Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
About to order new brakes/rotors for an old car. How should I decide between ceramic and semi-metallic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

Thanks, that helps a ton. It's pathetic, I refuse to work on my own cars because I'm lazy, but I'll repair my mom's poo poo.

I'll have them swap the power steering box back out to the one that's not loving gushing fluids. Then I'll tighten this up some and see if that helps with the play.

Is there a way to tell if that's been overtightened?

Not unless it's WAY over tight. You really want to go 1/4 turn at a time, shake the wheel and see if there's play. If there still is, go another 1/4 turn and check again. Once there is no play back it off a bit, tighten down the lock nut and check it again. A little play is okay. Drive it an see. If it's still sloppy give it a bit more. But once you're too far in it feels just fine.

Overtightening it will wear it out faster/use up the rest of your adjustment faster.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zerilan posted:

About to order new brakes/rotors for an old car. How should I decide between ceramic and semi-metallic?

Go for the ceramic, way less brake dust and a sharper brake feel IMO. I went ceramic this time around for my GTI and I'll be replacing them with ceramic set when they wear out.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Do I have anything to worry about in terms of my 06 Yaris's battery if I leave the hatch open for a couple hours at a time ? There's a little light in the boot that comes on which I don't think is an LED.

I'm asking because I'm working out of it with my mobile darkroom - on the road it's not an issue as I'm generally not in one place for that long, but I also use it at home as the bootlid makes it easy to keep the dark cloth suspended, and sometimes I'm messing around for an entire afternoon.

I assume the answer is "not really" but wanted to be sure.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Does the light stay on? Most cars will have lights like that turn off after a short period of time.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Uthor posted:

Does the light stay on? Most cars will have lights like that turn off after a short period of time.

Yeah, there's no way to turn it off, seems to stay on indefinitely. I tried prying the panel open to just remove the bulb but it felt like the plastic was going to break before I got it open, so I backed off.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Do I have anything to worry about in terms of my 06 Yaris's battery if I leave the hatch open for a couple hours at a time ? There's a little light in the boot that comes on which I don't think is an LED.

I'm asking because I'm working out of it with my mobile darkroom - on the road it's not an issue as I'm generally not in one place for that long, but I also use it at home as the bootlid makes it easy to keep the dark cloth suspended, and sometimes I'm messing around for an entire afternoon.

I assume the answer is "not really" but wanted to be sure.

Sounds like you've been doing it for a while already, so I guess the answer is "not really."

There's a pretty big margin in the battery capacity, which will shrink as the battery ages. It will be fine until one day it isn't, when it will be time to replace the battery.

Apparently there isn't an external switch for the hatch light on the Yaris, it's built into the latching mechanism. If you would feel safer with the light out, you can try to jimmy the latch to make it go out, or remove the light bulb completely while you've got the hatch open. It's probably not worth the effort, though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It shouldn't be that hard to change it to an LED if you want. Also for the brake pad it'd be nice to know more about the intended use of this car

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've got a really stupid question

I've got a relay:

It will be connected to the brake light circuit as the trigger and the output is supposed to be normally ground and open when the brake lights are on

Should it be:
30 - Ground
87a - Output wire
85 - Ground
86 - Brake light +

Is this right?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

e: i misunderstood

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I've got a really stupid question

I've got a relay:

It will be connected to the brake light circuit as the trigger and the output is supposed to be normally ground and open when the brake lights are on

Should it be:
30 - Ground
87a - Output wire
85 - Ground
86 - Brake light +

Is this right?

Unless I'm all jacked up that should be correct.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Thank you for the confirmation :)

I was guessing based on the diagram, but wasn't sure if there was something I was missing.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I got the oil changed on my Mazda3 Turbo yesterday, and later noticed that the invoice shows 0W20 while the manual (and oil filler cap) calls for 5W30. When I called them later, they said that the correct oil was used and that the tech probably just keyed in the wrong oil type when generating the invoice. How much sleep should I be losing over the possibility of lower viscosity oil being in my engine?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bouillon Rube posted:

I got the oil changed on my Mazda3 Turbo yesterday, and later noticed that the invoice shows 0W20 while the manual (and oil filler cap) calls for 5W30. When I called them later, they said that the correct oil was used and that the tech probably just keyed in the wrong oil type when generating the invoice. How much sleep should I be losing over the possibility of lower viscosity oil being in my engine?

