Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Lady Disdain posted:

It bubbled a lot for the first 6 days or so (so much so that the jar leaked purple cabbage juice all over the floor of my pantry twice because I forgot to release the gas in time), but it's died down to almost a complete stop now.
The recipe I used said 15g salt : 500g cabbage, and I weighed everything :shrug:

e: Although, a recipe I've just found says it should be 2% salt by weight, which would mean that it's oversalted by half again.
How much salt do you guys use ?

But if it bubbled in the beginning, surely that means that it fermented, right ?

Most recipes give a salinity of anywhere from 2-5%, with that being a percentage of the food plus any added water. 2% seems to be the standard for low-sugar plants, while 3% works a bit better for preventing mold in higher-sugar ferments (eg peppers).

In any case, a difference of 1% isn't going to affect your fermentation much unless you're already bumping up against the ceiling of acceptable salt levels, which seems to be anywhere from 7-10% depending on who you ask. It might slow it down a bit, but it won't necessarily halt it.

From what you're telling us, it sounds like your kraut did have at least some fermentation activity. But fermentation can take a long time (I let my kraut go 3 weeks; it gets pleasantly sour but not commercial-kraut levels of sour), and there's a bunch of factors that can play into its progress besides salinity, like what temp you're fermenting at.

Eason the Fifth posted:

for what it's worth, I made a batch on 8/17 using the pioneer woman recipe linked a few posts earlier, and I only see a few small bubbles in mine. (I'd planned on letting it sit for at least two weeks, but this is my first batch and I don't really know what I'm doing beyond what the recipe says to look for.)

Yeah, you're not typically going to see HUGE bubbles with kraut or low-sugar vegetables. I've only seen big bubbles with things like red jalapenos and the like. Just stay the course unless you see visible mold, everything gets slimy/mushy, or the whole thing starts smelling like rot.

Fermentation is one of those things you can't always monitor just by looking at it, but there are some visual signs. Bubbles are just one indication. If your brine starts getting cloudy/you start seeing sediment after a few days to a week, that's also a decent sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Thanks; that's very reassuring.
I'm eating it every day now, because I've run out of store-bought. It definitely has a sourness to it that I can taste when I eat it alone. In a sandwich, it's subtle enough that it's not really noticeable. And it's definitely saltier than I'd like it to be.
I'm going to make another batch this weekend (or next weekend if I can't eat all the pickles in the fridge fast enough to use their jar), and I'll definitely reduce the salt in that one. And hopefully the second batch will be able to sit long enough to become properly sour before I eat it all.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Random recipe time! Neapolitan stuffed eggplant, stir-fried cucumbers, hot and sour noodles, beans sambar, bell pepper chutney, myoga yukari rice, masoor dal bhorta, Georgian eggplant rolls, passionfruit nicuatole, Vietnamese green mango salad, stir-fried bitter gourd, stir-fried tempeh, dry tossed flat rice noodles.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

I'm so impressed by the variety in what you post. Do you actually have such a varied diet?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Colonel J posted:

I'm so impressed by the variety in what you post. Do you actually have such a varied diet?
Not anymore lol, I live in semi-rural India and eat North Indian every single day. For COVID related reasons I don't even cook right now (that's why I don't post pictures in this thread). I used to live in California, though, where I did eat a diet with foods from tons of cuisines. It's actually not too hard to have a pretty varied diet in many ways. Let's see how:

For demonstration purposes, let's take all those recipes I just posted. Here is every single ingredient from all of those recipes (minus, like, salt and neutral oil and stuff). I've put an "F" next to stuff that lasts more or less forever (sauces that don't go bad in the fridge, dried beans, and dried spices which actually don't last a while but which are very easy to replenish when you're running low, so in effect they last forever). I've put a "U" next to stuff that's relatively unique to certain cuisines (doubanjiang, Shaoxing wine, amchoor powder, etc.). I've tried to be pretty liberal with the "U" placement - for instance, tamarind gets it, even though tamarind is in a variety of cuisines.

