Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Apropos of nothing it's weird how all their branches are where bike and car dealers *still* like to congregate - I've never really thought about it before but they do always seem to crop up in little clusters, I assume because of some kind of planning permission thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1420037476782067719?s=20

:stonk:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i had a boss once who grew up in cornwall and he said there was an old git who lived on his street and he and the other lads there used to perch his reliant robin up on top of his garden wall of a night hehehe

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Anyone in Northern Ireland know anything about Hyperfast NI (Fibrus)?

Got a letter about them doing firbe broadband in my area but i know nothing about them other than a lot bloody depressing reviews that i read online.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
On the one hand, only people who've had really bad experiences bother posting reviews online.

On the other hand, if you've already got reasonable broadband, why risk that by attempting to switch to some other company?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

On the one hand, only people who've had really bad experiences bother posting reviews online.

On the other hand, if you've already got reasonable broadband, why risk that by attempting to switch to some other company?

Thanks for the sanity check. :tipshat:

Still got 11 months left on Sky, not as good as BT but it's half the price.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Thinking a lot about Devon on the latest KJB episode saying that left wing conspiracy theories tend, on the whole, to be things that actually happened in publicly available documents.

And even if you point any of that out, you're still somehow a crazy commie doing an antisemitism.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Thinking a lot about Devon on the latest KJB episode saying that left wing conspiracy theories tend, on the whole, to be things that actually happened in publicly available documents.

And even if you point any of that out, you're still somehow a crazy commie doing an antisemitism.

If you want your mates to think you're absolutely batshit insane talk about like three things the CIA openly admits to having done.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Incoming: The Bins TM crisis

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-bin-collection-hgv-driver-shortage-b1913827.html

quote:

Bin collection within 24 local councils has been disrupted due to self-isolation rules and a lack of workers to drive the lorries.

Local government leaders have called on the home secretary Priti Patel to relax immigration rules for heavy goods vehicle drivers to ease the disruption.

The Local Government Association said that while most councils have been able to keep their collections running, some – such as Manchester City council and Cambridge country council – are having to reduce services.

A spokesperson added: “These issues are partly due to the problems with a shortage of HGV drivers, which is affecting other parts of the economy as well.”

They pointed to some of the quick-fix measures the private sector is turning to, such as hiking drivers wages, saying: “[This] risks exacerbating issues in the public sector, with the rises potentially creating a retention as well as a recruitment problem for councils and their contractors.”

etc

This is bad for Jermy Crobin

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This is bad for Jermy Crobin

Jermy Crow-bin, wants to put the Corvids in the bin

But we demand more Corvids! More Corvids!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Is it technically scabbing if I rock up at the bins depot and offer to drive the dustcart for free, fulfilling a childhood dream?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
As long as you don't empty any bins I think you're good

Is the bin-emptying bit part of the dream?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just find a nice quiet Private Road on the West side of the Isle of Dogs, early in the morning and slowly make your way down, braking every 20m and pointlessly raising the hydraulic lift at the back.
Bonus points if you do it Tuesday or Wednesday AM when it'll be pretty warm and they'll all have their windows open.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I like it when they do the recycling really early so one gets the harmonious sound of bottles being deposited into the lorry.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

As long as you don't empty any bins I think you're good

Is the bin-emptying bit part of the dream?

No, but pushing the button that lifts the bins in was - I feel like we're going to get into one of those rabbinical arguments about what constitutes making fire on the sabbath.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i wanted to push the button too

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Ok well you're still good as long as you're happy to press the button and share the agony of the lift mechanism as it impotently grasps at thin air, a caricature of its former self reduced to performing a facsimile of its important job as a mere circus act for the amusement of a child

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

How about a gritter lorry?

Torfaen Council made this video a few years ago with a local Elvis impersonator. It's quite funny but to the point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6UerjFCLdI

Here's another Depot song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNqrJIPxYpw

A JCB is born to a Fitter who already has more Engines than he can Bleed in the depot near Middlesbrough. The Machine grows up hungry, steals a ton of stone. Learns how to dig, and rams a car, attempts to run, but in a dramatic twist the Young fitter shot and killed just as another JCB is born.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 4, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I just found this interesting looking website with a mix of online and real life events to do with London:

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/calendar/2021/09/

quote:

About the website
A popular London website focused on a range of topics, but mainly architecture, transport, history and things to do around the city. The more obscure the better.

