Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Boris Johnson's treatment of refugees and the woke taliban calling all authors 'they' in a university publication featuring authors of many genders where their personal pronouns may not be known in advance are equally oppressive."

Interestingly the Express version of the interview cuts out all the transphobic stuff and instead puts in a bunch of sectarian stuff, "We were northern, working-class and Catholic, and to me, Englishness was Protestant and southern, and owned by people with more money."

e: Kowloon means 'nine dragons' because of a phonetic association or because of the number of dragons that live there.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Turns out Messerschmitt are bringing back their bubble car as an anniversary special.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
How do you make money? Well I poo poo out a rubbish book for people who don’t really like reading every year then spew some gender hate for a bonus how bout you lol

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Maugrim posted:

I mean... She staggers so close to an understanding there.

Nah she doesn't, she's just a Liberal and wants to be treated with kid gloves and never be asked for a second of introspection where they might have to confront their own prejudice and will use all the intellectual waffling she can to avoid it.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jakabite posted:

How do you make money? Well I poo poo out a rubbish book for people who don’t really like reading

Uh, I don't understand why you'd think Hilary Mantel's readers don't like reading. I'd guess they read way more than average, and form the backbone of many book clubs.

Full disclosure: I have (hitherto) enjoyed several Mantel novels.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hilary Mantel, JK Rowling, and Garry Bushell collaborate in an all new crime fiction, working class detective Peen Spotter combats the anti-Catholic tyrant Halal Cromwell and his nefarious plot to call everyone 'they' in 17th century England.

Angrymog posted:

Turns out Messerschmitt are bringing back their bubble car as an anniversary special.
It's apparently going to be an electric car ebike class vehicle with a 5kW motor.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Did people really care about being European before Brexit? It just feels like a really fake affectation that people took on in response to being told the bad people were Brexit boys.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

Uh, I don't understand why you'd think Hilary Mantel's readers don't like reading. I'd guess they read way more than average, and form the backbone of many book clubs.

Full disclosure: I have (hitherto) enjoyed several Mantel novels.

My bad I guess, I see her on the best selling lists and assume it’s another shocking crime novel a la Dan Brown, like the non military equivalent of Tom Clancy. If I’m wrong then apologies. Just seems like there are better books out there

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
My favourite weirdly diversified bike manufacturer will always be Kawasaki - your one-stop shop for supertankers, bullet trains, and motorbikes with unconventional air intakes. Ducati are a close second only because they split fairly early on so the company that makes the generators and switching equipment for power grids only shares a name now with the one that makes automation equipment (the traffic control room featured in The Italian Job is actually based on the real Ducati automated traffic-management system in Turin which the Italians were *immensely* proud of), and the one that makes very red motorcycles.

I think the nearest we got to that over here was BSA, which was a deeply weird company in a lot of ways but for the purposes of this discussion all you need to know is after World War I they realised they wouldn't need to make any more guns for quite a while so turned their factories over to making anything else made of metal with lots of moving parts - motorbikes, cars, power tools, escalators, bicycle gears, telephone switches, and dozens of other lines out of weird little sheds dotted around Birmingham. World War II meant they had to go back to making shootbangs (and military vehicles) but after the war they decided that the safest bet was just to make the two things that had been most successful between the wars, cars and motorbikes, because it wasn't like the Italians, Germans, and Japanese would be able to give them much competition, was it? This is why BSA's main business is now selling t-shirts with the BSA logo on them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Peen Spotter

In his dream world this is the job Glinner would have, to keep changing rooms and toilets pure.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Did people really care about being European before Brexit? It just feels like a really fake affectation that people took on in response to being told the bad people were Brexit boys.
Sometime around the time that a lot of Black British and British Muslim people (rightfully) made a big deal of saying "my dad was from the British West Indies, we were told we were British from birth, so don't say I'm not British you BNP nonce" a bunch of ham people suddenly discovered how proud they were to be English, not British, and it seems in response to that the Guardian set found out that they were European all along, but yes Brexit has accelerated that massively.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is why BSA's main business is now selling t-shirts
Birmingham Small Arms :hmmyes:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/clickbaitrobot/status/1434094663519047684

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jakabite posted:

