew or other passengers.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The Bronco Sport probably isn't ready for Black Bear Pass. Especially if you go the wrong way and then try to turn around.

quote:

San Miguel County Sheriff
8 hours ago
*Black Bear Pass and Bridal Veil Rd open since 10am Sunday after being closed to vehicle traffic at 745am due to vehicle rollover. The pass re-opened after the vehicle was cleared. Thank you for your patience. See below for details.

230pm Deputies have learned that the women were driving up Bridal Veil Road and entered the one-way Black Bear Pass going the wrong way. The passenger told Deputies they did not see the sign indicating the beginning of the one way pass. After a couple of switchbacks they decided it was best to turn around. The passenger then stepped of the vehicle to help the driver navigate, and while backing up, two of the wheels went high enough on the embankment to cause the vehicle to begin to roll. The 2021 Ford Bronco rolled off the cliff an estimated 400 feet, ejecting the driver, the dog, and the vehicle's engine before coming to a stop.

1045am Dog update: 1 year-old golden doodle "Chewy" treated for minor injuries, doing well.
10am According to initial reports, driver is an out of state 23 year-old female who was ejected and suffered serious injuries. Her passenger was out of the vehicle when rollover occurred and not injured, and a dog was ejected and being treated at a local vet. Fortunately, no hikers or drivers of other vehicles were killed or injured by this falling car or associated debris.

Sheriff Masters wishes to thank TFPD, Telluride Marshal’s Deputies, and CSP for their efficient response and care and extends his best wishes to the driver for a good recovery from her serious injuries. Sheriff Masters also wants to remind everyone, “Black Bear Pass is an extremely dangerous road and should only be driven by experienced off-road drivers in appropriate off-road vehicles. Legally, a 16 year-old who got his driver’s license a few hours prior, may attempt to drive the pass in his grandmother’s 1980’s sedan. That doesn’t mean it’s safe to do so."

940am Deputies and wrecker on scene; estimated time for road and pass to be re-open is by 1030am.

830am Black Bear Pass and Bridal Veil Rd are closed due to vehicle rollover. Will reopen after wrecker removes vehicle. Unknown ETA.

Driver treated on scene by Telluride Fire Protection District medics and transported to Telluride Regional Medical Center for further care. #blackbearpass #bridalveil #telluride

Photos courtesty of Telluride Fire Protection District

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The snark of Colorado sheriff reporting lol.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Wear your seatbelt, folks

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zero One posted:

The Bronco Sport probably isn't ready for Black Bear Pass. Especially if you go the wrong way and then try to turn around.

Dog is fine :woof:

Is safety and training really stressed in off-roading communities? If it's anything like guns, I imagine a shiny brochure and a (virtual) room full of self-identifying off-roaders could convince a novice driver they have the right tools.

Not that I wouldn't Google my route to ensure it's not "[Place]'s Most Dangerous Road."

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 27, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

Is safety and training really stressed in off-roading communities?

It is in certain groups, not in others.

I'm assuming this person was a solo vehicle because while I've seen some bad decision making in groups, I've never seen a group running a trail literally all go the wrong way on something as well known as that trail.

Also from what I've seen, that pass is not actually all that demanding in terms of vehicle performance (articulation, etc) in good conditions like this. The difficulty and danger is entirely wrapped up in how tight and narrow the trail is, combined with the extremely high penalty for loving up. That Bronco Sport may well have been able to make it across the trail, driven the right direction by a competent driver.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Dog is fine :woof:

Is safety and training really stressed in off-roading communities? If it's anything like guns, I imagine a shiny brochure and a (virtual) room full of self-identifying off-roaders could convince a novice driver they have the right tools.

Not that I wouldn't Google my route to ensure it's not "[Place]'s Most Dangerous Road."

From my limited experience with off-roaders there's a whole lot of the equivalent of the people that insist if you don't have this exact AR setup and Glock setup and this name-brand rig and this particular brand of plates you'll be Dead In The Streets. Which is also dumb, but at least it probably dissuades some people from doing legit dangerous stuff.

I will say that I have had people say "Well you can't do x or y with your Subaru but if you wanted you could probably go up z pass" which is the healthy and friendly way to get someone into a community. On the other hand it also makes me want to get a lift kit and clutch-type limited slip front and rear and reinforced axles and control arms to match the lift and a dual-range gearbox and then all of a sudden I've put together a shopping list I'll probably never be able to afford to make a worse offroader than a $5,000 XJ just to prove a point.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I bet she doesn't feel it right now but she's lucky. Definitely seems like the same kind of mistake that get solo hikers and paddlers killed. I recently got into kayaking, and it seems like the community at large is pretty "boring" and will urge caution all the time, even if not every paddler is doing the right thing.

I don't do ANY wilderness activity solo TBH; it's kind of a pain in the rear end, but I just can't bring myself to go on a lot of trails solo; I guess my logic is that there's some safety in numbers, if at least identify and solve potential problems faster. I don't "off-road" either, other than the occasional trail between hikes or something -- all my "actual" off-roading was done in a LMTV or HMMWV years ago. Getting my first off-road lessons in top-heavy up-armored military trucks gave me a healthy respect for spotting as an art form.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
New road threat just dropped.

https://twitter.com/passthebeano/status/1442165554614177794

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Like big heavy cars that can hit 60 in under 4 seconds with self driving tech that constantly tries to pile itself into pedestrians and when they crash light themselves on fire that you can't put out unless you dunk them in tanks of water isn't bad enough. lmao.