Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

shame on an IGA posted:

ok ok this makes sense, he didn't bring a knife with him but grabbed one out of a display or sale package after he was in the store and they're shutting this down until they can figure out how to force violent maniacs to pay for their weapons first

hosed up that he tried to return it as unused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

A guy did that in Germany. Grabbed a knife at the supermarket and went on a rampage. First person that died was a supermarket employee. Motive was some mental illness / islamism mix iirc

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'd also like to point out that our police don't carry. It's not really clear if his tail was specifically authorised to do so, or whether there was weaponry close by in case they needed it, but it's a pretty big deal for armed response that fast here.

I'm guessing the detail was STG guys and that they must have some provision to be armed, or they had another couple of guys armed waiting in a vehicle outside. Even if they were right outside, 1 minute is a crazy fast response time, will be interesting to see if they release details.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Possibly the most :patriot: thing I've seen in a while.

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1433922442850930696?s=19

The only more American thing would be if the gunshot victims were from a school shooting.

So when can we give permission to boot these dipshits out of their beds so someone else can have a chance?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'd also like to point out that our police don't carry. It's not really clear if his tail was specifically authorised to do so, or whether there was weaponry close by in case they needed it, but it's a pretty big deal for armed response that fast here.

As to why he wasn't in jail - he had been previously, and was obviously a person of great concern, but there was no legal standing to do so. Our terror laws are likely to change by the end of the month as a result.

They do have tasers though, right? Or is the police documentary I watch about the Wellington Police incorrect?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Something I’ve been thinking about lately… and I’m just kind of rambling here: did anyone really think the flu shot was the only annual disease vax/booster we would ever get from now until eternity? That NOTHING else would ever pop up ever in the history of humans ever?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

boop the snoot posted:

Something I’ve been thinking about lately… and I’m just kind of rambling here: did anyone really think the flu shot was the only annual disease vax/booster we would ever get from now until eternity? That NOTHING else would ever pop up ever in the history of humans ever?

For that matter, I wasn’t even asked one question or aign poo poo before I got my tetanus booster earlier thos year. Just matter of fact “you get tetanus today, roll up your sleeve.”

The fact that covid vaccines in particular are being treated this way is so fuckin’ nuts.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Dogg people don't even think the flu is real or at least worth vaccinating against

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

boop the snoot posted:

I used to only get the flu-shot and ESME starting in my kid-years, but some time in my mid-twenties, I started getting my tetanus booster every couple of years (like every 6?), so that's two regular and one semi-regular shot, but yeah, I never really thought that there'd be a separate "flu-type" vaccine that would be necessary as a regular vaccination. My understanding of the flu-shot in the past was that the shot is essentially "re-developed" each year due to the annual/seasonal variation-potential of influenza, so I always kinda assumed that we're already essentially re-vaccinating against a "different" virus every couple of years.

That a global pandemic would come around with the repercussions and vaccine necessity we see now...yeah, I don't think anyone saw that coming. There's always been the "background-noise" threat of pandemics (SARS, Ebola, etc.), but those never had any impact on global preventive measures

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mlmp08 posted:

For that matter, I wasn’t even asked one question or aign poo poo before I got my tetanus booster earlier thos year. Just matter of fact “you get tetanus today, roll up your sleeve.”

The fact that covid vaccines in particular are being treated this way is so fuckin’ nuts.

Hmm it's almost as if it's by design

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Rest assured, folks, Ro Khanna is on the case and will soon make sure all Americans are protected from the scourge of *checks notes* umm, non-genuine homeopathic products? https://twitter.com/RepRoKhanna/status/1433939541610618881?t=jVag4-D8rqmZdNANvGf37Q&s=19

Maybe he'll come out with regulations to protect the legitimate dousing rod industry from fake foreign knockoffs that either don't work or lead the user to contaminated water.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

Rest assured, folks, Ro Khanna is on the case and will soon make sure all Americans are protected from the scourge of *checks notes* umm, non-genuine homeopathic products? https://twitter.com/RepRoKhanna/status/1433939541610618881?t=jVag4-D8rqmZdNANvGf37Q&s=19

Maybe he'll come out with regulations to protect the legitimate dousing rod industry from fake foreign knockoffs that either don't work or lead the user to contaminated water.

