Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Dobbs_Head posted:

Boys, in particular, tend to be drawn to violent imagery and play. Children process through play. Toy swords, toy guns, etc are part of that.

Yeah this ain't true at all and is a foundational component of toxic masculinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Blinkz0rz posted:

Yeah this ain't true at all and is a foundational component of toxic masculinity.

I don’t know about any of that but my toddler is loving drawn to trucks and construction sites and dirt and mulch. I don’t care for any of it but that dude loving loves it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Problem: kid grabs the slats behind the changing table to get leverage to flip over, reaches through to grab at the blackout curtain, or toss toys into the space which is difficult to reach because the table is secured to the wall.

Solution: $5 worth of foam core, an exacto knife, and a staple gun.

Ugly but that should get us to the point that he's at the table weight limit.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 5, 2021

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Within two days of starting a new daycare following our 1200 mile move, he gets sick. :waycool:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I also have guns locked in a safe, and I’m pretty sure my son also doesn’t know they exist. But he has seen a toy gun somewhere or heard the word because he said it the other day, perhaps he doesn’t know what it means.

Honestly I wouldn’t worry too much. We’ve tried hard to shield our oldest kid from seeing violence on TV or in movies and stuff, but they are gonna get exposed to it sometime. IMHO toddlers are a little young to really understand, much less learn to use guns, so I’m sure a nerf gun or laser tag is fine in the context of play. I get feeling like it’s a huge issue but I don’t think you have anything to worry about, you haven’t yet come to that bridge and maybe won’t for a few more years.

As an aside my son is also into stuff like tractors and trucks. Not entirely positive it’s because he’s a boy, but I know I’ve never steered him toward those things. That said, he’s also been interested in several girls’ toys and watches a show occasionally that one might call a show geared toward girls.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

nwin posted:

I don’t know about any of that but my toddler is loving drawn to trucks and construction sites and dirt and mulch. I don’t care for any of it but that dude loving loves it.

both my girls go apeshit for trucks and excavators and baby dolls the same amount :shrug:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
To be fair

Big trucks are loving cool as hell

Same goes for dinosaurs

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Renegret posted:

Big trucks are loving cool as hell

Until you live near a recycling plant and materials company that has hundreds of dump trucks in and out of it all day every day on the two-lane road you live on

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Who can forget the classic...

Edit: speaking of has anyone else been on a disappointing journey discovering that a lot of "beloved children's classics" are actually really not that great?

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 5, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Blinkz0rz posted:

oh good, an unnecessary six page flame war, thanks :thumbsup:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Hadlock posted:

oh good, an unnecessary six page flame war, thanks :thumbsup:

Hey it’s been civil thus far, flame wars don’t typically last long ITT and I hope one doesn’t start

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Shifty Pony posted:

Who can forget the classic...

Edit: speaking of has anyone else been on a disappointing journey discovering that a lot of "beloved children's classics" are actually really not that great?

Mike Mulligan holds up IMO

Was disappointed by Millions of Cats, which AFAICT is famous because it's old and :patriot:

Any particular ones you disliked?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The very hungry caterpillar and goodnight moon definitely hold up imo.

And it’s not as old but all my kids love The Gruffalo.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Go Dog Go still slaps.

I love how it has a parents get out of book early page in the middle.

These dogs are going to bed! They will sleep all night long.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

External Organs posted:

Go Dog Go still slaps.

I love how it has a parents get out of book early page in the middle.

These dogs are going to bed! They will sleep all night long.

God I loving hate that book. And the busy helicopter one. And some felt pirate treasure map book he got from somewhere.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The ones I really hate are the “5 minute stories” based on whatever property (frozen, Disney princesses, spider man) where they just crank out these awful stories with no redeeming qualities. I like a story that you can get a rhythm going, the best ones really have a feel to it that really help in getting kids settled at bedtime.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Xand_Man posted:

Mike Mulligan holds up IMO

Was disappointed by Millions of Cats, which AFAICT is famous because it's old and :patriot:

Any particular ones you disliked?

"Pat the Bunny" is trash, and "Love You Forever" is creepy as gently caress.

Blueberries for Sal is still great.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
The pokey little puppy can go straight to pokey little hell. :mad:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I feel like the medal winners are more likely to hold up over time. Pretty sure Blueberries for Sal is a Caldecott winner.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Frog and Toad is edgy enough to keep my 14-year-old emergent reader engaged (and is also a favorite of my 2-year-old niece). I'm pretty sure that's the first book he ever willingly read all the way through.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

life is killing me posted:

God I loving hate that book. And the busy helicopter one. And some felt pirate treasure map book he got from somewhere.

Go dog go rules because it ends with 2 dogs leaving a party together

That book fucks

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

That one book where the mom like crawls through her adult son's window to rock him while he's asleep or some poo poo is the creepiest children's book I ever encountered, and I blanket banned it from our lives.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That book, Love You Forever, has that kind of critique a lot like it is meant to be literal. It isn’t, it’s about the unbreakable bond of love between parents and children with an exaggerated style that Munsch uses pretty consistently in his books. That a mother would drive across town at night to get to her son as fast as possible to comfort him, is that weird? The climbing in the window to do it, it’s a goof. It’s potentially the fastest and most direct path and therefore in the service of the story and art the proper choice. Just a silly liberty really. Nothing that kids books don’t do all the time.

I understand doing the whole “whoa that poo poo is WEIRD!” but really, it’s a sweet book with a fantasy element (the elderly mom is picking up her grown son like a baby, come on!) and a lovely message. Its only flaw is that it rips my heart out to read it, it’s almost TOO effective.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Anyone else love all the Sandra Boynton books?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

boquiabierta posted:

Anyone else hate all the Sandra Boynton books?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

:hmmyes:

Caldecott winners are a shortcut to decent books.

