Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I want to thank the goon who posted the etsy listing of the 3d print adapter, I picked one up for my Honeywell 5500.

Waiting on a final interview but hopefully will get out of my current gig that would have me sit on site at my client in the city for something that would be most if not totally WFH. But if not, then saying goodbye to my bear and joining respirator krew for good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

AUSTRALIA: w-what’re y’all doin in here?

CDC: we’re spreading covid, and you don’t want no part of this poo poo

BIDEN: come on aussies, join the party!

CDC: no, australia, you don’t want this, get outta here!

AUSTRALIA: you know, i dont want no hospitalization and death, i cant get no hospitalization and death.

CDC: the vaccines are 99.999% effective at preventing hospitalization and death!

AUSTRALIA: w-w-will i need a booster or somethin?

CDC: you don’t need a booster!

AUSTRALIA: oh okay well i dont wanna…infect the children.

CDC: children cant catch it or spread it!

AUSTRALIA: it’s not gonna let me open er up, is it?

CDC: it’ll let you open er up harder than ever before.

AUSTRALIA: sounds kinda expensive.

CDC: it’s the cheapest solution there is. […] you don’t want it!

AUSTRALIA: i think i kinda want it!

Gio fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 4, 2021

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

mycomancy posted:

Finally got my 3M 7503 in, it fits my big stupid face SO much better.

Question for the hive: what's the exhale filter for these things called? I can't seem to find anything via Google but I swear I saw some mentioned here.

Thanks COVID thread!

Someone already linked you the filter but I wore the 7502 for a while and found a large cloth mask stretched very nicely across the exhalation valve. You could even "tuck" the mask in behind the valve to hold it in place, and I found people never complained about the respirator exhalation valve when the cloth mask was on top. Here's a large mask I found worked well for this purpose.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phigs posted:

But D&D told me he is a fearmongering quack who has been proven wrong.

EDIT: Wait I was wrong. He is a known bullshit artist who is super alarmist and is known to get a lot of things wrong.

it's only fine to get stuff wrong constantly if you're batting for team open biden

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
In Tucson, Arizona
https://twitter.com/CrazyMotherJess/status/1434122508278632453

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Once again I'm not sure what's going on here. We had 438 PCR positives today, positivity rate of 0,83%. I'd expect a higher rate if it was just due to undertesting. 72% are fully vaxxed, but literally no-one wears a mask anymore, everything is open including schools and all NPI have been scrapped. Is it just down to the vast majority getting vaxxed between May and July preventing infections? Calm before the storm? Hospitalisations have doubled in the past month, but infections remained stable for weeks.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

genericnick posted:

Where was the Mask Lab Link again?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3915397&pagenumber=1645&perpage=40#post517472326

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
can someone look up the biden status for me, are we closed or open?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

more like Chokies

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

im telling you not to email my wife, EVEN if it is about the covid-19 novel coronavirus

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Harik posted:

can someone look up the biden status for me, are we closed or open?

Open Biden can never be closed

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Computer, show me the worst county in SC right now ..

Raiad posted:

about to cross the threshold from Extreme to I TOLD U I WAS HARDCORE
lmao

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

OPEN BIDEN CAN NEVER BE CLOSED
HEAVEN OR HELL
ROUND ONE
FIGHT!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Iron Crowned posted:

oh good i was afraid we'd do something about the mass death

whew, that's a relief

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Once again I'm not sure what's going on here. We had 438 PCR positives today, positivity rate of 0,83%. I'd expect a higher rate if it was just due to undertesting. 72% are fully vaxxed, but literally no-one wears a mask anymore, everything is open including schools and all NPI have been scrapped. Is it just down to the vast majority getting vaxxed between May and July preventing infections? Calm before the storm? Hospitalisations have doubled in the past month, but infections remained stable for weeks.

Israel had a few good months. Maybe it's that? Italy also has stagnated at an elevated rate(though still about 30% lower than Denmark) for some time. Honestly, Danish numbers are pretty bad compared with other European non-tourist countries so I don't think there's all that much fiddling.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Iron Crowned posted:

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

PostNouveau posted:

They've studied vaccinated pregnant women, and they do pass on antibodies to the babies.

So they can have SOME protection. As much as the vaccines offer anyway.

I have been extremely anxious and worried for my wife and the newborn. My wife was only given the first shot of Pfizer back in Feb, but never got another shot because she had to go to the ER twice due to anaphylaxis from the first one. She’s due to give birth in December. She’s seen multiple allergists about it and none want to give her any of the vaccines while she is pregnant.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The Saucer Hovers posted:

OPEN BIDEN CAN NEVER BE CLOSED
HEAVEN OR HELL
ROUND ONE
FIGHT!

wonder if he's following holy orders for this bloodstained lineage.

E: makin' all these people writhe in pain.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 4, 2021

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
theoden voice:] what is open may never close

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/Brocktooon/status/1433996142312894466?s=19

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Dreadite posted:

really can anyone describe if the plan is to get dozens of boosters throughout your life

it doesn't seem like maintaining high circulating antibody counts is a reasonable goal for any disease

we've found that t-cell immunity doesn't wane (or rather, hasn't yet) so you can produce antibodies as needed, but this means you may "get infected" initially

if it should turn out that the vaccines don't protect you from repeated infection, but do offer a general reduction in hospitalisation and severity, then it seems like most countries are happy to consider that jobs-a-good-un and remove all restrictions.

at what point the accumulating year-on-year deaths and disabilities start to become a concern, who can say? poo poo in the past was brutal. if people are unwilling to accept severe, global restrictions to curtail the virus and governments are unwilling to underwrite a lifetime of boosters for every citizen, perhaps we're just back to the days of double-digit infant mortality and everyone over the age of 60 dropping dead every winter.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

which one of you posted the laugh emoji

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nocturtle posted:

One thing about our new endemic COVID world, what are parents who care about their newborns supposed to do? AFAIK pediatric vaccines aren't even being developed for <6mo children, meanwhile literally anyone could be walking around with a potentially serious viral infection asymptomatically. Do parents just try to super isolate the first six months? Otherwise just hope the infection doesn't affect their child too badly?