Genuine homeopathic products should be the same as distilled water so that’s a good thing to regulate.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
This is an important subject to me as a manufacturer of homeopathic Ivermectin. We use only the highest quality horse poo poo.

LongDarkNight fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 4, 2021

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

LongDarkNight posted:

This is an important subject to me as a manufacturer of homeopathic Ivermectin. We use only the highest quality horse poo poo.

Oh, you’re the one selling “activated” ivermectin? :vomarine:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

hobbesmaster posted:

Genuine homeopathic products should be the same as distilled water so that’s a good thing to regulate.
Just ban all the quackery. Even if the product is not going to actively harm the user, pretending that it's anything but braindead magical thinking, much less legitimizing it by slapping an FDA approval on it without cigarette-pack-style "THIS IS FAKE AND WILL DO NOTHING TO HELP YOU", is incredibly dangerous.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cugel the Clever posted:

It makes sense in a twisted way, non-genuine homeopathic products would actually contain ingredients, which might potentially be harmful. It's effectively saying that places shouldn't sell contaminated water, just in an incredibly dumb way.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
For what it's worth about the popularity of COVID vaccines:

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1434176574547546117?s=19

It's a very, very noisy hyper-minority that votes in Republican primaries, so they've co-opted a party. While meanwhile, they're yelling about how Christmas trees suck.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Speaking from my own experience of the proliferation of extreme rainfall events and severe flash flooding being an inevitabilty in tons of places that have never been at risk of flooding before, it's more important than ever to keep Tetanus and Hepatitis vaccinations up to date.

If you don't remember the last time you got one, go get one.

Also AMA about getting 26" of rain in 24 hours

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

shame on an IGA posted:

Speaking from my own experience of the proliferation of extreme rainfall events and severe flash flooding being an inevitabilty in tons of places that have never been at risk of flooding before, it's more important than ever to keep Tetanus and Hepatitis vaccinations up to date.

If you don't remember the last time you got one, go get one.

Also AMA about getting 26" of rain in 24 hours

My doctor randomly decided that I needed one this year(they weren't wrong) and who am I to argue with someone waving sharp metal at me?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

tetanus is nominally a 10 year booster cycle, usually everybody should've gotten one around the end of high school and with all the vets here I'm sure the army was happy to stick all of you multiple times with it. It's dismayingly easy for me to remember when I'm due because shuttle Columbia exploded while I was on the way back to school from getting my first one.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I lost my shot record between AIT and Korea, so I got everything twice. Yay army medicine.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

My dad was retired army, so growing up I got all my shots through armymed regardless.

I got to basic and got all the shots again, “because there is no record of it”. They even gave me some childhood shots (like MMR) because they didn’t have the records.

Got offered a tetanus booster when I got stabbed in the head by a tree (netting 5 staples), so at least there’s that.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1434201307833851906?s=20

Saying what we already know: War is a racket

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Fallom posted:

Dogg people don't even think the flu is real or at least worth vaccinating against

I was listening to some random podcast and the guy the host was interviewing was talking about covid and then lets out, “isn’t it funny how the flu season only starts AFTER they start vaccinating people?” I turned it off couldn’t believe my ears.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Blind Rasputin posted:

I was listening to some random podcast and the guy the host was interviewing was talking about covid and then lets out, “isn’t it funny how the flu season only starts AFTER they start vaccinating people?” I turned it off couldn’t believe my ears.

I have become dumber by osmosis because of your post.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Surprisingly not Phoenix AZ (though not surprising it’s that it’s in South Africa).

Indian vs. Black: Vigilante Killings Upend a South African Town

As rioting and looting swept the country this summer, Indians in the suburb of Phoenix set up roadblocks to police their streets. Dozens of Black people passing through wound up dead

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/04/world/africa/South-Africa-Phoenix-riots-deaths.html?referringSource=articleShare

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My HS history teach did a multiclass module on Smedley Butler, where he gained experience, and why his speech/book was important. She told me later that it was an attempt to break through my skull to not join, or at least not be a Grunt.

