Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im having trouble imagining what public domain short stories levar burton could possibly be reading that dont make the family friendly cut while neil gaimans do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Uncle Wemus posted:

I watched a ton of boomerang when I was unemployed and I gotta say Hanna barbara made a ton of absolute trash

I know, right? Some of them are so bad they're almost hypnotic as you wait for something to happen.

Some Guy TT posted:

thinking about how a few months ago someone tried to reboot the expanded hanna barbera universe with a scooby doo movie and barely anyone even noticed it happened lol

It takes a lot to screw up the Scooby-doo formula, but they managed.

Speaking of, Ultra Instinct Shaggy is canon now.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/gabrielroth/status/1433906065331171331

thinking about how a few months ago someone tried to reboot the expanded hanna barbera universe with a scooby doo movie and barely anyone even noticed it happened lol

however,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qO7-Zr0MzI

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Sheffield signed the Great Barrington Declaration

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

ok that actually made me laugh out loud at a cartoon which I haven’t done since Clone High

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

the series they did before this was so much less ugly looking. i'm not really into caring about the integrity of scooby doo's art but looking like family guy sucks rear end

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

velma has more characterization in the first ten seconds than she does over the entire original series its utterly insane how much of the pop culture footprint of these characters is literally just a shared hallucination of children high on sugar coated cereal watching cartoons on saturday morning

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

ruby and spears were the genuine talent at HB

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

As usual, the "The longer the series goes on, the more we learn about the author's fetishes" thing is true of basically every sci-fi/fantasy series.

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Damane

https://sot.fandom.com/wiki/Mord-Sith

BDSM happens in literally the second book.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is bdsm good or bad

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Stairmaster posted:

Is bdsm good or bad

depends on how empowering it is

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this was funny, it's a shame that family guy + american dad lips are standard now i guess

Some Guy TT posted:

velma has more characterization in the first ten seconds than she does over the entire original series its utterly insane how much of the pop culture footprint of these characters is literally just a shared hallucination of children high on sugar coated cereal watching cartoons on saturday morning

also like you said, they're using meta devices and collective imagination to provide character jokes. i guess daphne exists as a personality now

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Some Guy TT posted:

im having trouble imagining what public domain short stories levar burton could possibly be reading that dont make the family friendly cut while neil gaimans do

'I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream' is the one that leapt most readily to mind because it's the last short story I read.
'Harrison Bergeron' is probably close enough to family safe, though uncomfortable for capital (lmao, we read it in middle school).

Are these not public domain yet?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

'I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream' is the one that leapt most readily to mind because it's the last short story I read.

I read this only once, over 20 years ago, and I still get creeped out about it from time to time.

been rewatching Batman beyond and I have to say mad Stan is a hell of a character

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/RenjiTheFox_/status/1433793250649939969

there's really no need to click this link

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

gently caress you I won't do what you tell me.

NOOOOO

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

drat horror queefs posted:

Melancholia would have been better if the name of the planet wasn't literally Melancholia. The metaphor was so on the nose that it ruined the movie for me.

Science is useless against.... MELANCHOLIA.

I hosed up my life and/or killed myself because of... MELANCHOLIA

Nobody can stop... MELANCHOLIA.

i started watching it because ?

took a break at -- it turns out -- 45 minutes in

there's a whole hour and a loving half left to go and absolutely nothing has actually happened except a rich people wedding and the bride is tired and how dare she be tired, that's such a waste of money

/e so far this makes more sense as one bad loop (groundhog day style) for Kirsten Dunst's character and oh, 56 minutes in just happened

stringless has issued a correction as of 11:28 on Sep 4, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I was trying to put my finger on why the Netflix Heist Series was so unintentionally funny.

Like the bit on Pappygate episode how it wasn't even a Heist since the whole work culture of places like Buffalo Trace was how employees
would haul whole bourbon barrels after work and no one at the company seemed to notice.

