Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i see that piece of poo poo hawkeye is gonna come slithering back huh god i hate him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

NoneMoreNegative posted:

you could do all four! (don't watch Omega Doom tho srs)

i feel like i got all the oneliners from the trailer, i dont need the rest

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

big, funny, some dark bits, now everybody's dead. reckon ill just go ahead and watch endgame tomorrow

don't, it's funnier to leave the series this way

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

rip catherine coulson

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/consumeprogeny/status/1433825063128625155?s=21

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Jonny 290 posted:

k finally watched infinity war

big, funny, some dark bits, now everybody's dead. reckon ill just go ahead and watch endgame tomorrow

there were two teenaged girls next to me in the theater when i saw infinity war and when it ended one turned to the other and sniffingly said "spider-man will come back, right?"

mystes
May 31, 2006

duz posted:

there were two teenaged girls next to me in the theater when i saw infinity war and when it ended one turned to the other and sniffingly said "spider-man will come back, right?"
In retrospect it would have been nice if they just killed off all of the Marvel characters and left them dead.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

thank you for linking that very intAAAAAjustwt cAAAAAAA e out frAAAAAAaathe veAAAAAAA

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

qirex posted:

the best part to me was at the very end when they were like "hey, all this royal bloodline poo poo has caused centuries of conflict, maybe we should try a new system?"
"nah let's just pick the psychic wizard kid who only speaks in cryptic riddles to be our new king"

the reactionary, counterrevolutionary, royalist forces won, nobody's got time for any of that breaking the wheel nonsense k thx

when you play the game of thrones you win or you die, or you just kinda decide to all get along in the most expedient way

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

duz posted:

Super-powered twinks are relatively rare and their populations should be conserved

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

captain, i have analyzed the data, and you keep this angry klingon security chief on the bridge but ignore his advice ninety nine point four three seven two percent of the time. Requesting more information as to why we keep him on payroll beep boop

gotta keep him around for aliens to beat up, he's the sacrificial anode for the bridge water heater

worf's got more CTE than a NFL veteran

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

rotor posted:

star trek has always been about solving problems with a powerful space laser

TNG, VOY

TOS problem solving is about tricking a god on a paramount backlot

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

PCjr sidecar posted:

gotta keep him around for aliens to beat up, he's the sacrificial anode for the bridge water heater

worf's got more CTE than a NFL veteran
please check your worfs quarterly for visible corrosion

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PCjr sidecar posted:

The klingons are supposed to be some of the best warriors in the alpha quadrant and get domed with a single karate clop from a jr federation officer.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think at least part of that is that worf is basically a klingaboo with outdated ideas about how klingon war culture works, beaming onto the enemy ship's bridge to challenge the captain to a bat'leth duel like it's 18th century england

the klingons have a reputation as fearsome warriors because they don't do that poo poo. just sneak up on you in cloak and fire a full spread of torpedoes into your warp nacelles. sure they have a culture of honor but the most important thing is defeating your enemy

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Kernel Sanders posted:

it’s been 20 years since i read them but isn’t it around book 4 where they destroy i-cant-believe-it’s-not-sauron and then in book five it turns out it was a fake i-cant-believe-it’s-not-sauron

that's the first book lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

i think at least part of that is that worf is basically a klingaboo with outdated ideas about how klingon war culture works, beaming onto the enemy ship's bridge to challenge the captain to a bat'leth duel like it's 18th century england

the klingons have a reputation as fearsome warriors because they don't do that poo poo. just sneak up on you in cloak and fire a full spread of torpedoes into your warp nacelles. sure they have a culture of honor but the most important thing is defeating your enemy
tos klingons said cool things like "a hundred throats can be cut in one night by a running man". they were basically mongols in space. tng made them into new age neo-samurai, always burbling about their honor and poo poo

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Star Trek always wanted to be an action franchise, they just didn't have the effects budget to support it, so they had to get by on writing. It was in the middle of DS9 that this started to change.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

RokosCockatrice posted:

bob's burgers early seasons has the same sort of charm as the simpsons early seasons

it also started to run into the same "I guess we should send bob to space now?" problems around season 8, at which point I promptly tuned out in self defense

are you poo poo taking homer in space????