I didn't listen. (Because I was a child)

I did volunteer work with the VN Vets Assoc. Everyone of those dudes tried to talk me out of it, explained why their war was a waste, and how literally the only people who came out better were the General Officers, politicians, and shills of bombs.

poo poo, one of my favorite writer's used the concept as a major point in the character- "I'm not going back to war so Cold can sell another million M16s.

It's a damnable disservice to our children and our society to not teach history. It allows us to continue to grind away our poor so that all the President's Men and Monsters to make more money.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sounds about right. Who else has demonstrated such excellent corporate skills as lying about results while boosting profits for business cronies?

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 4, 2021

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Blind Rasputin posted:

How many times have you heard “Oh I don’t get the flu shot, it gave me the flu one year.”

Or the more modern version, “Well I didn’t have [PROBLEM] until I got that COVID shot…”

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Tetanus vax made Covid seem like a breeze

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1434207046212022274

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Icon Of Sin posted:

My dad was retired army, so growing up I got all my shots through armymed regardless.

I got to basic and got all the shots again, “because there is no record of it”. They even gave me some childhood shots (like MMR) because they didn’t have the records.

Got offered a tetanus booster when I got stabbed in the head by a tree (netting 5 staples), so at least there’s that.

I swear I got mmr from the army every year. I was so surprised when two years before I got out, they finally verified I have already received mmr vaccine.

I think they are to lazy to check. That’s why there “isn’t a record” all the time, even if you have the record on you.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
A few months ago the reserve center put me on the shitlist for not having MMR and some other childhood vaccines. I emailed medical and asked if they seriously believed that I made it 16 years in the Navy without getting any vaccinations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

I think if you honestly want to stop people from signing up for a grinder, make JROTC required in the sophmore year. A year of wearing uncomfortable rear end dress clothes, while intermittently being required to wear even more uncomfortable full dress uniform which must be maintained or else, while getting yelled at by some 17 year old who thinks they're hot poo poo because they have an extra stripe on their cosplay, while a vet who is either way too jaded or way too thrilled he gets to play animal farm with a bunch of teenagers whiles away the hours.

I'm the dumbass who did it for three years before I realized I got better poo poo to do then play fake army and then go join the real army.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

tell me your local police department has a no pursuit policy without saying it

edit. Yup.

"Burlington Police Chief Mike Luvera told his City Council on Thursday that his officers will no longer respond to certain public disturbance calls or engage in vehicle pursuits[...]".

Untagged fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 4, 2021

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/hannahgais/status/1433668111354540050

I really do hope this is the end of Greenwald. Publishing a bunch of Twitter DMs between him and Chelsea Manning to settle an ego spat is just beyond the pale of what a rational human being- let alone a journalist- should ever do.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I really do hope this is the end of Greenwald. Publishing a bunch of Twitter DMs between him and Chelsea Manning to settle an ego spat is just beyond the pale of what a rational human being- let alone a journalist- should ever do.

I wonder how CSPAM is taking this.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yeah check the replies. Stans gonna stan.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

tldr: Glenn Greenwald signs his DMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

I think if you honestly want to stop people from signing up for a grinder, make JROTC required in the sophmore year. A year of wearing uncomfortable rear end dress clothes, while intermittently being required to wear even more uncomfortable full dress uniform which must be maintained or else, while getting yelled at by some 17 year old who thinks they're hot poo poo because they have an extra stripe on their cosplay, while a vet who is either way too jaded or way too thrilled he gets to play animal farm with a bunch of teenagers whiles away the hours.

I'm the dumbass who did it for three years before I realized I got better poo poo to do then play fake army and then go join the real army.

This could work for some, but for me, it would have pushed me further in. I did NJROTC for a few years before joining the Army.

I grew up abused. The kind of abuse the Army preferred, so to me it wasn't poo poo. Except at least the Army had a pay off.