Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I know, right? Everything's better with Bill Paxton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Predator was an 80s action movie, but a Predator shows up.

Predator 2 was a hard-boiled cop movie, but Gary Busey a Predator shows up.

We clearly need to go back to this formula. *Genre*, but a Predator shows up.

Rocky goes to fight Mr. T or Drago but a Predator enters the ring.

You guys are making me come around a little.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I've heard very good things about the Archie vs Predator story, maybe they should wrap up the TV show with an adaptation of that.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Road House but a Predator shows up.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Punisher vs Predator. So obvious, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BiggerBoat posted:

Was it "tits"?
Just imagining this in the internet age.

"Me da took me to a film and there were a bunch of naked people showerin' an' you could see the ladies' boobs but nobody started railin' no-one!"
"Were any o' them step-sisters?"
"Oh right no, yeah tha' explains it."

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Point Break, but Patrick Swazye is actually a Predator. He pulls off the Reagan mask... then pulls off a Swayze mask.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Was it "tits"?

Of course, I’m American.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
We finally got to play some of the Alien: Fate of the Nostromo board game. The game is fun but having an actual cat in play makes makes accessing the cryo chamber almost impossible.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Jonesy!

I'm going to play some Fireteam tonight if anyone wants to join. Not sure what discord we were all in before to chat. But we should get this rolling.

I'm going to do the second mission now to learn more of the game. I'd prefer to learn with goons. :)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Someone play with me.

I don't know how to leave a multiplayer game without exiting the entire game to the desktop. :(

I've seen a few bugs as well that I hope they fix.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Predator was an 80s action movie, but a Predator shows up.

Predator 2 was a hard-boiled cop movie, but Gary Busey a Predator shows up.

We clearly need to go back to this formula. *Genre*, but a Predator shows up.

I wish I could find this article/ review/ blog post or something I read back in the day that described almost offhandedly "that distinctly American model of horror that plays out like another story being interrupted," which is something that's always stuck with me partly because I actually have a hard time imagining a good horror story that isn't that in some way... but maybe that's because I'm an American? :911:

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Nope. Most people in here like the theatrical cut. We've had many conversations about this before.

Come to think of it, the most common sentiment I run into about this is usually "I love the SE except for ____ scene" which you could parse either way, haha.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I was Thinking About Aliens and decided to fire up Aliens3. Unfortunately Disney+ is the theatrical cut.

I only just noticed that Ripley's rank is Lieutenant, is there any discussion in the expanded universe about the promotion from Warrant Officer? I thought she boarded the Sulaco as a civilian.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

(By the time I finished this post, like a whole page had been added to the thread and now this sort of feels like beating a dead horse a bit. But it's all in good fun and I'm not going to let all that typing go to waste!)

This inquest is here to pass judgment on Aliens: Special Edition who stands accused of adding a lot of unnecessary bloat (42 million in adjusted minutes) back into 'Aliens,' for reasons unknown.

The analysis team went over the film centimeter by centimeter to determine what has been altered and if anything can be salvaged:

Ripley's Daughter
Ripley losing a daughter is touching. Ripley finding a surrogate daughter is touching. Doing both in the same movie is some corny as gently caress Hallmark Channel poo poo that makes it seem like Ripley regards children as replaceable pet gerbils. Would Alien3 have played any better if it ended with "it's ok that Newt died because Ripley finds yet another little girl to replace her with?" No, that'd be obscene! Verdict: Remove!

Van Leuwen's Verdict
Nobody cares that Ripley loses her license. Not even Ripley: she doesn't go back to LV-426 to restore her license, she goes back so she can destroy the aliens. This movie is about fighting the aliens. Also it's much more enjoyable to go directly from Ripley's freak out to "Case Closed." Verdict: Remove

The Colony/The Jordens' Discovery
Guilty of multiple crimes, the first being these are two of the worst looking scenes in the movie and almost look like they were shot by another DP. It's mostly because it's so bright and that's by design, but it reveals how cheap everything looks. The Jordens' vehicle has a charming design but looks like a child's hand is going to move in from off-screen and grab it because we're actually watching toy commercial footage.

If it looks like a different movie, it also feels like one, too, as these scenes establish that the movie is no longer from Ripley's perspective but Ripley and Newt's, and shifts from a focused thriller to a family drama. Verdict: Remove!

