Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

goferchan posted:

https://twitter.com/chuckkallenbach/status/1434171682894221313?s=21

Did Wizards ban devs from competing games from playing MTG competitively or something? Not sure what this guy or LSV is alluding to

Organized play has no announced future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

goferchan posted:

Did Wizards ban devs from competing games from playing MTG competitively or something? Not sure what this guy or LSV is alluding to

He's been a dev for at least two separate games for a while now (Eternal and FAB), so I can't imagine it would be that. More than likely the juice isn't worth the squeeze as far as competitive MTG play when taking into account return on investment for time spent, travel, etc.

Once WOTC unfucks high level competitive play I'm sure he (and a lot of other pros) will be back.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

goferchan posted:

wotc is killing organized play for good this time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I feel like how well sales did during the pandemic undermined marketing's argument that the protour was a vital piece of advertising.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Cyberpunk kamigawa is happening? I've been wanting this set for years I'm so drat hyped.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

WombatCyborg posted:

Cyberpunk kamigawa is happening? I've been wanting this set for years I'm so drat hyped.

Yes and per the post above, you can create Frog copies of Cyberpunk Ninjas

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The pro tour was never a very good promotional exercise, it only appealed to players who were already engaged so much with the product that they knew the game well enough to know how to interpret paper magic on camera, which is a huge barrier to understanding or enjoying the coverage.

It was a nice bit of media for something I already enjoyed, but it wasn't gonna get the "buy the three booster blister pack at Walmart" set to show up to a GP or even FNM.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

Yes and per the post above, you can create Frog copies of Cyberpunk Ninjas

Would work better if they were turtle copies but I'll take it

510rems
Mar 26, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

This is the last I'll say on it before I get sucked into another argument:
The base line for a two mana uncommon lord is 2 mana 2/2 +1/+1 for all others of the type.
This what has become the standard with Inspiring Veteran, Legion Lieutenant, Sporecrown Thalid, allll the way back to Wizened Cenn.
Rares get abilities tacked on too.
This zombie doesn't even get that. It stinks.
Comparatively the vampire isn't a lord at all but has evasion and multiple triggers to provide value even beyond death.
I don't really care that they're "signposts" or whatever. What I care about is all the good text that the one card got that isn't present on the other.

it's a two mana lord for a non-niche tribe that doesn't get two mana lords. it's good.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

why three and sorcery? bleh

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Cactrot posted:

The pro tour was never a very good promotional exercise, it only appealed to players who were already engaged so much with the product that they knew the game well enough to know how to interpret paper magic on camera, which is a huge barrier to understanding or enjoying the coverage.

It was a nice bit of media for something I already enjoyed, but it wasn't gonna get the "buy the three booster blister pack at Walmart" set to show up to a GP or even FNM.

Yeah, but it still sucks that op is gone forever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
does making the copy into a frog negate legendary status for the copy, or does it have to explicitly state that it doesn't count as a legendary?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Captain Invictus posted:

does making the copy into a frog negate legendary status for the copy, or does it have to explicitly state that it doesn't count as a legendary?

Copies of legendary creatures are also legendary, it would be a Legendary Creature - Frog

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Panderfringe posted:

Yeah, but it still sucks that op is gone forever.

Pretty sure the bigger stores will fill the void and still have bigass tournaments that attract pros, but the magic pro tour going away is a big ol bummeroni

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Captain Invictus posted:

Legendary, like basic and snow, is a super type.
Frog is a subtype, it's below the type (which is creature) and two steps below super types.
So your new copy is going to keep its super types and types but lose its subtypes and have all subtypes be overwritten with "Frog"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cactrot posted:

Copies of legendary creatures are also legendary, it would be a Legendary Creature - Frog

The only legendary frog I need

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

This is a fantastic riff on Cackling Counterpart from OG Innistrad, I loving love it. :allears:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Holy gently caress

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sickening posted:

Organized play has no announced future.

Ohhhhh gotcha, that makes more sense. I was reading too much into the Direwolf part

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I need Unnatural Growth for my Gargos edh deck right now

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Very disappointing that the sludge monster that turns things into slimes isn’t an ooze.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Wouldn't be Innistrad if Reanimator wasn't a tier 1 deck

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:sickos:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

do flashback costs get reduced from the first part of diregraf rebirth's ability?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Strong Sauce posted:

do flashback costs get reduced from the first part of diregraf rebirth's ability?

Yes

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That card's gonna be nice with a few fat reanimation targets, a bunch of pest generators and Culling Ritual

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Trying to tell how good Rebirth really is. 4 mana is the default rate for reanimate effects and generally doesn't get there in constructed unless the archetype is really pushed in that Standard or maybe if it's effects number 5-8 backing up a more efficient card. Coming in at a base 5 mana, this card is going to need some creatures dying to get there, and it's going to be non-trivial to do that without spending mana in the first place, especially if you're trying to take advantage of the cost reduction to go off quickly so you only have like two turns to set it up. We've seen some sac outlets and some cheap graveyard enabling creatures already, so it's entirely possible that deck will be there, but I think this card is a roleplayer rather than a reason to play an archetype.

Flashback is interesting and has been good enough to see Unburial Rites get played even in formats where its mana cost is tremendous, but this costs even more than Unburial Rites and it remains to be seen how effectively its first line of text can be leveraged to alleviate that.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Assuming you were trying to make a standard reanimator deck what even are the good targets (that we know of)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Holy poo poo that flavor text

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Are there any good manadorks in standard?
Can you power out an early culling ritual into rebirth and flash it back?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

MikeCrotch posted:

Assuming you were trying to make a standard reanimator deck what even are the good targets (that we know of)

Vorinclex, Cragplate Baloth, Moraug, Inferno of the Star Mounts, Asmodeus

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MikeCrotch posted:

Koma and uhhhhhh, Icebreaker Kraken I guess?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ooh yeah, Koma is a prime target

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah I think we need to see more of the set to really have an idea of whether the card will be playable. It's got enough upside to probably see play with the right suite of enablers and payoffs, but it's not pushed enough to create the archetype on its own and on like 2 1/2 days of spoilers we've got nowhere near enough information to say how it will shake out.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think the card makes any sense in a traditional reanimator deck. The shell where I can imagine it being exciting is more like Aristocrats - sac some guys, reanimate a multi-bodied creature for GB, sac them, reanimate it again for GB.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

He's been a dev for at least two separate games for a while now (Eternal and FAB), so I can't imagine it would be that. More than likely the juice isn't worth the squeeze as far as competitive MTG play when taking into account return on investment for time spent, travel, etc.

Once WOTC unfucks high level competitive play I'm sure he (and a lot of other pros) will be back.

Pretty sure he has a kid coming soon.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

When ramp is strong and all the powerful creatures either have non-cheat clauses or cost 7ish, it's really hard ever justifying doing reanimation instead.

Pretty cool for a cheap pay to sac outlet creature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Pretty cool for a cheap pay to sac outlet creature.
Gonna call this guy Mentos.