Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Mola Yam posted:

only in like the most fleeting, tenuous way, if i concentrate. also i need to link it to a scene in a movie with him; it needs to be anchored to the lines or music or energy in that scene. i absolutely cannot visualise a "neutral" arnie.

definitely a 1, 1.3333 tops on this scale. 6's are pretty rare too, I think, but yeah, for 95% of my life i thought people were speaking metaphorically when they talked about visualising something. "like, you mean 'conceptualise', right?"

i guess i'm in 6 crew. i had no idea there were people who couldn't see things in their mind's eye, wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

When I was a kid I would sometimes feel these weird shifts in perspective, like things would rush far away or I would seem tiny. And then they just went away. Could it be? could it have been the birds?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

mistermojo posted:

When I was a kid I would sometimes feel these weird shifts in perspective, like things would rush far away or I would seem tiny. And then they just went away. Could it be? could it have been the birds?

I got this a lot throughout my life and it's real fuckin' weird, it's known as Alice in Wonderland syndrome
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Wonderland_syndrome

quote:

Alice in Wonderland syndrome (AIWS), also known as Todd's syndrome or dysmetropsia, is a neuropsychological condition that causes a distortion of perception. People may experience distortions in visual perception of objects such as appearing smaller (micropsia) or larger (macropsia), or appearing to be closer (pelopsia) or farther (teleopsia) away than they actually are. Distortion may also occur for senses other than vision.

for some reason when i'd have these episodes as a kid I would immediately freak out and start compulsively washing my hands until it went away

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

mistermojo posted:

i had this a handful of times as a kid, never since

i guess weed does break your psychic powers rip

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

i guess i'm in 6 crew. i had no idea there were people who couldn't see things in their mind's eye, wtf
I'm also a 6. Couldn't imagine living without being able to visualize images or movies in my head.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Jazerus posted:

lue did a podcast yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1DZMD4T2_I

3. lue is aware of "biological effects" from UAPs and has seen some correlation between "havana syndrome" and birds, but there is no conclusive link

This just seems too on the nose...

WTF would random state department employees and UAPs have to do with this? The latest Havana syndrome reports are from people in Washington DC. It's either hangovers or my pet theory of the combinations of vaccines that are given to people who go into "undeveloped" countries. The anthrax and smallpox vaccines have literally disabled people.

Him bringing this up or agreeing to the idea that they are related now makes me think he is a grifter. "Don't know why some people get weird sicknesses? Well, it's actually cause of UAPs, guys!"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

hmm found this today reckon I'll give it a read

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Toupee Groupie posted:

This just seems too on the nose...

WTF would random state department employees and UAPs have to do with this? The latest Havana syndrome reports are from people in Washington DC. It's either hangovers or my pet theory of the combinations of vaccines that are given to people who go into "undeveloped" countries. The anthrax and smallpox vaccines have literally disabled people.

Him bringing this up or agreeing to the idea that they are related now makes me think he is a grifter. "Don't know why some people get weird sicknesses? Well, it's actually cause of UAPs, guys!"

if you listen to him speak on a podcast or wherever for a few minutes it just becomes painfully obvious that he's either a grifter or saying exactly what someone is telling him to say, aka he's an op or a grifter or both. lue is fun but lol he's not going to ever so anything other than suggest that hey yeah disclosure is just over there and yeah I know a lot more but I can't say because reasons

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

he didn't really say he believed it one way or the other, just that there are government documents that are drawing that conclusion. i think there are a billion wacky theories about "havana syndrome" floating around in the government driven by people trying to see a threat that isn't there - most of them that go public involve russia or china but it doesn't surprise me that somebody pulled birds into that conversation. "correlations" could be as simple as "there was a UAP sighting within a 100 mile radius around the same time that some spook said he had a headache"

lue comes off a little bit sketch sometimes but chris mellon and especially ross coulthart don't and they take him very seriously, so

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 04:17 on Sep 4, 2021

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Jazerus posted:

he didn't really say he believed it one way or the other, just that there are government documents that are drawing that conclusion. i think there are a billion wacky theories about "havana syndrome" floating around in the government driven by people trying to see a threat that isn't there - most of them that go public involve russia or china but it doesn't surprise me that somebody pulled birds into that conversation. "correlations" could be as simple as "there was a UAP sighting within a 100 mile radius around the same time that some spook said he had a headache"

lue comes off a little bit sketch sometimes but chris mellon and ross coulthart don't and they take him very seriously, so