Burke's Answer
Burke explains why he's coming along with the mission, blah blah, causing some meandering to a scene that is already hurt by this extended cut: 20 minutes into the film we are less patient watching characters argue over whether to get the plot started, especially now that we know there's a little girl in need of rescuing. We already know you're gonna go, Ripley, quit dragging your feet! Verdict: Remove!

Int. Sulaco
A nice homage to 'Alien' as we get quietly acquainted with the corridors of the ship we're going to be spending most of the movie in... wait, we're NOT? What the gently caress is the point of this, then? Verdict: Remove!

Hudson's Hubris
After some fine character introductions and getting to know our cast, including wise-cracking wannabe badass Hudson, we're finally in the dropship and can get this show on the road... Wait, I guess the movie isn't done showing us how Hudson is a wise-cracking wannabe badass. Can we hurry the gently caress up, please? No wonder Hicks is asleep. Verdict: Remove!

False Alarm
Hudson and Vasquez get the drop on what turns out to be some pet hamsters, which is like a metaphor for the audience watching the movie at this point. In Aliens theatrical when the marines don't encounter any aliens upon their initial entry into the colony, it's a relief. Here it's a disappointment because we're nearly an hour into the movie and we really should be receiving some kind of payoff by now. The tension is diffused to the point where we really can believe we've missed all the alien action.

Also: the film is obviously sped up when Hudson and Vasquez bust through the door and it looks really goofy. Verdict: Remove!

Ripley Pauses
I don't mind the idea behind this scene, but I'm not wild about the execution. Sigourney Weaver uses this kind of innocent expression that feels off. Also she's holding the movie up again. Verdict: Remove!

At 1 hour and 14 minutes the xeno action finally commences in earnest. That's like an entire Pokemon movie! Couple the aliens' extreme fashionable lateness with the fact that their presence hasn't scaled along with the rest of the runtime (in fact in some ways their presence has been reduced, as I'll get into later), and the aliens feel sidelined in their own movie.

The Sentry Guns
This isn't either of the scenes where we see the sentry guns in action but rather the various extensions to the planning and fort setup scenes that their inclusion necessitates. It's like collateral damage to what was already arguably the most boring stretch of the film. Verdict: Remove!

Newt's Questions
We are so safe and cozy that Ripley and Newt can giggle about where babies come from and such, which is great if you're making a movie for Nickelodeon. Verdict: Remove!

Hudson's "Ant" Theory

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

"These things ain't ants, pendejo" :haw:
Verdict: Remove!

The Aliens Attack
The admittedly tense sentry gun scenes have the nearly catastrophic side effect of confirming that the characters are safe in their makeshift fortress, which was not something you could take for granted in the original cut. This is what I meant earlier by the aliens' reduced presence here: the xenos haunted the theatrical cut like ghosts, and the simmering intensity it managed to sustain through the talk-heavy midsection is dropped almost entirely by the Special Edition, because we know the aliens are kept at bay and are not already here. Verdict: Remove!

The Aliens Retreat
See above. Verdict: Remove!

First Name Basis
In 19 minutes the area's going to be a mushroom cloud the size of Nebraska and in even less time Newt's going to become a feast for facehuggers, but we have plenty of time to drop EVERYTHING and have Ripley and Hicks make puppy eyes at each other. I don't even mind the dialogue, just have the exchange while Ripley's gathering her poo poo and cut out the dramatic pauses. Because the absolute last thing this edition needs, at this moment in the film, is yet another interruption. Verdict: Remove!

CONCLUSION
It is the finding of this court of inquiry that Aliens: Special Edition has been put together with questionable judgment and that each and every one of its additions is excisable.

Now, no criminal charges will be filed against it at this time and it will be released on its own recognizance for a six-month period of psychometric probation, to include monthly review by an ICC psychiatric technician. These proceedings are closed.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

skasion posted:

Merchant-Ivory drama, but a Predator shows up

I mean - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_and_Prejudice_and_Zombies_(film)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Someone play with me.

I don't know how to leave a multiplayer game without exiting the entire game to the desktop. :(

I've seen a few bugs as well that I hope they fix.

Another bug hunt?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

(By the time I finished this post, like a whole page had been added to the thread and now this sort of feels like beating a dead horse a bit. But it's all in good fun and I'm not going to let all that typing go to waste!)