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

i think at least part of that is that worf is basically a klingaboo

i know i'm a broken record on this, but it seems incredibly unfair to poo poo on worf about this. like, he's not some dipshit human nerd who grew up consuming a subset of exported cultural works solely based on their exoticism and difference to domestic fare, he's literally a refugee who survived a brutal massacre in which his parents died (and he thought his entire family was killed too) and is desperate to connect to his heritage.

i mean, where are worf's adoptive parents gonna go for cultural materials on the klingon empire? the feds canonically don't know jack poo poo about klingon culture as of early TNG. maybe they could go to a klingon consulate or embassy, and of course they're gonna be providing carefully-selected materials full of the most self-serving "well actually klingons are in fact the most honorable space empire" propaganda. maybe ol' sergei tries calling some of his old starfleet buddies too, just "hey what do you know about klingon culture, do you know anybody" and gets some second-hand stuff that way too. "oh yeah i heard when one of 'em dies they do this weird thing where they howl at their gods". either way they're obviously not getting the complete picture.

i dunno. the "worf's a klingaboo lol" thing bugs me because it's at the intersect of not giving a poo poo about words having meanings ('weeaboo' is absolutely a pejorative) and/or lazily misreading the material to try and dig for a hot take. like, yeah, obviously worf's got a distorted view of klingon culture, but it's not coming from the same place as some dumbass white teenager in ohio jerking off about japan.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
how did warf’s family die and how did he get away

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i dunno. the "worf's a klingaboo lol" thing bugs me because it's at the intersect of not giving a poo poo about words having meanings ('weeaboo' is absolutely a pejorative) and/or lazily misreading the material to try and dig for a hot take. like, yeah, obviously worf's got a distorted view of klingon culture, but it's not coming from the same place as some dumbass white teenager in ohio jerking off about japan.

i make fun of worf sometimes but hes also one of my favorite characters. he's closer to weirdo late 19th/early 20th century rich dudes that got super into "the orient" than a weeaboo obviously, but it's still very much trying to live a strange distorted never-existed klingon-ness that's very different from what actual klingons do. the fact that he isn't blameworthy for this is part of what makes him so interesting - he has to deal with the disappointment of actual klingons not living up to his expectations, and figuring out what kind of person - and what kind of klingon - he wants to be. i dont think anybody actually thinks the character is the exact same as the fedora cartoon brigade, but it _is_ funny to dunk on him occasionally even if it's not completely accurate

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

AnimeIsTrash posted:

single karate clop
is this another horsey thing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah i don't view worf as a klingon otaku or whatever. i think the big thing is that he's absorbed all of the klingon "we believe in family lineages and honor" stuff, but grew up in the human/starfleet framework so he's still wound very tight. basically he doesn't get to indulge in "let's get fuckin drunk and fight for stupid reasons to blow off steam" like actual non-alienated klingons do ALL THE loving TIME. he doesn't really have that release valve for when he's pissed and feeling powerless.

worf x dax was amazing and i think they did him REAL dirty in the last season of ds9. it would have been nice to run out the last season like the previous couple and let him be loving happy with a super hot and badass trill as the credits rolled

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Jonny 290 posted:

basically he doesn't get to indulge in "let's get fuckin drunk and fight for stupid reasons to blow off steam" like actual non-alienated klingons do ALL THE loving TIME. he doesn't really have that release valve for when he's pissed and feeling powerless.

he has a holodeck

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cap'n gets pissed when you disable the safety routines. its not a klingon fight unless somebody gets a real knife in a real arm

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
give us a 4 ep miniseries where worf discovers MMA

"Worf, give me a security report."

