Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Ronwayne posted:

AAAAH loving CHRIST :psyduck:

Had a meeting with a new counselor. i got some good info but overall I'm kinda pissed. He prided himself on being "blunt" which meant talking loudly to me in a preacher/outside voice from six feet away, reminding me i'm almost 40 and need to have some kind of plan in case my current situation becomes worse

He wants me to go to this local in-patient clinic that doesn't permit electronics/phones/laptops, and I'd have to stay there, without leaving, until the caseworker gets me medicaid, which may take weeks. I would not be allowed to leave the premises or the medicaid process will end.

I was told this was the only real mental health facility located here and I'd just have to deal with the restrictions. I'm sorry, if i have to choose between suicidal thoughts and voluntary minimum security prison, I'll take the risk involved with the former.
I said i'd go look at what they offer but I'm only going to get information on what out-patient stuff they have and any info i can get from the caseworkers on getting medicaid for me.

But Jesus H.

"You can sit in your car in the parking lot but someone will stay next to you the entire time"

Motherfucker did you not get my years long history with hating authority figures bossing me around.

No, you read my medical history and then lectured me for an hour in that 'big boss man taking no poo poo and speaking TRUTH' horseshit every toxic authority figure has hurt me with my entire loving life.

That loving sucks; like they're there gate keepers to mental health but only if you agree with their approach.
Just give me the loving meds you shithead, why do I have to complete a 12 step program just to get some support?
My cannabis is cheaper than the list price on any good anti-depressants without insurance.

Personal note:
Im at the end of the first month on escitalopram; and excluding a pretty serious mental breakdown a couple weeks ago I've been feeling so much better.
I can go to work again! the idea of leaving the house to go to the site doesn't make me want to lay on the floor in a ball! I've even started looking forward to things again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I'm out of town and on a little laptop, so writing is awkward. I just wanna say that I relate to therapist frustrations. I genuinely like my psych team as people, but I think I'm about to fire them. My therapist told me that I'm my psychiatric nurse practitioner's favorite patient, and that felt really loving weird. I feel like I'm held up as some kind of mentally ill poster child by people who do not have a diagnosis. I have some responsibilities at my local NAMI that I do my best to meet, and it stresses me the hell out. It just seems as if "progress" is measured by the appearance of productivity, rather than a person's actual wellbeing. We wish cancer patients would get better, and we wish mental health patients would get back to work.

Zurtilik posted:

Everyone who sees that I am stressed about the world just tells me that "There's nothing I can do to change the world, and that I just need to worry about myself."

This has not brought the kind of comfort they think it has. Even my therapist just seems to drop a bunch of 'serenity prayer' level advice my way. Last year I was at least able to hide in my house. Work won't let me now. Just gotta go out each day and deal with people making bad decisions.

I saw this right before I left, and I keep thinking about it. It seems like the prevailing advice is to separate the world into things you can change, and things you can't change. I'm still really struggling with the idea of acceptance. I know it has different meanings to different people. A part of me wonders if I would feel better if I could "accept" that the world is hosed and I'm powerless to change it. I honestly don't think I'm capable of accepting that, and I don't think I would want to do so if I could.

I'm trying to work on my black and white thinking, and I'm seeing more things as tradeoffs rather than better or worse. I think there's a tradeoff to be made in how much I care about the world at large, versus how much I focus on myself. I'm not sure I can actually change what I care about, but I can at least try to fixate on different things. It bugs me to no end when people tell me what I should and should not care about. I've been posting about my friend who is being physically abused by her husband, and someone close to me recently told me to not become "too invested" in her safety.

I feel like I might be lying to myself, but I believe there is a chance of positive change. A lot of problems are not going away, and things like climate change will continue to get worse. I know that few things I do will have any impact on the big picture whatsoever, but I feel like just giving up on the big picture is morally wrong (for me) and not really helpful for my mental wellbeing. I get some feeling of making a difference by helping out at NAMI, and even just posting in this thread. I rationally know that it's not a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but it's enough to help me get by.