This inquest is here to pass judgment on Aliens: Special Edition who stands accused of adding a lot of unnecessary bloat (42 million in adjusted minutes) back into 'Aliens,' for reasons unknown.

The analysis team went over the film centimeter by centimeter to determine what has been altered and if anything can be salvaged:

Ripley's Daughter
Ripley losing a daughter is touching. Ripley finding a surrogate daughter is touching. Doing both in the same movie is some corny as gently caress Hallmark Channel poo poo that makes it seem like Ripley regards children as replaceable pet gerbils. Would Alien3 have played any better if it ended with "it's ok that Newt died because Ripley finds yet another little girl to replace her with?" No, that'd be obscene! Verdict: Remove!

Van Leuwen's Verdict
Nobody cares that Ripley loses her license. Not even Ripley: she doesn't go back to LV-426 to restore her license, she goes back so she can destroy the aliens. This movie is about fighting the aliens. Also it's much more enjoyable to go directly from Ripley's freak out to "Case Closed." Verdict: Remove

Guilty of multiple crimes, the first being these are two of the worst looking scenes in the movie and almost look like they were shot by another DP. It's mostly because it's so bright and that's by design, but it reveals how cheap everything looks. The Jordens' vehicle has a charming design but looks like a child's hand is going to move in from off-screen and grab it because we're actually watching toy commercial footage.

If it looks like a different movie, it also feels like one, too, as these scenes establish that the movie is no longer from Ripley's perspective but Ripley and Newt's, and shifts from a focused thriller to a family drama. Verdict: Remove!

Burke's Answer
Burke explains why he's coming along with the mission, blah blah, causing some meandering to a scene that is already hurt by this extended cut: 20 minutes into the film we are less patient watching characters argue over whether to get the plot started, especially now that we know there's a little girl in need of rescuing. We already know you're gonna go, Ripley, quit dragging your feet! Verdict: Remove!

Int. Sulaco
A nice homage to 'Alien' as we get quietly acquainted with the corridors of the ship we're going to be spending most of the movie in... wait, we're NOT? What the gently caress is the point of this, then? Verdict: Remove!

Hudson's Hubris
After some fine character introductions and getting to know our cast, including wise-cracking wannabe badass Hudson, we're finally in the dropship and can get this show on the road... Wait, I guess the movie isn't done showing us how Hudson is a wise-cracking wannabe badass. Can we hurry the gently caress up, please? No wonder Hicks is asleep. Verdict: Remove!

False Alarm
Hudson and Vasquez get the drop on what turns out to be some pet hamsters, which is like a metaphor for the audience watching the movie at this point. In Aliens theatrical when the marines don't encounter any aliens upon their initial entry into the colony, it's a relief. Here it's a disappointment because we're nearly an hour into the movie and we really should be receiving some kind of payoff by now. The tension is diffused to the point where we really can believe we've missed all the alien action.

Also: the film is obviously sped up when Hudson and Vasquez bust through the door and it looks really goofy. Verdict: Remove!

Ripley Pauses
I don't mind the idea behind this scene, but I'm not wild about the execution. Sigourney Weaver uses this kind of innocent expression that feels off. Also she's holding the movie up again. Verdict: Remove!

At 1 hour and 14 minutes the xeno action finally commences in earnest. That's like an entire Pokemon movie! Couple the aliens' extreme fashionable lateness with the fact that their presence hasn't scaled along with the rest of the runtime (in fact in some ways their presence has been reduced, as I'll get into later), and the aliens feel sidelined in their own movie.

The Sentry Guns
This isn't either of the scenes where we see the sentry guns in action but rather the various extensions to the planning and fort setup scenes that their inclusion necessitates. It's like collateral damage to what was already arguably the most boring stretch of the film. Verdict: Remove!

Newt's Questions
We are so safe and cozy that Ripley and Newt can giggle about where babies come from and such, which is great if you're making a movie for Nickelodeon. Verdict: Remove!

Hudson's "Ant" Theory

The Aliens Attack
The admittedly tense sentry gun scenes have the nearly catastrophic side effect of confirming that the characters are safe in their makeshift fortress, which was not something you could take for granted in the original cut. This is what I meant earlier by the aliens' reduced presence here: the xenos haunted the theatrical cut like ghosts, and the simmering intensity it managed to sustain through the talk-heavy midsection is dropped almost entirely by the Special Edition, because we know the aliens are kept at bay and are not already here. Verdict: Remove!