The local Podunk sheriff's department interviewed 120 people after the incident without producing a single useful lead.

The hilarity how the locals who did the heist didn't realize the telecom companies turn over cell phone records like text message history
all the time to law enforcement.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/tv/whiskey/netflix-pappygate-heist-bourbon-king-review-toby-curtsinger-buffalo-trace/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

'Harrison Bergeron' is probably close enough to family safe, though uncomfortable for capital (lmao, we read it in middle school).

Are these not public domain yet?

Unless it was written before 1926 it isn’t public domain in the US yet.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Huh.

He could read Starlight, I think that one's family safe.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

Is bdsm good or bad

Uh... Let's see. Uh... the exports of BDSM are numerous in amount. One thing they export is corn... or, as the Indians call it, maize. Another famous Indian was Crazy Horse. In conclusion, BDSM is a land of contrasts

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

Huh.

He could read Starlight, I think that one's family safe.

Also doctorow released most of his YA stuff as Creative Commons, there has to be some short stories in there.

Burton always has been a pretty heavy self promoter, which I can’t blame him for, but does indicate this might be less about actually being unable to find short stories and more him looking for funding to license the stories he wants.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The man is a living avatar of the concept of literacy, he can do whatever he wants if it ain't hurtin' no one.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jeez he looks like poo poo.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lol the main female protag becomes queen wizard because she's so good at being spanked after her experiences as a damane sub.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Uh... Let's see. Uh... the exports of BDSM are numerous in amount. One thing they export is corn... or, as the Indians call it, maize. Another famous Indian was Crazy Horse. In conclusion, BDSM is a land of contrasts

I support BDS.

DTI

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Toph Bei Fong posted:

quote:

Crazy Horse (in Standard Orthography of the Lakota: Tȟašúŋke Witkó[2] IPA: /tχaˈʃʊ̃kɛ witˈkɔ/, lit. ''His-Horse-Is-Crazy''); (c. 1840 – September 5, 1877)[3] was a Lakota war leader of the Oglala band in the 19th century. He took up arms against the United States federal government to fight against encroachment by white American settlers on Native American territory and to preserve the traditional way of life of the Lakota people. His participation in several famous battles of the Black Hills War on the northern Great Plains, among them the Fetterman Fight in 1866 in which he acted as a decoy and the Battle of the Little Bighorn in 1876 in which he led a war party to victory, earned him great respect from both his enemies and his own people.

Seems more good than bad imo.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

crepeface posted:

lol the main female protag becomes queen wizard because she's so good at being spanked after her experiences as a damane sub.
I'm as horny as the next fucker, but PLEASE be kidding.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

crepeface posted:

quote:

"Jordan is able to take...familiar elements and make them his own, in a powerful novel of wide and complex scope. Open religious and political conflicts add a gritty realism, while the cities and courts provide plenty of drama and splendor. Women have a stronger role than in Tolkien...Each character in this large cast remains distinct....Their adventures are varied, and exciting....The Eye of the World stands alone as a fantasy epic."--Locus

Tubgoat posted:

I wish...

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/The_Great_Hunt/Chapter_40

quote:

They met Liandrin in the Grove, and traveled the Ways to Falme, where they learned Liandrin had tricked them. Elayne and Nynaeve managed to escape, but Egwene was made damane and renamed Tuli, while Min was simply captured. Through a lot of planning, work, and organization, Elayne, Nynaeve and Min were able to free Egwene during the battle of Falme. Egwene's strength in the One Power was drastically heightened by the rigors of her damane duties, but to this day she cannot stand the idea of being collared again.