I think anyone who tells us to stop caring is likely someone who never cared in the first place.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

CODChimera posted:

Yeah I understand, I was in a similar situation earlier this year. If you can find a way over that initial anxiety then it can be great. It's probably my most favourite hobby now

Honestly it's pretty easy to manage, basically just make sure you set most of it before people arrive and that you know the rules and it should be fine. Oh and have some drink options

Will definitely take you up on this advice. I know we're trying to host some stuff for Halloween, so I'm excited to break out the nice placemats.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Zurtilik posted:

I like my therapist as a person but I don't think she's doing much for me.

I really don't want to go therapist hunting again though. She does evenings and weekends. AGHHH!!!

Communicating your needs with your therapist is not as uncommon as you might think. Part of what helps therapist and counselors across the board is having a client that can effectively articulate and communicate what is and isn't working. That friction point might be anxiety provoking, but I feel as though you may benefit from it quite a bit.

Let me know how everything works out.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I will give that a try. Thank you!

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Josherino posted:

Communicating your needs with your therapist is not as uncommon as you might think. Part of what helps therapist and counselors across the board is having a client that can effectively articulate and communicate what is and isn't working. That friction point might be anxiety provoking, but I feel as though you may benefit from it quite a bit.

Let me know how everything works out.

This is what enraged me about my visit. He didn't ask anything about me, he told me how it was gonna be and just pressured me to do things and told me I had to suck it up and didn't let me say that the haunting nightmare of my entire life is people bossing me around while I try to get through life.

...god, I just realized, he was talking poo poo about how my mental health was only "moderately" bad and if that torpedos my second social security disability case...I don't know where the gently caress to go.

While trying to get social security disability, if a *single* one of these rotating cast of randos and assholes says I'm not severely disabled to the point of not being able to work, the judge will gently caress me, and another year of trying will go to waste.

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 14:33 on Sep 3, 2021

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Ronwayne posted:

This is what enraged me about my visit. He didn't ask anything about me, he told me how it was gonna be and just pressured me to do things and told me I had to suck it up and didn't let me say that the haunting nightmare of my entire life is people bossing me around while I try to get through life.

...god, I just realized, he was talking poo poo about how my mental health was only "moderately" bad and if that torpedos my second social security disability case...I don't know where the gently caress to go.

While trying to get social security disability, if a *single* one of these rotating cast of randos and assholes says I'm not severely disabled to the point of not being able to work, the judge will gently caress me, and another year of trying will go to waste.

That sounds awful. I'm so sorry you have to deal with someone like that. I don't know how much control you have over who you see, but holy poo poo I'd do my best to find someone else. I had a therapist who was bad enough that I reported him to the insurance company. They of course did nothing, and didn't even seem to listen to the actual complaint. It's really hard to be assertive when you're in a bad state of mind, and I hate to think how many people that guy just steamrolls.

EDIT: I wonder if there's a way to effectively advocate based on this issue. I've encountered a number of mental health professionals who don't know what the gently caress they're doing, some who don't care, and some who seem to actively dislike the peers they're dealing with. I feel like a whole lot of people in mental health really need peers to get together and tell them what's up. I want to get into some form of advocacy that doesn't involve asking politicians and wealthy people for money.

Uganda Loves Me has issued a correction as of 15:47 on Sep 3, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
That's pretty much my experience with therapists too. I guess it must work for a certain percentage of people who are depressed but still functioning well enough to get themselves an appointment, but it did more harm than good for me.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

thotsky posted:

That's pretty much my experience with therapists too. I guess it must work for a certain percentage of people who are depressed but still functioning well enough to get themselves an appointment, but it did more harm than good for me.

that loving sucks. if u feel like sharing what part did more harm than good?

also side note for everyone itt u can report [anonymously] bad therapists to their governing body and at least in california they definitely get read and investigated and people do get reprimanded etc. if there are a lot they can lose their license. every quarter camft puts out a magazine and theres a wall of shame in the back with outcomes of investigations. i know its hard to summon the energy to report a therapist but i guess im saying u still have agency, it's not like reporting a cop. if its a psychiatrist...well...they report to a dif governing body and ill just say its good to choose ur battles there. doctors are backed by big pharma so

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

thehandtruck posted:

that loving sucks. if u feel like sharing what part did more harm than good?