The Aliens Retreat

First Name Basis
In 19 minutes the area's going to be a mushroom cloud the size of Nebraska and in even less time Newt's going to become a feast for facehuggers, but we have plenty of time to drop EVERYTHING and have Ripley and Hicks make puppy eyes at each other. I don't even mind the dialogue, just have the exchange while Ripley's gathering her poo poo and cut out the dramatic pauses. Because the absolute last thing this edition needs, at this moment in the film, is yet another interruption. Verdict: Remove!

CONCLUSION
It is the finding of this court of inquiry that Aliens: Special Edition has been put together with questionable judgment and that each and every one of its additions is excisable.

Now, no criminal charges will be filed against it at this time and it will be released on its own recognizance for a six-month period of psychometric probation, to include monthly review by an ICC psychiatric technician. These proceedings are closed.

James Cameron really needs to hurry up and complete his Avatar bullshit so that I can get Aliens on UHD. I've still got that ancient special edition DVD which has all of that. It's been so long since I've seen the theatrical cut, I forgot how much was added :negative:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Iron Crowned posted:

James Cameron really needs to hurry up and complete his Avatar bullshit so that I can get Aliens on UHD. I've still got that ancient special edition DVD which has all of that. It's been so long since I've seen the theatrical cut, I forgot how much was added :negative:

Maybe my eyes are a bit hosed but the I thought the Bluray looked great in terms of detail, is a UHD really necessary? That said, I’ve not seen the new Alien release some have been going gaga for.

Dunno, I just find it all diminishing returns a bit. I saw Godzilla v Kong at both 1080 and 4k and couldn’t really tell the difference. It doesn’t feel like the jumps that VHS to DVD to Bluray was.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Neo Rasa posted:

We finally got to play some of the Alien: Fate of the Nostromo board game. The game is fun but having an actual cat in play makes makes accessing the cryo chamber almost impossible.

I don't care what thread this is, I demand more cat photos.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Ripley's Daughter

Van Leuwen's Verdict

Burke's Answer

Int. Sulaco

Hudson's Hubris

False Alarm

Ripley Pauses

The Sentry Guns

Newt's Questions

Hudson's "Ant" Theory

The Aliens Attack

The Aliens Retreat

First Name Basis

CONCLUSION

yeah but sentry guns

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I was Thinking About Aliens and decided to fire up Aliens3. Unfortunately Disney+ is the theatrical cut.

I only just noticed that Ripley's rank is Lieutenant, is there any discussion in the expanded universe about the promotion from Warrant Officer? I thought she boarded the Sulaco as a civilian.

Restoration of flight status was Burke's sweetener for Ripley. Why would she settle for WO, with little prospect for promotion, if LT is right there? Also, 60-odd years is a long time to accrue promotion points.

Maybe it was easier for Burke to sneak her into the mission as a Merchant Marine advisor, rather than a longshoreman. He certainly didn't go through higher official channels to make that happen. Rubber stamp the whole way. No one was around after Aliens to recind her rank. The first W-Y knew she was alive was after recieving the SOS from the prison.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This was a great post and sums up where I am with it to a tee.

I remember watching Aliens a few years back for the first time in forever without realizing it was the special edition and wondering why in the hell it was so slow and boring. The person I was watching it with had never seen it and after about an hour asked me if there were any aliens in this movie.

The theatrical cut is damned near perfect and they did a good job editing it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Another thing that I didn't like about Alien 3 (and I honestly can't remember it being specific to the assembly cut or not), is that the company lets that one random prisoner survive. They abandon Fury 151, taking that one remaining prisoner with them (presumably to a different prison elsewhere), and even just his story about the existence of a deadly and hostile alien is going to be bad for WY at some point for a bunch of reasons.

Really feels like him not getting killed makes the company seem... not so bad after all?

85 hitting not-Bishop out of the blue and getting shot is also a bit... "why?" for me. I know he's not the sharpest tool in the box, but not-Bishop isn't even the one who fired a gun at Ripley and the prisoner, walloping him just got himself killed. His constant talk about his wife and kid shows he wanted to survive and go back to his own life, and suddenly attacking the company guy who has armed commandos surrounding him is more suicidal than most of the stuff they did facing off against the alien.