Also check out Chris Haughton’s books- they’re colorful and fun without trying too hard to be hip books for cool parents.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nwin posted:

Same here. And mine’s a girl.

I think it’s great to give kids all sorts of opportunities in life, including allowing them to like non-stereotypical things. But I would never teach them to use violence regardless of their sex.

Re: gun chat, looks they stopped selling toy guns around here at some point during my adulthood. I still see colorful water guns in shops during summer.
As a kid, I used to love playing with cap guns but as a dad I def wouldn’t get one for my kid even if they were still in stores.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Caps for Sale is always a hit in our house as long as you act out what is going on in the story.

Edit: My kids have my copy I got as a kid after seeing it on Reading Rainbow.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I think it’s great to give kids all sorts of opportunities in life, including allowing them to like non-stereotypical things. But I would never teach them to use violence regardless of their sex.

idk, I will absolutely teach both my daughter and son effective self defense techniques.

I do think it’s important to have discussions about the rare situations where your kid (or more likely teen) may have to use violence (or project that they could use violence) to get out of a bad situation- both how to avoid it and when to act decisively. There’s a pretty solid difference between that and ‘punching solves problems and shows everyone that You’re A Man’.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

boquiabierta posted:

Anyone else love all the Sandra Boynton books?

I did until I bought a book called “doggies” that is literally just a “count to ten” book that’s loving impossible to read.

1 dog woof

2 dogs woof, Yap-yap

3 dogs…

loving Kill me any time he wants that book. I do like the others because they are quick and he gets three books before bed time.

I don’t like this construction site book my mom bought which is basically a novel and takes 10 minutes to read. I also don’t like my sister in law because she always ends up bringing it back to his room for night time stories instead of hidden on a bookshelf but she’s a whole other story.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Alterian posted:

Caps for Sale is always a hit in our house as long as you act out what is going on in the story.

Yeah I still like Caps for Sale. The Little Engine that Could though, I don't know if it's just my printing or what but I feel like after the first few pages, none of the pictures match up with the text on that page. Sandra Boynton I did not care for until she had some YouTube video where Weird Al played accordion for, so if they're cool then I will continue to feign enthusiasm when singing Snuggle Puppy.

I've thoroughly trained my son to be a little Weird Al because he takes the songs I sing and alters the lyrics to be about garbage trucks. He heard Madonna's Material Girl on the car radio and recognized it as the "Cheerio Boy" song we sing. I also rewrote all of Post Malone's Sunflower to be about diaper changes.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Moo Baa La,La,La! is pretty great but Doggies is awful for the exact reason you mentioned. It just sucks to read. If you want a fun counting book then Stack The Cats is pretty great, it even sneaks a bit of multiplication/division in (Amazon or if you want to splurge you can get it personalized from the author's Etsy)

We're lucky because our neighbor is literally a two-time Newberry Honor winner and has hooked us up with some excellent children's books.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
Amy Krouse Rosenthal’s kids books are really cute

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Pete the cat is drugged up out of his mind and I won't be convinced otherwise

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Speaking of classics that hold up, Where The Wild Things Are is really good to read aloud, it’s got a poetic flow to it that I never consciously noticed as a child.

The dark horse favorite in our house lately is The Teeny Tiny Ghost, which gets our kid to gleefully say “boo!” and is one of the only board books I know that passes the Bechdel Test.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Renegret posted:

Pete the cat is drugged up out of his mind and I won't be convinced otherwise

Right.
He's gotta be high af.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I cannot stand it when my son picks books that are mostly pictures, which I can’t read—we just look at it indefinitely. He’s got a beach object finding book and a Frozen object finding book he chooses a lot and I hate them both because I can’t just read them to him.

I get that interactive books are good for kids but they aren’t great for parents that are tired and just want to read words without doing any interpretation or interaction themselves

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

life is killing me posted:

Hey it’s been civil thus far, flame wars don’t typically last long ITT and I hope one doesn’t start

I ain’t gonna pick a big fight over it. It’s a common disagreement. Although I’d appreciate not being accused of supporting “toxic” behavior.

It’s fairly popular to assert that there aren’t sex based differences in behavior or inclination. I don’t think the data backs that up. But it’s hard to mount that argument, because the typical counter to studies that show sex-based differences in behavior is to claim it’s driven by culture / society. Certainly a portion of it is, but I believe the data shows a substantial portion is innate.

This includes aggression in males. I personally think it will be hard to build a more pleasant/safer world for everyone without acknowledging the biological driving forces behind male violence.

But in the end it doesn’t matter at an individual level. If you treat your kid as an individual, rather than an archetype of a population, you’ll do better parenting.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Dobbs_Head posted:

I ain’t gonna pick a big fight over it. It’s a common disagreement. Although I’d appreciate not being accused of supporting “toxic” behavior.

It’s fairly popular to assert that there aren’t sex based differences in behavior or inclination. I don’t think the data backs that up. But it’s hard to mount that argument, because the typical counter to studies that show sex-based differences in behavior is to claim it’s driven by culture / society. Certainly a portion of it is, but I believe the data shows a substantial portion is innate.

This includes aggression in males. I personally think it will be hard to build a more pleasant/safer world for everyone without acknowledging the biological driving forces behind male violence.

But in the end it doesn’t matter at an individual level. If you treat your kid as an individual, rather than an archetype of a population, you’ll do better parenting.

How do these studies separate innate versus societal. Because once they've been raised in our society for even a few years...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Little dude has 4 molars coming in at once. Possibly 5 now. He's so grumpy.