My bad I guess, I see her on the best selling lists and assume it’s another shocking crime novel a la Dan Brown, like the non military equivalent of Tom Clancy. If I’m wrong then apologies. Just seems like there are better books out there

I've only read Wolf Hall but it was very good

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So is she a terf, a melt or both? FWIW I listened to the first quarter of Wolf Hall on audiobook and it seems pretty good but I didn't get around to listening to the rest.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

stev posted:

So is she a terf, a melt or both? FWIW I listened to the first quarter of Wolf Hall on audiobook and it seems pretty good but I didn't get around to listening to the rest.

she’s just got outdated opinions, including that the british public just don’t love having a buffoon as a PM

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Seems both extremely melty and terfy to me.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

I did. Might have been in a minority though. It was part of my identity taken away from me without my consent so yeah that is actually going to upset some people you know.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
She's definitely hopped on the train of talking about a real problem (endometriosis is very bad and frequently mis/underdiagnosed due in part to it being complex and not well studied but also due to structural misogyny in healthcare), and then swinging around and blaming trans people, like if only the cis male endocrinologists were a bit more transphobic they'd suddenly be less sexist or something.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Jakabite posted:

I’m reading the last Cromwell book now. The series is actually extremely good. “Literary” historical fiction: well researched, good characterisation, unusual style (Cromwell is referred to as just “he” by the author), funny, touching, and educational about 1500s Europe.

Think I’ll reread Neal Stephenson’s Baroque Cycle next for a silly take on the following time period (1600s).

E: disappointing that Mantel is a terf

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

She's definitely hopped on the train of talking about a real problem (endometriosis is very bad and frequently mis/underdiagnosed due in part to it being complex and not well studied but also due to structural misogyny in healthcare), and then swinging around and blaming trans people, like if only the cis male endocrinologists were a bit more transphobic they'd suddenly be less sexist or something.
Looks like team lib have identified the correct problem and are gunning for completely the wrong solution agaaaiiinnn

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jakabite posted:

Oh no, her books are better than that. She started out writing slightly surreal novels and then moved into historical stuff. Good middlebrow, I suppose one might call it.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

Oh no, her books are better than that. She started out writing slightly surreal novels and then moved into historical stuff. Good middlebrow, I suppose one might call it.

In that case my bad! Guess I was just looking for an easy dunk on a terf but must try harder in my terfdunking

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Being proud of being European screams of a dogwhistle to me, funny how the guardian are all worried about the scientists and students in Switzerland and the second home in France, but not the poor Eastern European buggers being forced to work in a car wash in Stoke.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's because when the higher-ups at the Guardian were on their Gap Yah in Europe, those countries weren't part of 'Europe', so their Interrail card (that Daddy paid for) didn't cover places as foreign and strange as Banska Bystrica, Gyor, Timisoara, Nesebar or London.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Looks like team lib have identified the correct problem and are gunning for completely the wrong solution agaaaiiinnn

liberals instinctively avoid going after anyone they recognise as actually having any power when they can find an excuse to attack an acceptable target and will use the flimsiest logic imaginable to do so

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I actually know someone who is quite fond of the "european" idea but she is a genuinely nice and Correct person. I think it's still a holdover of rather lib-ier early years but I think it is also just how she parses internationalism.

It does still have a bit of the whole Gap Yah thing about it though, though in her case I think it's just that she does actually like old european cities and stuff which I've never been interested in.

I still think she looks at it as a way to somehow disaffiliate from britnats though.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jakabite posted:

Nah Mantel takes like 10 years to put out a rigorously researched historical novel about ugly but powerful men that she has historical crushes on

I liked the first two Wolf Hall books and haven't got through the final one yet

Theyr good books but her being a reactionary is extremely unsurprising given how she writes about stuff

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

feedmegin posted:

I did. Might have been in a minority though. It was part of my identity taken away from me without my consent so yeah that is actually going to upset some people you know.

Me too. I lived in Germany for a couple of years in my teenagedom and did a Gap Yah before they became a thing (mainly because I had skipped a year of school - :viggo: - so the parentals and myself thought a year out before going to uni and joining 'my' peer age year group would be A Good Thing*. I worked as a chambermaid in a hotel in Bavaria known for holding the G7 in recent years. (If you can be bothered to look it up, it wasn't that posh back then! There was some big skiing championship in Garmish Partenkirchen - famous ski place - and we had beds made up in baths!))