Eggplant
Olive oil FU
Garlic
Cherry tomatoes
Breadcrumbs F
Capers FU
Black olives FU
Parsley (fresh)
Oregano (dried) FU
Yuba FU
Dried woodear mushrooms FU
Doubanjiang FU
Ginger
Green onions
Shaoxing wine FU
Cucumber
Light soy sauce FU
Vegetarian oyster sauce FU
Fresh wheat noodles
Dark leaf vegetable
Sesame seeds F
Sesame oil FU
Black vinegar FU
French beans
Toor dal FU
Turmeric powder F
Chili powder F
Jaggery (optional) FU
Tamarind FU
Grated coconut U
Dried red chilies F
Urad dal FU
Coriander seeds F
Cumin seeds F
Fenugreek seeds F
Curry leaves U
Mustard seeds FU
Asafoetida FU
Bell peppers
Tomatoes
Urad dal FU
Chana dal FU
Myoga ginger U
Yukari rice seasoning FU
Short grain rice
Masoor dal FU
Onions
Green chilies
Mustard oil FU
Walnuts U
Lemon juice
Sweet paprika FU
Date syrup, maple syrup or pomegranate molasses FU
Fresh herbs (coriander, parsley, mint or basil)
Pomegranate seeds or quick-pickled red onion, to garnish U
Coconut water U
Coconut milk U
Masa harina FU
Ceylon cinnamon stick FU
Passion fruit pulp U
Vegan fish sauce FU
Lime
Green mango U
Carrot
Red onion or shallot
Vegan shrimp U
Mint
Amchoor powder FU
Bitter Gourd
Fennel Seeds FU
Tempeh U
Kecap manis FU
Rice noodles
King oyster mushrooms U
Dark soy sauce FU
Chile oil with sediment FU

Now let's group everything by category: Nothing, F, FU, and U.

Nothing
Eggplant
Parsley (fresh)
Garlic
Cherry tomatoes
Ginger
Green onions
Cucumber
Dark leaf vegetable
French beans
Bell peppers
Tomatoes
Mint
Bitter Gourd
Onions
Green chilies
Lemon juice
Fresh herbs (coriander, parsley, mint or basil)
Lime
Carrot
Red onion or shallot

F
Sesame seeds F
Turmeric powder F
Chili powder F
Dried red chilies F
Coriander seeds F
Cumin seeds F
Fenugreek seeds F
Short grain rice F

FU
Olive oil FU
Capers FU
Black olives FU
Oregano (dried) FU
Yuba FU
Dried woodear mushrooms FU
Doubanjiang FU
Light soy sauce FU
Vegetarian oyster sauce FU
Shaoxing wine FU
Sesame oil FU
Black vinegar FU
Toor dal FU
Jaggery (optional) FU
Tamarind FU
Urad dal FU
Mustard seeds FU
Asafoetida FU
Urad dal FU
Chana dal FU
Yukari rice seasoning FU
Masoor dal FU
Mustard oil FU
Sweet paprika FU
Date syrup, maple syrup or pomegranate molasses FU
Masa harina FU
Ceylon cinnamon stick FU
Vegan fish sauce FU
Fennel Seeds FU
Amchoor powder FU
Dark soy sauce FU
Chile oil with sediment FU
Kecap manis FU

U
Breadcrumbs U (freeze them and they can last forever)
Grated coconut U
Curry leaves U
Fresh wheat noodles U
Myoga ginger U
Walnuts U (freeze them and they can last forever)
Pomegranate seeds or quick-pickled red onion, to garnish U
Coconut water U
Coconut milk U
Passion fruit pulp U (freeze it and it can last forever)
Green mango U
Vegan shrimp U
Tempeh U
Rice noodles U (dried rice noodles can last forever)
King oyster mushrooms U

Let's start with the "Nothing" category first. That's the category that forms the basis of your shopping plan for the day/week/month/whatever. You buy stuff from this list depending on what is in season, or what looks good at the store, or what's on sale, or what comes in your CSA box, or what they have at the farmer's market, or what's growing in your garden, or what you feel like eating. In this category you don't worry about variety, you just buy whatever fits your criteria. For me this was usually whatever was on sale: 5 lbs of cucumbers for $1? Time to buy lots of cucumbers. Etc. Notice this is mostly vegetables, herbs, etc.