I miss living in London and having things to do, though I'm glad I wasn't living there for the last 18 months!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 4, 2021

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They sold models called Heinkel and Messerschmitt?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Those were the manufacturers, I've always wanted a Messerschmitt, preferably the sporty 4 wheel variety.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I used to fancy the isetta too, but I recently found out Jimmy savile was one of the more famous owners.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I had no idea they made cars. Makes sense, I suppose.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just saw my first poppy-day advert (from RBL) in the wild on Facebook. Isn't it over 2 months away?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's beginning to look a lot like armistice
everywhere you go
take a look at the village church, the ancient stone has again been worked
with soldiers' names that seldom few know.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

best start racking up those respects soon as you can

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just saw my first poppy-day advert (from RBL) in the wild on Facebook. Isn't it over 2 months away?

War Christmas comes earlier every year.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I was in Morrison’s an hour ago and they had a big cadburys puds display.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Hilary Mantel in a La Repubblica interview for a book tour duplexed in the Guardian posted:

She added: “It is barbaric that a tiny minority should take command of public discourse and terrify those who disagree with them.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/sep/04/hilary-mantel-i-am-ashamed-to-live-in-nation-that-elected-this-government

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

War Christmas comes earlier every year.

Explaining to Americans like in that film with bollocks vs dog's bollocks, except it's War Christmas vs War on Christmas

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

She specifically states "Being a woman means a lot to me. I do not want my womanhood confiscated in print", so in that spirit: You're a oval office, Hilary Mantel.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I mean... She staggers so close to an understanding there.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

I absolutely thought that quote was going to refer to the British press based on the opening of the article, but lol at me for expecting that from anything printed in the Guardian.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

I had no idea they made cars. Makes sense, I suppose.

I mean not like the Bundesrepublik was in the market for strategic bombers ( and indeed looks like they were banned from producing aircraft postwar to make very sure of that). Mitsubishi also did and do make all sorts of stuff.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I miss living in London and having things to do, though I'm glad I wasn't living there for the last 18 months!

I've just done exactly that and tbqh I'm glad I've been here with lots of food options and not the rear end end of Cambridge with one Tesco and 6 places on justeat. Especially when there were/are shortages because I can usually find whatever somewhere if I look around.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

feedmegin posted:

I mean not like the Bundesrepublik was in the market for strategic bombers ( and indeed looks like they were banned from producing aircraft postwar to make very sure of that). Mitsubishi also did and do make all sorts of stuff.

Yamaha is cool story. They made Hammond style organs. During the war the Japanese state said "nah we're going to give you some tools to make engine parts for fighter planes". Once the war was over the state didn't want its machine tools back so Yamaha went back to making Hammond organs, but also decided to use its engine making experience make a rip off version of the DKW 125 —a German motorcycle that had been imported during the war and was a huge hit in the postwar. Yamaha's YA-1 was a huge success and that's how you end up with this odd company that makes keyboards and motorbikes.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Yes, a lot of the (in)famous German aircraft makers had odd sidelines in the 1950s because they were explicitly prevented from building military aircraft and the market for civilian aircraft was both extremely limited and dominated (by both market forces and political pressure) by manufacturers from outside Germany.

At the same time there was a massive demand for small hyper-economical cars in Germany and aircraft makers are good at making lightweight, aerodynamic machines. So BMW licensed the Isetta and Messerschmitt and Heinkel made their own bubble cars. Messerschmitt and Junkers also made pre-fab buildings (on aircraft principles of construction) to address another acute shortage in post-war Germany.

These became very popular in the UK in the aftermath of the Suez Crisis, as did homegrown microcars like the Bond and Reliant. My grandmother graduated from a Lambretta scooter to a Heinkel Kabine in about 1956. The sudden popularity of these globular German oddities, putt-putting along at the front of traffic jams, was a major impetus for the creation of the Mini, which was required to offer the same footprint and economy as the German bubble cars but with more practicality and better performance.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Mitsubishi makes good air conditioners. Or is that Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.

gently caress me what a load of whining tripe. She might as well have just gone full white identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Petition to change the word from "mansplaining" to "Manteling"