Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Cyouni posted:

Mitsuki is pretty handy in some ways. I prefer Yuuki's mobility ranged spam to her, but she's a lot safer. The barrier gives her the defensive power of Ys Origin's Hugo (which is really strong), but her ranged attack is slow and requires her to remain a lot more still than the other two.

It's really just boring to use her best gameplay, which is to constantly barrier up and then chuck out ranged attacks from safety, dodging when necessary.

You will be shocked to learn that I despise Hugo both as a person and as a collection of gameplay mechanics. :v:

:siren: Part 43: The Final Fantasy XIII Experience :siren:

The birdcage is... I'm going to hesitantly say "interesting" in the context of Tokyo Xanadu because it completely skips the exploration aspect of the dungeons and is literally a straight line combat gauntlet. This is all in service of rescuing a party member who has been up to some extremely stupid poo poo lately and everyone would love to give them a piece of their mind and... hang on, this is starting to sound familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Phil LaMarr's Aquaman was useful...probably, I dunno

I couldn't tell whether X_Chaos_Raven_X's belly flop counts as just one hit, but if so that's a perfect time for Mitsuki's bubble

has anyone said "Asuka the Grouch" yet

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
... I really gotta wonder what the heck is up with the "localization" "team's" use of quotes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

Phil LaMarr's Aquaman was useful...probably, I dunno

I couldn't tell whether X_Chaos_Raven_X's belly flop counts as just one hit, but if so that's a perfect time for Mitsuki's bubble

has anyone said "Asuka the Grouch" yet

Aquaman's degree of usefulness to the Justice League directly correlates to his facial hair coverage ratio. Clean-shaven Aquaman? Useless. Dad Beard Aquaman? God-tier.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Hwurmp posted:

Looks like it's just one big knockdown hit, yeah.

The localization team's use of "quotation marks" is one of my biggest peeves with the game. Somewhere around chapter 4, I recall the editing for them going completely off the rails.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Looking at the Japanese and they actually cut some of the quotation marks during localisation, but yeah, not really enough of them.

"hands of shadow"*, "common point", "folklore" and "fairy tales", "focal point"

* the flowery description sentence is worded differently in Japanese

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oh, is it "that" again? I detect "his" hand in all this. Heh...Perhaps "they" will bring in "those dudes" from "the thing" with "some stuff" "and" "then" *seizure*

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Anime Girls Posting their Ls

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
If Trails to Azure is any indication, the original Japanese often has "important" words in quotation marks.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

FrantzX posted:

If Trails to Azure is any indication, the original Japanese often has "important" words in quotation marks.
So you're saying a better localization of the heavy use of quotes would be to bold the word instead.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah bolding or italicizing important key words are common ways to do it. You could also render the text in another color, etc. Throwing quotes around important words just isn’t a thing you see in English.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

having a special color for important text is extremely overrated imho

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's nothing wrong with it, especially if there's a mechanic like in Final Fantasy 2 where you have to learn keywords and use them in conversation with NPCs, or an in-game glossary where you can click on a keyword to get a pop-up that tells you what it is, but if it's overused it can be annoying and if it's particularly egregious it can come off as condescending.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 44: ONLY an A Rank? :siren:

Though Kou and friends did conquer the Witch's Castle, Ryouta was sadly lost to the curse during their ascent. His death will not be mourned.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Remember, Kids! Reading Is Unsafe

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

My annoying gimmick boss fight senses are tingling.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

My annoying gimmick boss fight senses are tingling.

You ain't seen NOTHING yet :c00l:

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Mitsuki's barrier is good at keeping you alive if you actually use it at range before tanking large attacks to the face. The windup isn't that long (I think it's about the same as Shio's?).

I do find the "survive with 1 HP" skill sounds good, but there's a lot of enemies (and bosses) that do multiple hits, thus taking you to 1 HP and then instantly following up with a hit that KOs you anyways.

I don't actually think this dungeon gets rerun, because it's a special circumstance one vs "just lying around".

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- I think Asuka is mandatory here partly because this is her "I'm back" moment after being captured, and partly to ensure that there's at least one person in the party whose playstyle is good for fighting the boss.
- This is the part of the game where the gloves come off. This feels notably more hostile than any previous Eclipse dungeon.
- The "conspicuous pillar" hid a treasure chest behind a breakable wall. These breakable walls are a bit less obvious than the ones used in previous levels. There was a second chest hiding behind a fake wall shortly after the second spike wall chase. It took me several replays before I noticed that the minimap reveals all paths, even ones hidden by destructible walls.
- There are certain consumables (usually food items such as Meaty Udon) which offer "Nullify Ailments and Trap damage". Damaging floors are considered traps, so pop one of those items right before a trap or toxic section and you can safely run around on the surface as much as you like. Those consumable items last for a decent amount of time, essentially eliminating the need to take Mitsuki. Just be sure to pop another item once the buff icon starts flashing to warn you it's running out.
- That was a pretty high A, but you missed on the S-Rank because you missed the two hidden treasure chests, missed a couple boxes (getting all destroyables gives bonus points to the score), and your score was penalized for taking too much damage. Get those two chests and you'll have no problems getting S-Rank.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Hwurmp posted:

Remember, Kids! Reading Is Unsafe

I didn’t think Young Adult fiction would the destroy the world in such a literal manner.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

OddObserver posted:

... I really gotta wonder what the heck is up with the "localization" "team's" use of quotes.
I’m getting Frisky Dingo vibes from these latest videos for sure.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 45: Just Stare Into the Light... :siren:

Meant to post this yesterday, but here we are all the same. It's the finale to Chapter 5, and the Briar Witch is far and away the hardest boss we've fought in the game thus far. This is helped by the fact that she moves around so much that it's basically impossible to cheese her with Shio, so you actually have to like, try.

Anyway, as previously mentioned, this is gonna be the last video for a while but don't tune out just yet. We may have a in-flight movie coming up to bridge the gap shortly...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RHTiXvELNg&t=76s

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I̔̓̓ͦ ͕Ạ͕̝̪͙̺ͩ͋̌ͤͤ̍m͔͎̹̞ͧͥ̈̒ G͈͍̾̄o͓̝ͯ̌i̙̲͇̰̱̾̑̃ͨ̔̓ͅn͋g̃̒̅̔͂͗̚ T̺̝͍͖̻̀ͭͤ̎̃o̲̥͔ S̟͎̞͖̱̯̳͂̅͒̍̌ͤ̚wi͓̔ṉ̙̯͕̬ͣ̔͊̚̚g̗̝̗̉ͯͪ ͣͫ̒ͫͯ̀̌M̬͇̑ͥy͔ Ḁ͈͈̼ͅrm͍̟͕̝̼̜̹̅̒̇ͣͬ̈͒s A͔͈̒ͯnd͇͎̰̯̤͓̦ ̘͚̑͑If̱͓͙̦̬͍̈͗ͣͪ̅̚ ͈͈̞Y̳͓õ̊ͩṳ͚̱̟̫͕͑̍͌́ͭ̉ ̪̟̫̥W͚̹̩̓ͩ̾al̰̙̦͗ͧͩk͈̤̗̩͛͐͊ͨ ͎̲̽͐Iͤ̊n̮͍͈͚̮͇to̹ ͎T͙̠̠̙̥̓ͨͩ̑̎h̙̤̪̳͍̊̾̾ͧ̃eͫ̓̊̎͋̍m̻͕̭͓͒̏͌͒ ̬͂́ͅI͂ͥ̆̋̄t̝̰͕͚̫͙̾͛ͤ͒͊̇'ș͖͎ͯ̽ͨ Y͎͚̝̹ͩͪͮ̇ouͯ͊ͭͥ̐ͮr̹̲͖̗̜͑̔ͧ̆̒ ̱͕̳̟̖̰̐͑̓͑̌̈́̚ͅF͕̑a̳͓̲͈̙̯ͧ͋ͥͭͪ̈́u̓l̝͆t͙͎̱͈̲ͨ͗͆ͤ͗

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

The Mist Witch is the first boss I really had quite a bit of trouble with.

And yes, this boss is one of the things I meant when I said "bosses will hit you to 1 and then immediately follow up". Because of the clone trick and its ability to chuck out attacks quickly (fireball, swords, thorns aura), it's very good at doing multiple hits in a very short time, which can devastate an unprepared person instantly. You'll notice that the blade spin hits for ~570 against characters where HP ranges from 1400-1900, so getting hit by a triple blade spin has the potential to straight-up oneshot Sora. It also has a lot of high-damage attacks that stagger but not knockdown, meaning it can actually combo the high-damage attacks in a way most other bosses can't.

I love running with Yuuki as a character, and this is a boss he absolutely shines on (except for his garbage HP and defenses). His ability to chuck out ranged attacks while dodging for dear life is very handy. I'd say he's slightly better than Mitsuki for this, just thanks to the super high-damage phases that you don't want to pause for long on.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 12, 2021

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, that definitely was a difficulty spike. I liked the touch in the first run of the boss' thorns taking out Sora, then Asuka pops in right into the thorns and dies just as quickly because she's also on low health. :shepicide:

I also imagine that another knock against Professional Buzzsaw Shio for this fight is that he's so drat slow, and the boss can just unload so much damage in the time he takes two steps in any direction.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

As a random thing, I loaded up my copy and went into Boss Mode with Shio. (Of course there's a Boss Mode, it's a Falcom action game.)