Toph Bei Fong has issued a correction as of 17:06 on Sep 4, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Tubgoat posted:

she also fends off a bunch of monsters and is "capable" and conniving compared to the other trainwrecks but i'm not joking. senior femwizards also respect her for how well she handles her spankings (by not resisting but by submitting without losing herself).

there's also the previous wizard queen who loses her powers and has to be the personal servant of a cool general who makes her do his laundry and eventually she insists on being the only one who gets to do it (even when she gets some of her power back). they fall in love and get married. i think he also spanks her at some point i don't quite remember.

crepeface has issued a correction as of 17:10 on Sep 4, 2021

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

It's also a thing that lady wizards ("Aes Sedai") will "bond" male warriors ("Warders") to themselves, for mutual protection, gaining super powers and the magic ability to sniff out evil, in exchange for being ordered around by her.

The Green Ajah are the only group of lady wizards who will bond multiple men, and our hero, Rand, the only man wizard, gets bonded to a bunch of ladies.

quote:

In a unique case, channelers Elayne Trakand and Aviendha of the Nine Valleys sept of the Tardaad Aiel bonded Rand al'Thor such that Elayne, Aviendha, and the nonchanneler Min Farshaw all held Rand's bond; the four entered into this arrangement because all three women were in love with Rand and he with them. Another feature unique to this bond is that Rand had already been bonded (involuntarily) by Alanna Mosvani; the placing of the new bond caused Alanna to lose consciousness for three days, but the bonds were otherwise independent of each other and created no connection between Alanna and the other women.

And later in the series, when there are more man wizards ("Asha'man") than just Rand

quote:

As of the later books in the series, Asha'man have discovered their own form of the Warder bond using saidin and have begun bonding women as Warders. In the beginning, married men bonded their wives, primarily for the benefit of being able to "touch base" with her through the bond, but Asha'man later bonded a small number of captured Aes Sedai, much to the consternation of the White Tower. This form of the Warder bond enables the Asha'man to compel a woman with a greater degree of control than that enabled by the saidar bond, while in contrast male channelers are highly resistant to even that lesser degree of influence. Five Asha'man (Damer Flinn, Jahar Narishma, Karldin Manfor, Eben Hopwil, and Naeff) have been bonded (consensually) as Warders by Aes Sedai.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I like Scooby-Doo and will watch a live action Rick and Marty episode starring an 82 year old Christopher Lloyd.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

posting this because of bob ross discourse although it doesnt seem to have anything to do with why this clip was actually posted

https://twitter.com/JakeMGrumbach/status/1433870839158489089

Never knew where the sample came from, amazing

dimhue
Mar 5, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

Jeez he looks like poo poo.

what do you think 82 year olds should look like

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
why do wizard queens have to be spanked? it seems like if I were queen the first thing I would change is the spanking rule

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

indigi posted:

I want to gently caress the borg lady

LETS loving GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol I forgot about the bonding. when rand has sex, the other women he's bonded to start blushing uncontrollably

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The wheel of time books gender and sex roles are still infinitely better than sword of truth's

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

That's such a low bar it might as well be a speed bump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

funny how folks got drawn in by the imagery of adam curtis's stuff and ignored the lack of politics beneath it

quote:

Why Millennial Leftists Have Made a BBC Filmmaker a Cult Hero

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2021/08/adam-curtis-millennial-leftist-progressive-fans/619479/

Curtis is, after all, a BBC journalist in the most traditional sense: Oxbridge educated, older, male, white. He typically refuses to take a political stance in interviews, saying that he distrusts labels and ideologies. When I asked Alan Finlayson, a professor of political and social theory at the U.K.’s University of East Anglia, about Curtis, he told me via email that he has always thought of the documentarian as “rather conservative.” “The general argument [of Curtis’s work] seems to be that history is made by individuals and not larger historical or social forces, that ideas are always to be suspected (especially those of philosophers and scientists), and we shouldn’t trust people with plans for improving things,” Finlayson said. Curtis’s lack of any real analysis of the failures of popular left-wing figures such as Jeremy Corbyn and Bernie Sanders has also attracted criticism, while his refusal to adhere to a single political philosophy has tended to infuriate leftist commentators. (Curtis recently asserted that he is a “progressive” who is “emotionally sympathetic to radicalism,” whatever that means.)