Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Blockade posted:

It's hard to have a bike in my city bike theft is so rampant :/

This would probably be fixed by giving everyone a bike

maybe try used bikes that aren't worth much but are still solid for getting around, and use the leftover money on a decent lock and tools. don't buy anything flashy, ideally you want your bike to look kinda lovely. if that doesn't work then you have my condolences... bikes are both fun and very convenient for getting around

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Bikes are really efficient and last forever. I ride a forty year old bike to get around and it’s good for another forty unless I leave it out in the rain and never clean it.

Yeah, there are jackasses on 10k carbon fiber things out there, but that’s not most cyclists. Guess goons gotta goon.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

A Russian troll farm posted:

Electric scooters are a waste of resources, and the usage of them should be grounds for immediate execution

how else are repeat dui offenders supposed to drive to work

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

A Russian troll farm posted:

Electric scooters are a waste of resources, and the usage of them should be grounds for immediate execution

kicks rear end to get drunk and crash a lime into some trash cans or w/e

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

you can do all those things with a bicycle, but also its good for your health and the endorphins from exercising make you not want to kill yourself

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

there are no more working class horses. all horses today are the property of the rich and elite who use them as a very expensive and high maintenance novelty. most cars are at least used by ordinary people who have no choice but to use them to go about their lives in modern society. no one who owns a horse has any "need" for them. horse trailer should go straight to the top of that list

anecdotal but acres homes, houston is well known for regular people, even kids riding horses around. it's not exactly the heart of the city but its also not a rural area and is built for cars like everywhere else here.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

look at this sky blue firetruck! it's impossible to miss!!

https://www.facebook.com/HCFRChief/posts/4395201870537423

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

thinkin bout buying a dirt bike this weekend (not a car (also not a two-stroke))

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

What's so especially bad about two strokes, are they just really dirty?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yeah they're pretty gross. four-stroke tech is pretty clean at this point especially if the exhaust incorporates catalytic converters, most new ones emit only CO2 and H2O and like ppm levels of other poo poo. two-strokes just wantonly dump nitrous oxides, carbon monoxide and unburnt hydrocarbons out by their very design. i try to avoid using two-stroke equipped machines as much as possible in my life

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yeah they're pretty gross. four-stroke tech is pretty clean at this point especially if the exhaust incorporates catalytic converters, most new ones emit only CO2 and H2O and like ppm levels of other poo poo. two-strokes just wantonly dump nitrous oxides, carbon monoxide and unburnt hydrocarbons out by their very design. i try to avoid using two-stroke equipped machines as much as possible in my life

bet you dont use straws and make sure to rinse your recycling too. what a mark.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i don't like smog :ohdear:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

if yr not rolling coal at all times not only are you not a leftist but youre not american. reducing your personal carbon footprint is for prius driving libs. pathetic little santa monica creatures who crawl on their bellies to the dick sucking station at the whole foods.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
chapo trap house

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I just want the thread to know that I have chosen not to replace emissions equipment with a straight pipe on my lifted F350.

You’re welcome.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Smythe posted:

bet you dont use straws and make sure to rinse your recycling too. what a mark.

I have a stock pile of styrofoam containers that I transfer
my Big Macs too

then I throw them in the ocean

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Epic High Five posted:

What's so especially bad about two strokes, are they just really dirty?

By design they burn the engine lubrication oil (motor oil) in addition to the gasoline. They are designed for power rather then efficiency, so as a consequence they are much more polluting then standard 4-strokes.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

i wish scooters were more popular in the us. its tough riding a super cub while some guy swerves his f350 and yells homo at you

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

i yell "i'm not gay, but honestly there's nothing wrong with it if i were" as my body flies into oncoming traffic

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Good luck riding an electric scooter any place that has winter and potholes lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Blockade posted:

um

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Blockade posted:

i don't know how many electric scooters exist, probably not very many - but going by south/southeast asia i'd say riding scooters with potholes is pretty god drat easy to do. winter less so - although in mumbai i see people riding scooters in monsoons lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
are you aware the europe and asia, and, uh, most other places, have winter and potholes????

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

exmarx posted:

love that the classic american hog response to hearing things could be better, getting shown examples of things being made better, etc. is to go like "well it's not like that now, so it can't happen. what do you want me to do? take 2 buses and walk a bit? in winter???"

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
monza!!!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I wonder if/when there will be an electric Miata

I don't see how they could make one below the 3000 lb mark

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Electric cars are a stupid idea except as toys. Same goes for non-electric cars.

That nuclear car they pitched back in the 1960s seems cool though. Let’s get some of those on the roads.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Blockade posted:

plenty of people seem to do fine on them in NYC winters :shrug:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Also you can get studded tires for bikes that handle snow/ice shockingly well, which means you don’t die until some jackass driving ten over crushes you under his Ford Expedition as he spins into a ditch.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
oh my god 10 over can you imagine

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Smythe posted:

are you aware the europe and asia, and, uh, most other places, have winter and potholes????

I meant those rideshare scooters with the tiny wheels

People wipe out on them all the time here when things ice over

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Blockade posted:

I was meant those rideshare scooters with the tiny wheels

People wipe out on them all the time here when things ice over

half the fun of those is crashing them and hurting yourself

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Those are toys though. Real electric scooters exist and they’re basically vespas with DC motors and they’re fine.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
electric motorscooters are cool but really expensive still and bad range. considering a regular gas one gets 100 miles per gallon i'd stick to those for a bit but idk w/e.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
Scooters are the worst of both worlds, none of the physical exercise/ mechanical simplicity of the bicycle and none of the carrying capacity/ protection of the car. Plus you look stupid on them, still dependent on fuel I could go on and on

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it's not like gasoline is inherently evil or anything, we just have to manage consumption a hell of a lot better than we do now, and doing things like transitioning to mostly public transit, using more motorcycles and mopeds and bicycles, and increasing city density by a lot will go a long way. electric vehicles have a list of drawbacks a mile long too and switching from a diesel pickup to an electric pickup is absolutely not the answer lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

$1 to fart