Now check out the "Forever" (F) category. That's your "always have these" category. These are versatile, long-lasting ingredients that you always want to have on hand. With just stuff from these first two categories you can cook all sorts of recipes from all sorts of cuisines. So for instance with those ingredients plus zucchini, potatoes, and olive oil you can make this. With those ingredients plus nothing you can make this. You can make this with potatoes. With white vinegar you can make this. With soy sauce, this. Again with white vinegar you can make this. I could list dozens of other recipes just for eggplant and a few other ingredients, but notice we already have Ikaria (Greece), Morocco, Tamil Nadu (India), Italy, Japan, and Russia covered. That's just starting with eggplant.

Now move on to the "FU" category, which is stuff that lasts forever and which is relatively unique to a certain cuisine. These are things you stock up on slowly over time. For instance, maybe one month you'll only eat Italian food. That's your time to stock up on capers, olives, and olive oil at whatever place sells Italian food the cheapest. Just get big jars/jugs/etc. of this stuff and you'll have them forever. Once you've got these Italian staples you can cook Italian food pretty much any time you want by combining the FU items with the "Nothing" and "F" items (example one, example two, although that latter one also needes red wine vinegar and fresh basil). Then, next month, just eat Chinese food. That's your time to stock up on yuba, dried woodear mushrooms, doubanjiang, light and dark soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, sesame oil, etc. Again, buy these wherever sells Chinese food the cheapest. Once you have them, you can cook basically whatever Chinese food you want, again by combining them with stuff in the Nothing and F categories (example one, example two). Then spend a month just eating Indian food, during which you can stock up on toor dal, masoor dal, etc. and from then on out combine those with Nothing and F items to make all sorts of stuff. And so on.

The real troublemakers are the ones in the U category. You can't just buy these once in a while and have them always sitting around. But you can make a million things without these, so in a lot of cases this category is irrelevant. (Notice that the coconut water, coconut milk, and passionfruit pulp are all from one special dessert recipe.) The rest of the time, these can be special treats every once in a while that you buy when you happen to be able to. For instance, if you're shopping at the Indian grocery store to replenish your toor dal, you might buy some curry leaves, some green mangoes, and a coconut or two, and that will let you cook all sorts of Indian recipes until you run out. (The green mangoes and coconut can be used in Thai recipes too.) Or if you stop by the Chinese grocery store you can grab some fresh wheat noodles or king oyster mushrooms. Etc.

"But Tycho," you might say, "I don't have a bunch of grocery stores nearby." That's fine - you just adapt to what you've got. In California I was basically spoiled for choice: Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Middle Eastern, Indian-Pakistani, and Turkish grocery stores were pretty easy to find. If you don't live in that magical wonderland you'll probably be limited to whatever the main immigrant ethnicities are in your area, but the fewer of those there are, the more likely those stores are to cater to non-mainstream tastes and thus to have a bunch of the FU items, which you only need to buy every once in a while. If for instance you live somewhere where most of the immigrants are from somewhere in Asia, chances are their local grocers will have a bunch of random Asian stuff from all over, like miso from Korea and Japan, soy sauce, vinegar, and rice wines from China, etc. So you often can get variety as long as you can find one ethnic store. And as a last resort, you can get a lot of this stuff online or sometimes at fancy grocery stores like Whole Foods (albeit for a price premium).

Once you've gone on for a few years like this, you'll have a well-stocked pantry of stuff that lasts more or less forever from enough cuisines that you can combine them with stuff in the Nothing and F categories in a zillion different ways and end up with a quite varied diet. Or just eat stir-fried broccoli with rice for dinner 7 nights in a row like I would sometimes also do.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Thanks for the effortpost, super appreciated. I do have groceries from many cultures around here and like to go and look around, but most of the time I'll stick to what I know which is... not a lot. I'm one of those people who'll eat the same thing every day for weeks, then switch to something else when I'm inevitably sick of it, usually stuff I can make big batches of so I don't have to cook a lot :D

May I ask how you got to semi-rural India from Cali? That's gotta be quite the lifestyle change!