also side note for everyone itt u can report [anonymously] bad therapists to their governing body and at least in california they definitely get read and investigated and people do get reprimanded etc. if there are a lot they can lose their license. every quarter camft puts out a magazine and theres a wall of shame in the back with outcomes of investigations. i know its hard to summon the energy to report a therapist but i guess im saying u still have agency, it's not like reporting a cop. if its a psychiatrist...well...they report to a dif governing body and ill just say its good to choose ur battles there. doctors are backed by big pharma so

That sounds good. I just want to clarify that there are a lot of good mental health professionals that I met. I think a lot of people at least get into it because they care, but it feels like neoliberalism trained them wrong (as a joke). I'm sure the amount of poo poo they go through on a routine basis is huge, and they are prepared to deal with angry/mean/difficult peers. Most seem totally unprepared to be challenged in an intelligent and well-informed manner, though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Its also like any sort of doctor, on average if your legs broken or whatever you're better off getting it checked out but sometimes you just get stuck with a moron. Doesn't mean the whole practice is useless but it can definitely happen

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Just because that one douchebag kept crying wolf until he got killed doesn't mean that all shepherds are dumbass liars.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Except the villagers didn't get their lives destroyed when the boy cried wolf and it was a false alarm. lovely therapists can damage you even more, to the point where the risk of constantly seeing new ones might be even greater than receiving no therapy at all.

Sometimes it feels more like a wolf in a sheep suit telling another sheep their wolf-related anxieties are completely irrational and harmful.

Even when done correctly, therapy is, at least for me, exhausting and draining. I have to bring yet another individual up to speed on the decades long wrestling opera as I swing wildly at whatever demons are haunting the bare caverns of my skull.

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 08:03 on Sep 4, 2021

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I think there are significant systemic problems in the mental health field that lead to the empowering of bad people, but also good people being misled. The individuals need to be dealt with, but the underlying system seems to be the real problem to me. I'm realizing more and more how much ideology is baked into therapy. Being on the left seems to be conflated with "extremism" and not being a centrist seems to be treated as immature and black and white thinking. These problems are obviously bigger than individual therapists and the therapy field itself. I do think there's room for advocacy within the system.

It feels like every therapist I spoke with is working towards making me more "productive." In NAMI, I deal mostly with family members of peers, and their focus is heavily on getting their loved ones back to work. I see the usefulness in getting me to a point where I function like everyone else, but it feels like one long guilt trip. When I start to find some acceptance of who I am and where I'm at, I start hearing questions like "do you want to live with your parents forever?" Of course I want independence! I've worked my rear end off just to be stable enough to survive, though. Having my poverty framed as a personal problem doesn't motivate me. It makes me want to die.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

What the definition of "physical health" is is highly ideological. What the definition of 'mental health' is is almost entirely ideological. When you get past the howling, non-lucid schizophrenics and extreme cases, society has to pass judgement on what constitutes a proper mind, and that mind is apparently one that holds down a job and doesn't complain too much about stuff.

And I guess like that goon above experienced, apparently reporting dissidents and potential ones to three letter agencies.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Ronwayne posted:

What the definition of "physical health" is is highly ideological. What the definition of 'mental health' is is almost entirely ideological. When you get past the howling, non-lucid schizophrenics and extreme cases, society has to pass judgement on what constitutes a proper mind, and that mind is apparently one that holds down a job and doesn't complain too much about stuff.

And I guess like that goon above experienced, apparently reporting dissidents and potential ones to three letter agencies.

I fully agree. I like to tell people that mental health is physical health. I think mental health is a useful term in the same way cardiology or urology are useful terms. They're just more specific terms for different aspects of our physical health. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir again, but it still gets me that people act like the most complex organ in our bodies can't have physical problems.

I'm visiting my brother in silicon valley, and it's overall been a nice experience. We had a fun game night with a few fully vaccinated people. Holy poo poo do I feel out of place, though. I'm staying in his brand new 4 story house. He and his family kept critiquing our mutual friends for their poor motivation and career choices. They kept telling me how these people are getting older with no retirement plan, and that if they just tried they could get 6 figure jobs. It felt like they were using these people as proxies to talk about me. I feel like I have to continually prove my worth as a human being to everyone but the peers who are close to me. I know I could try to set boundaries, but that would just be a superficial fix. They're still going to think and say the same things behind my back, and the message will come through to me one way or another.

