Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Forgotten City probably fits the bill better as an 'artistic time-loop game', though I can't judge it as my PC is too weak to run it.

Outer Wilds is a stellar time-loop that reminds me of Horizon Zero Dawn in that they thought of a conceit first (clockwork solar-system, cave-woman vs robo-saurs), then made a main plot that is all about justifying and explaining the premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Majora's Mask will always be the go-to timeloop game for me. Dont know if that counts tho.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DeafNote posted:

Majora's Mask will always be the go-to timeloop game for me. Dont know if that counts tho.

It counts, it is a time loop even if it is one that you control.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

DeafNote posted:

Why wouldn't it?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Mostly because I wouldnt call the timeloop the main draw of the game. (which 12 minutes desperately puts out)
But I may just be underselling that in my memory, MM has a far better setup and background for the timeloop,

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

nurmie posted:

between the incest, the vapid "high-concept" chin-rubbing loving void of a story that's been hastily plugged by "shocking" twists and the compulsion to have nothing less than A-list Hollywood actors doing the voices, 12 Minutes seems to just tick every single box in the list of lovely "This Videogame Is Art, Actually" elements

Which makes it weirder when it feels like people got over that anxiety 5 years ago. Its like a game completely out of time; people would of gone mad for it 10 years ago.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Life is Strange could theoretically be called a time loop game, given the implication that Max unknowingly rewound at the very start of the game and might have been stuck in a loop trying to save Chloe and the town at the same time, only breaking the loop at the end of the game when she realises (and accepts) she can't do both.

At least that's how I interpreted it.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

the best time loop game is shadow of destiny/memories purely for how off the rails it gets :colbert:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The best time loop video game is me constantly reloading my Hitman save

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

12 minutes is probably better than life is strange tbh

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

It is at least funnier

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

fun hater posted:

12 minutes is spectacularly bad. it has no point holding it together. it has a gimmick and a "twist" but the twist doesn't mean anything to you, the player because you don't know, care or empathize with these people. they don't evolve beyond being dollhouse figures you're smashing together in the hopes of generating a different result. but what tips it over to funny bad is that the game did not anticipate that the player would engage in anti-social behavior.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1430045563643473961

this is from voidbugers playthrough with i enjoyed very much
RT played through the game and ate pudding during his wife's emotional discovery of her evil brother, but also stole the health insurance number from the cop's phone then hid in a closet for an entire loop sitting on hold while his wife pleaded for her life. I would say just because the game doesn't stop you being a monster of a person doesn't mean it's unintentional for you to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90XXoswaBhk

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Endorph posted:

In no way.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

It is at least funnier

Is it funnier than this tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iR2yUsk41o

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

thetoughestbean posted:

The best time loop video game is me constantly reloading my Hitman save

lmfao

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ghostlight posted:

RT played through the game and ate pudding during his wife's emotional discovery of her evil brother, but also stole the health insurance number from the cop's phone then hid in a closet for an entire loop sitting on hold while his wife pleaded for her life. I would say just because the game doesn't stop you being a monster of a person doesn't mean it's unintentional for you to be.

Yeah given other stuff in the game (both things you need to do and things you can do) the idea the devs didn't expect players to do horrible things seems wrong.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
let me rephrase: outside of the specific insane things you do to torture your "wife", the game did not expect people to do random stupid poo poo. i think its hard to argue the devs intended for whats his face to go "mmm yummy" while his wife sobs on the couch lol. the more likely answer is they recorded one set of lines and didnt program in anticipation of that interaction

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if we're talking good time loop games, I hope folks here have at least tried out Loop Hero(I dunno if I just can't see it because I own it already, but there used to be a demo, not sure if it's still available or not)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G37bO9vg8RY&hd=1

really stylish visuals and the OST is an absolute banger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2vZlDz-UxU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hj9vra5-pc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kohMV7ui_1Q

I played it to completion and after figuring out the missteps I was making in planning out my map layouts and character progressions, it was a really satisfying experience that super scratched that "one more run" itch. I also really liked the depth in the secrets you could find, and the story was good too, it even has one of my favorite reasons for continuing to do runs after you've finished the story.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 5, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

fun hater posted:

let me rephrase: outside of the specific insane things you do to torture your "wife", the game did not expect people to do random stupid poo poo. i think its hard to argue the devs intended for whats his face to go "mmm yummy" while his wife sobs on the couch lol. the more likely answer is they recorded one set of lines and didnt program in anticipation of that interaction

I got what you meant, I just disagree.

