Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TTBF posted:

I've got all the blueprints I feel I need except the grappling arm for the prawn. I've searched all over and nothing. Well today I was loving about in the Dunes in the prawn when I came across a big chasm. I knew I couldn't get back up if I jumped down so I was looking for a way across it. Suddenly I hear a roar behind me. I turn around and immediately get grabbed by a reaper. It proceeded to swim me over the chasm I was trying to avoid and then threw me down after it was tired of me drilling and punching it in the face. I landed on a huge wreck which contained one grappling arm fragment.

What's the easiest lost river entrance to drive the cyclops through?

I think the easiest entrances have reapers in the area. There’s one near the south end of the dunes and another northwest-ish of the Aurora, along with the entrances from near the underwater floating islands (guarded by a ghost leviathan), and the one by the 500m Degasi base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

TTBF posted:

I've got all the blueprints I feel I need except the grappling arm for the prawn. I've searched all over and nothing. Well today I was loving about in the Dunes in the prawn when I came across a big chasm. I knew I couldn't get back up if I jumped down so I was looking for a way across it. Suddenly I hear a roar behind me. I turn around and immediately get grabbed by a reaper. It proceeded to swim me over the chasm I was trying to avoid and then threw me down after it was tired of me drilling and punching it in the face. I landed on a huge wreck which contained one grappling arm fragment.

What's the easiest lost river entrance to drive the cyclops through?

I always use the entrance near lifepod 2. You only have to dodge one ghost reaper junior and once past that you’re near the blue tree.

Bring the ingredients for a thermal plant and a small base and build a supply depot by that tree on one of the vents.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 4, 2021

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I like using the one by the Degasi base, because you basically head right for the above-surface Degasi island, drop down, fit the Cyclops into a hole that's maybe 2% bigger than it is, and duck some of those loving EMP monsters.

Dunno about easiest though. That'd be the one NW of the Aurora, although without a beacon it's harder to find than the others.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah I like the one where you drop the cyclops down that vertical hole. But I like the external-camera-piloting minigame.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I finally got my cyclops in there, set up a forward operating base, and got out safely. Was able to use the resources I picked up to upgrade all my vehicles with the stuff that requires nickel or crystal sulfate. Now I can go back down and search for kyanite even deeper.

edit: Went in through grand reef and then exited via mountain. Gonna do that again (grand reef entrance is marked) and put a beacon in the mountain entrance as I exit so I can get there faster.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

TTBF posted:

I finally got my cyclops in there, set up a forward operating base, and got out safely. Was able to use the resources I picked up to upgrade all my vehicles with the stuff that requires nickel or crystal sulfate. Now I can go back down and search for kyanite even deeper.

edit: Went in through grand reef and then exited via mountain. Gonna do that again (grand reef entrance is marked) and put a beacon in the mountain entrance as I exit so I can get there faster.

My first few times down there, I was absolutely sure I remembered my route and tried to come back the way I came. Every single time I popped back to the surface world out of a different hole.

Those entrances are one of the best uses for beacons. If they are unmarked, you can whizz right past them in a seamoth or cyclops and not even notice them.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I had a cursed game today where I lost two Sea Moths to clipping glitches. The first got beached on an island and then literally got sucked into the island, and the second got grabbed by a beastie who pushed it into a cliff. I just respawned it all using the debug commands but what a pain in the rear end.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

My girlfriend had a weird glitch where her sea moth just vanished while docked in her cyclops.

I finally beat the first game! I went to just investigate the final zone and ended up completing the game quickly. Surprised how fast that unfolded but having already built the rocket probably helped.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TTBF posted:

My girlfriend had a weird glitch where her sea moth just vanished while docked in her cyclops.

This has happened to me before, but only when using a Cyclops I spawned in with the debug menu. Building one the normal way, I’ve never had an issue.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Just hanging out waitin for my ride and then magic space bird comes along, picks me up and carries me off.

It ended painfully.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Who docks a Seamoth in a Cyclops?!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Tom Tucker posted:

Who docks a Seamoth in a Cyclops?!