I've realized that there's a divide between me and most of my family that will only ever widen. I'm struggling to maintain my own wellbeing, and trying to help people I care about with the same thing. My brother and his family are concerned about that low-income housing project nearby, the fact that they see homeless people sometimes, and the awful service they get from minimum wage and sub-minimum wage workers. They don't even bother explaining why these are real problems. They acknowledge that more housing would help, but they explained that increasing the housing supply isn't in their best interest as property owners.

I used to think of my ideology as something abstract that existed only in the back of my mind. I feel slow on the uptake, because I'm only recently seeing that it permeates everything. It created irreconcilable differences between me and the people I love. They seem to bemoan the very existence of the many service workers who make their quality of life possible. I find myself relating far more to the strangers delivering groceries and preparing food than to people I've known my whole life.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Maybe its because I'm pushed past the point of exasperation but I told my parents if they hated communism, then they had better find a way to shelter, feed, and house all these houseless people or communists are going to have an easy time recruiting and handing out guns.

Well off upper petit boug seem not to grasp that that huge swathe of america they look down on could easily rise up, kill them, and take their stuff, and upon realizing that, instead of asking why they'd be the bad guy, the typically go full fash.

That's what would worry me Uganda, I personally, would push to see what would happen, but I fear your brother and his friends would reveal themselves to be vile technofash willing to unleash any kind of violence necessary to protect their little sliver of private property in alliance with the rich.

The 1% is the primary enemy, buts its the minor nobility, the 2%-10% that make it possible for them to rule. I guess they're counting on the technology they are creating in alliance with the security state to make both peaceful and violent revolution impossible. We certainly saw federal and state agencies, both electoral and enforcement, whip out some sick turn on a dime moves with endless money to back them up and try to memory hole that police stations can be taken and burned and that socdems attempting to infiltrate the DNC would be almost instantly shut down in a spectacular manner.

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 09:10 on Sep 5, 2021

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Yeah I don't think there's a lot of light of day between them and the unabashed fascists. I listened to one go on a protracted rant about everything that was wrong with the alt-right, and he ended up describing himself to a "t." I'd love to see what they do when asked to pinpoint themselves in relation to others on a political spectrum. I have a feeling it'd look very different from something I'd draw. I wonder how many would unironically draw a horseshoe to put me closer to the fascists than them.

I generally like people, and want to have good experiences with them. I try to find a bit of common ground, and inject a bit of ACAB here and some eat the rich there. I'll mention that some people are many orders of magnitude wealthier than us, and that the rules are fundamentally different for them. Some will agree, and some are probably just humoring me. My interests are different than theirs, though. I think it'd take a huge shift in material circumstances to even have a chance of changing that.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i dont think i will ever be happy again. everything will just get worse all the time, and i will fail at everything i try forever. i will always get an inch from achieving something, from being something, and then i will fail. it's what i've done my whole life and i have this giant pile of things i failed at and nothing i can point to and call a success. nothing at all. the best i can hope for is an existence where i stop trying to have hobbies or care about things and just spend 4-5 decades working and never getting ahead and never being anything more than what i am now, probably less in fact. the part of my life where i could have achieved things is over. now i just deal with having failed for the rest of my life. it seems pointless. I will never have kids, I will never have any future worth looking forward to. I wish I was dead.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

empty whippet box posted:

i dont think i will ever be happy again. everything will just get worse all the time, and i will fail at everything i try forever. i will always get an inch from achieving something, from being something, and then i will fail. it's what i've done my whole life and i have this giant pile of things i failed at and nothing i can point to and call a success. nothing at all. the best i can hope for is an existence where i stop trying to have hobbies or care about things and just spend 4-5 decades working and never getting ahead and never being anything more than what i am now, probably less in fact. the part of my life where i could have achieved things is over. now i just deal with having failed for the rest of my life. it seems pointless. I will never have kids, I will never have any future worth looking forward to. I wish I was dead.