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt on the grifting thing, and the whole "they get mad when I say something I shouldn't" but yeah, if I were the NYT I would be so embarrassed quoting him now.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Im too disillusioned by people like Greer and Corbell to take Lue seriously anymore but I do hope im wrong, it's just the circumstances are there (literal child of the bay of pigs really??) and the progress or actual disclosure is not so meh, he'll either turn out to be the one who reveals the truth or he'll fade away into crank mythology like the rest of them

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Toupee Groupie posted:

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt on the grifting thing, and the whole "they get mad when I say something I shouldn't" but yeah, if I were the NYT I would be so embarrassed quoting him now.

why

they aren't embarrassed at all to quote morons who think russia has a laser sonic headache gun, how is aliens having such a thing any more implausible

e: to be clear i think havana syndrome is bullshit. but people with fed brain don't so it's not surprising for lue to think it's real

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 04:29 on Sep 4, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Jazerus posted:

3. lue is aware of "biological effects" from UAPs and has seen some correlation between "havana syndrome" and birds, but there is no conclusive link

Dear Zeta Reticulans, please give the Cubans the anti gravity drives.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Slavvy posted:

I get the feeling the more you 'know' as in the more facts you have in your memory about what we perceive as reality, the more you think of that reality as being concrete and absolute, the more you get effectively locked out of esp, because esp is somehow tied into the imagining part of the brain and if you can't imagine fantastic things happening then they simply can't. Like how the precognition in dune effectively locks you into just one future and the key to changing said future is to not look in the first place. Basically engineer brain is not compatible with esp and perhaps it dampens the ability of others you interact with as well? So modern society surrounds you with tech 24/7 and there simply isn't the space.

it can't disappear that much since the placebo effect is so powerful

Mola Yam posted:

only in like the most fleeting, tenuous way, if i concentrate. also i need to link it to a scene in a movie with him; it needs to be anchored to the lines or music or energy in that scene. i absolutely cannot visualise a "neutral" arnie.

definitely a 1, 1.3333 tops on this scale. 6's are pretty rare too, I think, but yeah, for 95% of my life i thought people were speaking metaphorically when they talked about visualising something. "like, you mean 'conceptualise', right?"

wtf i'm a 1 - i didn't realize i was a freak for that specifically. like people close their eyes and see pictures? lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So if you saw a bird and someone asked you to draw a picture what do you do

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

this is from early june pre-report but i think it largely stands; whatever Lue is it’s not just a grifter

Wheeee posted:

What is happening right now however should be getting your attention, because whatever it is that's actually going on it's probably pretty important globally. America's government is conducting a managed rollout of information which appears to have begun a few years ago and which has seemingly corroborated a lot of historical events which independently were basically nothing. These Elizondo and Mellon guys are both saying what they’re supposed to prior the release of this report, both Obama and Clinton recently gave the same answer to pre-screened television talk show questions about UFOs, confirming the alleged report that these objects exist and are not any known technology. Over the past handful of years more videos were released and Elizondo has gone from talking to the lunatic fringe to now having interviewers at major news outlets trying to pry information about this upcoming report. Recently the New York Times, CSPAM's beloved newspaper of record, published an article alleging to leak the big reveal of the report, that these objects exist and that they definitively do not belong to America nor is their source known.

So here we are, with a slow drip of information over a handful of years culminating in a soon-to-be released report which purportedly discloses the existence of unknown and possibly non-human technology present on earth. In the lead up to its release there are former high-ranking intelligence officials giving media interviews and two former Presidents giving casual confirmation of the claims on talk TV. There is a coordinated ongoing effort to ease this information and its implications into the public sphere.

What the real question here is, how much do you trust the American government and military? Because all of the evidence discussed or released thus far comes from the US military and there's no way to verify its authenticity, nor will there be. We're entering an era of cheap and capable automated drone technology, the things are loving everywhere these days and are also a major focus of military research and development. Maybe all that alleged radar and other sensor data is fake bullshit and the military is creating cover for more conventional technology they've got all over the globe and which other nations are beginning to notice. Who knows, there's all kinds of reasons to lie about this stuff and that seems to be the most likely explanation, fun as alien shitposting is.

They might actually not be lying is the thing, and if they're not lying the implications are enormous. These aren't cases of mylar balloons or camera glare, there's substantial radar, sensor, and visual data collected over long time spans which supposedly exists.

Either the American government is running a pretty major op and lying or humanity's fundamental understanding of reality is going to be changing in the coming years.