How is the person on the phone even going to know what oil was used? They're just trying to get you to go away.

You need to call them back and explain that you have an invoice for the wrong type of oil for your vehicle and you need them to do another oil change and for sure use the right oil, just to be sure, and then never go back there again. It's extremely cheap for them to do an oil change. If they decline you need to speak to the business owner or go to the BBB.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Motronic posted:

Not unless it's WAY over tight. You really want to go 1/4 turn at a time, shake the wheel and see if there's play. If there still is, go another 1/4 turn and check again. Once there is no play back it off a bit, tighten down the lock nut and check it again. A little play is okay. Drive it an see. If it's still sloppy give it a bit more. But once you're too far in it feels just fine.

Overtightening it will wear it out faster/use up the rest of your adjustment faster.

I wasn't clear, my apologies. Is there a way to tell if it's out of adjustment?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

I wasn't clear, my apologies. Is there a way to tell if it's out of adjustment?

Yeah.....you have someone shake the steering wheel back and forth while you're looking at it. If the input shaft is moving but the output isn't the gears inside are loose.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

How is the person on the phone even going to know what oil was used? They're just trying to get you to go away.

You need to call them back and explain that you have an invoice for the wrong type of oil for your vehicle and you need them to do another oil change and for sure use the right oil, just to be sure, and then never go back there again. It's extremely cheap for them to do an oil change. If they decline you need to speak to the business owner or go to the BBB.

OK, thanks. At any rate, a few hundred miles with the 0w20 shouldn’t cause any real damage, right?

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

Bouillon Rube posted:

OK, thanks. At any rate, a few hundred miles with the 0w20 shouldn’t cause any real damage, right?

This prompted me to check my dealer oil change receipt from a few months ago, and sure enough they added 0w20 for the normal 2.5.

I assume performance has been the same since this car hasn't seen any cold weather and probably never will.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bouillon Rube posted:

I wouldn't think so but I don't really know Mazda's and if they're picky. Better too thin than too thick I'd think at this time of year.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

norton I posted:

This prompted me to check my dealer oil change receipt from a few months ago, and sure enough they added 0w20 for the normal 2.5.

I assume performance has been the same since this car hasn't seen any cold weather and probably never will.

Right, the N/A 2.5 takes 0W20 while the turbo uses 5W30

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I just paid $180 for a three year warranty battery for a civic. Is that normal these days?

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 6, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What is a 'three year battery'?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I just paid $180 for a three year warranty battery for a civic. Is that normal these days?

It’s a bit high for a standard lead acid battery. If you bought an AGM it’s not as bad.

I don’t know what size battery you bought, but a 51R at my local warehouse club is under 100 bucks

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Walmart has some seriously gigantic batteries for like $45

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

It's a duralast brand with a three year warranty. Grabbed it from aurozone because there's one down the road. In the past I've always bought the cheapest one, but I thought I was being responsible getting something higher quality.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

It's a duralast brand with a three year warranty. Grabbed it from aurozone because there's one down the road. In the past I've always bought the cheapest one, but I thought I was being responsible getting something higher quality.
That is what they want you to think. I would not anticipate a great deal of quality difference in any of the in-house or lower end brands.

(There’s an argument too about some of the perceived higher end batteries, like Optima, but I’ve personally had good experiences with them.)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

They aren't higher quality, you're just paying out the rear end for them to be bothered to maybe replace it in three years. It's plastic, lead, and acid, it's been around since 1859 and is nearly impossible to gently caress up at this point.

Walmart is gonna be half the price for the same warranty vs Autozone, regardless.

edit: If you have the storage, you can buy three Walmart batteries for the price of one with an extended warranty. Keep the extras around in parallel with a cheap trickle charger and a 12v to 120v power inverter so you have an outlet in case of a power outage. Then if your battery every really dies you have a quick swap too.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 6, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Interstate 51R at Costco is $90 with a 3 year warranty. Cheapest 51R I see at Walmart is $120.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 6, 2021

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

Interstate 51R at Costco is $90 with a 3 year warranty. Cheapest 51R I see at Walmart is $120.

Costco has a policy of not allowing more than like a single digit markup from what they pay... yeah by definition they can't rip you off, but you need a membership (or a gift card).