Guess it's the same basic situation the immunocompromised are in, but right now it seems like every single newborn going forward is going to get COVID without any kind of vaccine protection and there's nothing anyone can or will do about it. At least with measels herd immunity mostly exists.

I had a huge crack ping when I realized that all of the trials going on aren't gonna lead to an infant vaccine anytime soon. I am lucky enough that between my wife's leave, my leave, vacations, and grandparents we aren't gonna have to put my newborn in daycare until January when she is five months old but poo poo, she isn't gonna be vaxxed at that point and I have no control over the other kids in the room with her.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Found out MN ICUs are full of a lot of out of state patients because it hasn't hit us as hard, yet.

Twin Cities metro hospitals are pretty much full of dead-end unvaxxed patients from down south, but the Mayo Clinic still has beds available.

Folks both got a 3rd shot at the VA yesterday and are sleeping it off at home. I'm not worried about myself because I fought it off once and got a booster not long ago, but my loved ones being in danger is causing me to break out into the occasional Joker laugh.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Foo Diddley posted:

Lol keep posting these it's all that keeps me going.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

god drat this is funny

quote:

Ole Miss HC Lane Kiffin will miss Monday's game against Louisville after testing positive for COVID-19.

"I am grateful to be vaccinated and experiencing only mild symptoms. So much so, I debated over being tested, but I'm relieved that I did," Kiffin said. "I'm proud of our program's commitment to vaccination, and as a result, there are currently no other cases to report or team members expected to miss the game." Kiffin said recently that his team is 100-percent vaccinated. Because of that, players who were in close contact with Kiffin will not be forced to miss games via contact-tracing quarantine.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Thoguh posted:

I had a huge crack ping when I realized that all of the trials going on aren't gonna lead to an infant vaccine anytime soon. I am lucky enough that between my wife's leave, my leave, vacations, and grandparents we aren't gonna have to put my newborn in daycare until January when she is five months old but poo poo, she isn't gonna be vaxxed at that point and I have no control over the other kids in the room with her.

our 2 year old just had delta rip through their daycare, every kid was sneezing and had runny noses, and no fevers under 3. 3+ had fevers but that was it, kids all seem ok thankfully (hope no long covid bs).

fun testing issues:
most kids tested negative, while a few had positive pcr. like 3/12 positive, rest negative - all symptomatic. i no longer trust the tests at all either.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Foo Diddley posted:

don’t need to worry about paying when ur dead

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

really great the people trying to make the world a better place are the ones being threatened

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/HealthInsider/status/1433922845235613701

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Holy poo poo the idea of being wheeled to the ICU to be vented and your last thought before the IV drip drops you into your final sleep is "how am I going to pay for this"

Stressed out right now thinking about that!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bad boys for life posted:

fun testing issues:
most kids tested negative, while a few had positive pcr. like 3/12 positive, rest negative - all symptomatic. i no longer trust the tests at all either.

This has been happening anecdotally for the entire pandemic. I've seen so many stories of "Yeah everyone in my household tested positive and I had the same symptoms but tested negative 5 times."

No idea if there have been studies about this or what, but I'm also wary of the tests.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Brain Curry posted:

more like Chokies

we won the game, and lost the war

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Petey posted:

only trust your respirator indeed

I’d like one kf48 plz

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Rauros posted:

really great the people trying to make the world a better place are the ones being threatened

The people threatening them are absolute cowards.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

genericnick posted:

Israel had a few good months. Maybe it's that? Italy also has stagnated at an elevated rate(though still about 30% lower than Denmark) for some time. Honestly, Danish numbers are pretty bad compared with other European non-tourist countries so I don't think there's all that much fiddling.

Well yeah, but I'd expect the unmasking, schools opening and NPI getting scrapped to be reflected in infection numbers when we're dealing with Delta. It starts spiking as Delta grows dominant, but since then everything has been rolled back and opened up.

Edit: I mean, according to the data, schools are seeing fewer outbreaks than before Delta, but that might be down to contact tracing protocols being altered.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 4, 2021

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Salt Fish posted:

wheeled to the ICU to be vented and your last thought before the IV drip drops you into your final sleep is "how am I going to pay for this"

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Louisgod posted:

9/11 is back baby, it’s good again

hell, we may hit it again on Tuesday with the Labor Day backlog

next Thursday is going to be like 4,000 deaths though if Florida does their now traditional dump that day

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Modernized version of the Seinfeld wedding arc that ends with George killing everyone off with those KN28s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

bad boys for life posted:

our 2 year old just had delta rip through their daycare, every kid was sneezing and had runny noses, and no fevers under 3. 3+ had fevers but that was it, kids all seem ok thankfully (hope no long covid bs).

Would feel better about the COVID in kids situation if anyone could explain why exactly kids don't get as sick. It's repeated as a truism everywhere but what's the actual reason?

My worry is that long COVID really is some sort of autoimmune disorder, and that just because it's asymptomatic in young children doesn't mean those auto-antibodies or whatever aren't there ready to cause problems as they grow older. This is just my pure unsourced doomerism and should be treated as such, but at the same time it has just as much evidence as the claim that there are no long term impacts from an uncomplicated pediatric COVID infection ie no evidence at all.