My money's on lies, but my heart belongs to the UAPs.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

fine, grifter with heel and mark characteristics

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Vomik posted:

wtf i'm a 1 - i didn't realize i was a freak for that specifically. like people close their eyes and see pictures? lol

This poo poo is breaking my brain. I can visualize what Arnie, a shovel, etc. look like. That visualization is a concept that takes place somewhere in my mind. I don’t close my eyes and see an actual red star like I’m on mushrooms or something.

The test is whack right? At the very least it’s misleading.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Fly Ricky posted:

This poo poo is breaking my brain. I can visualize what Arnie, a shovel, etc. look like. That visualization is a concept that takes place somewhere in my mind. I don’t close my eyes and see an actual red star like I’m on mushrooms or something.

The test is whack right? At the very least it’s misleading.

:sickos:

there's a more detailed test here:

https://aphantasia.com/vviq/

it really did my head in for a while, realising that human perception is so vastly variable and most people don't even realise it, just go around assuming everyone else is experiencing things almost the same as they are

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Mind's eye is just imagination from my understanding. How well can you day dream or create mental images. You don't actually see with your two physical eyes. You use your "third eye".

Decalcify your pineal gland.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I guess I just don't see a point in waiting for whatever anyone like lue has to say about it now. It sure looks like disclosure is happening, and if its happening people like him probably are just there to do whatever he's doing. Everything is noise until then, read some books/look at the skies and see what lines up eventually if ever.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
given the recent meandering of the thread, it's noteworthy to me that i recently stumbled upon a local ayahuasca ceremony ring, and i'm excited to puke my guts out and talk to/commune with the source, or whatever

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Fried Watermelon posted:

Mind's eye is just imagination from my understanding. How well can you day dream or create mental images. You don't actually see with your two physical eyes. You use your "third eye".

Decalcify your pineal gland.

so i've heard people talk about pineal gland calcification whenever they're talking about extra-sensory stuff but is this actually a thing that shows up on brain scans? you'd think "pineal gland is twice as big because it's covered in poo poo" would light up like a festivus pole

edit: holy dang it actually does

quote:

The pineal gland has a predilection for calcification which is invariably histologically present in adults but rarely seen below the age of 10 years 6. Calcification is visible on lateral skull x-rays in 50-70% of adults 6. The habenular commissure also calcifies and is visible as a small C-shaped (open part posteriorly) density above and in front of the pineal calcification.
https://radiopaedia.org/articles/pineal-gland

blatman has issued a correction as of 06:20 on Sep 4, 2021

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Mola Yam posted:

Psychedelics, weed, and certain frames of mind sober can give me a six on that thing. Else, just passively like right now I can get a four or so. Honestly there is more information w/ weed and psychedelics, even. Like, full synaesthesia occasionally.

vOv

tbqh it developed over time. It used to be really frustrating that I couldn't visualize stuff, but cannabis use coincided with it becoming more vivid, and more or less staying that way.

I think you can develop these things, i just couldn't provide a syllabus to follow.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

julietthecat posted:

Ok so all forums suck, or maybe you jerks are just hiding the good ones. What are some good recent books to check out? Looking for something original and interesting, and preferably with a systematic approach (i.e. isn't just a bunch of rambling anecdotes).

Most recently read Mad Tonnies' The Cryptoterrestrials, which is a little original but definitely rambling.

I highly recommend UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go On The Record by Leslie Kean. She wrote it in like 2011 and is one of the journos that broke that first NYT story back in 2017. She is a big reason we are at where we are now with this subject. The book almost entirely stays away from any kind of speculation and just reviews several cases that have multiple very credible witnesses with other corroborating evidence such as FOIA released docs etc. In fact, I read that book back in like 2014 and it was responsible for completely changing my mind on this whole subject. It's the book I recommend to anybody I meet that is at all interested in the subject but afraid of all the woo woo quackery.

GWBBQ posted:

I know the cost is not a drop in the bucket at $500 US for all the parts and double that for a ready-to-go prebuilt one, but I really wish there were more all-sky cameras out there doing science and maybe spotting UAP so at least they're on camera even if they remain unidentified.

This is what Avi Loeb's new Galileo project is doing. He is basically setting up as many high powered cameras/telescopes with as many other sensors as he can do cheaply and plans to put up as many as he can get money for. Every bit of data will be put on the internet for free for analysis by anyone. He had some rich dude(s) donate several million to get the project going. If my powerball ticket wins he's getting a big donation. He's an astronomy chair at Harvard and plans to approach this the right way. He even said if anybody brought him previous evidence he doesn't want it as he wants to start from first principles/clean slate and do a true scientific investigation. If anybody outside the government ends up cracking this there is a good chance it will be him with this project.