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
That's an amazing and informative post, Tycho. But lol at the suggestion that you'll have capers and olives in the fridge forever; am I the only one who just eats them by the spoonful ?

I've added that recipe for dry tossed rice noodles to my list for next month, since I'll be heading into the next big down in a couple of weeks and might be able to find vegan oyster sauce.

Sauerkraut update (am I becoming one of those people who does nothing but talk about their children, only instead of children it's fermenting veg ?):
I tipped out a little of the juice (which in hindsight was a mistake; I should've saved it for something), and replaced it with plain water. It was immediately slightly less salty, which made the sourness a little more noticeable. I'm going to leave it for a day or two before I dig back in, and see if the less saline water can leach a little more saltiness out of the cabbage.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Colonel J posted:

May I ask how you got to semi-rural India from Cali?
An airplane took me most of the way.

Video time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDtZ-x0Fh2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz68i_oTpfk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pExQJw857aU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ecKhn5A64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvv2RqO89r0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-4bB3lMcJo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foBCLGilYoc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZIA3PgthGo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2wRPLFHdEA

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
New sauerkraut question (god, I know, I'm sorry):
If I add spices (current plan is fennel and coriander seeds, because I couldn't get caraway), should I throw them in whole ? Crack them up a little ? Toast them first ?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

This is the Fainting Imam almost.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Lady Disdain posted:

New sauerkraut question (god, I know, I'm sorry):
If I add spices (current plan is fennel and coriander seeds, because I couldn't get caraway), should I throw them in whole ? Crack them up a little ? Toast them first ?

Most use them raw and whole. Be sure to include them in your weight when figuring out your salt amount (it won’t make a huge difference, but rules of thumb and all)

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Excellent. Thank you.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Sambar, tomato and mint chutney and quick dosa. First go at dosa, not quite got it

I've never actually had dosa before so I reckon it was a decent first go but gonna use different recipe and method next time. It was a quick recipe just with chickpea and wheat flour and no fermenting because I didn't have the time but I'll try it proper next time!

Anyway it was delicious, sambar is always great

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Looks very good!

Shove some food pictures in your eye holes (at least oneo f the non-English videos has English subtitles on YouTube if you click the closed caption button):

Wild melon with chilies. You could replace the wild melon with all sorts of things, like cucumber or potato. Adjust cooking time as needed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXP1CYFQL7Y

Giambotta (Italian vegetable stew). Skip the cheese topping obviously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW16rpUBEBg

Two eggplant recipes here. The first has yogurt but the second is vegan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhhxQgKh5VQ

Fake Japanese "eel" with rice. Sort of fake poo poo but it's not using any sort of fake food or anything so I don't really mind. It's like a mushroom burger basically: yes, it's replacing meat, not with fake meat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU7Bg7uQ5VA

Andalusian potato salad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FlECnNchf8

Aloo poori, one of the greatest foods in the world if you ask me (use oil, not ghee, of course)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_TPMshTL1E

Tamarind rice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls1WdcBJ6Jg

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I would appreciate recommendations for GREENS. I braise collards for lunch prep periodically, but tbh it's more work than I want to put into a side dish most of the time, and I'm not that picky. Is there a super easy, decent-tasting greens recipe that I could make from fresh or frozen?

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I would appreciate recommendations for GREENS. I braise collards for lunch prep periodically, but tbh it's more work than I want to put into a side dish most of the time, and I'm not that picky. Is there a super easy, decent-tasting greens recipe that I could make from fresh or frozen?

Spinach, salt and a little water in a hot pan. When the spinach is wilted and most of the water evaporated throw in a little oil and garlic. When you can smell the garlic squeeze in some lemon and give it a second and a toss, then turn off the heat. Greens in less then 5 minutes.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Saag might be worth it.

