Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

xarph posted:

I've never heard of such a thing besides those disposable discs that intentionally degraded after four hours, or the circuit city divx things that don't work anymore. Can you post a picture of one?

e: I did some googling and it looks like amazon print on demand discs have CSS encryption yet are burned onto custom DVD-R media. Most drives that can burn discs detect it as burnt rather than pressed media, and assume it doesn't have any encryption.

HDCP is a cruel beast, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rageaholic posted:

I got the Fast & Furious 8 movie collection UHD set from Amazon last week. I've been watching one a night the past couple nights and tonight was Tokyo Drift. The disc froze on the 9th chapter. My player (Xbox Series X) said the disc couldn't be played and to clean it, so I ejected it and went to clean it and the disc appeared spotless. I tried cleaning it anyway but it still froze and wouldn't finish. I'm going to have to return this set to Amazon.

This is the second set in a row I've got from Amazon that I'm going to have to return, the first being the Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz/The World's End trilogy. Shaun of the Dead from that set had the same freezing issue, although that disc was scratched and smudged somehow even though it was my first time playing it and it went right from the case to the player.

This is more likely an issue with the discs than the Xbox, right? I've played several other UHDs with no issue. It's just weird that 2 sets in a row have this freezing issue. Interestingly, they're both Universal sets, so I wonder if it's an issue with Universal discs.

I think the massive data density on UHDs make them much more finicky than DVDs/BRs. There’s probably far less room for error in the manufacturing process, both for the discs and the player.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Did we all know that from cold, totally off w HDMI-CEC enabled, the UBP-X700 will auto-start the disc if you press the Play button? Helps to avoid my annoyance with the stupid design options of the player’s dumb launch menu.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Trying to figure out another movie to buy if I get Sundown from Diabolik. Kind of want something kind of Gothic and not outrageously expensive.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Trying to figure out another movie to buy if I get Sundown from Diabolik. Kind of want something kind of Gothic and not outrageously expensive.

Killer Barbys

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Vol. 3 of Tex Avery Screwball Classics is coming to blu-ray October 5th. I'm excited, the first two sets have been great.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Stupid breakdowns in supply chains and shipping. I’m supposed to be marveling at The Thing in 4K!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Furniture supply chains are still super screwed up. I ordered a couple of nightstands and they’re not supposed to actually show up for 6 weeks.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Casimir Radon posted:

Furniture supply chains are still super screwed up. I ordered a couple of nightstands and they’re not supposed to actually show up for 6 weeks.

lol, I just ordered a sofa this weekend and if I see it in 2021 I will be really happy.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Boywhiz88 posted:

Stupid breakdowns in supply chains and shipping. I’m supposed to be marveling at The Thing in 4K!

Yeah I canceled my Amazon order because I saw diabolik had 5 in stock but now I'm worried that was bullshit and I'll still be waiting.

Edit: jk they just shipped it.

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 8, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The recent Labyrinth 4k anniversary edition is really cool, it's similar to the Princess Bride Criterion where it's like a little storybook, but it also has that clear plastic slip case similar to the recent Total Recall steelbook.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3681953/scream-factorys-krampus-naughty-cut-4k-ultra-hd-release-pushed-back-december/

Krampus: The Naughty Cut got pushed back slightly, to Dec 7th. People were so excited that Shout decided to add more extras, and it sounds like Michael Dougherty is supervising the release himself, so that’s cool. If the response is really really good like it sounds then maybe we’ll get a sequel sooner than later.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm fine with it because I wouldn't have watched it until Christmas anyway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Basebf555 posted:

The recent Labyrinth 4k anniversary edition is really cool, it's similar to the Princess Bride Criterion where it's like a little storybook, but it also has that clear plastic slip case similar to the recent Total Recall steelbook.

Same as the original UHD or different transfer/extras? Don't think I'll be double dipping, but had to laugh it's already in another new edition.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Casimir Radon posted:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3681953/scream-factorys-krampus-naughty-cut-4k-ultra-hd-release-pushed-back-december/

Krampus: The Naughty Cut got pushed back slightly, to Dec 7th. People were so excited that Shout decided to add more extras, and it sounds like Michael Dougherty is supervising the release himself, so that’s cool. If the response is really really good like it sounds then maybe we’ll get a sequel sooner than later.

Is there a specific list of stuff that was cut? I'm super curious and I thought this was a fun movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Same as the original UHD or different transfer/extras? Don't think I'll be double dipping, but had to laugh it's already in another new edition.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I think it's the same transfer with one or two new extras, and new packaging.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Is Krampus worth a blind buy?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there a specific list of stuff that was cut? I'm super curious and I thought this was a fun movie.
I’ve yet to see a list and will probably watch it blind. Some of it is probably lame stuff like dubbed over f-bombs. But I’m hopeful that some of it was gore.

Iron Crowned posted:

If you like Gremlins of horror comedy in general then yes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Same transfer but the review I read said that they added Dolby Vision to this release. So a nice little boost but probably not worth double dipping for unless it's like one of your all-time favorite movies.

Iron Crowned posted:

It has the same charm as Trick r Treat so for me it's a definite yes. I wouldn't say it's unanimously loved though, I think it did have some detractors in the horror thread.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Depends!