D-Pad has issued a correction as of 07:13 on Sep 4, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

things are moving rather quickly for something so large with so much institutional and cultural inertia against it

it just feels like the last three months have been an eternity and that the issue is dead in the water because the internet and modern consumerism have turned us all into addicts needing instant gratification and endless novelty

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Jazerus posted:

lue comes off a little bit sketch sometimes but chris mellon and especially ross coulthart don't and they take him very seriously, so

Christopher Mellon being involved and saying the things he says is the number one thing that makes me believe all of this. This dude was a very serious DoD/Intelligence careerist who rose very high up in the department and worked for multiple administrations. He is in no way, shape, or form whacky. He also happens to be a Mellon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellon_family) and does not need the money at all. Not to mention if he wanted to grift he could make WAAAAY more going the typical DoD -> lobbyist/think tank/corporate board route, especially at the level he was at in the DoD.

Edit: To be clear, not believe everything Elizondo says but the current information out there about all this at the moment. Although I do give Elizondo a lot of leeway due to Mellon's and Harry Reid's endorsements.

D-Pad has issued a correction as of 07:01 on Sep 4, 2021

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Mola Yam posted:

Thanks. Yeah, that test felt like something developed by an actual psychologist (pretty sure it was) rather than a Facebook meme.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Lue says very little directly and infers a lot, he has been impressively consistent yet has a lot of poo poo misattributed to him.

How people react to Lue—not necessarily whether they believe him—is a pretty good indicator of how well that person can read between the lines, it’s fun.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

if you listen to him speak on a podcast or wherever for a few minutes it just becomes painfully obvious that he's either a grifter or saying exactly what someone is telling him to say, aka he's an op or a grifter or both. lue is fun but lol he's not going to ever so anything other than suggest that hey yeah disclosure is just over there and yeah I know a lot more but I can't say because reasons

lol given his resume it seems pretty obvious it's an op. to what end? why now? who knows

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

it really did my head in for a while, realising that human perception is so vastly variable and most people don't even realise it, just go around assuming everyone else is experiencing things almost the same as they are

I'm probably hyperphantasic according to that link. yes I can actually see pictures when I close my eyes. if I think of a broom I can see it, switch the broom type, imagine it sweeping the floor of a room I've been in, etc. it's not exactly sharp details like I'm watching a blu-ray or anything like that. it's kinda similar to what what something looks like if you're asleep and dreaming about it

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Spergin Morlock posted:

I'm probably hyperphantasic according to that link. yes I can actually see pictures when I close my eyes. if I think of a broom I can see it, switch the broom type, imagine it sweeping the floor of a room I've been in, etc. it's not exactly sharp details like I'm watching a blu-ray or anything like that. it's kinda similar to what what something looks like if you're asleep and dreaming about it

Statistically there's people here who also don't know what you're referring to regarding visualizations while asleep lol

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
The different states of perception that just one species can experience is mind-blowing. Then you start to think about animals that have exceptional echolocation, plants with finely attuned pheromone sensitivity, etc.

Humbling to realize how limited our senses are.

edit: joke post or not, I legit have done the Gateway Experience course and it’s something else :aaaaa:

Fly Ricky has issued a correction as of 10:01 on Sep 4, 2021

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
wait everyone here has read the vice thing on astral projection and gotten the hemisync audio files floating around on gdrive, right?

SMUG MEDIA SLUT
Dec 16, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfM_dShCyfk

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Spergin Morlock posted:

Yeah me too, I appear to be all the way over on the visual brain axis. I can visualize images like you describe, but I also don't need to close my eyes, I can just focus on the mental image and ignore what I'm looking at to the point where my brain is barely processing vision at all.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah me too, I appear to be all the way over on the visual brain axis. I can visualize images like you describe, but I also don't need to close my eyes, I can just focus on the mental image and ignore what I'm looking at to the point where my brain is barely processing vision at all.

I got this too but it has to be accompanied by sound to linger for more than a half second, like if I think about a song I know through and through I can visualize the band playing the whole thing. not like watching a video of it, more like disjointed clips of it focusing on one bit a time. when I think about the red star its bright red accompanied by a shimmery kinda sound. I don't have synesthesia in my normal perceptions and I wonder what people who do see in the eyes of the mind??

anyway its likely that people with stronger visualization powers were abducted at a young age and the experimentation is what opened up the ability

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

The Saucer Hovers has issued a correction as of 15:51 on Sep 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

WEH posted:

fine, grifter with heel and mark characteristics

also known as a good hustler