People who are really bad at finding blueprints for robot arms.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I did, because a mod extended the Seamoth’s perimeter defense system to the Cyclops :unsmith:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

imo the Cyclops would be improved as a true mobile base if it had 2 docking pods, one for a seamoth and one for the prawn. Or for 2 prawns that can be customized for combat & for mining.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

double nine posted:

imo the Cyclops would be improved as a true mobile base if it had 2 docking pods, one for a seamoth and one for the prawn. Or for 2 prawns that can be customized for combat & for mining.

Just put the other prawn arms you want to swap out in the prawn’s cargo space

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There's no combat in this game. Prawn should have drill arm on one side and grapple hook on the other. Drill arm works fine for deterring predators who get too cuddly.

withak fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 24, 2021

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

just want two docking bays don't kinkshame plz

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Come to think of it, even in runs I have the prawn and drill arm ASAP it can be genuinely faster to gather some resources like lithium and magnetite by zooming around the glowing jellyshroom zone with a seamoth packed full of cargo pods and gathering stuff by hand without giving any of the drill nodes so much as a second look.

So docking it back on the cyclops to unload and go back for more would be faster than driving it back to a base.

And considering cool prawn toys like the drill arm and grappling hook use a small stack of lithium, that kind of one off trip in the seamoth can really speed up your prawn upgrades if you were not already hoarding materials and did not have those yet.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 24, 2021

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
for playthrough 2 I just threw in a mod that added depth/arms for the seamoth so I'd have a reason to bring one with

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

This playthrough has a bunch or weirdness in it.
Just got in the water and went into one of the coral tubes for copper/quartz and i'm seeing like 3-4 empty crashfish nests, like someone had already gone through and launched them all.
Then fixing the reactor never made the radiation stop.
had to carry around the face piece and switch out whenever I was near.

Weirdly, have no problems in the deep bases where I always do.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
wow i just built the cyclops and gently caress this thing is a boat!! (it’s a sub)

also shocked to see the depth modules for the seamoth go from 200->300->900 lmao

2000 IQ me was like “i know, I’ll put a power cell charger in my cyclops to keep the engine tip top” and whoops the game does not let you do that in a way that does anything useful lmao

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

star eater posted:

2000 IQ me was like “i know, I’ll put a power cell charger in my cyclops to keep the engine tip top” and whoops the game does not let you do that in a way that does anything useful lmao

This perpetual motion machine got patched out a while ago.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
You can still make it work if you find a source of external heat and build the thermal charger!

...but yeah, need power coming in from the outside to not just have it be a non-growth loop from the cells plugged in to the ones in the charger.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

star eater posted:

wow i just built the cyclops and gently caress this thing is a boat!! (it’s a sub)

also shocked to see the depth modules for the seamoth go from 200->300->900 lmao

The thing I LOVE about Subnautica is how it let me prepare (or not!) at my own pace, in my own way. Before I got the thermal charger, I made a plan to have backups of backups of backups of power cells and batteries, food, torpedos, just everything all set to go.

Because I was intensely afraid of the deeps, so I needed to have a full mobile base for my treks there. And it didn't disappoint (or let me disappoint myself).

You ever get that cozy feeling when you're in a nice warm car during a wicked blizzard or rainstorm? You're comfy and dry and warm, and outside is just insane?

That's what the Cyclops felt like for me. I had a bed, lockers, posters, plants... And meanwhile, outside, there were horrors and things that wanted to eat me.

Goddamn, I love Subnautica. :swoon:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
yeah I’m gonna be bummed after i beat this one and BZ, the speedy transitions, the menuing, the preparing and maintenance of all your poo poo. it rocks so hard.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah I’m looking for the next survival builder drug. I’m either going with Medieval Dynasty or The Raft. MD is out of early access, while Raft is not, so maybe I’ll go with MD. Anybody played those two?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
what about Green Hell? I’ve heard great things about that one.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Raft is pretty cool, but I think its a multiplayer game.
Can be played single but franticly as you try to take hold of your food situation and manage resource gathering and shark attacks at the same time.
Just much easier in multi.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Breathedge is very similar to Subnautica, but has some really awful humor, and the gameplay is a lot more tedious than Subnautica.