For what it's worth, your posts have stood out to me as pretty decent for a while now. I think it's cool that you create stuff like the buttons. Did you manage to get a working CPAP? I have a lot of the same feelings, and peer support at least helps me cope. I feel like the people I meet at NAMI and in this thread actually get me, which is something I don't really find anywhere else. I guarantee none of the thread regulars see you as a failure. Poverty is awful, and I wish I had more than cold comfort to offer.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
e - in retrospect I feel this issue is too minor to complain about online

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Sep 6, 2021

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Casey Finnigan posted:

Just my perspective, but if it affects you, it matters. There's a good chance people are experiencing something similar to you, and there may be other stuff that matters but isn't foremost in your thoughts. I encourage people to :justpost:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah, the idea pain must meet some threshhold before it's "real" is bullshit. If its genuinely bothering you and preventing you from going about life, its a real problem.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Zurtilik posted:

I will give that a try. Thank you!

Sounds great! At the end of the day - you're in control. There's no shame or harm in telling your therapist, "Hey, this isn't working out for me" if you feel like you aren't benefiting from it. I know therapist shopping can be really discouraging, but it's completely okay and normal to take your time and find a new one if need be.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Casey Finnigan posted:

Regardless of how major or minor an obstacle may be - you're more than allowed to feel the way you do.

Whatever you may be experiencing or enduring, friend, it matters.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I've been struggling with thoughts of suicide for about two days now.
I'm medicated, 40 mg Prozac, 5mg Abilify, smoke a ton of weed, have a therapist appointment in a week and I still don't want to press continue on the game of life. I spent half an hour on the phone with the local suicide hotline yesterday morning before they tried to shuffle me off the line. I feel like everyone who is supposed to care treats me like a problem or a transaction.
Proximate cause: intrusive thoughts of love for my best friend, she's rebuffed me multiple times. I don't know how to keep her as a friend and not feel broken hearted every time I see her. Also there's the internal editor who can see that this is lame incel bullshit and makes me feel worse for feeling this way.
Further background: I'm 27, friend same age, we've known each other for 20 years. I'm autistic and have been dealing with depression since age 7. I don't really have another contender for best friend, have a fair number of acquaintances but even before pandemic times rarely made anyone's guest list. Basically only get out to anything with my best friend. I don't enjoy outdoor group physical activity which seems the only place you're allowed to meet strangers anymore. The pandemic is never getting better because 40% of people will never get vaccinated in my area. I thought I was getting along with my coworkers but they seem to hang out with each other outside work without me pretty regularly. I can count on one hand the times I've done that.

TL;DR: Want to KMS because nobody wants to spend time with me because I suck.

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I'm medicated, 40 mg Prozac, 5mg Abilify, smoke a ton of weed, have a therapist appointment in a week and I still don't want to press continue on the game of life. I spent half an hour on the phone with the local suicide hotline yesterday morning before they tried to shuffle me off the line. I feel like everyone who is supposed to care treats me like a problem or a transaction.
Proximate cause: intrusive thoughts of love for my best friend, she's rebuffed me multiple times. I don't know how to keep her as a friend and not feel broken hearted every time I see her. Also there's the internal editor who can see that this is lame incel bullshit and makes me feel worse for feeling this way.
Further background: I'm 27, friend same age, we've known each other for 20 years. I'm autistic and have been dealing with depression since age 7. I don't really have another contender for best friend, have a fair number of acquaintances but even before pandemic times rarely made anyone's guest list. Basically only get out to anything with my best friend. I don't enjoy outdoor group physical activity which seems the only place you're allowed to meet strangers anymore. The pandemic is never getting better because 40% of people will never get vaccinated in my area. I thought I was getting along with my coworkers but they seem to hang out with each other outside work without me pretty regularly. I can count on one hand the times I've done that.

Finding friends that actually care about you and like you for who you are is one of the most random things.
I was lucky to have two really close friends that would put up with annoying ten year old me but after that I went through a lot of lovely fake friends feeling like I was just not very likeable; until my early twenties when I found a cool group of people and made a few of my best friends today.

Honestly I learned that it's ok for people to like you but not want to see you all the time or not like you as much as someone else; those things don't mean you suck, it's ok to be fond of someone but not have the emotional energy to let them into your life, and sometimes people just click and there's no good explanation for it.