"Captain, i have no time. I am scheduled in....The Octagon." <walks off bridge>

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Chris Knight posted:

is this another horsey thing

It's a posting before your 2nd cup of coffee thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

give us a 4 ep miniseries where worf discovers MMA

"Worf, give me a security report."

"Captain, i have no time. I am scheduled in....The Octagon." <walks off bridge>

uhhh why would he do MMA when anbo-jitsu exists

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah i don't view worf as a klingon otaku or whatever. i think the big thing is that he's absorbed all of the klingon "we believe in family lineages and honor" stuff, but grew up in the human/starfleet framework so he's still wound very tight. basically he doesn't get to indulge in "let's get fuckin drunk and fight for stupid reasons to blow off steam" like actual non-alienated klingons do ALL THE loving TIME. he doesn't really have that release valve for when he's pissed and feeling powerless.

worf x dax was amazing and i think they did him REAL dirty in the last season of ds9. it would have been nice to run out the last season like the previous couple and let him be loving happy with a super hot and badass trill as the credits rolled

I think i've called worf a klingon weeaboo itt and I have come around on it. He just seems like someone who is trying to find a identity in the culture he was born into and overcorrects. I've seen a lot of people do the same thing in the diaspora community.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Finished the first Joe Abercrombie trilogy. I appreciate some of the things he does differently but don't think I'll bother with any more, the final section of the third book was a real slog.

Started Cosmopolis by Delilo and it's great, written in 2003 but at times it nails elements of the VC bro voice/vision.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
worf is a deadbeat dad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

worf is a deadbeat dad

his difficulties raising alexander are a very obvious retelling of the own story of his own youth, where the father has insufficient understanding of the environment of the son and pushes them in various directions without properly listening or understanding

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
alexander was sent to live with his grandparents

granted that's definitely the right choice for his safety, but in-universe the enterprise is meant to be extremely family-friendly so worf just comes off as a trashy single dad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

alexander was sent to live with his grandparents

granted that's definitely the right choice for his safety
i mean its an objectively better decision than a: keeping your kid on a starship when you're one of the busiest officers and b: letting him drive?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
it’s bad parenting to choose a job that means you can’t parent your child

why did his parents die

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
worf's parents? they got killed in the "khitomer massacre", where the romulans shot up a klingon outpost after worf's dad's rival Duras sold out to the sharp-ears and turned off the shields for them

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
he just didn't want his son indoctrinated into the cult of picard, forced to constantly celebrate picard day and put up picard-themed crayon drawings all over their quarters

p reasonable imho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i know i'm a broken record on this, but it seems incredibly unfair to poo poo on worf about this. like, he's not some dipshit human nerd who grew up consuming a subset of exported cultural works solely based on their exoticism and difference to domestic fare, he's literally a refugee who survived a brutal massacre in which his parents died (and he thought his entire family was killed too) and is desperate to connect to his heritage.

i mean, where are worf's adoptive parents gonna go for cultural materials on the klingon empire? the feds canonically don't know jack poo poo about klingon culture as of early TNG. maybe they could go to a klingon consulate or embassy, and of course they're gonna be providing carefully-selected materials full of the most self-serving "well actually klingons are in fact the most honorable space empire" propaganda. maybe ol' sergei tries calling some of his old starfleet buddies too, just "hey what do you know about klingon culture, do you know anybody" and gets some second-hand stuff that way too. "oh yeah i heard when one of 'em dies they do this weird thing where they howl at their gods". either way they're obviously not getting the complete picture.

worf defender has logged on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

pointsofdata posted:

Finished the first Joe Abercrombie trilogy. I appreciate some of the things he does differently but don't think I'll bother with any more, the final section of the third book was a real slog.

Started Cosmopolis by Delilo and it's great, written in 2003 but at times it nails elements of the VC bro voice/vision.

i got a big laugh towards the end of the first law trilogy when i realized that, all along, the wizard did it