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/sarson-ka-saag/

https://www.cookwithmanali.com/sarson-ka-saag/

You can also add something like tofu or chickpeas for more protein. I try to toss in whatever greens I have lying around the house into whatever i'm cooking.

https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/chana-saag/

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I love saag lol. It's funny, I just finished a giant batch of it, but I usually forget that it's full of spinach (even though I blended all the spinach). I like Priya's saag feta recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4G5Y2ghqEQ e: (not vegan)

I like that these use mustard greens. I haven't tried that.

Zosologist posted:

Spinach, salt and a little water in a hot pan. When the spinach is wilted and most of the water evaporated throw in a little oil and garlic. When you can smell the garlic squeeze in some lemon and give it a second and a toss, then turn off the heat. Greens in less then 5 minutes.

Right, why am I not just doing this? Easy.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 2, 2021

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I second Zosologist's suggestion. I also like to add chili flakes, and sometimes either soy sauce or balsamic, depending what I'm eating it with.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Welcome to Goons With Spoons > The Vegan Thread for Sauerkraut Updates !

My second batch is 6 days old, and is looking (and tasting) pretty fine !
Drumhead cabbage, carrot, coriander and fennel seeds, lots of dried chilli. Definitely less salty than the last batch.

Earlier in the week, I went a day without eating any of my previous batch, and in the 24 hours I was away, it took a massive leap in the sourness department ! It's now just about perfect, and is living in the fridge.
I've eaten more than half of batch 1, and if batch 2 follows the same trajectory, it should be ready to eat right around the time I finish batch 1.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Always love a good S3 (sauerkraut success story).

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Finally got a good batch of tempeh made. I got some starter from one of the US growers and tried a few times to make black bean tempeh. The internet claimed that for black bean tempeh you don't need to hull the beans and the mycelium will grow just fine. First I tried it in my oven without a good thermometer. Got some growth early but never really took off. Next I bought a good thermometer (one of the thermoworks probe thermometers) and put that in one of the bean piles. Again some early growth, but never really took off. I had real trouble regulating the temperature with my oven light, I had figured I could crack the door open just the right amount to balance it out but that just was impossible to maintain reasonably. Third try I bought a cooler and made it into a fermentation chamber with an inkbird controller and a seed heating mat. Again early growth but it failed to take off despite good temperatures, being pretty weak even after 48 hours.

I decided to just go traditional and got some raprima tempeh starter (ragi tempeh) since I think it's the most popular one in Indonesia. Bough some soy beans and got a corona mill to hull the beans, which actually worked pretty well. Got probably a 75% or more crack rate on the beans and most of them were not crushed. With them cracked it was very easy to skim off most of the hulls using my big metal bowl and just swishing them around, the hulls kind of float above the beans.

I put this batch in the fermenter and there was pretty much no growth at all at 12 hours, which I was very discouraged by. But by the time I got back from work (another 12 hours) it had pretty much finished and was in the process of heating itself to death, it got to like 104 F (40C) internal temps. I pulled it out of the chamber but it just kept heating up despite my efforts, so I stopped it a bit early.

Tasted very good fried up and dressed with a bit of soy sauce and shaoxing wine. My wife thought it tasted good but she couldn't keep from thinking of how it was made which was mildly weird to her. Maybe jokingly calling them moldy beans was a bad idea.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Bloody hell, that looks exactly like the commercial stuff ! Amazing.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

That rocks, did you just get the ragi tempeh starter from amazon?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That's super awesome. Making tempeh is one of those things I'd love to do one day.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

That rocks, did you just get the ragi tempeh starter from amazon?

There’s a bunch of re-sellers on etsy/eBay/wherever. Maybe Amazon too, I didn’t check there. The raprima brand is sold in 500g bags only, and the dosage is 2g per kg (tbh I’m not sure if that’s dry or cooked). That’s kind of a lot, so there’s a bunch of small-time resellers splitting up the bags and selling like 50g packets or whatever. Buyer beware on marketplace stuff like that of course.