It's hard to build your social family with the right people no matter who you are

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Seatbelts said it well already. Please stay safe. It sounds like you're doing a lot of proactive things to try and feel better. Have you seen this therapist yet? Also, some places have daily outpatient programs for people who are going through a rough time, but don't want to be inpatient. You could try demanding to see your therapist or someone else sooner. Depending on where you are, that might or might not work. I got connected to my local NAMI a few years ago, and I feel like I have made multiple good friends who actually know me. There's probably some form of peer network where you are. My PMs are open to anyone. I'm glad you posted this. I know how hard it is for me to talk about these things.

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Thank you for sharing what you're enduring. I want to extend that although what you're experiencing is true and unique to you and only you - you aren't alone. I wish your experience with the hotline was different, and I'm sorry if it exacerbated or complicated the position you're in and how you're feeling. I do want to give you tons of credit for taking the initiative and picking up the phone. It takes a lot of strength to even seek help, and the fact that you've made the commitment to see a therapist says a lot about your ability to stay resilient.

As chaotic and permanent these feelings may be surrounding the entire pandemic, I want to assure you that it's temporary. Sometimes we just have to wiggle our toes in the morning to stay grounded in the moment, and sometimes that's all we can do.

Please stay safe, and if you'd like to share your experiences with your future therapist, we here would love to hear how it went.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I’m utterly losing it.

The world is headed towards the abyss and I’m stuck here. My life is just literally waiting to die. My therapist is trying to get me to start living normally again now that I am vaxxed but I read enough studies and news to know that there is no going back. People around me just want to go back to normal as soon as possible. Meanwhile the only people who know what’s really going on just say to stay masked and remain indoors as much as possible.

I just don’t see the point. Everything will just keep getting worse. How can you live like this?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I think those are very normal feelings during this time. I'm sorry you're experiencing this too.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

AceOfFlames posted:

I’m utterly losing it.

The world is headed towards the abyss and I’m stuck here. My life is just literally waiting to die. My therapist is trying to get me to start living normally again now that I am vaxxed but I read enough studies and news to know that there is no going back. People around me just want to go back to normal as soon as possible. Meanwhile the only people who know what’s really going on just say to stay masked and remain indoors as much as possible.

I just don’t see the point. Everything will just keep getting worse. How can you live like this?

personally I cope with weed, video games and exercise

how this works in practice is the weed makes the video games more fun for longer and the exercise releases endorphins to paper over any of the existential dread that seeps through

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme
Hello fellow lock down buddies.

I am doing a little music quiz in a GBS thread tonight if you want to play along.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3978982

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

WhyZodiac posted:

Hello fellow lock down buddies.

I am doing a little music quiz in a GBS thread tonight if you want to play along.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3978982

I've been hoping to see more music stuff from you. Cool!

EDIT: I followed the thread and lol'ed at the new avatar. I would've gotten the fresh prince theme song correct if I had actually been brave enough to post my answer. Glad you got participation.

Uganda Loves Me has issued a correction as of 19:02 on Sep 11, 2021

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
When I get really angry about the state of the world I remind myself that I am a poor person of questionable mental health and shouldn't hold myself accountable for America. That's not to say I'm not right about everything but it helps the feeling that I'm somehow making things worse or not helping enough.

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme

Uganda Loves Me posted:

EDIT: I followed the thread and lol'ed at the new avatar. I would've gotten the fresh prince theme song correct if I had actually been brave enough to post my answer. Glad you got participation.

I don't mind the new avatar but don't get the reference. - Edit: Forgot they did explain it in the thread, apparently comes from this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc9l7pygQRo

You should have joined in, shall do another in a month or so, join in on that one.

WhyZodiac has issued a correction as of 09:17 on Sep 12, 2021

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

WhyZodiac posted:

I don't mind the new avatar but don't get the reference. - Edit: Forgot they did explain it in the thread, apparently comes from this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc9l7pygQRo

You should have joined in, shall do another in a month or so, join in on that one.

Yeah I don't recognize the reference. I think they were just trying to be funny by giving you something that looked awful. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the next thread!