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Ah. Well it's in the car now, but I will know for next time

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

FWIW Costco gas is Top Tier rated and is substantially cheaper than normal gas stations in my area. I routinely get premium for around the same price or even less than regular at Shell or Exxon.

I did the math once and my wife and I save like $350 a year by getting gas exclusively at Costco while membership costs $60

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 6, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Well, first you need to know what's happening, so I suggest you stick your head back there with some illumination and turn the wheel a bit with the car on, in park, with the brake set. You should be able to see, when you look in the gap between the plastic steering wheel trim in the back and the steering column trim, where the rubbing is occurring. You might also find some witness marks with scratching or other markings.

Once you do that, you can then figure out which pieces you need to replace based on which trim piece(s) rub(s). Replacing the pieces will be pretty straightforward - either recessed Philips or Torx bolts and or locking tabs on the plastic. But figure out which pieces first.

If you can't figure out what's rubbing based on the above I have some other ideas but start there.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Is the plastic housing on the back of the wheel detached? Or maybe the housing covering the steering column? Sounds like those two trim pieces are rubbing

Opened up my steering wheel and inspected a bit. Nothing really stood out but I'm hardly a mechanic.

Here is the video me testing the steering wheel with some of the inside open:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bItOABmTDM8

Maybe someone here can find something out of place?

Took some pictures as well:

https://imgur.com/a/dvP4D00

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ah. Well it's in the car now, but I will know for next time

Charles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7rTcBanpMk

Watch this video for some tests. It's not truly scientific.youd need multiple batteries of the same brand. But might give you an idea.

Otherwise go to Costco, it has a long prorated warranty.

Somebody made a TL DW for me but I can't find it at the moment. Need to post from my laptop for proper search.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

My nearest Costco is 100 miles away. Apparently I'm missing out. I do get Wegmans, though

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My nearest Costco is 100 miles away. Apparently I'm missing out. I do get Wegmans, though

Why the gently caress do people go crazy over Wegmans? The produce sucks 9/10 times, steak is overpriced, and a lot of the store brand options blow.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nwin posted:

Why the gently caress do people go crazy over Wegmans? The produce sucks 9/10 times, steak is overpriced, and a lot of the store brand options blow.

Because for some of us our options are Acme, Giant or Wegmans. It's clearly the best of those three at least around here.

And I don't buy meat at the grocery store because I'm lucky enough to have a properly good butcher (located on their family farm) close by.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

nwin posted:

I've lived in Wegmans territory most of my life. That said, the six months I was in Virginia and I only had access to A Giant was eye opening.

Also, steak is overrated.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Wegmans isn’t that bad. And I’ve been spoiled for supermarket riches my whole life

It’s definitely not at all like Costco tho

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Bouillon Rube posted:

FWIW Costco gas is Top Tier rated and is substantially cheaper than normal gas stations in my area. I routinely get premium for around the same price or even less than regular at Shell or Exxon.

I did the math once and my wife and I save like $350 a year by getting gas exclusively at Costco while membership costs $60

Is there any difference in gas really in a modern engine? I just get whatever's cheapest x most convenient (So like, Arco > Chevron (if i have safeway points) > *) . Costco's gas was never convenient for me - when we did have a membership we'd use them on the road, but bay area costcos are madhouses on a good day and the one in SF doesn't have gas.

I went to a Lucky's for the first time out here and it felt like an anomaly. Wide, spacious aisles, not super crowded, a meat counter that looked actually good. We normally shop at a small mom & pop chain since they have great produce and meat. Cramped af, but so are the safeways and whole foodses here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

luminalflux posted:

Is there any difference in gas really in a modern engine? I just get whatever's cheapest x most convenient (So like, Arco > Chevron (if i have safeway points) > *) . Costco's gas was never convenient for me - when we did have a membership we'd use them on the road, but bay area costcos are madhouses on a good day and the one in SF doesn't have gas.

I went to a Lucky's for the first time out here and it felt like an anomaly. Wide, spacious aisles, not super crowded, a meat counter that looked actually good. We normally shop at a small mom & pop chain since they have great produce and meat. Cramped af, but so are the safeways and whole foodses here too.

Re: does gas matter, vehicles that aren't direct injection benefit from additives that clean the intake tract. Various octane levels let certain types of engines advance and retard timing for better mileage and performance. Between two brands at the same octane I'd advise it doesn't really matter. Some fuel uses higher ethanol content than others also so something to keep in mind I guess.