There are a lot of other US-based manufacturers too. The previous starter I tried may have worked pretty well on the soybeans, but I ran out of it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Mexican recipe dump: avocado soup, chile-lime hearts of palm, mushroom chicharrón tacos, beans, and cactus in red chili sauce.

Plus some miscellaneous recipes: olive-walnut pasta, spicy cherry tomato pasta, Madagascar white bean tomato stew, smashed tempeh with sambal, and matzoh ball soup.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Gonna make that walnut olive pasta, looks good.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Nopales (cactus) is an awesome part of Mexican cooking that really takes up seasoning well, imo. There's a place here that does Jerk seasoned Nopales burritos that I'm trying to reverse engineer the recipe for because it's honestly one of the best burritos I've had since moving to the SW.

There's a ton of really cool Central American ingredients that I've been trying to make good dishes using, like Huitlacoche.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
When I can get nopales I love it, but it's hard to find in New England. It has such a great texture.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

When I can get nopales I love it, but it's hard to find in New England. It has such a great texture.

Are there any Mexican grocers or convience stores near you? That's where I buy them.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
Tangentially related, I've heard good things about the vegan leather made from nopal but haven't seen it yet in person.

https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/english/mexicans-create-first-vegan-leather-using-nopal

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Looking for some breakfast ideas to get out of the Western European routine that is becoming boring in our household.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I've found that breakfast is a far more interesting meal once you get past the idea of there being dedicated "breakfast foods."
Do I feel like eating curry, or spaghetti, or a burrito bowl ? Yes. Is it 7am ? Yes, but who cares. So I like to stock my freezer with what I call "half meals;" ie things that can be added to pasta/rice/bread, etc. to make a meal (because having a full meal in the freezer takes up more space than I have to spare). So breakfast prep of a morning involves cooking rice or pasta and throwing a container in the microwave.

Hot soup for breakfast on a cold morning is an unparalleled delight.

Not a super helpful suggestion for you, I guess, but there you go.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Mango Polo posted:

Looking for some breakfast ideas to get out of the Western European routine that is becoming boring in our household.
Here is a breakfast post I made from the last time someone asked.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Mango Polo posted:

I love, love, love congee/jook/粥*. It's one of my favorite things about traveling in SE Asia - it's always an option for breakfast.

Here's one recipe: https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/congee-chinese-rice-porridge/

The key thing, to me, is the balance between the relatively bland porridge and strongly-flavored toppings. So you need really strong flavors in the add-ons. Pickled veggies, soy sauce or kecap manis, concentrated broth, bitter greens cooked with lots of seasoning, sambal or chili paste, and marinated mushrooms are all good options. The congee itself is usually not very strongly flavored, so if you're not getting little bursts of flavor from the toppings then it can be pretty underwhelming.

*Note that my wife and kids strongly disagree with me on this and when I've cooked it at home I'm the only one eating it, so YMMV

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
I've been enjoying chickpea flour crepes and waffles, as well as hummus toast with za'atar for breakfast.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It's a typical breakfast food, but savory oatmeal recipes aren't particularly common in my experience compared to sweet ones. Easy to throw together, but different enough to be a novel breakfast thing.

Unrelated to breakfast, I am preemptively collecting Thanksgiving recipes because I'm like that, and if anyone has a favorite biscuit recipe to throw my way, that'd be cool. I'm looking for ones with more than just the....vehicle for gravy aspect to them. Spices, add ins, whatever. Just stuff that is more flavorful on its own.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Breakfast is saved. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Made a version of Gaz Oakley's mushroom shawarma this evening, after watching him cook it on his channel and drooling over my screen for ten minutes.

It was pretty amazing, certainly worth the bit of time to get everything together. In the grand scheme of things not that hard to make, just needs a free afternoon to put everything together, make the salad in advance, let the bread rise etc.

10 Portabello Mushrooms fried, smushed together onto kebab skewers and basted in a harissa, olive oil and date syrup sauce. Came out looking like a joint of meat.

And then served on flatbreads with a really nice fresh salad (and some soy yoghurt with apologies to the purists).