I'm pretty much always listening to music, and always looking for new stuff. I usually use Spotify these days, but I used to track down mp3 discographies of the bands that I was interested in. I only very recently started putting together actual playlists of stuff that fits a certain mood. I have one for stuff that's a bit melancholic, one for stuff that motivates me to get out in the world and kick rear end, and one that just makes me feel good. I get bad depression with anhedonia, which means there are times where I'm not really capable of enjoying most stuff. Music has always been there for me, though. I have a few instruments available to try learning if I can summon the motivation.

EDIT: Instead of posting my usual political rants on facebook, I've been posting my favorite songs and explaining why I like them. I'm doing my best to keep a record of my writings. I have journal entries, then more directed writings like this one.
-----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LemG0cvc4oU

One of my favorite bands singing one of my favorite songs. It's hard to believe this song is 50 years old. It doesn't use pronouns the way you'd expect someone to use them today, but in a way it was far ahead of its time. The LGBT fight has been around for a very long time, and it's inspiring to see people who actually stood up to the unrelenting bigotry and managed to reach international success in doing so. I've heard so many people excusing the monstrous actions of our predecessors by saying "it was a different time," as if people had no choice but to go along with the hatred. It wasn't a different time, and we're still doing monstrous things. I guarantee people will say "it was a different time" to excuse our actions. Ray Davies said, “It really doesn’t matter what sex Lola is, I think she’s alright.” Lola lived her best life, and that's awesome.

Uganda Loves Me has issued a correction as of 16:14 on Sep 12, 2021

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Hope everyone's holding up okay. I got back from my trip a few days ago, and I'm feeling crummy. My lymph nodes are swollen to the point where I thought I put on enough weight to have a double chin. I'm not a heavyset person. I got a covid test today, and I'll just stay home and isolate until I get the results. I'm fully vaccinated with Moderna as of May, but I know that isn't 100%. Apparently the effectiveness of the vaccination drops off after a few months, too. I'm skipping my in-person support group tomorrow just to be safe. We mask up and spread out, but that's not great protection. I was really looking forward to seeing them after being out of town last week. I brought an n95 mask to the airport, but I didn't think I could handle carrying my duffel bag while wearing it. I used a cloth mask, which I know isn't very effective. I'm in decent shape, but I can't really handle exerting myself while wearing a mask. I remember feeling like I was going to pass out while moving some (admittedly heavy) packages at UPS a while back. I shouldn't have flown at all. I made plans for the trip before the delta variant was widespread, but it was still a risk before then.

I'm waiting for a call from my doctor to have a video appointment. I was going to ask about the lymph nodes and my probably broken foot. I think I just broke a toe or 2, but I think I should make sure it heals properly. I have an in-person appointment Wednesday. I'll be sure to use the n95 mask. I probably don't have covid, but I don't want to risk getting anyone sick anyway. I hope the covid results come through before the appointment.

Also, I have a fun anecdote! A buddy of mine had a really bad case of covid, even though he was fully vaccinated. His workplace made him take 2 weeks off to quarantine. He decided to spend his quarantine at a friend's place, out of state. He contacted me late in the evening to ask if I could drive him 2+ hours each way to the airport at 5:30am the next morning. He said he tested negative after a week or so of bad symptoms, so he thought it was okay. I declined to give him a ride. This was the one guy out of my high school buddies who I really liked. He's a mildly popular streamer, and I'm wondering if his nice guy routine was just a way of promoting his "brand." Yes, he talks about a personal brand.

I still haven't followed up with the social worker about the friend who is in an abusive marriage. I called, texted, and emailed in a timely manner. The social worker answered one of my calls, but hasn't contacted me back. The email never went through, so she may think I didn't follow through. I'll call again, but it's stressing me out and I feel like the husband already got away with it. I can at least make sure there's a record of this, though.

I really appreciate the folks in this thread and at NAMI. Peer support is incredibly helpful.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

does playing guitar make you more or less tedious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

StashAugustine posted:

does playing guitar make you more or less tedious

It looks like a fun skill that could open new social avenues. I imagine it depends if people want to hear you play or not. Maybe just ask before busting out the guitar? I have a lot of respect for anyone who sticks with an instrument. I took some music lessons as a kid, and it just felt like work.