If you haven't discovered some of the ways to speed up time then that kind of thing happens pretty naturally naturally in the game, and there are some sociopathic interactions in the game which aren't related to puzzles and which only exist to let the player do horrible things.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i think thats giving the game way too much credit but its up for interpretation

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Like one of the first things that happens in that RTgame video is the guy stuffing a whole plate of pudding into his pocket. 12 Minutes runs into the same problem many prestige game do; that all the seriousness instantly becomes ridiculous when the game breaks through the facade of realism. There's a point in VoidBurger's stream where the wife gets punched to the ground and she does the same exact "OWOWOWOAH" sound clip twice in a row, and VoidBurger laughs her rear end off because a serious moment is instantly turned into a ridiculous farce. The only ways to fix that kinda thing is to either crunch with massive amounts of dev time on extremely minor interactions or to rethink making a game so po-faced in the first place.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Does 12 minutes have a Tasty Plasma what for watching Spirits Within?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Lowtax should play 12 minutes for Gaming Garbage.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Ghostlight posted:

bobvids did it first :colbert: (funny stuff at the end, first part is full spoiler talking about what happens in the story)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8L1n3P8dUQ

e: while I understand why he change the name, I do miss the sheshells on the seashore

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Pigbuster posted:

Like one of the first things that happens in that RTgame video is the guy stuffing a whole plate of pudding into his pocket. 12 Minutes runs into the same problem many prestige game do; that all the seriousness instantly becomes ridiculous when the game breaks through the facade of realism. There's a point in VoidBurger's stream where the wife gets punched to the ground and she does the same exact "OWOWOWOAH" sound clip twice in a row, and VoidBurger laughs her rear end off because a serious moment is instantly turned into a ridiculous farce. The only ways to fix that kinda thing is to either crunch with massive amounts of dev time on extremely minor interactions or to rethink making a game so po-faced in the first place.

video games are inherently funny and will veer into the absurd regardless of authors' intentions (unless they spend ungodly amounts of money and crunch time polishing everything to hell and back). it won't lead to anything good if the game doesn't lean into this absurdity even a little bit

it's always extra funny - in that Leslie Nielsen kind of way - when the game desperately tries to be super serious and dramatic and fails miserably. it only takes one ragdoll crapping out in a ridiculous way or a soundbite glitching out or a facial animation getting stuck to ruin any attempts at seriousness

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Violet_Sky posted:

Lowtax should play 12 minutes for Gaming Garbage.

"why can't i hit her" says lowtax while playing the game probably

nurmie posted:

i got the feeling i wouldn't enjoy this game basically as soon as i heard of it, and nothing i've seen or heard about it since have changed that. on the contrary, the more i see of it the more i get annoyed by this game lol

between the incest, the vapid "high-concept" chin-rubbing loving void of a story that's been hastily plugged by "shocking" twists and the compulsion to have nothing less than A-list Hollywood actors doing the voices, 12 Minutes seems to just tick every single box in the list of lovely "This Videogame Is Art, Actually" elements

same. like i knew the second i saw the twist that it was gonna be some stupid loving "art" game thats sole thing is a dumb twist that it will try to play with like lenny playing with the puppies.

if you want a timeloop game. just get deathloop when it comes out. its an arkane fps/rpg roguelike game thats 1960s scifi meets Blaxploitation meets dishonored with guns meets groundhogs day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKVqwEsw4Uo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzjq6myYALo

Pigbuster posted:

true and with good games(serious or not) that can lighten the mood or be a funny blooper. but when its some self serious bullshit. it just shows how vapid and empty the game is.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Endorph posted:

The gently caress?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
life is strange is bad but twelve minutes still seems much worse

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Pigbuster posted:

There's no animation for actually carrying anything, so even if you let the wife set the table she shoves the puddings into her pockets and then pulls them back out when she gets to the table

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Antigravitas posted:

Well, it could be worse:

And IMO this is a good video and a great subversion:

"Both"

You can't say both for three things!!!

MonsieurChoc posted:

The gently caress?

12 minutes is novel and has some somewhat amusing puzzles and situations, LiS is just kinda terrible. If people like it great, but it has a tremendously hosed relationship dynamic for the main character that it presents as being healthy.

Not to mention the extreme level of trying to sound "down with the kids" in the writing.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 5, 2021

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Garrand posted:

There's no animation for actually carrying anything, so even if you let the wife set the table she shoves the puddings into her pockets and then pulls them back out when she gets to the table

Typical women with their pocket pudding.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

Typical women with their pocket pudding.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMRy6cjFK/

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i was led to believe it was rare for women to have pockets

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

i was led to believe it was rare for women to have pockets

Then where are they expected to store their pudding?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

edogawa rando posted:

You don't want to know

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

edogawa rando posted:

In their mouth, ideally.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

edogawa rando posted:

Pudding is stored in the boobs

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Acerbatus posted:

12 minutes is novel and has some somewhat amusing puzzles and situations, LiS is just kinda terrible. If people like it great, but it has a tremendously hosed relationship dynamic for the main character that it presents as being healthy.

Not to mention the extreme level of trying to sound "down with the kids" in the writing.

Although LOL at Max stanning Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Although LOL at Max stanning Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

For a very select group of very stupid players that made Max relatable, thank you very much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Abigail Thorn withdrew from accepting a British LGBT Award

https://twitter.com/WilksBecca/status/1430563594811346946

Several days old and probably talked about already, but I understand why she did.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 5, 2021