Yeah, people do dumb things, the last couple of years really proves that point, but still... doesn't sit right with me. Guy could do nothing and go home, probably with a promotion for being helpful to the company.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

Another thing that I didn't like about Alien 3 (and I honestly can't remember it being specific to the assembly cut or not), is that the company lets that one random prisoner survive. They abandon Fury 151, taking that one remaining prisoner with them (presumably to a different prison elsewhere), and even just his story about the existence of a deadly and hostile alien is going to be bad for WY at some point for a bunch of reasons.

Really feels like him not getting killed makes the company seem... not so bad after all?

85 hitting not-Bishop out of the blue and getting shot is also a bit... "why?" for me. I know he's not the sharpest tool in the box, but not-Bishop isn't even the one who fired a gun at Ripley and the prisoner, walloping him just got himself killed. His constant talk about his wife and kid shows he wanted to survive and go back to his own life, and suddenly attacking the company guy who has armed commandos surrounding him is more suicidal than most of the stuff they did facing off against the alien.

Yeah, people do dumb things, the last couple of years really proves that point, but still... doesn't sit right with me. Guy could do nothing and go home, probably with a promotion for being helpful to the company.

85 showed loyalty to something other than the company, the remaining man looked out for self. Put yourself in a company man's shoes. Who do you trust?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sentinel Red posted:

Maybe my eyes are a bit hosed but the I thought the Bluray looked great in terms of detail, is a UHD really necessary? That said, I’ve not seen the new Alien release some have been going gaga for.

Dunno, I just find it all diminishing returns a bit. I saw Godzilla v Kong at both 1080 and 4k and couldn’t really tell the difference. It doesn’t feel like the jumps that VHS to DVD to Bluray was.

UHD really shines for movies that were made before the mid 90's, and the Alien UHD is beautiful.

I will sorta agree that Blu-ray is "good enough" for most circumstances, and for the most part I'm not likely to upgrade from a Blu-ray to a UHD.

Where the format does shine is it's depth of colors. I'd say it's the closest to seeing a movie in the theater. As a bonus the people releasing the catalog titles, for the most part, have learned that the people buying UHDs want an authentic picture, so they're not DNRing everything into wax, and you get all that wonderful film grain.

Seriously, watch the opening of The Shining on 4k tv with UHD/Dolby Vision and tell me it doesn't look jaw dropping.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

85 was an authoritarian at heart and that's a two way street, without Andrews (an unambiguously direct superior) to order him around he ends up just going with whatever he's been told last. If he were on earth today he'd be one of those people buying boxes of horse parasite medicine.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Neo Rasa posted:

Sounds like they ripped off Lily C.A.T.

Well, it's only fair...

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

I remember watching Aliens a few years back for the first time in forever without realizing it was the special edition and wondering why in the hell it was so slow and boring. The person I was watching it with had never seen it and after about an hour asked me if there were any aliens in this movie.

I imagine Special Edition fans reading our posts like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKv7mB1j80c
(replace "dinosaurs" with "aliens")

Capt.Whorebags posted:

I was Thinking About Aliens and decided to fire up Aliens3.

I genuinely no-sarcasm love it whenever I hear someone say "Aliens 3." I think it's the give-no-fucks casualness that it evokes. Like you'd never correct someone who said it without feeling like the biggest dweeb in the world.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
what if they say aliens cubed

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Ali3 n 3
......\_/

It was supposed to be alittle face

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I remember when the commercials for Alien3 first ran on TV and my older brother looked at the logo incredulously and went, "...Alien to the Third Power?"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I remember seeing a big billboard for Alien 3 with the egg on it when I was a kid and it scared me. I drove by it a lot. :ohdear:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mudskipp posted:

Ali3 n 3
......\_/

It was supposed to be alittle face

I thought it was a trash can sliding along to catch the n

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Alien to the Third Power

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

skasion posted:

Merchant-Ivory drama, but a Predator shows up

Would you take Terminator?

https://dai.ly/x2vgtyl

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Alien ᗡ===3

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Parkingtigers posted:

Alien ᗡ===3

:yeshaha:

I might play Fireteam later if anyone wants to join.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

:yeshaha:

I might play Fireteam later if anyone wants to join.

I just got done playing a bit so I’m taking a break, but I’ll be down for more later on.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
http://i.imgur.com/oxAF3HG.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

You're one adorable motherfucker.