It's tonally like Gremlins, and the opening story from Trick r Treat with the woman who doesn't respect Halloween. The cast has David Koechner, Adam Scott, Toni Collette and Conchata Ferrell. It's a solid, mean-spirited creature feature with cool designs. I think making it R-rated or whatever could make it even scarier. I saw it in theaters and thought it was good.

edit: There's also an interesting tone thing, in that the set-up of the film feels like a Hallmark film with a Hollywood budget, with an emphasis on how hanging out with your relatives during the holidays can suck. I remember thinking that was pretty cool, and unique, for a Christmas movie at the time, especially a Christmas Horror film.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 8, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I went into Krampus an extreme skeptic, given that it’s a) modern popcorn horror and b) centered around a thing that had been meme-ified to death beforehand, but it’s honestly loving great.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The monsters were done by Weta Workshop and look awesome. Most of the effects are practical.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The world would be a better place if there were more movies like Krampus.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Iron Crowned posted:

It's one of those movies you watch and go "Yeah that was pretty good." and then never think of again.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Looks like those Shout Factory Halloween UHD's are getting pushed back by a week

quote:

Thank you again for your recent Halloween purchase! To say we're excited about these releases would be a massive understatement. We simply can't wait to usher in October with Michael, Laurie, Dr. Loomis, and the rest of the Haddonfield residents. (Yes, even Wade. Especially Wade.)

We're writing with two updates:

Firstly, we wanted to make sure your address was still the same as when you placed your pre-order. If it has changed, please email us your new address so we can update it on our end. If it's still the same, no need to email.

Finally, we had originally planned for a street date of 9/28 for our Halloween releases, but due to manufacturing delays the release date has been moved to 10/05. We hate postponements as much as you do, but we want to bring you the very best product possible, something that can't be rushed.

Thank you again for your support of the site—we couldn't do what we do without you.

Stay spooky,
Shout! Factory

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Meh. Nothing wrong w Halloween being released in October.

The Thing UHD looks so so good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

It's one of those movies you watch and go "Yeah that was pretty good." and then never think of again.

I watch it every Christmas so speak for yourself

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I watch it every Christmas so speak for yourself

It just didn't grab me the way it did everyone else apparently. And I think David Koechner is always a good time. Have you seen Rare Exports?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Woop my The Thing 4k came in

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I thought Krampus was pretty bad but a lot of that could be related to editing so I've got high hopes for the new cut.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CPL593H posted:

It just didn't grab me the way it did everyone else apparently. And I think David Koechner is always a good time. Have you seen Rare Exports?
Yes it’s another favorite of mine. It’s amazing the result they were able to get with it being relatively cheap to make.

Have you seen Big Game? Same team, same kid stars. Plus Samuel L Jackson, and Jim Broadbent. Not anywhere near as good but it’s decent fun.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Yes it’s another favorite of mine. It’s amazing the result they were able to get with it being relatively cheap to make.

Have you seen Big Game? Same team, same kid stars. Plus Samuel L Jackson, and Jim Broadbent. Not anywhere near as good but it’s decent fun.

I did see Big Game but I remember almost nothing about it. It did not live up to the promises it made.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Has there been anything for a Speed Racer 4k disc? Or are we waiting for Criterion to realize they should do it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shiroc posted:

Has there been anything for a Speed Racer 4k disc? Or are we waiting for Criterion to realize they should do it.

Every time I ask about this I keep getting an answer about how the movie was rendered in 720p or something so bluray is as high as it'll go. But I'm hoping someday AI upscaling will make a 4K edition possible. I hope physical media is still around when that day comes.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I was one of the tiny handful of people who saw Speed Racer in IMAX and it was gorgeous. In my heart I refuse to believe it has a resolution limit unless Lilly and Lana tell me so personally.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

I didn’t like that movie at all honestly. I was deeply disappointed. It wasn’t bad but I really expected a creature feature and I got something else, and that something else didn’t click. I’m not trying to play opposite I just didn’t care for it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shiroc posted:

I was one of the tiny handful of people who saw Speed Racer in IMAX and it was gorgeous. In my heart I refuse to believe it has a resolution limit unless Lilly and Lana tell me so personally.

In 2008 I was probably at my peak Batman fan-ness and saw The Dark Knight in theaters four times (even won a premier ticket to see it a day before it came out.)

I don't know if I had ever seen an episode of Speed Racer before but I also saw that movie four times in theaters, one of those in IMAX. I loving love that movie.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Detective No. 27 posted:

Every time I ask about this I keep getting an answer about how the movie was rendered in 720p or something so bluray is as high as it'll go. But I'm hoping someday AI upscaling will make a 4K edition possible. I hope physical media is still around when that day comes.

It looks like that 1080 was the master so you could blow it up to 4K m. Dunno what that’ll do with the overall PQ, probably would require more post production work than maybe the studio wants to invest? Not sure. Or maybe they’re working on it in secret to see what the reception would be like for the next Matrix and if there is really a crowd out there starving for Wachowski material that isn’t matrix related. I couldn’t say I am. I haven’t really enjoyed much of their output beyond SR or like the first half of V for Vendetta… go buy extra copies of the matrix and v to spur on WB to pull out the rest of their catalog on 4K.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/StudiocanalUK/status/1435883541032747012?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Will they be considerably less disappointing than that last UHD?