My best clear time on Normal from 3 years ago with Yuuki was 2:14. I'm severely out of practice, but even so, my clear with Shio was 5:20. I also tried it on Nightmare with Yuuki just as a comparison, and I got 5:37 on that. I refuse to try Calamity for now. Effectively, running Shio instead of Yuuki is such a hamper that it's equivalent to going up two difficulty tiers.

The main thing I did remember from going through it is that just like any other Falcom boss, the Mist Witch has some prime weaknesses you can take advantage of that make it much easier. Mainly, saving your EX Skill, X-Drive, and X-Burst for when the boss starts spawning clones. Obviously, everyone has their differences in skill, but the best two EX Skills for clearing out clones are probably Yuuki, followed by Mitsuki - don't use anyone else's if you can help it. Shio's EX Skill is another reason why he's bad for this, by the way - it's totally possible for the boss to just entirely back out of the way of the entirety of the skill. If you get the timing right on your skill uses, you can effectively lock this boss into stage 1 forever, which makes it a lot easier.

Also, I should note that while this is the boss of chapter 5 of 8, it's not even halfway up the boss roster. The game still has a lot of ladder left to climb.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Cyouni posted:

Also, I should note that while this is the boss of chapter 5 of 8, it's not even halfway up the boss roster. The game still has a lot of ladder left to climb.

Can’t wait to see how the gang deals with an ever increasing number of witches.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I don't have anything fancy prepared for this but hell, it's basically to just fill time until we get Tokyo Xanadu back on track so it doesn't really need anything fancy. Anyway, Argate and I are gonna be playing Ys: The Oath in Felghana because...why not? It's great and relatively short (although I suspect we will not finish it by the time the LP properly resumes).

:siren: Part 1: The Plot Episode :siren:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
So regarding the VA, the PC version -- which is the original development platform and first release in Japan -- of this game never had voice acting, it was added for the PSP port, which was the first official localization of this game. When XSeed then later released the PC version, for various technical reasons they couldn't put the PSP voice acting back into the PC version, so it was released without it.

Fast forward some years. With the upcoming English release of Memories of Celceta on PS4, the PC version of Celceta was updated to add the Japanese voice acting XSeed had now acquired the rights to... and as a special surprise, Oath in Felghana was also updated at the same time to add the PSP voice acting into the PC version.

I'll also note that the PSP version has an extra intro sequence when you start a new game that (currently) is not in the PC version. It sets the scene a little bit for series newcomers, so feel free to watch it if you're not familiar with Ys.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 20, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Eece

it's pronounced Eece

:spergin:

e: holy poo poo Margo's voice

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Also, I don't blame you for getting this wrong since Falcom's development history is long and complicated, but them not doing their own ports is actually a fairly recent development. Up until the mid-2010s or so they still did a lot of the port work themselves (though not exclusively, they did outsource some stuff too); for example, the PS4 ports of CS1 and 2 were made in-house, using the earlier PC ports (which were outsourced to XSeed) as a feature set reference but technically being based on the original PS3 and Vita versions. They have stopped doing this though, everything you see on non-Sony platforms these days is indeed outsourced.

The PC was also for quite a long time their original development platform. The Sky trilogy, Ys Napishtim/Felghana/Origin, and Zwei/II were all originally PC games which were later ported elsewhere (or not at all in Zwei II's case); they only started doing console/handheld first with Ys Seven and Zero no Kiseki.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 20, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ys itself is the name of an Atlantis-like mythical city that was said to have been on the coast of Brittany, so the quasi-European country names aren't totally out of place

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
... I can't be the only one that thought that the monument to the God of Safe Journeys spontaneously exploded due to being within 5km of Adol, can I?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Look, it was trying, but Adol's Danger Magnet status caused it to overload. There are some rules of the universe even gods were not meant to defy.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Adol is the avatar of the god of safe journeys

this is the only reason he is still alive

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

As I recall, the Ys(es? Ysi?) are in order. But yeah, you'll have stuff like Geis appearing in Ys VI and Ys 7 (with a grudge against Adol), but overall the stories aren't connected. Exception, of course, is Ys 1/2, which are basically sequential, as Ys 1 kicks off the events of Ys 2.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Chronologically, they are almost in order. Ys 4 (Celceta) happens before Ys 3 (Felghana), and Ys 8 (Dana) is between 5 (which still has no 'proper' version) and 6 (Napishtim). And Origin is centuries in the past. But otherwise yes.

...Not like it really matters, the connections are rather minimal.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cyouni posted:

the Ys(es? Ysi?)

Yii

alternately, Yeese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
That opening animé intro reminds me of those late 90s fantasy OVAs like Bastard!! or Berserk, stylistically, so if it came out in early 2000s it wouldn’t have been that outdated at the time.