Raft is the only other survival game I have enjoyed.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

How is the original Subnautica on Switch? Someone is asking me for Switch recommendations, but I played the original on PS4, and Below Zero on Switch. I thought BZ looked surprisingly good, but it was completely unstable and crashed all the time. I powered through and just learned to save every three minutes, but it isn't a game I would recommend to others because of it. Is the original just as unstable on Switch?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

OgNar posted:

Raft is pretty cool, but I think its a multiplayer game.
Can be played single but franticly as you try to take hold of your food situation and manage resource gathering and shark attacks at the same time.
Just much easier in multi.

I played it solo and it was fine, like a lot of survival games the tension largely comes from the period of time between "starting the game" and "having a fully self-sufficient base of operations" and that happened pretty quickly between the water condenser and the bird nest. By the time you get to the point where the shark can't be bapped off your raft immediately your raft is big enough to just throw down a chew toy buffer zone anyways.

My only real complaint with raft is that I usually prefer games that let you transition out of the early game low tier resource scrounging (either by increasing volume or automation) but there's no point in raft where you transition out of sifting motes of copper and iron out of the seafloor by hand, iirc. Still early access so it's got time and room to improve at least

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://youtu.be/jTERHJeGuVU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I played it solo and it was fine, like a lot of survival games the tension largely comes from the period of time between "starting the game" and "having a fully self-sufficient base of operations" and that happened pretty quickly between the water condenser and the bird nest. By the time you get to the point where the shark can't be bapped off your raft immediately your raft is big enough to just throw down a chew toy buffer zone anyways.

My only real complaint with raft is that I usually prefer games that let you transition out of the early game low tier resource scrounging (either by increasing volume or automation) but there's no point in raft where you transition out of sifting motes of copper and iron out of the seafloor by hand, iirc. Still early access so it's got time and room to improve at least

Yeah, I played quite a lot of single player Raft before I ever got multiplayer (I was able to get my partner to make a Steam account and buy it because she wanted to play with me :3:). It's definitely one of those games that benefits from multi with being able to have a division of labour, etc but I enjoyed the single player for quite a while.

With that said my main beef was figuring out how to time spear pokes on the shark to effectively negate it as a threat which took a lot of the tension out.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Raft has been updated a few times since I last played it, but I remember single player being quite fine.

When I play it again I will probably find a mod that removes the shark, I don't think it adds anything to the game really.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Oh drat there totally is one, i might even pick it up on the next sale for this.

https://www.raftmodding.com/mods/passivesharks

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Inferior Third Season posted:

How is the original Subnautica on Switch? Someone is asking me for Switch recommendations, but I played the original on PS4, and Below Zero on Switch. I thought BZ looked surprisingly good, but it was completely unstable and crashed all the time. I powered through and just learned to save every three minutes, but it isn't a game I would recommend to others because of it. Is the original just as unstable on Switch?

thats how i played og subnautica, on switch. i’ve had several crashes and the pop in is actually horrible but it’s playable. I really wanted to be able to play it portable.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Oasx posted:

When I play it again I will probably find a mod that removes the shark, I don't think it adds anything to the game really.

Free shark steaks in the early game :yum:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

star eater posted:

thats how i played og subnautica, on switch. i’ve had several crashes and the pop in is actually horrible but it’s playable. I really wanted to be able to play it portable.

I played it for something like 75 hours on Switch and only experiences a handful of crashes (aside from the Aurora! :haw:)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
After my, uh, experiences with NMS on console I usually lean heavily towards PC for sandbox/survival games because even outside of modding, just being able to back up and revert saves in the event of purestrain buggy bullshit is Nice. If I had clipped through the hull of the Cyclops and died in some of the deeper areas on my first playthrough and the only recourse was "re-farm and build another one from scratch so you can even get to the old one" I would have been Unhappy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
my seamoth DID disappear. or the bone sharks destroyed it and i didn’t see it or hear it happen. i went into a wreck, came out and it was gone. RIP seamoth 1. i hardly knew you.

now i save every 30 seconds.