*hah. It wasn't, for reasons.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 4, 2021

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I'm sure the exec who thought up this idea is regretting it now

https://twitter.com/pseudo310/status/1433792325046710277

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

xtothez posted:

I'm sure the exec who thought up this idea is regretting it now

https://twitter.com/pseudo310/status/1433792325046710277

One time at work, I was whistling The Red Flag while jauntily bouncing down the staircase only to meet the Chief Executive coming up the staircase. He gave me a big grin.
Why, yes, I did find myself on the redundancy list a few months later. (Not that I was displeased about that! Very happy actually, went up and down Walthamstow market singing "I'm free")

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One time at work, I was whistling The Red Flag while jauntily bouncing down the staircase only to meet the Chief Executive coming up the staircase. He gave me a big grin.
Why, yes, I did find myself on the redundancy list a few months later. (Not that I was displeased about that! Very happy actually, went up and down Walthamstow market singing "I'm free")

Isn't that the same tune as some christmas song?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A song about a tree that became a Christmas song, a scouting song, a workers' song, and a Confederate sympathizer song, among others.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Miftan posted:

Isn't that the same tune as some christmas song?

Yes.

O Tannenbaum.

But it was the middle of summer. He knew..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x3z624U-0s

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also while I don't like his take on the internationale, billy bragg is at least partially responsible for greatly improving the red flag by making it sound less like a funeral dirge.

Did not think I would heard the singer from nightwish doing a crimbo song lmao.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

I still do but then I'm a filthy euro migrant so.

It's funny me moving to Britain happened almost incidentally, I just wanted to go to uni somewhere abroad and ended up staying.

I think it's somewhat common on the continent (and in RoI, but that seems to be included in "the continent" these days).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 4, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ghost Leviathan posted:

liberals instinctively avoid going after anyone they recognise as actually having any power when they can find an excuse to attack an acceptable target and will use the flimsiest logic imaginable to do so
That's the worst part of it. There is a tiny minority that tries to destroy all nuance and discourse around sex, gender, reproductive rights, fertility, women's health, and access to medicine and it's not trans people or nonbinary people, nor is it a sectarian matter, nor is it Thomas Cromwell or whoever (mostly on account of him dying in 1540), it's a bunch of hyperreactionary theocrat nutjobs from across the Conservative Catholic and Southern Baptist and white Evangelical communities and people that don't care either way about women but hate the idea of anyone having healthcare without them making a profit. And some people who are both and called Jacob Rees-Mogg. But apparently it's more important and relevant to use your pulpit to mention that a wealthy author got dunked on repeatedly on the internet for writing utter shite last year than it is that actual sex based rights (not dogwhistly ones) are under attack from those groups right now.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
“Other people can’t have anything for free or any fun without consequences (If I have to be miserable with who I am and married to someone I hate so does everyone else)”

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Gonzo McFee posted:

I did, thought it was great. Hope to be European again some day.

Edit : and also gently caress those that voted leave, including the lexit wankers. Will never forgive them.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 4, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

learnincurve posted:

Being proud of being European screams of a dogwhistle to me, funny how the guardian are all worried about the scientists and students in Switzerland and the second home in France, but not the poor Eastern European buggers being forced to work in a car wash in Stoke.

I didn't feel proud of it. It was part of my identity, just like being British is without my festooning my house with Union Jacks or longing for the return of the Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know that I would count being british as part of my identity. I mean yes obviously it is a valid descriptor of where I was born and where I live but I don't think of it the way I think about my political positions, or even things like sexuality, which I think is mostly an identity because everyone else makes it one and because it ties in with my political positions.

Other than politics I don't actually think I have anything I would consider to be a strong component of "my identity" actually, there are lots of things I do but I don't make them into core parts of who I am. I don't identify as a Gamer despite playing a huge amount of videogames, it's a thing I do, not a thing I am.

There are things that I can't stop other people from identifying me as, but that doesn't mean internalize them and start identifying myself like that. And that seems like a pretty tangible distinction at least to me.

It doesn't feel as if anything has changed re: european-ness, like yes I am not legally allowed to go there if ever the fancy took me but I don't really think that it has somehow changed me as a person.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 4, 2021